• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Yeah it's pretty awesome, can't deny it.

But how would this work if you won everything? Would you just be able to go to each game's page and hit download or would it all be in your library?

Christ could you imagine organizing over 1000 games into your categories at once?

There are only three categories that people should have:

Finished
Unfinished
Multiplayer

That's it. Everything else is convoluted and unnecessary.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Maybe I´m being the grinch now, but they need to come up with better prizes than giving away more games :). I already own too many games, and the problem is not the costs for the games, but actually playing them.

It would be nice to get future games for free, but out of the games released now, I already own those I want, and to get a whole bunch of other games would actually feel.....annoying. :)

I mean, Valve Complete Pack, I really don´t want that. I own Portal 1, Portal 2, TF2, the Half Life 2 games, etc. What´s left? Left 4 Dead 1&2 that I have no interest in, and a bunch of old HL1 variants.

But hats are nice! I want more hats!

Damm Steam Store giving out games available in the store for free.

Volcynika

I turned Steam Guard off because it was annoying and not remembering my PC, but now I can't turn it back on. Every time I try it says Steam cannot handle this request or whatever. Not sure what to do. :/

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yeah all that coal is getting crafted. Why would I waste it on a one in a billion chance to be lazy for life?

Because the prizes will suck like in the summer :p

I turned Steam Guard off because it was annoying and not remembering my PC, but now I can't turn it back on. Every time I try it says Steam cannot handle this request or whatever. Not sure what to do. :/

wait for the actual sale to start instead of randomly fiddling around with things in an effort to bulk-complete tasks which may or may not be legitimate ahead of the start of the actual sale? :p

Support can mess with it remotely if you don't mind emailing back and forth for a few days.

^^^ I still wear the summer shades!

Volcynika

Support can mess with it remotely if you don't mind emailing back and forth for a few days.

Ok thanks. I'll probably send a message to them today about it.

wait for the actual sale to start instead of randomly fiddling around with things in an effort to bulk-complete tasks which may or may not be legitimate ahead of the start of the actual sale? :p

I wanted to turn it back on after I reinstalled Steam (had a few issues like it not remembering my non-Steam games, pain in my ass) And I've been wanting to get it back on for a couple of months!

Artofwar420

Maybe I´m being the grinch now, but they need to come up with better prizes than giving away more games :). I already own too many games, and the problem is not the costs for the games, but actually playing them.

It would be nice to get future games for free, but out of the games released now, I already own those I want, and to get a whole bunch of other games would actually feel.....annoying. :)

I mean, Valve Complete Pack, I really don´t want that. I own Portal 1, Portal 2, TF2, the Half Life 2 games, etc. What´s left? Left 4 Dead 1&2 that I have no interest in, and a bunch of old HL1 variants.

But hats are nice! I want more hats!

A hat on the level of the HOUWAR would be kickass. I'm still sour about not getting it last time.

SmithnCo

So it's going to come down to spending your coal on prizes or keeping them to maybe win an even better prize. Depending on the prizes this could be hard since you've got an insanely small chance of winning the grand prize.

I'm not going to bother keeping coal, since it will be a very slim chance of winning any of the random draws... Hopefully they have some good stuff in the gift pile.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Is GRID supposed to be a good game? Seems a bit too simy for my tastes but it does look rather pretty and runs super smooth even on my PC so maybe I should persist with it if there's value there... Why aren't there Daytonas, Sega Rallys and Ridge Racers for the PC... Meaning games like those classics, not ancient versions of these that might not even work today or brand-new sequels that don't resemble the spirit of the originals at all :(

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Let's see... I've got:
3x BTR
2x BTB
1x Super Meat Boy
1x Sequence
1x Orcs Must Die
1x Sanctum
1x Flight Control HD
1x PAM
1x Audiosurf
1x HOARD
1x Toki Tori
1x Jamestown
1x Bastion

So I guess that makes me eligible for two prizes off the bat.

^^^ I still wear the summer shades!

And I'm sure it was worth buying a copy of PAM: Post Apocalyptic Mayhem (or insert other game you bought just to play to get the ticket) to get them ;)

Sysgen

So the Christmas sale is just another wishlist promotion? If so I'm not knocking myself out like last summer. If I understand the odds correctly I'm better off just buying a lottery ticket both money and time wise.

Member since 2009, sitting at a little over 100 games. Rate of purchasing has slowed down a ton though, only expect to pick up 2 -3 games this sale:

Binding of Isaac
Dues Ex: HR
Fallout: NV (debating whether to wait next summer / winter when the GOTY version is available)

MRORANGE

Wait, gifters as in US/EU helpers? Or just general gifters? I might be able to do either/or if that's the case. Please let me know, MR.ORANGE. Really looking forward to your thread!

tell me your region (it's to help people buying steam games from other regions)

There will most likely be some games on sale that aren't available in my region. What preparations do I have to take and who do I need to speak to for gifting services?

There was a list of users who are prepared to gift posted earlier in this thread IIRC. Hopefully it'll be in the sale OP too.
Theres always the gifting thread too.

it's going to be listed by regions

Europe/UK
North America
South America
Australia (lol)

SmokyDave

Is GRID supposed to be a good game? Seems a bit too simy for my tastes but it does look rather pretty and runs super smooth even on my PC so maybe I should persist with it if there's value there... Why aren't there Daytonas, Sega Rallys and Ridge Racers for the PC... Meaning games like those classics, not ancient versions of these that might not even work today or brand-new sequels that don't resemble the spirit of the originals at all :(

GRiD is as much of a racing sim as Red Dead Redemption is a match 3 puzzle game. If that's too 'sim' for your tastes you want NFS: Hot Pursuit my man.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Lol, the sad thing is that there are people here already who own 1/3rd of the entire steam catalogue, and let's face it - not all games are even worth buying to begin with.

*Wishes he was part of the 500 club*

I'm definitely more interested in getting gifts than buying new games. By the way, I called it before anyone else :(

That being said, I'll buy Portal 2, Psychonauts, M&M:CoH, Costume Quest, Bastion and the Cthulhu DLC for Magicka if they're 75% off, and maybe those new indie packs if they're cheap enough.

Schmitty

I'm part of the STS (Steam Translation Server) and, uh, this just in:

"In order to take advantage of the income tax treaty between the United States and your country and allow for a exempt/reduced withholding tax rate, you will need to complete a Form W-8BEN, "Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding". Without a completed Form W-8BEN, we will need to withhold 30% of your revenue share and remit these taxes to the IRS. You may want to consult with your tax advisors on whether you can recover these taxes as a foreign tax credit on your tax return."

I have no clue.

Yeah, TDU2 was 5€ before going back up to 9,99€. Same thing with Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition.

Better fill that sheet out if you want to avoid getting taxed by the U.S. government since Steam is a U.S. company. I assume you are selling things through the workshop since that wouldn't apply if you were just buying. The W-8BEN form will make you a non-resident alien exempt from income tax, even though you are doing commerical business through the U.S.

REMINDER: NEVER BUY SOMETHING UNLESS IT'S A DAILY SALE!!
Or the last day...or your last day :p
But otherwise; never buy something you don't intend to play right now unless it is 75% off is my one.

you also get a free gift for creating a new Steam account
I assume it'll be the same gift for everyone or non-transferable.

Every game? motherofgod.jpg

My ISP is praying I don't win. As of today I have unlimited usage but if I win this I see a cap coming just for me :lol
What about your hard drive? I mean how much space would you need to store the entire Steam library?

They were alright. Though maybe I should have saved my sanity (and my keyboard*) and not gone for the Aaahhh achievement and just spent the 97p or whatever on the DLC I needed to play that for (to make up my tickets) instead.

*-I raged so badly at trying to get the previously mentioned achievement I hulk smashed the keyboard breaking one of the legs. I since repaired it with superglue.

Kabouter

Lol, the sad thing is that there are people here already who own 1/3rd of the entire steam catalogue, and let's face it - not all games are even worth buying to begin with.

*Wishes he was part of the 500 club*

And then there's Lovingsteam, who would win like three games if he got the prize.

Cptkrush

Member since 2009, sitting at a little over 100 games. Rate of purchasing has slowed down a ton though, only expect to pick up 2 -3 games this sale:

Binding of Isaac
Dues Ex: HR
Fallout: NV (debating whether to wait next summer / winter when the GOTY version is available)

It will be around 10 bucks for the game and all the DLC if the sales this year are anything to go by, not worth waiting for a Goty that most likely wont have anything extra.

I woke up and remembered that the sale started today and I had a little mini-freak out moment like a kid. I really think I'm more excited about this sale than actual Christmas.

Also a cold-front just moved through (Florida) so it's even starting to feel a little wintry out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom