• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

I don't think it's really fair to say the summer prizes sucked. That gold ship in Beat Hazard, for example, makes it a lot easier to play with the intensity cranked since you don't lose your ship in the chaos. Hoping there's more of those type of prizes. Or coupons for future use.

Atomski

I don't think it's really fair to say the summer prizes sucked. That gold ship in Beat Hazard, for example, makes it a lot easier to play with the intensity cranked since you don't lose your ship in the chaos. Hoping there's more of those type of prizes. Or coupons for future use.

The items may not have been super impressive but its really nice to see achievements used as something other than a useless number. Hopefully it can be an inspiration for MS and PSN to do more with their achievement systems.

I woke up and remembered that the sale started today and I had a little mini-freak out moment like a kid. I really think I'm more excited about this sale than actual Christmas.

Also a cold-front just moved through (Florida) so it's even starting to feel a little wintry out there.

Getting-stuff wise, sure, I'm in the same boat. But I'm still more pumped for Xmas in terms of seeing family and the fooooood :)!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'd mention one proviso about the "wait for the daily" thing--the main reason why people here repeat it so often is because idiots wander in, buy some current-year retail release for $33.50 or $40 or something, and then bitch up a storm when the price gets reduced a few days later. If you're looking at getting a game that's regular $9.99 and it's 80% off for $1.99, well, I guess it's possible that it'd be featured as a daily deal for $0.99 or something, but realistically, you don't need to be panicked about it. Most of the daily deals are 50-75% off. Most of the week-long deals are 33-50% off. Again, not genius level material.

I don't really think this is so much advice that's applicable just to a Steam sale as it is general life advice. Sweat the big stuff more than the little stuff, and just ask yourself "Does it seem like I could get burned here?" and if the answer is yes, don't do it.

Kunohara

I have no backlog since I've played all the games on my list, so whatever I buy for this sale is going to be played right away. Mainly just looking for Deus Ex and Skyrim to go on sale.I hope they don't save Skyrim for the last day of the sale since I am dying to play it.

Goon Boon

Banned
I'd mention one proviso about the "wait for the daily" thing--the main reason why people here repeat it so often is because idiots wander in, buy some current-year retail release for $33.50 or $40 or something, and then bitch up a storm when the price gets reduced a few days later. If you're looking at getting a game that's regular $9.99 and it's 80% off for $1.99, well, I guess it's possible that it'd be featured as a daily deal for $0.99 or something, but realistically, you don't need to be panicked about it. Most of the daily deals are 50-75% off. Most of the week-long deals are 33-50% off. Again, not genius level material.

I don't really think this is so much advice that's applicable just to a Steam sale as it is general life advice. Sweat the big stuff more than the little stuff, and just ask yourself "Does it seem like I could get burned here?" and if the answer is yes, don't do it.

Beat Hazard did that to me!

GHG

Gold Member
Whats all this talk of prizes, coal and competitions? What do you have to do to participate exactly? I feel really stupid...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Beat Hazard did that to me!

Well, sure, but if you're still sore about it a year later, chances are that's a case of misplaced priorities over $1 ;)

Whats all this talk of prizes, coal and competitions? What do you have to do to participate exactly? I feel really stupid...

The sale hasn't started. Wait for the sale to start. When the sale starts, there will be instructions. All you have to do is read the instructions. If you don't understand then, ask people then, and they will probably be able to help you.

It looks like there will be some sort of system where you get "lumps of coal" in exchange for unlocking Christmas-themed achievements in certain games. The full list of games and achievements will probably be documented on Steam, but for now there is a wiki you can read off-site to get a preview. You can either gift those lumps of coal to friends, use them as raffle tickets for a huge lottery draw at the end of the sale, or redeem them immediately for a variety of small prizes (cosmetic items, DLC, cheaper games). We don't know any of this for sure yet, since the sale isn't up.

Forkball

Yes wait for daily deals no matter what. Even if it's 75% off there's still a minor chance it can get lower. I remember PB Winterbottom was 50 cents last year.

Volcynika

Ahh, a big Steam sale.

The return of "what are the chances that ___ will be a daily?," "these deals suck," "can someone help me save 50 cents in a group buy," and other staples of the sales. :p

MNC

Headsup, it might be the beta update

You can now accept gifts and store them in your inventory instead of accepting them as library games.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Lets add that onto other questions idiots keep asking, regardless of how many times they've been answered or just plain bad.
-Will X go on sale? We don't know. Wait
-Will X get cheaper? We don't know. Wait
-When does the sale end for these dailies? Look at the clock!

kswiston

There will be 2-3 games that are 90% off without being daily deals. Those games are safe to buy whenever.

Typically I will buy things that are 75% off+ without waiting for a daily deal. The number of games that start off at 75% off and go lower is really small. There will be 200-300 indie games discounted at 75% off and maybe 1 or 2 will go lower during a daily sale.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Anyone have a problem getting the Orcs Must Die achievement? it didn't register for me.

The achievement is slightly mislabeled. When it says finish only using weapons, sells, and arrow wall, it means ONLY ADD THOSE TO YOUR REPERTOIRE. If you add the other stuff, even if you don't use it during the level, it will not unlock. I played the level twice for this reason.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Anyone have a problem getting the Orcs Must Die achievement? it didn't register for me.

I had to do the halls twice. After the first time you get the arrow wall trap, repeat and use it. The achievement popped for me after that. ^ Scratch that. Apparently I touched something I wasn't supposed to the first time.

kswiston

This is going to be my cheapest Holiday sale yet (since I joined in 2008). The daily deals cleared out a lot of my wish list, and I am steering clear of anything over $10.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
This is going to be my cheapest Holiday sale yet (since I joined in 2008). The daily deals cleared out a lot of my wish list, and I am steering clear of anything over $10.
Should be the title thread. "Cheapest Sale yet since I already own everything, Still buying though"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom