• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

I'd consider hopping in if you find a group.
Are you talking 4 pack straight from the store of 4 pack from a trader? There's probably a good difference in the price, I'd wager.

I had assumed the store. It's 4 for $74.99 which is a decent savings compared to the regular price of $24.99. I don't buy many games so I hadn't really considered looking elsewhere.

Tellaerin

Such a welcome change, too, from "the enemy's weak point opens up over here, just wait for it then hit it to make them flash red, now repeat three times."

You know, it really hit me just now that most boss fights play out exactly the opposite of how they should. If you're wearing down an opponent, they should by all rights become progressively less dangerous, until they reach a point where you can get in there and deliver the coup de grace. Instead, virtually every boss in videogames begins busting out more and more deadly attacks as their health drops, until they abruptly pitch over dead.

It might seem kind of anticlimactic for boss fights to be front-loaded, where the boss leads off with the strongest attacks possible and falls back on progressively weaker ones as you wound/tire/break off parts of him, but if executed properly, I think it could be a very satisfying experience.

I had assumed the store. It's 4 for $74.99 which is a decent savings compared to the regular price of $24.99. I don't buy many games so I hadn't really considered looking elsewhere.

When I got my 4 pack think it ended up being 21 keys I.e around €37-40 depending on key prices you might be able to get it cheaper if you look around

Caerith

You know, it really hit me just now that most boss fights play out exactly the opposite of how they should. If you're wearing down an opponent, they should by all rights become progressively less dangerous, until they reach a point where you can get in there and deliver the coup de grace. Instead, virtually every boss in videogames begins busting out more and more deadly attacks as their health drops, until they abruptly pitch over dead.

It might seem kind of anticlimactic for boss fights to be front-loaded, where the boss leads off with the strongest attacks possible and falls back on progressively weaker ones as you wound/tire/break off parts of him, but if executed properly, I think it could be a very satisfying experience.

There's a boss in Dark Souls who, as the fight wears on, starts visibly limping, clearly in pain and struggling to go on. It was not a very satisfying experience.

Levyne

Banned
The way boss fight typically work (progressively more difficult) tends to make sense mechanically, even if it is a bit game-y. You could also argue that they are getting more desperate/reckless and therefore more dangerous. But yeah, it would be cool to see more bosses that come out incredibly dangerous and you'd have to learn how to weaken them very quickly/effectively in order to survive for the long haul. Being a little vague because it would depend on the type of game.

Nabs

There's a boss in Dark Souls who, as the fight wears on, starts visibly limping, clearly in pain and struggling to go on. It was not a very satisfying experience.

I was watching a (great) LP where she tried to leave the fight after noticing the limp. She ended up getting an artist to draw this up afterwards http://i.imgur.com/FOOwffj.png (DS spoilers. Duh)

(KayPlays Blind LP of Dark Souls is the best I've seen. It proves that the game isn't too complicated or tough if you just pay attention: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu3T-57vLRVEjF8viOEjm9g)

Tellaerin

I still need to play Dark Souls. : /

And that's unfortunate. I was envisioning scenarios where the bosses lead off with the typical cheap boss uber-attacks, and the player gets to break his weapons/injure him/etc. to progressively deprive him of those abilities, resulting in "Oh yeah? Let's see you do that now!" moments. Whether or not it'd be workable in practice, I don't know.

The way boss fight typically work (progressively more difficult) tends to make sense mechanically, even if it is a bit game-y. You could also argue that they are getting more desperate/reckless and therefore more dangerous. But yeah, it would be cool to see more bosses that come out incredibly dangerous and you'd have to learn how to weaken them very quickly/effectively in order to survive for the long haul. Being a little vague because it would depend on the type of game.

Yeah, bosses becoming progressively more dangerous as the fight goes on is a "game-y" convention, but it's one that's been proven to work really well. It's part of the reason I'd be interested in seeing if someone could pull off the reverse while still keeping the gameplay entertaining.

woo and indeed hoo is going to be pleased! Would you elaborate a bit, maybe?

:) Even I wouldn't say it was a terrible game. It's well made overall and very polished. I would argue it's too polished though as they removed any cognitive challenge. This lead to me feeling profoundly uninvolved and, well frankly, bored when I played it. That was pretty frustrating as so many ingredients in the game should have been to my taste. I have more issues with the game than that but that was the most egregious.

However, my thoughts on the game only apply to me. Everyone else is free to agree or disagree at their leisure. It makes no difference to me; each to their own. If I really take to a game then I am delighted to see that someone else is similarly enamoured with it. However, it bothers me not a jot if they are not.

You articulated much of how I feel so thank you for that.

:'(

XCOM completed. I was starting to roll over all of the usual missions but then the game threw the last two rooms of the temple ship at me. Initially won losing my favorite soldier but then reloaded to win with the team intact, haha.

Fun game, I might burp out a steam review with extended impressions.

Well done :).

Caerith

I still need to play Dark Souls. : /

And that's unfortunate. I was envisioning scenarios where the bosses lead off with the typical cheap boss uber-attacks, and the player gets to break his weapons/injure him/etc. to progressively deprive him of those abilities, resulting in "Oh yeah? Let's see you do that now!" moments. Whether or not it'd be workable in practice, I don't know.
Yeah, your version would be cooler. Kinda like the Mr Freeze fight, which is basically him saying, "Oh yeah? Let's see you do that now" every time you hit him.

I don't remember this. Was that in the DLC?
Base game, but the DLC adds an optional pre-fight scene to make it even sadder.

You talking about
Sif ?

Yeah.

Is there a community categorisation site?

Maybe it could be an enhanced steam thing. People could tag a game based on a set number of categories and then the full list could be downloaded for import into depressurizer...assuming it supports imports.

Tizoc

That pressurizer software sounds good for quickly tidying up your game list.

Now that I think about it I think I'll play those games that are uncatogerized, any I like I would by then have found a category/folder for them.

That's a myth.

The Thief OT should be named 'RIP Derrick'

or 'he died for your sins'

or 'derrick's goty'

I like these picks.

Anyone forming a 4-pack for the Banner Saga?

There's a 4-pack? I'd join in but I don't like transferring payment via paypal.
maybe I could trade a game for it?

Caerith

Is there a community categorisation site?

Maybe it could be an enhanced steam thing. People could tag a game based on a set number of categories and then the full list could be downloaded for import into depressurizer...assuming it supports imports.

Would be nice if you could filter your library by tags. Would be nice if everything on the store wasn't "Adventure."

It should just carry over classification from the store 'browse by genre' categories with a tag system. All I use is installed though, and I like to stay at 16-20 games at a time installed.

*Looks at uncategorized library of 1,400 games*

Yes. Yes I'll do this. Thank you sir.

Beware, you'll end up with some stupidly broad categories if you accept Steam's stuff.

I think you can get it for about $12 a copy through traders if you get a 4-pack.

Caerith

It should just carry over classification from the store 'browse by genre' categories with a tag system. All I use is installed though, and I like to stay at 16-20 games at a time installed.

A lot of the store categories are pretty bad, though. Call of Duty, Octodad, Next Car Game, The Novelist, and that vagina flower simulator are all in the same genre, for instance.

A lot of the store categories are pretty bad, though. Call of Duty, Octodad, Next Car Game, The Novelist, and that vagina flower simulator are all in the same genre, for instance.

Thank you. Finally someone echoing the point I've been trying to make about the auto-categorize feature of depressurizer.
It's glaring fault is that it uses Steam's broad genre list to auto-categorize... which I find infuriating. There's no way that the Arkham games, Metal Gear Rising, Call of Duty, etc. should all be in the same category.

Thanks for Gravity Badgers! Someone mentioned earlier that I play this so I look forward to it.

I should probably do that. I have 144 installed... Running out of room on my HDD because of it.
I run a tight ship, plus it helps keep focus on said games, if I find I haven't played a game in over 2 months say... I usually uninstall it. Only a few stick around permanently, like my stalker mod, killing floor, and csgo.

Totally, it's a start I guess, Valve should step it up getting some more specific categories or just redo the entire system.

Caerith

Thank you. Finally someone echoing the point I've been trying to make about the auto-categorize feature of depressurizer.
It's glaring fault is that it uses Steam's broad genre list to auto-categorize... which I find infuriating. There's no way that the Arkham games, Metal Gear Rising, Call of Duty, etc. should all be in the same category.

It's symptomatic of a problem with gaming in general: terrible genre definitions. And terrible genre names.

I run a tight ship, plus it helps keep focus on said games, if I find I haven't played a game in over 2 months say... I usually uninstall it. Only a few stick around permanently, like my stalker mod, killing floor, and csgo.
I had been keeping most of them around in case I felt like playing them, but that was sort of enabling my habit of starting a ton of games but never finishing them, ever. I'm already starting to pare them down. I figure if I want to play through them I can install them.

I'm thinking I'll have:
-Staples
-In-progress
-Finished
-Not Started

Caerith

Oh nice, didn't know this existed. The fact that you can't do simple things like rename categories within Steam itself is ridiculous.

It's supposed to be a lot easier on Origin, everything just falls into one of two genres: Battlefield or Mass Effect.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's supposed to be a lot easier on Origin, everything just falls into one of two genres: Battlefield or Mass Effect.

mUjmI3T.gif

louiedog

You must have missed that Origin bundle then.

And that time that all the <$20 games were free...

Only took the steam keys from that one. I probably still have unactivated origin keys somewhere.

I can't even think of an instance that would cause me to purchase a game on origin.

I picked up Syndicate for cheap and played it last week. I really liked it.

Though, yes, I would have gotten it from Steam if it had been available.

Enjoy
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Sideways New York -- MB-6F6D613D4F7116E7 - Taken by Soule
Astro Tripper -- MB-490D2553B9460D55 - Taken by HalfwayOrb

DocSeuss

Obviously creating something will usually be more difficult than critiquing that something.

"creating versus critiquing" is different from criticism and praise. Aside from the more obvious reasons, criticism is more useful/important than praise on a forum like this because praise often doesn't get questioned; you can say "this game it the best" without explaining how without catching flack. People often get defensive of games they like when they see criticism no matter how valid that criticism may be, therefore people who aren't just trying to rile people up with avoid one-off "this game sucks" type posts.

For a while, Derrick was what his detractors thought him to be. I remember him often posting opinions as if they were fact &#8212; or commonly accepted as truth &#8212; in abrasive ways. Even the few times I agreed with what he had to say, it seemed as if he didn't want to go through the trouble of explaining his stance, so his posts were of the "this game sucks" type.

I remember him getting banned some time after that and upon his return, he actually started explaining what he meant when he said "this game sucks." I think he made a thread about Hitman: Absolution where he just plainly laid out how the game worked and the ways it went against the main draws of the series. That type of feedback could be immensely useful for developers, especially if they're doing something that compromises the point of their game. Derrick went on to post like this for a while and even when I'd disagree about a particular game "sucking" I could see how someone could feel that way about it by reading one of his posts.

Every so often, I see another of his posts and noticed them getting progressively closer to how I remember them being when I first joined. You can't excuse lazily bashing games with saying why, but I completely understand how someone would slack off in that regard. That The Last of Us thread is a prime example. A completely sound attempt at criticism of a game &#8212; not necessarily airtight, or without any flaws, but reasonable, with some backup &#8212; is presented and a flood of drive-by, one-off, empty attacks comes pouring in. When you go against what's popular, the majority, the status quo, Etc. you'll often have to sift through a bunch of crap involving attacks on your very right to say whatever it is that you're saying. Like, you have to defend the fact that you can say "this is bad," before even being able to discuss the validity of your actual initial statement. so I get, even if resorting to "this sucks BYE" isn't excusable.

I was never his friend and I never really liked him, but I considerably appreciated what he saw. I could count on him to at least address the failings of the industry and to point out what many would consider harmful trends/habits in regards to game design from a consumer perspective, stuff designers might not realize were bad, or stuff they would never willingly put in their games if they had any other choice. That's one less person I can count on to do that here.

I always felt like Derrick was doing what I did, but without any tact or stuff. Like, I mean, I just published about 3,500 words on Assassin's Creed 3 elsewhere. It wasn't so much "this sucks I hate it omfg." I said as much in the intro. I did my best to take the game apart at the fundamental level and examined why people said it sucked, rather than simply saying "it sucks." And then I used that to open up a dialog about rethinking the way we approach game design, how design's a kind of linguistics, and stuff like that. It was fun, and feedback to the piece has been almost universally positive, unlike some of my earlier stuff.

I have learned, however, that criticism of any kind is going to be met by post-modern idiots screaming "that's just your opinion," which is clearly meant to denigrate the critic and deny any kind of valuable discussion. A lot of people have accused myself and others of simply being prescriptive when we're really not--we're carefully explaining our position. As an example, my tag. It's humorous, and I enjoy it. I can't say my post describing it was the best thing ever, but a bunch of people just decided I hated Japan and was saying all Japanese games sucked, when what I was actually saying was that Japanese game design tends to rely heavily on abstraction, where Western game design relies more on simulation, and abstraction works best in 2D games (like board games or mobile stuff), while simulation works best in 3D games. It's a totally reasonable position to take--indeed, most designers I've discussed this with agree. But on GAF, you've got people, who, y'know, get really upset and lash out and think you're spouting your opinion and demanding everyone listen to you. Not much you can do when people refuse to have reasonable discussion.

But that's how I see myself as trying to do things. I'm aware I'm not as visible as Derrick, but I do try to be as valuable as he could be at times, and my hope is that, if I can be better at this, people will provide me with good, engaging feedback that helps me improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom