• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurahador

Steam Forums is getting all crazy regarding the price of Dark Souls 2.

I don't get it. Is $49.99/49.99€/£39.99 that bad for a game like Dark Souls?

Seems like a perfectly normal price point.

And South Park is $60.
Yeah...I really don't get the complaints.

Dr Dogg

Steam Forums is getting all crazy regarding the price of Dark Souls 2.

I don't get it. Is $49.99/49.99€/£39.99 that bad for a game like Dark Souls?

Seems like a perfectly normal price point.

Well I can see why a lot of UK folk might be getting bent out of shape. At retail it you could pick up the Black Armour Editon for £29.99 or less (I managed to get a BAE for £24 and a Collectors for £56) and now they are all sold out the only way to grab the extras is through digital distribution which happens to be £10 more expensive (not counting resellers with discount codes). But this is hardly Namco starting a trend, THQ and Bethesda were pulling some funky stuff about 3 years ago and Activision and UbiSoft have jacked their prices up. Thankfully it's a very open and competitive market and you're not tied to make every purchase through the Steam store. Though I guess some poeple either forgot that or just like a moan.
Until this year, almost all PC games were £29.99 on release.

I'm not too bothered as the Steam price is easily beaten by a bunch of other retailers, but some people like to buy through Steam. Still can't believe that's also the price of South Park.

Thank our glorious retail sector in turmoil for crazy low prices. Tesco by me haven't got a single PC title above £25 and PC World/Curry's are always having a firesale when they need to shift some stock.

Arthea

50 € has been the normal MSRP for PC games as long as I can remember (paying in Euros).
Not really, some digital stores were charging everyone in $ (not all), and $50 is not 50 €. UK stores were not charging that either. In my eyes it's not normal price. According to my bank, £40 = $70, and 50€ = $71
that's not simply bad, that's outrageous

Dr Dogg

Not really, some digital stores were charging everyone in $ (not all), and $50 is not 50 €. UK stores were not charging that either. In my eyes it's not normal price. According to my bank, £40 = $70, and 50€ = $71

Don't forget that all prices in £ and € already include 20% VAT which is not included in $ prices. So £39.99 is actually £33 to Valve/Namco and £6 to the taxman.

"I do." [/Dr Shen]

I enjoy it. I do it partly as a pictorial memento of the enjoyable time I had with the game and partly for the lulz. Most of my captions are very suggestive and distinctly politically incorrect which appeals to my sense of humour. If anyone else reads them and enjoys them that's a bonus but I really do it to amuse myself :).

If that appeals to you feel free to add me on Steam [link in my GAF profile] :p.

Hey!

This is confusing. :(

_hekk05

Banned

At least you guys get sales for physical copies sometimes. We get none. We piggyback off US steam digital prices though

Knurek

I guess that with PC digital sales rising and rising publishers somehow forgot that they are competing with RELOADED/FAIRLIGHT editions.

Durante

Depends on country, I guess.
South Park PC is 25€ here, PS3 version costs 49€.
Sure, that's why publishers love region locking.

Anyway, retail PC games have generally been 50€ here on Steam as long as I can remember. That's why I never buy those on Steam :p

Grief.exe

I wish the Black Armor Edition was available in the US.

The collector's edition on the Bandai US store gives me hope. They have two months to get it done.

Does it? I'm sure the game will be good, but no online MP is a huge letdown.

It really is. I love this resurgence in local MP games like this one and Samurai Gunn but at least include a network mode like Nidhogg does, even if it isn't the most ideal way to play the game.

_hekk05

Banned
Ok what sorcery is this. My HP laptop just repaired a line of dead pixels right in front of my eyes. Only 1 more to go ...

Dr Dogg

$50 + 21% VAT = $60,5, not $71, just reminding

How many peeps in the US pay sales tax on digital goods? I know it varies from state to state but there's no distinction in EU territories it's in and around 20%, sometime higher and that's paid at checkout. Where as some US states paid none to a small percentage.

End of the day Neither Valve nor Namco see anything charged in tax and you'll find that $49.99 is about £30 so as per the norm it's been rounded up the the whole number minus the penny. So when you deduct what would have been paid in tax it's not so great a difference after all.

Grief.exe

Pre-ordered DS2 Steam at GMG! I hope I will have time to play.

And I hope they end up releasing DS1 from GFWL.

All evidence points towards them doing this. Bandai said they were exploring their options, Bandai then announced they will be removing GFWL from Ace Combat in favor of SteamWorks, then Bandai updates the Dark Souls registry app to prepare it for achievements.

jonno394

Hey Guys, Is origin as bad as i';ve heard? I'm looking to buy the Mass Effect trilogy and only 1 and 2 are available on STEAM so Origin might have to be used.

Relax.MX

Hey Guys, Is origin as bad as i';ve heard? I'm looking to buy the Mass Effect trilogy and only 1 and 2 are available on STEAM so Origin might have to be used.

Origin is a fine software, is fully functional but....on the other hand ME3 is crap and dont worth the time.

The main error of Origin is EA...

Dr Dogg

This describes all Tescos in my area. DAMN YOU TESCO OVERLORD.

Morrisons have all the bargain bin titles (and a bajillion copies of Farm Simulator Platinum Edition) but Tesco stepped their game up in the last year. Probably due to 4 branches of Game/Gamestation and all the HMV's and Blockbusters going kaput. On a Dark Souls related note they have the physical Prepare to Die Edition, with the soundtrack, behind the scenes dvd and art book for I think £8. COD Ghosts and BF4 are both £22 where as their digital counterparts are taking the piss at £39.99 and £44.99 respectively.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
I'm looking forward to this one too. I'm really glad there seems to be a rise of local multiplayer games on pc lately.

Niddhog
Samurai Gunn
Starwhal
Battleblock Theater

and then this to name a few. All I need now is a proper bomberman on my steam account and I will be set.

don't forget Speedrunners! that game is overlooked way to often (and so, so awesome) :)

but i agree, it's great to see all this local multiplayer games appear on the PC, i'm not a big fan of online multiplayer (with a few exceptions) but i have almost every weekend friends over to play

can't wait for towerfall!

FloatOn

don't forget Speedrunners! that game is overlooked way to often (and so, so awesome) :)

but i agree, it's great to see all this local multiplayer games appear on the PC, i'm not a big fan fan of online multiplayer (with a few exceptions) but i have almost every weekend friends over to play

Speedrunners is really great. I've only played it one time but I was very impressed.

I'm also looking forward to picking up PAC MAN museum for Battle Royale (which is one of my favorite local mp experiences)

No need to thank me

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Blockland -- MB-758F42EC068DF1F2 - Taken by _hekk05
Pressure -- MB-B9E638BB28D9DDDD - Taken by scorpscarx
AI War Collection -- MB-495F97C2595FA25A - Taken by cardinalmind
Thunder Wolves -- MB-B52E8354C0F36CC6 - Taken by schuey7
Time Gentlemen Please Ben There Done That -- MB-B4E0459941A5C80C - Taken by Divius
Eryi's Action -- MB-43A7ECC37714B71A - Taken by mannerbot

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
The closest one can get to a "good" euroshmup, and the plotline is one massive mind****

It's a European/Japanese co-production, would explain both things you mentioned :p

(I bought it on release day and haven't played for more than 75 minutes :/ )

You know, people might criticize Valve for the way they handle communication - I certainly have before -, but looking at how some major companies and their employees handle it, especially during bad times, I can see why Valve does it the way they do.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
It was an entire vertical line. I had 3. Now I have 1. Oh GabeN please deliver me from suffering

I guess it's time to take to twitter to recount God's fortune and favor shining down upon you then. Make sure to end it with a #blessed.

textonly

Neo Member
'Pure Light' Bundle from LazyGuyStudio is live, 50% Off which is $2 for the first 72 hours
http://www.lazyguysstudio.com/bundle/
  • Off-Road Drive (Steam)
  • CID the Dummy (Steam)
  • Plain Sight (Steam)
  • Infinite Loop (Desura + Greenlight, will get free Steam key when it gets Greenlit)
  • Robot Riot: Hyper Edition (Desura + Greenlight, will get free Steam key when it gets Greenlit)
  • Project APT (Desura)
  • Jimmy vs Zombies (Desura + Greenlight, will get free Steam key when it gets Greenlit)
  • Sym (Desura + Greenlight, will get free Steam key when it gets Greenlit)

Ok what sorcery is this. My HP laptop just repaired a line of dead pixels right in front of my eyes. Only 1 more to go ...

I had something similar happen recently. For months I had this long horizontal line in the top right corner and one day it was gone, just like that.

fantomena

After tons of thoughts, I have come to the conclusion that Im gonna wait nearer the DS2 release sicne there may be some good deals. For example GMG giving a 25% or 30% discount code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom