• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
unacceptable excuse
:(

I promise this is the last time that real life and metabolism get in the way of gaming.

rionaa:

contract j.a.c.k. is painfully bad. they just reused the assets from the second game to make a lame action shooter with a forgettable lead character who doesn't even have the decency to be funny. it's also like 4 hours long which is insulting when you think of how deep and vast the main games are.
Are you serious? Only 4 hours? And they turned a stealth/action series into a straight-up shooter? Wow, talk about the dumbing down of games...

WTF were they thinking?

I was just going to say we are talking about NOLF and system shock... Jim-Jam must be visiting! And sure enough there he is.

lol

hey bro! we'll have to catch up next time I'm online, which might not be for a few weeks but it's already been a while so there's probably a bit of ground to cover there =D

Are you serious? Only 4 hours? And they turned a stealth/action series into a straight-up shooter? Wow, talk about the dumbing down of games...

WTF were they thinking?

my theory was always:

"these nolf games are always reviewed really well but nobody buys them. they must be too slow, and clearly don't involve killing enough waves of the same enemies. also, nobody wants to play as a woman so we should make a game where you play a guy with a huge barrel chest who has been hired to kill said woman.

also, I like money."

Just got another five DOTA 2 invites, seriously have 11 now and I rarely play the game. If anyone in the world still doesn't have an invite send me a PM

lol

hey bro! we'll have to catch up next time I'm online, which might not be for a few weeks but it's already been a while so there's probably a bit of ground to cover there =D

my theory was always:

"these nolf games are always reviewed really well but nobody buys them. they must be too slow, and clearly don't involve killing enough waves of the same enemies. also, nobody wants to play as a woman so we should make a game where you play a guy with a huge barrel chest who has been hired to kill said woman.

also, I like money."

Yeah we do need to catch up. And I think you are spot on with the theory.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
my theory was always:

also, I like money."
Sadly, I think your theory is true. As always is the case with any good franchise. So far, the only 2 that haven't disappointed me (and that I'm a fan of) are Max Payne and Jedi Knight.

I don't care if it's about the money, devs wanting to make something different, or some stupid decisions, but I hate when they ruin a unique franchise, taking away everything that made it special and therefore the purpose of playing those games.

Caerith

my theory was always:

also, I like money."
Of course nobody wants to play as a woman. We just want to protect them.

/Sarcasm.

Sadly, I think your theory is true. As always is the case with any good franchise. So far, the only 2 that haven't disappointed me (and that I'm a fan of) are Max Payne and Jedi Knight.

I don't care if it's about the money, devs wanting to make something different, or some stupid decisions, but I hate when they ruin a unique franchise, taking away everything that made it special and therefore the purpose of playing those games.

see also: hitman

Of course nobody wants to play as a woman. We just want to protect them.

/Sarcasm.

the funniest part is that it's a fucking fps! you almost never even see the character you're playing. maybe male gamers don't like being hit on by german double-agents.

Caerith

the funniest part is that it's a fucking fps! you almost never even see the character you're playing. maybe male gamers don't like being hit on by german double-agents.
Female main characters are always a hard sell outside of Nintendo handhelds. And not just to male gamers-- wasn't that big stink about Bioware allowing players to select a blonde female Shephard caused by a female blogger?

HoosTrax

Female main characters are always a hard sell outside of Nintendo handhelds. And not just to male gamers-- wasn't that big stink about Bioware allowing players to select a blonde female Shephard caused by a female blogger?
Er, wasn't that because "canonically", FemShep is a freckled, pasty redhead? Which makes sense for the same reason why in the Halo novels, Chief is pasty and pale (the space helmet). And randomly making her blonde was seen as pandering to males?

Caerith

Er, wasn't that because "canonically", FemShep is a freckled, pasty redhead? Which makes sense for the same reason why in the Halo novels, Chief is pasty and pale (the space helmet). And randomly making her blonde was seen as pandering to males?
Whose canon is that, though? Blonde FemShep was an option from the beginning of the series. I think it's just a case of (some, not all) gamers being assholes.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
That's debatable. While Absolution isn't a bad game in the slightest, the game design leaves a lot to be desired. The way disguises work (or actually don't), the small levels, lots of "get from point A to point B" levels without targets (pretty much 80% of the game), the focus on traditional stealth rather than social stealth, it all makes this one a different beast than the previous games (disclaimer: I haven't played Contracts, and played the first 3 missions of Codename 47 before watching a Let's Play of the rest).

It's a good game, but doesn't fit too well into the franchise, in my opinion.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Still asking for a place full of guides and helpful stuff for Cities of Motion. The forum link someone posted for Crusader Kings II was really good.

That's debatable. While Absolution isn't a bad game in the slightest, the game design leaves a lot to be desired. The way disguises work (or actually don't), the small levels, lots of "get from point A to point B" levels without targets (pretty much 80% of the game), the focus on traditional stealth rather than social stealth, it all makes this one a different beast than the previous games (disclaimer: I haven't played Contracts, and played the first 3 missions of Codename 47 before watching a Let's Play of the rest).

It's a good game, but doesn't fit too well into the franchise, in my opinion.

that's what I meant! sorry that wasn't really clear, I was putting it under the heading of "series where the sequel discards everything unique and interesting about its predecessors".

Lizardus

Holy shit I feel like I have lost control of my life. I have no time to play games because of job and I keep buying shit. And the little time off I get, I am juggling between 4-5 games (Metro 2033, LOTR:WITN, Transformers: War for Cybertron, Broken Sword 3).

Someone please finish these games for me!!!

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Are there actually GFWL enabled games on Steam? If so, is there a way to tell?

cicero

Dungeon Siege 3 is €4.99 on Gamersgate, €3.99 with the 20% deal for my account.
It redeems on Steam.

Is the game any good?

Mediocre is how I would describe it too.

Did anyone else besides me go in for yesterday's Settlers 7 Deluxe Gold Edition $5.84 deal on Gamersgate? I am a trifle less wary about buying on GamersGate now that they are actually honoring their bundle mistakes, I still haven't gotten my coupon yet though.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
that's what I meant! sorry that wasn't really clear, I was putting it under the heading of "series where the sequel discards everything unique and interesting about its predecessors".
Sorry, my mistake then. I'll erase your name from my Death Note, don't worry :p

Why am I still here? I should be playing Mark of the Ninja, or trying the Trials Evolution PC beta.

Well, that's stupid. :/
GFWL, SecuROM, Tages, pick your poison. Some games even come with a mix of them, and the result is a tasty blend of shit.

I still love you Batman: Arkham Asylum, you were one of the best games I played last year.

Echoplx

Are there actually GFWL enabled games on Steam? If so, is there a way to tell?

This should really be added to the OP

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/enhanced-steam/okadibdjfemgnhjiembecghcbfknbfhg

0U7n2.png

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I know Gabe hates Windows 8 but this is ridiculous, with each new update it seems Steam gets more and more buggy in Windows 8

no other program crashes anywhere near as frequently

they really need to make a Firefox extension of that
GFWL runs quite a bit worse in W8. Go figure.

Echoplx

I know Gabe hates Windows 8 but this is ridiculous, with each new update it seems Steam gets more and more buggy in Windows 8

Steam has never crashed for me in Windows 8 so far, I do have problems downloading games though, the longer the download takes the higher my memory usage gets, it's used like 3gb before.

GFWL runs quite a bit worse in W8. Go figure.

How so? Once it's installed it's exactly the same the problem is trying to get the right version to install in the first place :lol

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
they really need to make a Firefox extension of that

Firefox tends to miss out on these nifty little extensions. Enhanced Steam was the final straw for me (fortunately, the installer now imports bookmarks and history from Firefox properly). Even better is that I no longer have to contend with Flash locking up Firefox for ~15 seconds on a regular basis.

DTKT

Firefox tends to miss out on these nifty little extensions. Enhanced Steam was the final straw for me (fortunately, the installer now imports bookmarks and history from Firefox properly). Even better is that I no longer have to contend with Flash locking up Firefox for ~15 seconds on a regular basis.

Yeah, flash just crashes with Chrome now. Good stuff. :p

JaseC

Yeah, flash just crashes with Chrome now. Good stuff. :p

All is well on my front so far. *touch wood* My issues with Flash and Firefox affected both my previous and current PCs, but the two behave just fine on my laptop.

~Kinggi~

Banned
If it is revealed there is a very elegant solution to getting steam on my tv without lugging my desktop next to it, i will go crazy during the summer sale. They are already half way there with the big picture mode.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
that's true, but I still think that the way it's implemented is silly. even saints row 3 lets you bring your own character into a friend's game and it's not even an rpg in the traditional sense. that said, calling it "terrible" wasn't really fair. limited would be a better word for it.

But if you plan to play co-op, there is literally no reason to have your own character anyways. There is now new game + and the level balancing is fairly tight. It would just ruin the game for your partner. The only potential issue with the system is your friend realizing you are a shit co-op partner and ditching you leaving you with having to restart.

Gonna play through The Walking Dead in one sitting. Gonna blaze through it.

I enjoyed the series as a whole, but I wouldn't be able to stand that long a session.

Steam has never crashed for me in Windows 8 so far, I do have problems downloading games though, the longer the download takes the higher my memory usage gets, it's used like 3gb before.
I never noticed if it went that high on Win8 since I have 16 gb in my system.

JaseC

So far my only issue with GFWL has been its general sluggishness. It takes me a good 30 or so seconds to log in and when I downloaded Minerva's Den last year it barely cracked 200KBps.

catabarez

So far my only issue with GFWL has been its general sluggishness. It takes me a good 30 or so seconds to log in and when I downloaded Minerva's Den last year it barely cracked 200KBps.

God I wish it took me 30 seconds to log into GFWL.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yeah, it makes booting up GFWL games a pain at times if it's the type of game that boots you back to the title screen once it decides to log you in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom