• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah, it makes booting up GFWL games a pain at times if it's the type of game that boots you back to the title screen once it decides to log you in.

Worse still is when you have to download an update, restart the game, and log in again. I feel for those poor souls who encounter the issue where GFWL insists on downloading the same update again and again.

Danj

I just did a fresh install of Windows and I'm terrified to load up Dark Souls or Street Fighter 4. After spending an hour trying to figure out how to get rid of Windows.old because of two SecuROM files that somehow do not allow themselves to be manually uninstalled, I don't think this is the night to try my luck with shitty DRM schemes.

Hold me. -_-

If you have a Windows.old then you didn't do a "fresh" install, you just installed over the top of your old Windows. A fresh install is when you back your stuff up, then format the drive before reinstalling. No Windows.old problems that way.

Deques

This should really be added to the OP

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/enhanced-steam/okadibdjfemgnhjiembecghcbfknbfhg

0U7n2.png
they really need to make a Firefox extension of that
They really need to make a Opera plugin for that

port begging is banned guise
Was not begging, just noting that the functionality would be beneficial for other browsers. If I could make a plugin like that, I would. This is in no way a request.

Is it possible to rename a category that i already made?
You can make a new category with the correct name and manually move each game to that category. Once a category is empty (the old category), that category will disappear from your list.

Apologies if this has been asked before but is the Steam key being sold on Amazon.com for Dark Souls region locked? For some reason I seem to recall people saying it was US only.

1-D_FTW

It's always the little things non-Steam clients get wrong too. One of my pet peaves is not being able to copy and paste a serial into Live. And you have to do this every time you reformat (and thus register your games with Live). And sometimes the Steam overlay won't even help you, so you need to write that shit on paper to copy it down. Copy-and-Paste, MS! How hard is that?

Oh god my steam is crashing like a mofo today.

It crashed twice during random gaming at noon. Now it's crashing every time I click "start voice call", or somebody else tries to voice call me. And then randomly sometimes, for no reason at all. Have never had steam problems before.

I found some steam forum message of someone else complaining today. Other people provided no help.

Oh god my steam is crashing like a mofo today.

It crashed twice during random gaming at noon. Now it's crashing every time I click "start voice call", or somebody else tries to voice call me. And then randomly sometimes, for no reason at all. Have never had steam problems before.

I found some steam forum message of someone else complaining today. Other people provided no help.
Are you in beta?

Someone was crashing hard but then it stopped when they got out of the beta.

Echoplx

It's always the little things non-Steam clients get wrong too. One of my pet peaves is not being able to copy and paste a serial into Live. And you have to do this every time you reformat (and thus register your games with Live). And sometimes the Steam overlay won't even help you, so you need to write that shit on paper to copy it down. Copy-and-Paste, MS! How hard is that?

ctrl+v has always worked for me, in fact I just did it with Dark Souls the other day.

So I think my Dark Souls is still messed up. When it loads I can't press anything for 2/3 minutes or it crashes the exe and when it finally gets to the menu my controller doesn't work. I have tried verifying game cache and re-installing and they both do nothing.

JaseC

I avoided Steam betas for years because there wasn't a single update that wouldn't cause issues (erratic download speeds, updating/installing completely locking up Steam, etc.), although, oddly enough, ever since my account was automagically set to opt in some time last year I haven't had any trouble.

nexen

Sine Mora is beautiful. Such a pretty game.

Shame it has such poor mechanics. The difficulty is all over the map and it is so slow to get going. Plus the way the cut-scenes are handled robs me of that wonderful 'flow' feeling that I get out of good shooters. As soon as I feel like I'm getting into the zone I have to stop and wait for the game to wait for me to read a wall of ponderous, melodramatic text. What the hell was grasshopper thinking?

Still...so pretty. I need to screw around with arcade mode. Hopefully that minimizes the bad design decisions.

HoosTrax

All of these SteamBox threads are boring. Where can I get a bumper sticker that says "I was PC gaming before it became cool"...

---

So what happened to the Cave? It was listed in upcoming releases up until maybe yesterday.

has anyone used nvidia inspector to force AA on Dragon Age : Origins? Looking for a good config, but havn't found anything.

Just tried forcing all of the aliasing for now, looks better...but i have no idea what i'm doing

Tizoc

All of these SteamBox threads are boring. Where can I get a bumper sticker that says "I was PC gaming before it became cool"...

---

So what happened to the Cave? It was listed in upcoming releases up until maybe yesterday.

It's up for pre-order on Amazon.com and Greenmangaming ATM.

---

Tf2 preorder items popped up yesterday.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

I find the fervor over a "console" a little weird, too.

I'll be all over whatever controller Valve releases though. Hyped as shit for that.

Caerith

I find the fervor over a "console" a little weird, too.

I'll be all over whatever controller Valve releases though. Hyped as shit for that.
It's just a prebuilt PC, ain't it? My homebrew is already hooked up to the TV so I don't really follow this.

Now, if they made a solution for kb/m on couch other than my ikea table, I'd be interested.

I never tried to play around with the Nvidia CP to get extra options/better image quality in the past, I just stuck to what the in-game graphics option offered most of the time, but now I want to start to since I think I'm missing out on possibly better IQ, performance... etc

So I got Bioshock during the sale and loaded it up, the graphics setting are lacking to say the least, so I went to the nvidia CP and tried a couple of things for the first time, mostly turning almost everything to max to see what happens, it obviously improved the IQ (especially the AA) but it introduced some input lag which is obvious, after some experimenting I turned everything back to normal and shut the game off.

So, as a total virgin to using external programs/drivers to improve the game's graphics/performance beyond what's offered in the in-game option, what would be the best/most optimal way of doing it and which CP options should I change or ignore/not screw around with ?

G-Fex

I kinda want to get Primal Fears

I love the alien breed series and shadowground.

It looks like it's right up my alley.

cicero

Wow. From Amazon DVG Deals aka Tony on CAG.
Amazon DVG Deals said:

To sum it up, Amazon just got these 8 games from MS, ALL of them activate on Steam, and all will be in a promo soon:
Age of Empires III Complete Collection
Fable III
Fable: The Lost Chapters
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Mark of the Ninja
DEADLIGHT
Iron Brigade
Toy Soldiers

JaseC

Wow. From Amazon DVG Deals aka Tony on CAG.

To sum it up, Amazon just got these 8 games from MS, ALL of them activate on Steam, and all will be in a promo soon:
Age of Empires III Complete Collection
Fable III
Fable: The Lost Chapters
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Mark of the Ninja
DEADLIGHT
Iron Brigade
Toy Soldiers

I'm assuming they'll be in a bundle, and since I'm only interested in Deadlight and Iron Brigade, I hope the Editor's Choice promo credit stacks.

Edit: Oh, that's right, a fellow AusGAFer gifted me Iron Brigade, haha. Just Deadlight for me, then, if the price is right.

Tizoc

Iron Brigade looks like a game where you blow stuff up with a robot.
I like blowing stuff up with robots.
Gonna YT this and see more of it.
EDIT: Wait this is a Double Fine game? Why isn't it available in my region o_O.

Caerith

GFWL is why.

tjohn86

I beat the crap out of Iron Brigade back when it was "Trenched" on the 360. Will double dip if that graphics settings are right.

HoosTrax

Other than Deadlight and Mark of the Ninja, I think these are all GFWL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom