• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
February/March is so packed full of releases.

Titanfall Beta
Resident Evil 4
South Park
Titanfall
Dark Souls

What else should I put on my radar?

February/March for me:

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
Resident Evil 4
Dark Souls II
Metal Slug 3

Not sure about Thief yet. Somebody should leak review code so that I can try it like I did for DX: Human Revolution.

Titanfall I might get a bit later, depending on how many of my friends pick it up (probably none) and how good the community is.

Not sold on South Park yet. I have utmost trust in Obsidian and Parker & Stone but I don't know about them making a Paper Mario clone. We'll see.

On 3DS Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney and Senran Kagura Burst (EU) are the games to get but I think PLvsAA had lukewarm reception and I'm not so sure about getting a fullpriced retail game solely for 3D boobs.

Vita has DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, Ys: Memories of Celceta and Final Fantasy X & X-2 HD Remaster.

Sentinel 3 is one of my favorite tower defense games by the way. No idea how good the PC port is, but I'd certainly recommend at least wish listing it for a sale.

Derrick01

Banned
I liked Absolution... Why was it that bad? True, more story driven and not on par with silent assassin, but still noteworthy.

One of the best examples of consoles dumbing down a game's design in a desperate attempt to get more sales. They simplified the level design and the stealth and only improved the graphics and controls. Thankfully it bombed and was $20 about a month and a half after release.

Backlogger

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
plants_vs_zombies_1.png
That doesn't count!

Tenrius

Paper Monsters just got pulled it looks like.

They said they would release it in two months, so it might be the same sub again and those who purchased it today would get a patch later. Or maybe it will become another Holy Grail of Steam hoarders, but I think the former scenario is more likely.

Faabulous

I could explain my reasoning for not doing that (it mostly involves preorder bonuses and not having to worry about having enough dispensable money left by the release date).

However, the main reason I do it is because I don't think that pre-ordering gives publishers reason to believe that "scamming people with pre-orders" is a good idea. I frankly think it's a crazy thing to say, and even if some games did turn out bad or unfinished on day one, I wouldn't normally worry about that too much: things like that happen. You're also for some reason trying to counter my argument against pre-orders being some evil horrible thing from the outer reaches of Hell by simply repeating that initial point of yours again, which I find strange.

It's not some horrible thing that came from hell, its just some horrible thing that (in my mind) is only good for the publisher and has no positives for the player. So pardon me if I have a hard time countering your argument, but do tell me your reasoning beyond you not thinking it's harmful, I'm all ears.

I'm also struggling a bit with my words because english is not my native language, so do excuse me if I sound odd.

Chronoja

They said they would release it in two months, so it might be the same sub again and those who purchased it today would get a patch later. Or maybe it will become another Holy Grail of Steam hoarders, but I think the former scenario is more likely.

Here's hoping for a new sub for that extra game count. The purchase needs that silver lining since it felt sort of bad buying the game when the money was not going to go to the ones who deserved it, plus the 2nd app will ensure that they get the money from the purchase.

Derrick01

Banned
How is it desperate? New people buy and the old players complain but still buy it anyway.

It's the foolish notion that if they change a respected series to make it dull and easy for anyone to play that it'll sell 10 million copies instead of sticking to what works and trying to make that even better. It failed like everything else SE has done recently. It's nice to see a lazy console cash in fail for once.

It's the foolish notion that if they change a respected series to make it dull and easy for anyone to play that it'll sell 10 million copies instead of sticking to what works and trying to make that even better. It failed like everything else SE has done recently. It's nice to see a lazy console cash in fail for once.

Because the original thief games worked out so well for the devs right?

February/March is so packed full of releases.

Titanfall Beta
Resident Evil 4
South Park
Titanfall
Dark Souls

What else should I put on my radar?

Lords of Shadow 2
Double Dragon Neon
Metal Slug 3
Yaiba :p

Castlevania Lord of Shadow 2!

Double Dragon Neon looks like it might be good too.

Double Dragon Neon should be good if the netcode is up to snuff.

Double Dragon Neon (Steam)

Yes. Again, if the netcode is good.

Well, if you can play the beta by pre-ordering, you basically payed for early acess, which is not as bad IF you know what you are getting into. It's with pre-orders sight unseen that I have a problem with. It's honestly a cancer this industry has.

So I'm taking it you're NOT a fan of kickstarter then either.

So you're basically okay with stuff like Metal Slug 3 and King of Fighters XIII Steam Edition, but wouldn't be okay with pre-ordering something like Watch Dogs or South Park?

I believe that's correct.

Tenrius

It's not some horrible thing that came from hell, its just some horrible thing that (in my mind) is only good for the publisher and has no positives for the player. So pardon me if I have a hard time countering your argument, but do tell me your reasoning beyond you not thinking it's harmful, I'm all ears.

It's simple: I don't think pre-purchasing is any different from simply buying a game and I sometimes do it myself, just because I'm excited enough to want to play it day one, or maybe it's more convenient for me to pay for the game earlier and/or there are alluring bonuses. Or maybe just for no particular reason at all.

It's simple: I don't think pre-purchasing is any different from simply buying a game and I sometimes do it myself, just because I'm excited enough to want to play it day one, or maybe it's more convenient for me to pay for the game earlier and/or there are alluring bonuses. Or maybe just for no particular reason at all.

Pre-ordering can also ensure you get release day shipping on Amazon.
Or free DLC. Though it's annoying that some of the free DLC takes forever to show up as a normal marketplace purchase for those who didn't pre-purchase.

Faabulous

So I'm taking it you're NOT a fan of kickstarter then either.

That's a completely different beast. If you pledge your money on kickstarter and you treat it like a pre-order you are just acting stupid in my opinion. Kickstarter is more like an investment than a purchase.

No argument to counter if your reasons are "because I feel like it" then mate. I still think its damaging and can only be bad or neutral, best case scenario you get a good game that you could have bought day 1 anyway.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Try fiddling with your regional settings in windows.
Nah, not gonna change my Windows settings for a stupid game.

Besides, it run pretty choppy on my PC, which makes no sense at all because it doesn't look anywhere near like a remotely demanding game. I'm not impressed by the first level, which is to say I didn't enjoy it. Not sure if I'm gonna bother booting it up again.

February/March for me:

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
Resident Evil 4
Dark Souls II
Metal Slug 3

Not sure about Thief yet. Somebody should leak review code so that I can try it like I did for DX: Human Revolution.

Titanfall I might get a bit later, depending on how many of my friends pick it up (probably none) and how good the community is.

Not sold on South Park yet. I have utmost trust in Obsidian and Parker & Stone but I don't know about them making a Paper Mario clone. We'll see.

On 3DS Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney and Senran Kagura Burst (EU) are the games to get but I think PLvsAA had lukewarm reception and I'm not so sure about getting a fullpriced retail game solely for 3D boobs.

Vita has DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, Ys: Memories of Celceta and Final Fantasy X & X-2 HD Remaster.
Did I read "Paper Mario clone"? I didn't know that about the new South Park game, but if it's similar to Nintendo's best franchise (haven't played Sticker Star yet) then I will have no option but to pre-order it from one of those shady dudes.

Uraizen

Banned
No argument to counter if your reasons are "because I feel like it" then mate. I still think its damaging and can only be bad or neutral, best case scenario you get a good game that you could have bought day 1 anyway.

But how do you determine whether or not you consider it good before playing it for yourself? There are rentals on console, but PC?

Tenrius

That's not my argument though. You're the one who has to prove that pre-ordering damages anything, because "it gives publishers data to back their idea that scamming us with pre-orders is nice" is not good enough (because that statement is based on the initial statement that pre-ordering does damage something).

Faabulous

But how do you determine whether or not you consider it good before playing it for yourself? There are rentals on console, but PC?

I don't usually buy games blind, I watch media coverage that I trust, or ask friends so day 1 is usually when the embargos are up and I can make a more informed purchase.
That's not my point tho, because when you pre-order you are not only buying without getting any information (which is all on you) but you are also encouraging devs to alter marketing material and craft up DLC just so people can pre-order more, that which in my opinion is damaging to the industry as a whole and have no positives for us the players. We get butched games and innacurate marketing just so they can get our money earlier.

That's not my argument though. You're the one who has to prove that pre-ordering damages anything, because "it gives publishers data to back their idea that scamming us with pre-orders is nice" is not good enough (because that statement is based on the initial statement that pre-ordering does damage something).

See ^

Did I read "Paper Mario clone"? I didn't know that about the new South Park game, but if it's similar to Nintendo's best franchise (haven't played Sticker Star yet) then I will have no option but to pre-order it from one of those shady dudes.

Yeah, it has quite a bit of action commands, even though they aren't presented in the same way with button prompts. Watch this video, the battle starts at ~2:10.

Did you get M&L: Dream Team?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
That's a completely different beast. If you pledge your money on kickstarter and you treat it like a pre-order you are just acting stupid in my opinion. Kickstarter is more like an investment than a purchase.

I disagree.
As far as I'm concerned, you're pre-ordering the game (and whatever goodies you'd like if you pledge a larger sum) for a game that will be delivered later. I have a bunch of kickstarter games I backed that I consider pre-orders and am patiently waiting for the delivery of the game.

The best Steam app is on iOS.

That's not helpful.
Search for holo Steam -- you should find it on XDA.
Most people seem to like it better than the official Steam app for android.

Uraizen

Banned
I don't usually buy games blind, I watch media coverage that I trust, or ask friends so day 1 is usually when the embargos are up and I can make a more informed purchase.
That's not my point tho, because when you pre-order you are not only buying without getting any information (which is all on you) but you are also encouraging devs to alter marketing material and craft up DLC just so people can pre-order more, that which in my opinion is damaging to the industry as a whole and have no positives for us the players. We get butched games and innacurate marketing just so they can get our money earlier.

Fair enough.

Faabulous

I disagree.
As far as I'm concerned, you're pre-ordering the game (and whatever goodies you'd like if you pledge a larger sum) for a game that will be delivered later. I have a bunch of kickstarter games I backed that I consider pre-orders and am patiently waiting for the delivery of the game.

Well, I just hope you don't get burned then.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I think I've warmed up to Absolution a lot more since it's release. There's more of the old games in there than I thought. The 'classic' assassination levels like King of Chinatown and Shaving Lenny. Blackwater Park's a bit clever too. Birdie's Gift is a fun 'bonus' level.

Those long ass, slog-through-a-dozen-guards, levels though. Ugh. Not fun to stealth through, not fun to disguise through, not fun to shoot through. No interesting challenges.

Some fundamental flaws with the very concept and execution of a lot of the core mechanics of the title. The checkpoint system over save states. The 'I-know-everyone-who-has-ever-worn-my-uniform' disguise system. Level design based around shoot outs. The dumb plot.

I'm very interested to see if Eidos will have figured out what was wrong with Absolution in the sequel. The 'no magic pockets' comment might be a good sign. Or maybe it means 47 will be limited to two weapons and a vigor.

Well, I just hope you don't get burned then.

So far, I'm 1 for 1. I backed Skullgirls PC and that seems to have worked out.

Still waiting on:
Yatagarasu (I wish this was on greenlight)
Hyper Light Drifter
Shantae
Soul Saga
MIghty No. 9

Normally I agree with you -- there's no reason to pre-order in a lot of cases. Unless you plan on picking the game up day 1 in the first place or there's some other incentive that makes it worth your while.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it has quite a bit of action commands, even though they aren't presented in the same way with button prompts. Watch this video, the battle starts at ~2:10.

Did you get M&L: Dream Team?
Man, that looks awesome. I must get it now, and forget about those crazy dreams of owning a motorbike (which has gotten way more expensive in the last 3 weeks, so I'm not going to buy one for a long time). I don't know if the battle animations will become boring after a while, but that was beautiful.

And no, I haven't gotten M&L yet, but I plan to. I really liked the demo, but I decided to buy Ace Attorney 5 and PM: Sticker Star yesterday, so I can't (or actually shouldn't) spend more this month.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Longbow got back to me, suggesting that I register my Steam copy of Hegemony Gold on their site and they'd add Philip of Macedon to my (Longbow) account. As nice a gesture as that is, I responded reiterating why I'd like a Steam key in particular and again mentioned that I'd be happy to buy another copy of the Gold Edition as thanks, however I have a feeling that the answer is going to be "no". As disappointing as that would be, even if I wanted to I couldn't blame them for not indulging the pleas of a crazy person.

Update: Apparently he misspoke and meant to say that the key I'll be given for Philip once I've registered my copy of the Gold Edition will be Steam-redeemable. Hooray! On a similar note I'd also like to thank Andy for seeing if Nvidia had any spare Arkham Asylum keys from way back when it was offering them with select GPUs, but as expected there are none left. I may submit another support ticket to WB and ask that it be raised with a manager but if that fails I officially give up.

Ezra2680

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Eldritch -- MB-DD7A28D8E1DC8FAB - Taken by tylergregg

Man, that looks awesome. I must get it now, and forget about those crazy dreams of owning a motorbike (which has gotten way more expensive in the last 3 weeks, so I'm not going to buy one for a long time). I don't know if the battle animations will become boring after a while, but that was beautiful.

I really hope it's good. It's ridiculous actually, I like the franchise, I like the developer and I like the gameplay. But I'm still cautious.

And no, I haven't gotten M&L yet, but I plan to. I really liked the demo, but I decided to buy Ace Attorney 5 and PM: Sticker Star yesterday, so I can't (or actually shouldn't) spend more this month.

I still need to give Sticker Star a try one day. I'm a bit wary because of the negative feedback it's been getting since release but I really like the series as well. One day.

Update: Apparently he misspoke and meant to say that the key I'll be given for Philip once I've registered my copy of the Gold Edition will be Steam-redeemable. Hooray! On a similar note I'd also like to thank Andy for seeing if Nvidia had any spare Arkham Asylum keys from way back when it was offering them with select GPUs, but as expected there are none left. I may submit another support ticket to WB and ask that it be raised with a manager but if that fails I officially give up.

Why do you need an Arkham Asylum key?

--

I really need to figure out what game to play next... I need something different after spending all that time with Rising.
I just don't know what I'm feeling like playing. :|

Caerith

Pre-ordering games is harmful to the hobby in two cases:
  1. If it encourages publishers to remove stuff from the game to offer as pre-order or retailer-exclusive DLC. (Example: Metro devs forced to remove content from Last Light by retailers.)
  2. If it encourages publishers to outright lie about what their product is because there's no way anyone would buy it after reading a(n honest) review. (Examples: Aliens: Colonial Marines and probably Sim City too.)
Metal Slug 3 isn't either of these. Thief is probably both. The moral to this story shouldn't be "pre-ordering is bad" but rather "don't encourage shitty publishers."

Didn't Hitman: Absolution sell a couple million copies shortly after its release? Unfortunately we can't really say people weren't eager to gobble it up...

I mean: it did "fail" by performing inadequately relative to its sale projections, but only because Square-Enix' expectations were insanely high to begin with. A mistake they were happy to repeat with Tomb Raider as well, strangely enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom