• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I'm about 90% sure that I will ignore those thousands games I have, including those I'm yet to finish or want to play and will play this new one no matter what.
Like Stardew Valley case, for example.

that's an odd conclusion
If I was not to buy a game ever again, I would just say so, wouldn't I?

no game is as necessity is what they're getting at, a notion I can get behind as well.

Mivey

That's weird.

I literally called this.
http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=199267950&postcount=14028
Mivey aka Nostradamus said:
Let's go of the speculative deep end: I say this time they literally wanted to spend 0$ on the actual PC port, so instead of porting it, they are trying to package the game with Bluestacks and put the whole thing into a giant DRM'd executable that first boots up the Android emulator/virtualiser and then starts the Android game of there. And the thing is currently so unstable and broken that even Square Enix can't release it, so they still ended up hiring some poor sods who now have a few weeks "fixing" it.
Never change, Square, never change.

r3n4ud

Bundle stuff
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

The Deletiton -- MB-FFF0BDA0DD9DA2A5 - Taken by Eila
Lord of the Dark Castle -- MB-383169B173A228CB - Taken by bloke
Tiki Man -- MB-1FCF329D435D8B35 - Taken by ussjtrunks
Forbidden Planet -- MB-66E39B2C0215A33F - Taken by Saty
Pixel Galaxy -- MB-09BDE041DB5EC1D0 - Taken by rainking187

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I literally called this.
http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=199267950&postcount=14028
Never change, Square, never change.
Let's go of the speculative deep end: I say this time they literally wanted to spend 0$ on the actual PC port, so instead of porting it, they are trying to package the game with Bluestacks and put the whole thing into a giant DRM'd executable that first boots up the Android emulator/virtualiser and then starts the Android game of there. And the thing is currently so unstable and broken that even Square Enix can't release it, so they still ended up hiring some poor sods who now have a few weeks "fixing" it.
image.php

Incredible. You were painfully on point! They are putting an Android emulator with the Android game in it? This is bizarre but likely cheap. What a time.

Ludens

Banned
Well I think that officially confirms that it will be a straight up Android port. Which is sad, because I was hoping that they were taking the extra time to actually put some effort into this.

WTF.
I mean, WTF.
I have no words.
WTF.
I was waiting for this and it will be probably an overpriced piece of garbage even worse than Dotemu ports.
Do you know what's even worse? The fact FFVII and FFVIII on PC basically run like an emulator for PSX, at least this was the thing with the original versions, which were the PS1 games with an exe basically. Instead of doing that and polishing things in and there, they fucked up including an Android Emulator. It will probably run like garbage, but that's ok for SE.
At this point I expect a PS4 Emulator for FFXV, this would explain the "tech showcase" too, since you will need 8 980TI in Sli to properly run that.

If your going to cheap out and just bundle an emulator wouldn't it have been better to use a PS1 emu. FFIX is going to be a mess, android emulation still has a long way to go.

Eh, exaclty what I wrote, considering FFVII and VIII are pretty good on PC, considering their age etc.

Let's look at this positively. This could open the floodgates for other mobile devs to take note and port their games to PC. I don't play on mobile but I'm sure there are good games I'd enjoy on PC.

gelf

If your going to cheap out and just bundle an emulator wouldn't it have been better to use a PS1 emu. FFIX is going to be a mess, android emulation still has a long way to go.

Arthea

Let's look at this positively. This could open the floodgates for other mobile devs to take note and port their games to PC. I don't play on mobile but I'm sure there are good games I'd enjoy on PC.

The Room games or bust.
IDK, I prefer even mobile ports to be adapted for PC and worked on somewhat, not what SE is trying to do, certainly.

MUnited83

For you.
I dont get it

The mobile version was made in Unity. A native port shouldnt be hard at all especially from a AAA pub. Why the hell would they package a Android emulator. It makes no sense at all.

The Room games or bust.
IDK, I prefer even mobile ports to be adapted for PC and worked on somewhat, not what SE is trying to do, certainly.
Oh yeah, I agree with that but there might be devs who bring either straight emu-ports like this or nothing at all. I'd rather have the option to play a weird bizarre android emu-port which performs well (!) than not at all. (I don't use blustacks, so I don't know how good port/emulation is)

Grief.exe

Yakuza series and Metal Gear Legacy Collection seeing the companies' recent attitude maybe?
Hopefully

Yakuza is likely, unless Sony is funding translation. A PC/PS4/XBO port of the Legacy Collection would fit Konami's current low-risk strategy.

Star Ocean V

I wish

also KH3 is rather unlikely, what makes you think we are getting it?

I don't see a reason Square wouldn't port the game.

World of Final Fantasy
FF7: Remake.

FF7R is essentially confirmed with the 'first on PlayStation.'

So who wants to guess the peak concurrent number for Dark Souls 3 just after release? I'm going to guess 100k (although I have no idea if this is super optimistic or what).

Dark Souls II peaked at around 90k concurrent at launch and that was a month after the console release.

Ludens

Banned
I dont get it

The mobile version was made in Unity. A native port shouldnt be hard at all especially from a AAA pub. Why the hell would they package a Android emulator. It makes no sense at all.

The only reason I can find right now is SE created a tool in which they literally push a button to make a PC port. And maybe they want to port all Dragon's Quest games, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana and whatever on PC and with this tool they will spend exaclty 0 on doing so.
They already showed us they don't give a fuck about releasing a proper port, with FF3 to VI and XIII+XIII/2, so...

Ludens

Banned
Sorry the stupid question, but in this clusterfuck they gave a release date finally? Or SE is too busy on wrapping up several layer of DRMs for FFIX?
EDIT: Some people are reporting 14th April as release date from the japanase EULA.

Mivey

I dont get it

This is a Unity game? This can't be right, I refuse to believe they are emulating it instead of pushing "Build for PC" or something.

Roarer

Just got my key for Dark Souls III and it is now pre-loading. Now to contemplate wether I should take a long nap and prepare myself for an all nighter (Sweden here) or do the responsible adult thing and start playing tomorrow...

Parsnip

I think it has to be a misunderstanding.

Edit: GaussTek said it better than I could have.

It says the installer includes the "third party plugins", not that you have to download them separately in order to run it. Are we sure that the other FF Android ports on PC don't say the same too?

Anyway, expected better yeah, but it doesn't bother me too much personally, as -like I said- most of the other Steam FF games are ports from Android. Just hope it runs ok and that SE releases it already so people can try it out.

XShagrath

duplicate

ModBot said:
Instructions for XShagrath:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (XShagrath, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Endorlight -- MB-4C7A33478D7E3746 - Taken by ussjtrunks

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I think it has to be a misunderstanding.

Edit: GaussTek said it better than I could have.

It's true that perhaps we're jumping to conclusions - maybe the game uses some kind of Android SDK resource like a font scaler or something inconsequential. We won't know for certain until it's actually released though.

It's true that perhaps we're jumping to conclusions - maybe the game uses some kind of Android SDK resource like a font scaler or something inconsequential. We won't know for certain until it's actually released though.
Yeah, this all needs a bit more time.
It says the installer includes the "third party plugins", not that you have to download them separately in order to run it. [...]

Calm down guys! That page simply lists all licenses used for everything they used to create the Unity port of FF9. You can see this because they even included the license for AutoBuilder, which will certainly NOT be included in any build of FF9 (it is a script for the Unity Editor which means it isn't packaged with the game when built).

So yes, of course they used the Android SDK to create the Android port. Of course they used Google Play stuff. I'm also pretty sure references to these plugins would remain in the build even if these plugins aren't used on PC, forcing them to include them on the list anyway (even if they didn't just create one list with all licenses for all versions).

Just got my key for Dark Souls III and it is now pre-loading. Now to contemplate wether I should take a long nap and prepare myself for an all nighter (Sweden here) or do the responsible adult thing and start playing tomorrow...

Red Pandas never do the responsible adult thing

Mivey

Seeing how it is a Unity game, I am also thinking that this is just some licensing stuff, as the news itself is based on that. No one could be this retarded.
But how sad is it, that people, just by experience, would have a rather good reason to believe they were going to put it in an emulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom