• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
I'd kind of prefer to give it to someone who will use it to build up their Steam library.

I can't force people to do that though.

Incidentally, not one person has PMed me. :(

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I'd totally do it, but my backlog is big enough already.

DAWN OF WAR QUESTION

If I wanted to play the first Dawn of War (single player), which things should I install, and which do I run?

I have Dawn of War Gold, Soulstorm, Winter Assault and Dark Crusade in my library. Is there overlap? Do I just install and play them all in a certain order?

Glass Rebel

Yep, I believe you gotta buy the game on Origin instead for the time trials, unless you want to really jump through hoops trying to mod files (and you'd still have to buy the DLC from Origin anyway). However, you might be able to get EA/Origin support to add the game to your Origin account if you own it on Steam. I don't know if they still do this or if this is a one-time thing though.

Alternative option: There's a fan-made time trial DLC pack for Mirror's Edge in a similar style. Here's an old thread I made: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381062 (look for the link to Taplonaplo's stuff, hopefully all the links are still good)

That thread also has some custom CoJ: Bound in Blood maps for anyone curious.

Ah, I already registered it on Origin through EA support (afair). The pack is €6.99 and I'm so cheap :(

Btw: did you ever resume work on those XBOX360 chatpad drivers? I've seen a few in stores and they're really tempting :lol

Forkball

So I'm guessing no one plays the new Ghost Recon online anymore?

Also I remember when I was so excited when Mirror's Edge went on sale for $5. Now it's on sale all the time. Honestly I didn't really like the game. Yes it was creative and gorgeous, but I felt the platforming to be too obtuse and the guards were no fun and tacked on.

HoosTrax

I'd totally do it, but my backlog is big enough already.

DAWN OF WAR QUESTION

If I wanted to play the first Dawn of War (single player), which things should I install, and which do I run?

I have Dawn of War Gold, Soulstorm, Winter Assault and Dark Crusade in my library. Is there overlap? Do I just install and play them all in a certain order?
The chronological order of the games is Dawn of War -> Winter Assault -> Dark Crusade --> Soulstorm --> Dawn of War II --> Chaos Rising --> Retribution.

Winter Assault is dependent on Dawn of War. Dark Crusade and Soulstorm are completely standalone games, but you can input the CD keys from the other games to unlock more factions for multiplayer.

Dark Crusade and Soulstorm are relatively modern games, but Dawn of War and Winter Assault don't support modern resolutions out of the box -- you'll need to do some searching to figure out how to run them widescreen.

plc268

Wow... that bemine bundle is terrible.

Also, Zero Gear. Made by the team who made Tiny Tower and Pocket Planes on iOS. They basically abandoned Zero Gear, and the game is dead online. Even worse, if you do find a game online, the netcode is absolutely terrible and practically unplayable.

1-D_FTW

Also I remember when I was so excited when Mirror's Edge went on sale for $5. Now it's on sale all the time. Honestly I didn't really like the game. Yes it was creative and gorgeous, but I felt the platforming to be too obtuse and the guards were no fun and tacked on.

I ran out of steam too. I probably would have played to the end, but the guards were an absolute kill joy for me and left me with no desire to ever finish.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The desire to replace my 4 cd install of KOTOR2 is quite fierce, but I know I'm not going to play the game again before it goes on sale for 2.50$. Logic wins.

Blizzard

Banned
Ah, I already registered it on Origin through EA support (afair). The pack is €6.99 and I'm so cheap :(

Btw: did you ever resume work on those XBOX360 chatpad drivers? I've seen a few in stores and they're really tempting :lol
I never resumed work on the chatpad driver sadly. It's still on my computer, and I have a new sealed chatpad and wireless controller sitting on my bedroom floor, but I've never opened them to try to reverse engineer/get it working with the wireless controller. =/ At least the wired drivers kinda work for a fair number of people.

Glass Rebel

I never resumed work on the chatpad driver sadly. It's still on my computer, and I have a new sealed chatpad and wireless controller sitting on my bedroom floor, but I've never opened them to try to reverse engineer/get it working with the wireless controller. =/ At least the wired drivers kinda work for a fair number of people.

Ah, that's a bummer. I'll probably buy the thing when Big Screen Mode is released so let us know itt if/when you work on it again ;)

Game Guru

I'd kind of prefer to give it to someone who will use it to build up their Steam library.

I can't force people to do that though.

Incidentally, not one person has PMed me. :(

Sorry guy, but the best looking game in that bunch is Laxius Force and that ain't a Steam or Desura game. This bundle has nothing on Be Mine 3's Avernum and Oddworld, and having Revelations 2012 with it just makes the entire bundle look worse. Kinda sad that an RPG Maker game is the best of the bunch, but... yeah.

KotOR II bought.

I might buy Dark Souls should Durante tackle both the resolution and framerate issues successfully during a sale now provided I don't read about any GFWL clusterfucks.

Speevy

Banned
Sorry guy, but the best looking game in that bunch is Laxius Force and that ain't a Steam or Desura game. This bundle has nothing on Be Mine 3's Avernum and Oddworld, and having Revelations 2012 with it just makes the entire bundle look worse. Kinda sad that an RPG Maker game is the best of the bunch, but... yeah.

Why are you apologizing to me?

Speevy

Banned
Well I appreciate you calling me a nice guy, but I don't give games away because all indie bundles are great.

I give them away because it is an inexpensive way to support the Steam platform and spread a spirit of community.

My hope is that games continue to be distributed in these ways, and that other people will buy bundles for their friends.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm getting the BeMine Bundle (for a fairly low price). The only game I'm interested in is Revelations 2012, and then even only because I have a very macabre disposition personally.

Glass Rebel

Fuck.

I just spent 1170€ on a new PC (ordered the last batch of parts) and really shouldn't be spending any more money on gaming related stuff... but I'm definitely buying XCOM and now I want Sleeping Dogs and Dark Souls (thanks to Durante's fix) as well... and then there's up to three Steam sales left.

Fuck.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
People declaring Revelations 2012 to be the second worst game on Steam have actually played it, right?

Because I actually did play it and it really isn't the second worst game on Steam.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The chronological order of the games is Dawn of War -> Winter Assault -> Dark Crusade --> Soulstorm --> Dawn of War II --> Chaos Rising --> Retribution.

Winter Assault is dependent on Dawn of War. Dark Crusade and Soulstorm are completely standalone games, but you can input the CD keys from the other games to unlock more factions for multiplayer.

Dark Crusade and Soulstorm are relatively modern games, but Dawn of War and Winter Assault don't support modern resolutions out of the box -- you'll need to do some searching to figure out how to run them widescreen.

So I can just install Dawn of War Gold since it supposedly comes with winter assault?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom