• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like, I mean, I just published about 3,500 words on Assassin's Creed 3 elsewhere. It wasn't so much "this sucks I hate it omfg." I said as much in the intro.

There is nothing wrong with being negative (otherwise I'd be in trouble apparently!) but there is a big difference between saying AC sucks and giving a reason, to saying AC sucks 100 times a day for 6 months.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It finally happened:

boosterfoil3tkig.jpg

I've received foils before, but never from a booster.

DocSeuss

There is nothing wrong with being negative (otherwise I'd be in trouble apparently!) but there is a big difference between saying AC sucks and giving a reason, to saying AC sucks 100 times a day for 6 months.

My point was that I'm trying not to be as bitter as that, and if I sound like it, then I hope people call me out. I also hope if someone lamented Derrick when he was actually thoughtful, I can somewhat fill that void by, y'know, being thoughtful while simultaneously pretty critical.

Literally sitting here writing a piece right now about everything from Absolution to Thief to Infinite right now, hoping it helps explain what the 451 ideology means, the games that learned from that, the folly of "1999 modes" and stuff like that.

Is Telltale's Back to the Future as bad as their Jurassic Park game? I just finished Jurassic Park and didn't like it too much due to the QTEs. They were just horribly implemented.

Anteater

As I said, it's subjective. I wouldn't call the pacing 'impeccable'. It didn't do much for me. And I updated my post with some of my complains on the combat. The environments are detailed, sure, but I feel the game just isn't very pretty. It's all green and dreary.

I didn't find the pacing good at all, infact the boss fights are incredibly poop actually ruined the pacing quite a bit, then you have the terrible croc's lair section and the boring batarang boss, the fun parts are a bit far from each other, I actually enjoyed just taking out enemies and the combat sections tho despite batman is a bit slow and clunky. Didn't like the last boss either, but I guess it's better than the ones from uncharted games or ass creed 2 :p

I liked city a bit better, bosses at least had some efforts put into them.

Volimar

So I finally ordered a long overdue upgrade to my internet speed. When I went I mentioned that the DISH installer guy accidentally cut and then rewired by internet cable. So in addition to getting my cable bundle installed, they're going to run new cable for my internet. Yay right? Not so fast. I get home and my internet is not working. I call the customer service and the guy says that it's not working because the work order for the house isn't closed yet. So I don't have my old internet, and won't have my new internet until the 18th. Dammit. Right now I'm "borrowing" an unsuspecting neighbor's unsecured wifi.

Dammit.

Also, sad to hear negative impressions about ESO. Though, I'm sure Bethesda will have all the bugs ironed out before launBWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Still eager to try the beta for myself.

dani_dc

I didn't know sonic generations was on PC until now

geez I WONDER WHY

25XZIwv.jpg
Thankfully the game is steamworks and goes on sale fairly often, solid port overall too. Really couldn't imagine not playing it on PC considering the console version run at 30fps.

Levyne

Banned
Generations was one of my better blind buys of the last few years. I liked it a lot, and 60fps along with smarter level design made it less of a rote obstacle avoidance simulator and actually a fun game.

Anteater

Thankfully the game is steamworks and goes on sale fairly often, solid port overall too. Really couldn't imagine not playing it on PC considering the console version run at 30fps.

Yeah, I just saw it on gamersgate and was like "wut, this game is on pc?"

Sonic must be pushing some impressive graphic tech to be running at 30fps. >.>

JaseC

Nice. I got a foil from a Dungeons of Dredmor booster a few weeks ago. Lucky I opened it because I usually just sell boosters as is.

The few times I've tried to sell boosters they just decreased in value to the point where I'd be losing very little by unpacking them and selling the individual cards. :(

Deques

Finished and got all achievements for Hero of the Kingdom
v4CpHaX.jpg

A relaxing game where I don't have to stress so much. It was fun game, and the graphics is nice. I like it. The downside was to find all items through the game to get all the achievements. But it wasn't so hard. It took me around 5 hours to complete the game

wazoo

It's supposed to be a lot easier on Origin, everything just falls into one of two genres: Battlefield or Mass Effect.

That is not fair. EA has plenty of games in different genres. quality should not be considered here, otherwise we should start to clean a bit the steam store as well.

Aaron

Astro Tripper could have been such a cool game, but the fact that you die from one hit combined with it resetting the level after every death is such bad design. There's a reason that top down shooters abandoned the level reset more than a decade ago.

dani_dc

Yeah, I just saw it on gamersgate and was like "wut, this game is on pc?"

Sonic must be pushing some impressive graphic tech to be running at 30fps. >.>

I can see it being easy to miss, with Steam blocking the game (out of curiosity, what region are you on?) on your local store.
After all the game was released a month or two after the console version, so it didn't get that much marketing, which is typical for Sega PC releases really, at least it didn't just one day appear on the store overnight like NiGHTS, Condemned, Typing of the Dead or Binary Domain.

The game is very pleasent visually, and even on PC you get a few framedrops on Chemical Plant (thankfully if you have a good PC, that's the only stage where that happens).
I would say that locking Sonic at 30fps is an awful decision, but thankfully the PC version allows some of us to rectify it. It really is a completely different experience playing a Sonic games at 30 and 60fps.

Anteater

I can see it being easy to miss, with Steam blocking the game (out of curiosity, what region are you on?) on your local store.
After all the game was released a month or two after the console version, so it didn't get that much marketing, which is typical for Sega PC releases really, at least it didn't just one day appear on the store overnight like NiGHTS, Condemned, Typing of the Dead or Binary Domain.

The game is very pleasent visually, and even on PC you get a few framedrops on Chemical Plant (thankfully if you have a good PC, that's the only stage where that happens).
I would say that locking Sonic at 30fps is an awful decision, but thankfully the PC version allows some of us to rectify it. It really is a completely different experience playing a Sonic games at 30 and 60fps.

I live in asia, it's actually quite surprising that they lock this region out considering they have been making great progress with console games over here, when it used to be nothing but piracy because of the lack of localization and support during the ps2 era.

Yeah I admit Sega games have been really visually stunning, Sonic racing transformed was one of the games that looked incredible, just felt that sonic games or racing games would be the last thing they would be pushing graphics over performance on consoles.

Thorgal

Thank you. Finally someone echoing the point I've been trying to make about the auto-categorize feature of depressurizer.
It's glaring fault is that it uses Steam's broad genre list to auto-categorize... which I find infuriating. There's no way that the Arkham games, Metal Gear Rising, Call of Duty, etc. should all be in the same category.

Call of duty i give you , but i do not see why the other 2 do not belong together since they are both action games.

neoemonk

In home streaming seems to have improved with the last few client updates. I played Dark Souls the other night and was able to parry and backstab regularly. That was kind of my litmus test.

JaseC

Is Anno better than Settlers 2?

I've never played Settlers 2. :( I did play the demo of 3, though. It has an... interesting visual style:

45929_full.jpg

your dedication to thus cause.. is really -thumbs up-
hereby confer you the title of the Anno Hero(ine)

Haha, I can only hope that King Kong and Tintin are going to follow suit. I actually mentioned them before Anno in my message but alas their apps are as quiet as ever. I could begrudgingly understand why Ubi would be hesitant to bring Tintin over as presumably there'd be a bit of tinkering involved with integrating Uplay to play nicely with Steam, but since King Kong predates Uplay, Ubi could just use the DRM-free build it offers on GamersGate.

Evrain

I've never played Settlers 2. :( I did play the demo of 3, though. It had an... interesting visual style:

45929_full.jpg

Haha, I can only hope that King Kong and Tintin are going to follow suit. I actually mentioned them before Anno in my message but alas their apps are as quiet as ever. I could begrudgingly understand why Ubi would be hesitant to bring Tintin over as presumably there'd be a bit of tinkering involved with integrating Uplay to play nicely with Steam, but since King Kong predates Uplay, Ubi could just use the DRM-free build it offers on GamersGate.
Settlers 3... Gosh, that brings back memories. From an AoE player's perspective, I spent two days straight playing the demo and wondering why I couldn't click on my villagers.

While the Anno games are very good they are not close to the master piece Settlers 2. Anyone with any interest of the genre should play it if they haven't. It holds up very well.

I feel the Anno games are easier to get into and are generally more fun to play... for a while. They just get old faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom