• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

For $1, you get the bundle. But for $5, you get Guns of Icarus Online, planned to be released at the end of September, but with a beta in four days. Is the game good? And do we get the game or just an access to the beta?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
For $1, you get the bundle. But for $5, you get Guns of Icarus Online, planned to be released in four days. Is the game good?

I have no idea, but any game added to my backlog is a fine addition.

Firebrand

Can anyone tell me why Civ 5, Kane and Lynch, and Payday are downloading on my Steam account even though I have bought none?

Free weekend for all 3?
I think Steam now detects and lists games you don't own but have installed (from free weekends etc). Red Orchestra 2 appeared on my list a few days ago, uninstalled it and now it's gone.

Blizzard

Banned
Mirror's Edge is the daily deal. Most people probably already have it, but I consider it well worth it ($5 USD). It's a run-fast, first-person platformer with pretty graphics, nice soundtrack, and neat atmosphere/environments.

HoosTrax

Mirror's Edge is the daily deal. Most people probably already have it, but I consider it well worth it ($5 USD). It's a run-fast, first-person platformer with pretty graphics, nice soundtrack, and neat atmosphere/environments.
Half of my friends list owns it, but I'm pretty sure it's just not a game for me. Fear of heights, plus I hate first-person platforming in general (part of the reason I hated Half-Life).

Blizzard

Banned
Half of my friends list owns it, but I'm pretty sure it's just not a game for me. Fear of heights, plus I hate first-person platforming in general (part of the reason I hated Half-Life).
This is actually a good point. Looking at the dot in the center of the screen (turn it on if it's not) might help some people with motion sickness, but if you have bad vertigo or FPS motion sickness, do NOT play the game.

Just Cause 2 and Mirror's Edge, great deals.
Oh man, I didn't even notice that. $3.74 USD for Just Cause 2 is an amazing deal. It's probably one of the most pure fun open-world action games as far as I know, and it also looks good! And it's important to note that there is a fan-made multiplayer mod in progress that you can use with this!

Shantom

I bought Just Cause 2 ages ago, only recently started playing it and I'm loving it. Is any of the DLC worth it and is the first game any good as well?

Edit: Mirror's Edge is amazing as well, definitely worth it for £3.24.

Two of the best games this generation, which are absolutely stunning on PC.
Not owning them should be considered a crime by now.

Totally completely agree, Mirror's Edge feels vibrantly fresh game-play wise, and Just Cause 2 is mindless beauty and fun, definitely up there on my favorite game's list.

JaseC

Future Soldier is still priced too high for my liking and I already own the others. Thirty Flights and Mutant Blobs Attack it is, then.

Blizzard

Banned
Everybody should own Just Cause 2 and Mirror's Edge. I have no idea how to get the insane looking time trial levels for the latter though. Origin mayhaps?
Yep, I believe you gotta buy the game on Origin instead for the time trials, unless you want to really jump through hoops trying to mod files (and you'd still have to buy the DLC from Origin anyway). However, you might be able to get EA/Origin support to add the game to your Origin account if you own it on Steam. I don't know if they still do this or if this is a one-time thing though.

Alternative option: There's a fan-made time trial DLC pack for Mirror's Edge in a similar style. Here's an old thread I made: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381062 (look for the link to Taplonaplo's stuff, hopefully all the links are still good)

That thread also has some custom CoJ: Bound in Blood maps for anyone curious.

I bought Just Cause 2 ages ago, only recently started playing it and I'm loving it. Is any of the DLC worth it and is the first game any good as well?
I don't know about the DLC, but as far as I know the first game isn't very good.

Random steam note, I just saw Tryst coming up. It kinda looks like a Starcraft clone from the screenshots.

HoosTrax

This is actually a good point. Looking at the dot in the center of the screen (turn it on if it's not) might help some people with motion sickness, but if you have bad vertigo or FPS motion sickness, do NOT play the game.
Yeah, while I enjoyed Portal for the most part, it literally gave me vertigo and there were parts that were definitely unpleasant.

"no no no no FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF whyyyyyyy ahhhhhh don't look down" <--- me crossing any high gap

I think I'd probably have a panic attack if I played Mirror's Edge with an Oculus (that, or cure myself forever).

Oddly enough, I don't have this problem in parachuting games like Just Cause 2 and Saints Row 3, nor do I have an issue with flight sims.

Yeah, while I enjoyed Portal for the most part, it literally gave me vertigo and there were parts that were definitely unpleasant.

"no no no no FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF whyyyyyyy ahhhhhh don't look down" <--- me crossing any high gap

I think I'd probably have a panic attack if played Mirror's Edge with an Oculus (that, or cure myself forever).

Oddly enough, I don't have this problem in parachuting games like Just Cause 2 and Saints Row 3, nor do I have an issue with flight sims.

Sounds like your suffering from console FOV values.

JaseC

Falling off a building in Mirror's Edge never fails to send a shiver down my spine. The velocity is almost palpable.

Roto13

Ha ha haaaaa, I literally added Mirror's Edge to my Wish List yesterday to remind myself to buy it the next time it goes on sale

hcvhJ.png

I have it on PS3 but I want it on Steam too.

I think I'd probably have a panic attack if played Mirror's Edge with an Oculus (that, or cure myself forever).

I'm not sure if this is the case for the PC version, but I know the PS3 and 360 versions have demos. They should give you a pretty good idea if you'll be able to handle the full game.

Ha ha haaaaa, I literally added Mirror's Edge to my Wish List yesterday to remind myself to buy it the next time it goes on sale

hcvhJ.png

I have it on PS3 but I want it on Steam too.

I'm not sure if this is the case for the PC version, but I know the PS3 and 360 versions have demos. They should give you a pretty good idea if you'll be able to handle the full game.

Nice, I loved it on PC.

HoosTrax

Sounds like your suffering from console FOV values.
More like I have a severe fear of heights in real life (I can barely go near any guardrail or balcony).

Just a weird quirk of mine I guess, sort of like how some people have a severe enough fear of spiders that they can't play games like Amalur and Skyrim without mods that remove arachnids.

Detox

Future Soldier is still priced too high for my liking and I already own the others. Thirty Flights and Mutant Blobs Attack it is, then.
You might want to stay away from the PC version a lot of people in the OT mentioned it is a terribly optimised port.

Nabs

Finally got Revelaitons 2012 from the BeMine bundle, so happy. Been waiting for a deal on this for weeks!

LKS and Revelations 2012. You have good tastes.

Revelations 2012 quick tip: If you plan on playing co-op with friends, don't be the first person to load the game. The menu "music" will piss you off. It's located in the revelations/media folder, so you can delete it if you can find it.

JaseC

You might want to stay away from the PC version a lot of people in the OT mentioned it is a terribly optimised port.

It's okay, I don't play on buying the game until its price wades into impulse purchase territory (I assume you're referring to GR:FS).

ShaneB

I could never get into KOTOR :( Tried playing it a few times, it also didn't help that I knew there was some big giant twist, and was eventually spoiled, so that it turned ruined the game. Excited to finally play Kotor 2 sometime knowing I know nothing about it.

Think I'll finally double dip on Mirror's Edge as well, one of my favourite games this gen.

Nice KOTOR II! I think I should finish the first one before thinking of picking this one up, but it's real nice to have it available now that the newfangled patch that fixes shit is finally out. Will pick up the first time it is discounted.

Mirror's Edge and JC2 are no brainers.

Crayons

Banned
LKS and Revelations 2012. You have good tastes.

Revelations 2012 quick tip: If you plan on playing co-op with friends, don't be the first person to load the game. The menu "music" will piss you off. It's located in the revelations/media folder, so you can delete it if you can find it.

I do.

And to anyone on the fence of buying the bundle for the game, check this out.

club_ben-1.png

Great character design.

Speevy

Banned
That BeMine bundle is neat.

First person to PM me with their e-mail address gets it (preferably people who don't have the games).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom