• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

well for some reason I cant login to the humble bundle page and I cant redeem the cortex command I bought way back

:/

xJavonta

Banned
Coming back to this thread, I've been active in the iOS Gaming and Dolphin threads instead. Also, I don't know if this has been posted by anyone else or not, but Postal 2 is on Greenlight and they're asking for help to get verified to Steam! They're giving out free Steam or Desura keys if you help them out, here's the link

Also, has anyone tried out the XCOM: Enemy Unknown demo? It's actually really good, and I played it with a controller in BPM, works fantastically. I would pre-order it now but I don't get paid until next week :/

And how does Castle Crashers play on PC? Multiplayer Locally?

Derrick01

Banned
Also, has anyone tried out the XCOM: Enemy Unknown demo? It's actually really good, and I played it with a controller in BPM, works fantastically. I would pre-order it now but I don't get paid until next week :/

I went in to the demo knowing it was just tutorial crap and the first really basic mission so I didn't freak out like a lot of others did but I really liked how it played and was especially surprised how well it works on the controller. I just preordered it about 20 minutes ago so I've got that and Dishonored paid off. If GMG doesn't screw me on the Dishonored key I should have a pretty awesome October 9th.

MRORANGE

Coming back to this thread, I've been active in the iOS Gaming and Dolphin threads instead. Also, I don't know if this has been posted by anyone else or not, but Postal 2 is on Greenlight and they're asking for help to get verified to Steam! They're giving out free Steam or Desura keys if you help them out, here's the link

This is kinda abusing the Greenlight system imo.

Just to point out that if you bought the Groupees Be Mine bundle number 3, it included a key for Postal 2 complete. I'm not actually sure where you're supposed to use that key, but the greenlight page for the game that previous buyers with verifiable Postal 2 purchases will probably get a Steam key if the dev can manage it.

Nabs

Damn, you really want that Postal 2 key, eh?

Blizzard

Banned
Hope so, ruins the point of having a voting system in place if people just want free games.

But what if...the game people are voting for on Greenlight (like Black Mesa) is itself going to be free for everyone? WHAT THEN. :O

I'm not really seeing a problem with it compared to the free games that are going to be hosted on Steam, unless people somehow feel that a for-pay game being hosted on Steam with low sales is bad. Valve gets the final word in regard to the game and the game quality either way.

Blizzard

Banned
Farming Sim 2013 is going to go up for preorder soon. I wish Valve would troll with TF2 hats.
It would be kind of hilarious if Valve started going through their store and picking the games that sell the least. "If this had some HATS we could make up for the popularity!"

I am actually quite shocked at how little interest there is in Carrier Command. It was released on Steam today and you wouldn't even know it if you look on Neogaf :-( . But hey who needs Carrier Command when there is Farming 2013.

BosSin

Does SSF4 Arcade Edition have a thriving online community on pc? I have a real urge for some street fighter and never got around to playing this version (played SF4). I really want to have a go with the new characters and all but the price seems way too high at £25. Would be more willing to pay something like £15

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Looking though my old humble bundles, I seem to have a code for World of Goo, Anomaly, Osmos, and EDGE. Wish I could split them up.

Let me know if you grab it

I am actually quite shocked at how little interest there is in Carrier Command. It was released on Steam today and you wouldn't even know it if you look on Neogaf :-( . But hey who needs Carrier Command when there is Farming 2013.

It's true. I remember enjoying the first game way back when, but it seems no one is interested in it now. I think Bohemia haven't marketed it very well (or at all, actually).

Game Guru

Just to point out that if you bought the Groupees Be Mine bundle number 3, it included a key for Postal 2 complete. I'm not actually sure where you're supposed to use that key, but the greenlight page for the game that previous buyers with verifiable Postal 2 purchases will probably get a Steam key if the dev can manage it.

The Postal 2 key is for Desura, the digital distribution platform indies in these indie bundles tend to use when they can't get their game on Steam.

ymmv

Banned

I had no idea it was released today... I actually am interested in this but I didn't see any news or discussion about this game after it was announced.

MRORANGE

But what if...the game people are voting for on Greenlight (like Black Mesa) is itself going to be free for everyone? WHAT THEN. :O

I'm not really seeing a problem with it compared to the free games that are going to be hosted on Steam, unless people somehow feel that a for-pay game being hosted on Steam with low sales is bad. Valve gets the final word in regard to the game and the game quality either way.

The problem is that the game is just going to come on Steam because the devs are essentially bribing the community to vote for them.

Yeah, folks who got Humble Bundle 2 (or 3), Steam keys for Cortex Command is now available on the Humble Bundle pages in question. This is the sort of thing that the new Humble Collection really comes into its own. I really should shift through all my duplicate Humble Bundle keys and do a mega-giveaway at some point.

Blizzard

Banned
The problem is that the game is just going to come on Steam because the devs are essentially bribing the community to vote for them.
Bribing...by getting them a game that they want on their account. Which means there will be people on Steam who claim to want a game. Which means that there is some level of interest in a game.

Which means that a developer has convinced a userbase to vote on Greenlight, reflecting a level of interest in the game, which is precisely what Valve is looking for, right? I suggest Valve has enough data and smart people to know that not all votes will equal purchases, and hopefully they will turn away games if they look truly terrible in quality.

Even if 100% of the Greenlight votes for this game are people who just want to play it for free, and Valve decides the game quality is good enough...you end up with a game on Steam that maybe some people will play, and maybe some people will buy who didn't see it on Greenlight. What is bad about this situation? It doesn't hurt Valve any more than hosting Black Mesa or other free games, does it? In fact it should hurt them LESS if it's a niche game without many downloads, or a smaller game (less bandwidth than Black Mesa).

BosSin

Does SSF4 Arcade Edition have a thriving online community on pc? I have a real urge for some street fighter and never got around to playing this version (played SF4). I really want to have a go with the new characters and all but the price seems way too high at £25. Would be more willing to pay something like £15

Bumping because it never got answered...

Or maybe it got answered, as in there isn't a thriving online community seeing as no one knew what the state of it is

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I bought Carrier Command over a year ago. There was a pre-order beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom