• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's three different skill trees you can develop your character along, you know, the standard wizard, ranger and fighter lines. I went with pure melee and the combat is a lot of fun once you unlock a few skills.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oh shit, I forgot about Divinity II. I was pretty far into it (a bit after getting the Dragon Tower) before I dropped it for The Witcher 2. I should go back to it sometime.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Princess Skittles said:
Steam Summer Sale 2011 |OT| Buying Games to Never Play.

Steam Summer Sale 2011 |OT| It Can Get Cheaper.

Steam Summer Sale 2011 |OT| Based Gabe versus GAF Bank Accounts.

Sorry, I'm bored.

Steam Summer Sale 2011 |OT| NO! Vampire: The Masquerade Won't be on sale just buy the frigging game!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Princess Skittles said:

Sorry, I'm bored.

QrBR3.png

Corky said:
Steam Summer Sale 2011 |OT| NO! Vampire: The Masquerade Won't be on sale just buy the frigging game!

I support this sentiment.
And I don't even own the game! Waiting on a sale, you see.

So how is Divinity II?

Is it very complicated ? because my father asked me to recommend to him a good WRPG (he is waiting for "oblivion 2" ).... I though to wait and see if Risen came up in the summer sale, but I've always been curious about this Divinity II.

eznark

Banned
MesserWolf said:
So how is Divinity II?

Is it very complicated ? because my father asked me to recommend to him a good WRPG (he is waiting for "oblivion 2" ).... I though to wait and see if Risen came up in the summer sale, but I've always been curious about this Divinity II.

Why have you not recommended Witcher 2 yet?

Clydefrog

MesserWolf said:
So how is Divinity II?

I'd recommend it. I paid $20 for it during last December's Steam's Holiday Sale.

If he doesn't mind older WRPGs, then I'd definitely direct him over to GOG.com and tell him to buy Gothic 2 (similar to Risen) and Divine Divinity (you will get some references in D2 if you play D1 first).

gdt

MesserWolf said:
he didn't like the combat of the 1st

The combat is completely different in two. It's pretty awesome, IMO, though it could use some more balancing/tweaking.

It plays like Demon's Souls meets Arkham Asylum.

Clydefrog said:
I'd recommend it. I paid $20 for it during last December's Steam's Holiday Sale.

If he doesn't mind older WRPGs, then I'd definitely direct him over to GOG.com and tell him to buy Gothic 2 (similar to Risen) and Divine Divinity (you will get some references in D2 if you play D1 first).
he already played and enjoyed Gothic 2 (and even BG saga).

Anyhow I think I'll gift the game (divII) to him....

Princess Skittles said:

Sorry, I'm bored.

Steam Summer Sale 2011 |OT| I'll Buy it at a Low Price! Stranger.

I was really hoping the Quake pack would be on super sale today as the daily deal because it's Quake's 15th birthday... :\

I also saw an article that reported FFVII and FFVIII were on the steam servers, though it was unlikely we'd ever see them for sale. :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
corrosivefrost said:
I was really hoping the Quake pack would be on super sale today as the daily deal because it's Quake's 15th birthday... :\

I also saw an article that reported FFVII and FFVIII were on the steam servers, though it was unlikely we'd ever see them for sale. :(

The earlier PC FFs have been in the Steam registry for years now, if I'm not mistaken. Seems strange that Squeenix haven't flipped the proverbial switch considering they snatched up Eidos, who published the PC versions of the games.

plc268

corrosivefrost said:

FFVII and FVIII were reported to be in the steam registry a while (over a year ago) back. I never verified the claim, and no idea if it's still there...

But yea, I don't think it'll happen. FFVII has compatibility issues with modern Windows, and I'm not sure about FFVIII. So unless Squarenix/Eidos decide to put the effort into modernizing the game a bit, I wouldn't count on it.

crimsonheadGCN said:
Steam Summer Sale 2011 |OT| I'll Buy it at a Low Price! Stranger.
WINRAR

Also, maybe all these daily sales are going to happen from now on instead of the Summer/Winter Sales we had last year? Just a thought.

MesserWolf said:
So how is Divinity II?

Risen is the best 30$ you could spend on an rpg. For serious. And if your pops beat and enjoyed Gothic 2, he'll probably love Risen.

Divinity II isn't an open-world rpg. Ego Draconis has some wide open areas in the beginning but that changes in the latter half of the game when you unlock your dragon form. The expansion takes place entirely in one (fairly large) city. Divinity II is a fun action-rpg but not really an open world rpg. I guess why I'm harping on the open world aspect so much is because he enjoyed Oblivion and you want to gift him Risen, both of which are open world rpgs. Risen being particularly excellent. But Divinity II is a good choice, really enjoyed my time with the Ego Draconis and Flames of Vengeance.

SapientWolf said:
Stateside, yeah. Not as big as it was at launch though. I don't know about Euroland or the rest of the world.

Hrmm. I know the campaign is fairly short (4-5 hours) but is it fun and campy like say Freedom Fighters, which is the closest thing I can think of if we're talking about another interactive Red Dawn. Or is it a completely disposable experience?

I only have two people on my friend's list with Homefront, and only one put any amount of time into playing it, 30 hours.

TheExodu5

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
So a friend bought me Dungeon Siege 3 (bought a hard copy). He thought he could just enter the key in Steam and then gift it to me after, since he already had DS3 in his account. Steam just ate the key and now he's basically out $50. He contacted Steam support and they just forwarded him to this page:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4502-TPJL-2656&l=english

Not impressed with Valve at all.

Update on the story:

Steam has offered my friend a "one time customer service gesture" to issue him a store credit in the amount of the purchase.

They should be expected to fix their own screwed up system. They shouldn't pretend that this is some grand customer service gesture. Come on Steam.

jaundicejuice said:
Hrmm. I know the campaign is fairly short (4-5 hours) but is it fun and campy like say Freedom Fighters, which is the closest thing I can think of if we're talking about another interactive Red Dawn. Or is it a completely disposable experience?

I only have two people on my friend's list with Homefront, and only one put any amount of time into playing it, 30 hours.

It's a shit sandwich. Freedom Fighters is 10 times the game Homefront is, even 8 years later.

TheExodu5 said:
Update on the story:

Steam has offered my friend a "one time customer service gesture" to issue him a store credit in the amount of the purchase.

They should be expected to fix their own screwed up system. They shouldn't pretend that this is some grand customer service gesture. Come on Steam.

Well EA was fa....

oh, :(

Shambles

TheExodu5 said:
Update on the story:

Yeah they really need to sort out their system. It's good they at least ended owning up in the end but it is funny how they're pretending that they're being gracious. How you are even able to redeem a code for a game you already own is beyond common sense.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Princess Skittles said:

Sorry, I'm bored.
Steam Summer Sale 2011 |OT| It's like half a box of cereal

LocoMrPollock said:
It's a shit sandwich. Freedom Fighters is 10 times the game Homefront is, even 8 years later.

Well that's 25$ saved.

TheExodu5 said:
Update on the story:

If Valve don't get their shit together with the oddities and inadequacies of their own system or their horrendous short comings in customer service, this is where they will lose ground.

I'm glad your friend got that sorted out but you're entirely right. Their system should be designed as such that it would outright refuse the cd key for a duplicate game you cannot gift rather than simply eat it. It's such a dick move simply forwarding a link to a their website.

Angry Fork

TheExodu5 said:
Update on the story:

I think that's an automated message for any credit stuff. The person who read it probably doesn't have the authority to talk about whatever's wrong with the system but they're probably working on it assuming that happens enough times.

cicero

TheExodu5 said:
Update on the story:

Who is pretending there? The forums have many users with issues that are resolved just like that. How else are they supposed to deal with individual claims/issues? You seem to assume that wide systematic changes are easily made or even understood and seen as pressing issues within the organization to begin with. Your righteous indignation seems to be crossing over to animus...

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Smash88 said:
The Summer Sale looks like it will go from June 30th - July 22nd, if this killing floor summer ad is correct.

This seems wholly unrelated. Ain't gonna be no 3 week sale.

Princess Skittles said:

Sorry, I'm bored.
Steam Summer Sale 2011 |OT| My Wishlist is ready.
Steam Summer Sale 2011 |OT| What a great de- Oh, already have it...
Steam Summer Sale 2011 |OT| Fillin' my library with Indie bundles.
Steam Summer Sale 2011 |OT| I shall use my monster PC... for indie games!

cicero said:
Who is pretending there? The forums have many users with issues that are resolved just like that. How else are they supposed to deal with individual claims/issues? You seem to assume that wide systematic changes are easily made or even understood and seen as pressing issues within the organization to begin with. Your righteous indignation seems to be crossing over to animus...

You don't get it. He's saying they are rectifying a mistake that occurred due to a problem with their system, yet are acting like they're doing him a favor.

Now don't you wish you hadn't been so condescending?

Smash88 said:
http://killingfloorthegame.com/summer/

The Summer Sale looks like it will go from June 30th - July 22nd, if this killing floor summer ad is correct.

REJOICE! (If true...)

Take this with a grain of salt.

They've had their own sales and events in the past, independent of Steam's sales, this is no different.

Everything with summer and sale in the title is not directly related to Steam or the summer sale, if it even happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom