• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Steam is odd, in that it makes declarations that people don't play X genre, lets a game on the service, gets proven they were talking bollocks and the floodgates open. They did it with shumps (Jamestown broke that barrier), they did it with visual novels (Analogue) and now they're doing it with pinball games. Be patent. I wouldn't be too surprised if Farsight or Microsoft bungled something, but Valve can be a bit of blockade to new games (hence Greenlight).

Did they really make those declarations or did people put those words in their mouths when they couldn't find anything from that genre on the store?

Did they really make those declarations or did people put those words in their mouths when they couldn't find anything from that genre on the store?

Heard plenty of developers complaining that they couldn't get their shumps on Steam because Valve said it would be "a poor fit" (which I wouldn't be too surprised if that's the reason Farsight has been getting, and translates to "no-one buys your genre of games"), then Jamestown managed to get in an proved to be successful. I wouldn't be able to source any specific claims, however. I recall reading the Magical Diary folk also getting rejected for the exact same reason, but they're on now, and I'd wager Analogue is the reason. So 25% paying attention to indie devs complaining and 75% idle speculation.

Catshade

This is their stock rejection letter:

Thank you for submitting [game name] for potential Steam distribution. We have taken a look at the information provided and determined that Steam is not a good fit for distribution. It is our company policy not to provide specific feedback on a submission but we would like you to consider Steam distribution for your future products.

I guess the bolded part makes people think that way.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Valis has a tremendous point that I didn't think of. So now simulations are not going to get on Steam because the genre is not popular? If this is what Greenlight means then screw the concept.

Steam has 40 million+ active user accounts. The idea that the community at large could see certain genres receive the cold shoulder is patently ridiculous.

iNvid02

how come the new spiderman is not on steam?does any DD store have it?kind of weird to release it on pc but only on disk.

delayed for unknown reasons, probably something last minute at activision because retail in europe has hands on it.

can pick it up on dvd for £24/$38 which isnt bad, and it doesnt look like a bad port either, but i'll prob wait for a sale

camerooni

Neo Member
delayed for unknown reasons, probably something last minute at activision because retail in europe has hands on it.

can pick it up on dvd for £24/$38 which isnt bad, and it doesnt look like a bad port either, but i'll prob wait for a sale

console milking.. that is all - lol

Game Guru

Poor fit =/= fuck yo genre.

I have to agree with him. Just because Steam sends the usual rejection letter, doesn't mean that they have a bias against any genre. It's probably just plain hard to get into contact with any shump or visual novel developers before respective games in the genres took off on Steam, since they are for the most part made by the Japanese. The La-Mulana folks were complaining about the difficulty of communicating due to language barriers. Neither Final Form Games nor Christina Love were that big, and really just lucked out on having the first of a genre appear and be successful on Steam. Heck, if their was an actual bias, Analogue would've been rejected since it was from someone who only makes visual novels.

Speevy

Banned
That's a good deal for Just Cause 2.

The first person who posts a game screenshot of something badass and over-the-top gets Just Cause 2.

VALIS

Poor fit =/= fuck yo genre.

Except in this case they rejected (or seemed to reject, I can't find anything official regarding Steam and Pinball FX2, just forum talk that it was rejected) the two most prominent pinball games out there, so yeah, you can kind of assume they don't think those types of games fit in their strategy/image.

Pinball FX2 - 88% on Metacritic
Pinball Arcade - 82% on Metacritic

So it certainly shouldn't be the quality of the games that held them back.

Catshade

Except in this case they rejected the two most prominent pinball games out there, so yeah, you can kind of assume they don't think those types of games fit in their strategy/image.

Pinball FX2 - 88% on Metacritic
Pinball Arcade - 82% on Metacritic

So it certainly shouldn't be the quality of the games that held them back.

To be fair, quality is certainly also not the reason Valve accepted some games. Yes, I'm looking at you, Bad Rats.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
But there are pinball games on the store.

Either the Pinball games you're talking about were refused for a specific reason, or they slipped through the cracks.

You're attributing the game's rejection to some sort of malice on Valve's part, towards the games or the genre itself, when we have literally no information on the situation other than that the game was rejected.

If anything, it's far more likely that the games were rejected due to an incompatibility between the Pinball FX/Arcade DLC model and Steam's own DLC terms, rather than some shadowy anti-Pinball conspiracy.

That's a good deal for Just Cause 2.

The first person who posts a game screenshot of something badass and over-the-top gets Just Cause 2.

just-cause-2.jpg

Did I win? I would LOVE to play this game!

dot

Wow, Valve finally overhauled the My Activity page.

Cool. Now they need to update the game store page and the main profile page.

Too bad they don't show you who thumbs up your status like facebook. I wonder who else gave my "Poop" status update a thumbs up/like.

/facebook

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
FEAR 3 for $4.99 over at GamersGate.

Cool. Now they need to update the game store page and the main profile page.

Too bad they don't show you who thumbs up your status like facebook. I wonder who else gave my "Poop" status update a thumbs up/like.

/facebook

In a perfect world, the next item on the agenda would be chat logs.

Finally got Knights of the Old Republic II running in widescreen with a combination of Squizzy's and the UniWS patcher. Probably going to have to re-run the restored content mod since Squizzy's patcher replaces the exe. Hopefully it doesn't bork the save I've got, almost of of Peragus.

Patched the Restored Content in, ran the game, loaded my save file and it ran without issue :3 This will be my first time playing through The Sith Lords, think I'll need to re-play the first KotOR after.

I will (hopefully) max that game in two weeks. A 670 should do the trick, right?

http://www.hwcompare.com/12526/geforce-gtx-480-vs-geforce-gtx-670/

I think you'll be fine. I've got a GTX 480 and it ran Rage and what few OpenGL games there are (Brink comes to mind and....) without issues.

bigace33

Nobody takes me seriously lol.

I don't know why not? You are always giving games away in this thread. I just miss out at the last second every time. I already own Just Cause 2. I keep hearing Gaf give it all this praise, but I'm not really feeling the game. Maybe I need to re install it and give it a 3rd shot.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I really like Inversion so far (~1 hour of play). The controls feel ridiculously tight at 60 fps and the animation and effects/lighting look rather nice. The story has a decent set up. The characters are pretty poorly voiced and really corny, but the plot is enough to look past them.

I think that I'm going to enjoy this quite a bit for the 10$ I paid.

Glass Rebel

I really like Inversion so far (~1 hour of play). The controls feel ridiculously tight at 60 fps and the animation and effects/lighting look rather nice. The story has a decent set up. The characters are pretty poorly voiced and really corny, but the plot is enough to look past them.

I think that I'm going to enjoy this quite a bit for the 10$ I paid.

Not that I want this game
yet
but I'm getting tired of Gamestop's region locking bullshit.

Jet Set Radio Pre-Purchase just got added to the registry :) Aw yeah.

oh god, can't wait to replay this in all its cel-shaded glory

btw: this would be perfect with the OST as DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom