• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannerbot

I played Dark Souls a lot and I was good at it. I like animation priority and im a big fan of Monster Hunter.

When you mix the fact that I dont particularly like the setting with the other fact that the port is apparently pretty bad again and they did the whole graphics downsize it loses some steam for me as im not a mega fan of the series

i'll play it, I might get it on releaes if the hype gets to me, but im not that crazy about it

I get the appeal and enjoy it and all that, I guess it's just that I kinda already got that itch scratched with other series, I can wait a bit

Durante's really impressed with the port actually. Where'd you get the impression that FROM did a poor PC port for Dark Souls 2?

Salsa

also im not that crazy about watch_dogs either at all, but I can get it pretty cheap I think

Durante's really impressed with the port actually. Where'd you get the impression that FROM did a poor PC port for Dark Souls 2?

oh, that's cool. I havent read that much about it but I know the comparisons between the console versions and the PC were underwhelming. Im looking forward to see what he does with it for sure tho

Nabs

I played Dark Souls a lot and I was good at it. I like animation priority and im a big fan of Monster Hunter.

When you mix the fact that I dont particularly like the setting with the other fact that the port is apparently pretty bad again and they did the whole graphics downsize it loses some steam for me as im not a mega fan of the series

i'll play it, I might get it on releaes if the hype gets to me, but im not that crazy about it

Man, didn't you roll with the Drake Sword and quit after the Gaping Dragon since the game was ezmode or something? I just remember being mad at your Dark Souls impressions.

When you mix the fact that I dont particularly like the setting with the other fact that the port is apparently pretty bad again and they did the whole graphics downgrade it loses some steam for me as im not a mega fan of the series

Actually it looks like they did a great job with the port. It is just that the game people wanted/expected the port from doesn't actually exist.

Salsa

Man, didn't you roll with the Drake Sword and quit after the Gaping Dragon since the game was ezmode or something? I just remember being mad at your Dark Souls impressions.

lol, I was jokingly fishing for reactions. I knew about the drake sword before the game came out on PC so I did do that and breezed through the early parts of the game up until you start to struggle with it. Game isn't easy at all, it's just that the biggest enemy is always yourself and learning to have patience. It's very similar to Monster Hunter.

i'll probably be deader to all of you when I get Watch_Dogs instead of Dark Souls II

YOLO

Wjmk1Ew.gif

Grief.exe

the other fact that the port is apparently pretty bad again

The port is actually looking very good. The lighting downgrade happened, but its gone and we need to deal with that. Durante got a hold of a copy and he is very impressed, but the port quality is not in question at all.

GFWL Dead
60 FPS out of the box
Arbitrary resolution support (4K and beyond)
Native M/KB support including mouse driven menus
Dedicated servers
Steamworks including Steam Achievements and lower prices through competing retailers
Incredibly optimized even for low end platforms. Built for PC from the ground up
Higher resolution textures and a loaded video options menu

iEoZCAaCJvove.gif

Salsa

Also this is kinda general and not necessarely about just Dark Souls but im so done with knights and trolls and dragons. I've been playing in that setting since I bought my first PC, it kinda just drains me at this point

Salsa

The port is actually looking very good. The lighting downgrade happened, but its gone and we need to deal with that.

GFWL Dead
60 FPS out of the box
Dedicated servers
Steamworks including Steam Achievements and lower prices through competing retailers
Incredibly optimized even for low end platforms. Built for PC from the ground up

iEoZCAaCJvove.gif

very cool, I stand corrected

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Alright, DreadOut info (I-am-hyped) post.

1241428620X310.jpg

DreadOut is an Indonesian horror game that went through a successful crowd-funding campaign last year and was greenlit on Steam around the same time. The game takes a lot of inspiration from the Fatal Frame series, starring a girl who comes with a group of friends who takes care of spirits and supernatural beings with a phone camera.

Before I go too deep into this, the game released a demo over a year ago that is about 15-20 minutes long. The game (and demo) can be played on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

DreadOut deals with a group of teens who on their vacation trip end up in an old, deserted town. Linda, our main character who has a sensitivity to the spiritual, senses something within the town, but her friends don't listen to her. And before they know it, they find themselves dealing with the spirits and monsters depicted in Indonesian mythology.

The game deals with the sort of horror stories that come from Indonesia and wears it very proudly. I don't know how many of you know much about horror stories from Indonesia, but it's very promising and something horror games haven't dealt with. They have very rich folk-stories and myths, and there's a few very good foreign horror films that deal with these stories. They have very fascinating monsters and folkstories.

The gameplay is also like an updated Fatal Frame. The game claims you'll be using a variety of different tools in your environment for puzzles and combat. smartphones, microphones, digital cameras, digital video cameras, and more. You're also exploring the odd town, which includes locations ranging from market venues to schools to forests to graveyards, sewers, and other things.

There's also been further updates and demo builds for those who supported the campaign, but development has been coming along nicely. They've been kind of quiet to the public as they've been rapidly designing areas as they hired more staff to get more down.

Here's a couple trailers though:

March 2013 Demo Teaser Trailer
December 2013 Teaser Trailer

I was waiting to post more on the game when new public news was out since the last public update was almost five months ago, but since it seems most don't know what it is even I think I should post about it. If you like horror games, or Fatal Frame, or want a sort of modern old-school styled horror game, I'd keep your eyes on this one.

Nabs

lol, I was jokingly fishing for reactions. I knew about the drake sword before the game came out on PC so I did do that and breezed through the early parts of the game up until you start to struggle with it. Game isn't easy at all, it's just that the biggest enemy is always yourself and learning to have patience. It's very similar to Monster Hunter.

Don't you have a better card/monitor setup now? You should totally give DS another shot at some stupid resolution/60fps. Just sayin'.

If GMG isn't dumb there will be. I'd prefer to buy from them but I'll just go to Nuuvem if they don't offer a discount to everyone before release.

Fingers crossed I suppose, but ending the account bound discount nearly 2 weeks before release doesn't seem to spell good things :/

How are the menus mouse driven though? Giantbomb video showed that they were clearly the same as the console versions with arrow keys added. You couldn't drag anything, had to click through boxes(which would drag the cursor down) and so on.

Salsa

Don't you have a better card/monitor setup now? You should totally give DS another shot at some stupid resolution/60fps. Just sayin'.

Oh I still played it pretty okay. It just kinda pissed me off from the get go and there were some annoying things that not even him could fix.

Coming back to it is not off the table at all, i'll most likely do it. I probably don't have that much left to go either

Tenrius

When you mix the fact that I dont particularly like the setting with the other fact that the port is apparently pretty bad again and they did the whole graphics downgrade it loses some steam for me as im not a mega fan of the series

I get the appeal and enjoy it and all that, I guess it's just that I kinda already got that itch scratched with other series, I can wait a bit

The lighting thing is overbloated in my opinion. As I figured myself and as some people (who played the network test) pointed out in the relevant threads, it's really not nice having to carry a torch all the time. Sort of messes up your game. The torch mechanic is annoying even in the final version, while being largely unnecessary.

The thing is, you can only light the torch at a bonfire or a sconce (there also are some items you can use for that, but they are limited) and if you swap with a shield or wield something with two hands, it goes out. It would be dark pretty much all the time with that glorious dynamic lightning system everybody's so sad to see gone, so using a shield would not be an option (unless you want to be left in complete darkness), as well as two-handing or dual-wielding (it's a new mechanic in DSII). And please don't start with "but it makes the brutal game even more brutal". First of all, it's not brutal, it's just well-designed. The torch mechanic was and still is half-baked and making it so prominent was an all around bad gameplay decision that only looked cool in the trailers. Everybody's better off without it.

Anyway, I've played plenty of DSII and I'm enjoying it more than Demon's or Dark Souls one. Hopefully that's something.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I actually played about 20 hours of ACIV already. First I was having plenty of fun, but then I came to a point where I've done everything the game had to offer at least once. I looked at a map that had three times more forts that I already captured (and I thought I captured plenty), among with other things to do, realized that I was less than halfway through the story and decided that it was enough. Most of the things work pretty decently in that game and I'm a huge fan of all things pirate, but that Ubisoft design philosophy of bloating games with content didn't really do it much good. Besides, I was getting some rather unstable performance on my laptop.

Had a pretty similar experience with ACII and I still have nightmares about forcing myself through ACI, so I really should know better.

IV's definitely longer than the others, for me at least. I don't remember much of I other than the main plot, let alone how long it took me to beat. I remember spending about 24-ish hours in II with my cousin completing all of it over the course of one of my spring breaks a few years ago. I think Brotherhood was around 17 hours, Reverations around 13 since I was tired of the formula by then. III took me around thirty hours because it was finally my own copy and I wasn't mooching off of other people.

IV took me about 60+ hours.

My advice: don't get the orbs of adventure, or whatever they're called. Easily saves a bit of time. Maybe skip the shanties. The messages in bottles at least have some relevance to the plot, and try to make it meaningful to collect them all by presenting a side story. The diving stuff is interesting, so try to do that. The forts are easy enough once you've upgraded your ship.

I remember seeing a gameplay video about this from TBFP. It looked really neat, especially the enemy designs.

All areas weren't completely dark before, they just removed 95% of any type of dynamic lighting which is why so many areas look completely flat compared to previous games. Especially given previous games had baked in lighting where much of Dark Souls 2 doesn't have any because it was supposed to be something much more involved. When you take into account how stunning some areas look it was clearly a very hasty decision.

And the torch items aren't rare, I had 35 by game's end and I used quite a few as well.

Shaun and Rebecca are still alive in 3 though. Yay, I guess?

fucking Shaun

guess I can afford one near $15 release thanks to palyfire + pp leftovers

torn between child of light and trials fusion

#loveuplay

Child of Li...

i'll probably be deader to all of you when I get Watch_Dogs instead of Dark Souls II

YOLO

...ohhellno

20 hours in and I just got the drake sword. Moreso out of curiosity. It's slightly less strong than my current weapon and i'm 20 hours in.

I can see how this could ezmode things.

mannerbot

Anyway, I've played plenty of DSII and I'm enjoying it more than Demon's or Dark Souls one. Hopefully that's something.

That's encouraging. Seems like most people think it's weaker than the other games in the series, so my hype levels have dipped to a manageable level, lol.

Dusk Golem

Is it normal for RE: Revelations FPS drop to 1-2 for a few second when loading a new area through an elevator or similar?

I've had a drop sometimes when it's loading stuff in things like elevator sequences, but not to 1-2 frames or anything like that, and it usually happened only 1-2 seconds for me.

FloatOn

Speaking of dark souls 2 I'm back to hating it again.

Going "lol let me do another boss fight late in the game by reusing an early one but make it so much more captivating by giving you 2 of them to fight at once" is bullshit.

gabbo

I thought I might have been alone on GAF with hype for this game, and hadn't heard a damn thing about it since it's indiegogo campaign ended months ago.
Glad it's still coming along. Hope to hear/see more in the near future.

styl3s

Is there anywhere that has Dark Souls 1 for cheap? or a place where i can trade like 2-3 keys for one? Haven't played DS and bought DS2 off GMG. Figured i should at least try to beat the first before the 2nd comes out but everywhere wants like $20.

mannerbot

Is there anywhere that has Dark Souls 1 for cheap? or a place where i can trade like 2-3 keys for one? Haven't played DS and bought DS2 off GMG. Figured i should at least try to beat the first before the 2nd comes out but everywhere wants like $20.

There was a GMG sale a few weeks ago, think it was $8 with a 20% off voucher. I'd expect a Dark Souls sale in the next week or so to promote the sequel, but otherwise check with traders.

Dusk Golem

I thought I might have been alone on GAF with hype for this game, and hadn't heard a damn thing about it since it's indiegogo campaign ended months ago.

I'd have to dig through my email as most of the updates on my end have come through email, but they had some screenshots they've been releasing of what they've been working on. They got some more enemies in, they finished the school location, were working on the sewers and some surreal dream sequence last I heard.

But they have been silent for the most part, especially publicly. My guess is that they're trying to get a lot done before they show the game next next time. But I am assuming DreadOut may be the closest we'll get to Fatal Frame on Steam.

The port is actually looking very good. The lighting downgrade happened, but its gone and we need to deal with that. Durante got a hold of a copy and he is very impressed, but the port quality is not in question at all.

GFWL Dead
60 FPS out of the box
Dedicated servers
Whoa there, Captain Optimist... :p

I don't see how Dark Souls II can get credit for killing GFWL -- or even for not using it at this point. And as far as Steamworks goes, what else were they going to use now that GFWL is pretty much gone?
Higher resolution support is only meaningful to the handful of people gaming on 4K displays. Compared to the majority of gamers who probably don't have a 4K display, it's kind of a moot point.
I'm not sure who in their right mind would want to play a Souls game with M/KB -- it'd be like trying to play an RTS on a gamepad.
So incredibly optimized that they had to drop the lighting engine. ;)
And based on that one shot you posted (looking at the textures on the character's hair specifically), higher could mean very little. Technically 1.1 is higher than 1. :lol

---

This is finally done:

Time to delete Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate HD. Very glad I got this for $12 or so on Steam as I'd have been pissed if I'd bothered to buy it for my Vita.

Friendly tip for anyone playing the game and going for all the achievements/trophies -- fight
Joker
last on your first playthrough -- this should give you the bat suit which not only makes you take 0 damage but gives you +50% attack damage. You can find the pieces for a suit that also gives you invicible (it's what I used when speedrunning the remaining achievements), but that +50% attack would be so helpful dealing with all the enemies on your subsequent playthroughs.

Haven't you read Durante's posts? He can't say more yet but reading between the lines...

He's even writing an article for I think PC Gamer about the port.

I've only read the one post Grief quoted in here -- but I'm not quite sure how reading between the lines of Durante wishing he could "say more" or whatever now that he has a copy of the PC version early changes any of the footage or screenshots that have come out this week.

He was comparing the quality of the ports. All of his points are completely valid.

Sure, they fixed a few of the things that the last port got wrong (GFWL, resolution options), but the rest of the points such as "60fps out of the box" have no place in a comparison as the original Dark Souls wasn't designed to run at 60fps. The port of the original fixed and stabilized the framerate from the console version, which the port of the new game does as well (to the tune of running at 60fps constantly).

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

I was actually going to chip in but I didn't have money for the duration for the whole thing sadly.

Salsa

so you guys not getting Trials at all or what?

apparently its a good (or better rather.. didnt really have issues with Evolution but I know a lot of people did) port now

so you guys not getting Trials at all or what?

apparently its a good (or better rather.. didnt really have issues with Evolution but I know a lot of people did) port now
Yep.
I'm pre-ordering the PC version next time I get paid, can't wait to play it, I really enjoyed evolution and can't wait to play more.

You are trying to argue with people who have made hundreds of posts about the game and have followed it in detail, every second of every day, for the past few months.

I'd just nod and go with their opinions.

You mean the same Grief who spent his time writing up a post about how there was hope that the PC version could still be like the TGS demo footage based on some screenshots and stuff?

And there's no "arguing" here. I'm merely pointing out contrasting viewpoints to Grief's overly positive ones.

gabbo

I'd have to dig through my email as most of the updates on my end have come through email, but they had some screenshots they've been releasing of what they've been working on. They got some more enemies in, they finished the school location, were working on the sewers and some surreal dream sequence last I heard.

But they have been silent for the most part, especially publicly. My guess is that they're trying to get a lot done before they show the game next next time. But I am assuming DreadOut may be the closest we'll get to Fatal Frame on Steam.

Well thank you for passing that info along. I've never played Fatal Frame, I just liked the concept/demo enough to get hyped.

I was actually going to chip in but I didn't have money for the duration for the whole thing sadly.

That's the same situation I was in at the time.

derExperte

I've only read the one post Grief quoted in here -- but I'm not quite sure how reading between the lines of Durante wishing he could "say more" or whatever now that he has a copy of the PC version early changes any of the footage or screenshots that have come out this week.

So you're one of those that don't care about the actual quality of the port, which by all accounts is very good, but only about the game not looking like in the old screens/videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom