• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The scroll in the upper corner, and the empty square across from it on the other side of the screen, looks exactly the same, so it definitely is.

I was always sure, I just pretended that wasn't it so that you guys could feel good about taking part of the detective work. Group hug.

Tellaerin

It's an interesting paradox because declining is a dick move, but to many, to gift Bad Rats is a dick move itself.

Outside of SteamGAF, I doubt anybody cares whether or not a person owns Bad Rats. It's not some shameful thing that's going to affect anyone's opinion. Gifting it out is just one of those silly, fun things we do around here. Kind of like survival mode - how long can you go before you get tagged with the Rats? (I had a pretty good run before Jawmuncher finally zapped me.)

That's why I shake my head whenever I see somebody say they're refusing it. A poster here just gave you an amusingly bad game (with cards, no less) as a gag gift. They're not asking you to eat a cake frosted with the ebola virus or something. If you get tagged like that, you ought to be a good sport and accept. Then you can laugh about it afterwards with the rest of us like the joke it is. : )

Mountain is even better on a big screen.
A bit late, was eating and catching up with rl news, but do you have any means to record/screencap? I am intrigued by the Mountain. It'd be nice to see someone playing it, no trailers or such.
Some impressions for Jack Orlando: Director's Cut[...]
You know, in end 90s there was a bundle of pc games in a German supermarket chain. It was a yellow big, square box. Jack Orlando was also there. I really loved the music and the visuals but the gameplay was not good. Often mouse clicks didn't trigger actions. Only after several clicks. Stopped a couple hours in when I realized it was not fun anymore. Shame I gave the box my younger cousin as a gift. Would have been a nice memorabilia.
Holy shit.
Betrayer
Consortium
Kill the bad guy
Little Big Adventure 2?
Less than 24 hours to go.
Oh snap! Consortium, Betrayer and Kill the Bad Guy are all on my wishlist! Groupees seriously has a lot quality bundles. Oh man, reminds me again of how I missed Miasmata and Longest Journey bundle there :( I was not frequenting Steam thread back then and didn't even know of bundle sites. Really sad I missed it.
So IRL stuff for a minute GAF.[...]
Hope it'll turn all well and you'll move without any headaches.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor [...]
Oh wow, pray I get this. Would love to thank anon. Really a great game.

Jawmuncher

Outside of SteamGAF, I doubt anybody cares whether or not a person owns Bad Rats. It's not some shameful thing that's going to affect anyone's opinion. Gifting it out is just one of those silly, fun things we do around here. Kind of like survival mode - how long can you go before you get tagged with the Rats? (I had a pretty good run before Jawmuncher finally zapped me.)

That's why I shake my head whenever I see somebody say they're refusing it. A poster here just gave you an amusingly bad game (with cards, no less) as a gag gift. They're not asking you to eat a cake frosted with the ebola virus or something. If you get tagged like that, you ought to be a good sport and accept. Then you can laugh about it afterwards with the rest of us like the joke it is. : )

That's the way I see it as well.
It's not like someone is going to see your library some day and go "oh he owns bad rats" what a terrible person.

I think you might have managed staying rats free due to your steam username.

Mokoi

Banned
If I was gifted Bad Rats I would decline it to. Guess I'm a dick! Also sorry person who I gifted that game to. You made the smart move declining it.

So HP_Wuvcraft learned how to stream a day ago and now has 128 people watching. He's currently playing the PoE beta. http://www.twitch.tv/aspie_lad

Woah this is a X-rated channel. Be careful people some stuff may go down. Also thanks for the heads up. I try to watch other members streams if I have the time.

You know what would be great? If Consortium could be played in co-op and all crew would consist of real human players.
Imagine the fun, screaming at the engineering team to keep the core in tact, while sirens scream. The captain yelling through his headset at the weapons officers to keep hostiles at bay. Another friend maneuvering the ship through the space battlefield, all while another buddy periodically reports hull shield status. Finally after beating your adversaries the whole crew assembles in the cantina for celebrations.
Damn, I always wanted a game like that.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Whispering Willows must not have sold as much as the devs expected it to, this is the second bundle it's been in since it released back in July.

I was always sure, I just pretended that wasn't it so that you guys could feel good about taking part of the detective work. Group hug.

ohyou.jpg :p

I'd say Tao (was that his name?) and his parrot is more of a giveaway

I've never actually seen the show, so I'm not really familiar with the series outside of having seen the game on Gaf and in both the eShop and Steam store before :p

I was interested in it though, so I'll pick it up along with at least Betrayer and Little Big Adventure 2 (if it's actually 2 and not 1 again).

Tellaerin

If I was gifted Bad Rats I would decline it to. Guess I'm a dick! Also sorry person who I gifted that game to. You made the smart move declining it.

Hey, I didn't say you're a dick. :p I don't understand why it's such a big deal, though. I mean, if you're like most people here, you've probably got hundreds of games in your library already, and there are probably at least a few clunkers in the bunch. What makes Bad Rats so bad that you wouldn't be caught dead owning it? Humor me here, I'm trying to understand this.

Holy shit.
Betrayer
Consortium
Kill the bad guy
Little Big Adventure 2?

Less than 24 hours to go.

Unless both Betrayer and Consistorium are BTA, insta-bought!

-----

I've really enjoyed the Rhythm Flash bundle. Bought it for a dollar and I've already beaten both ESJ:GC and 140 (although I still need to finish the
mirror mode
). I also finished Bionic Heart today, I'm on fire!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
You know what would be great? If Consortium could be played in co-op and all crew would consist of real human players.
Imagine the fun, screaming at the engineering team to keep the core in tact, while sirens scream. The captain yelling through his headset at the weapons officers to keep hostiles at bay. Another friend maneuvering the ship through the space battlefield, all while another buddy periodically reports hull shield status. Finally after beating your adversaries the whole crew assembles in the cantina for celebrations.
Damn, I always wanted a game like that.

You're looking for this game. I hope you have a lot of nerdy friends.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
IiQn4cO.jpg

Another baby review dump from Stallion Free's recent completions that hit Steam this year:

I grabbed this game on the summer sale partially to pass the Capcom test that Microsoft is forcing us through to "earn" the Halo collection and partially out of curiosity as to why they chose this as their premiere non-AAA title pre-Xbone launch. It was a disappointment on both levels. The game is a follow up to Max and the Magic Marker, a decent enough indie game from a time when the market wasn't quite so saturated. In the original the game the titular marker functioned exactly as you would expect a marker to function: you drew on the screen to create new objects and pathways through the level. In the sequel, they dumbed it down quite a bit. You can now only draw in predefined locations and these predefined locations automatically select how the marker will function. This change was probably brought upon the series by the shift in focus to a controller rather than a mouse and keyboard and while I understand that necessity it does make for a bit of a thoughtless and uncreative puzzle solving experience. To compensate for this, the developers decided to add a surprising amount of "combat" to the game in the form of irritating enemies who can all one-shot you and sometimes demand frustratingly fast response and accurate drawing. I hated these enemy encounters. They weren't a fun way to increase gameplay variety at all. Making things even worse were the really uninteresting visuals and character designs that weren't anywhere near as cute or charming as they needed to be for the tone of the story. Texture resolution was just sad and the backgrounds usually felt like they had little effort put into them. Compared with a game like Trine 2, it looks a generation behind. For a sidescrolling game, I expect more.

Verdict: Don't bother at any price. The puzzle design isn't clever, the combat and platforming are irritating, and the graphics are disappointing.

Year Walk managed to hit Steam before I bought it for my iPad so it was immediately added to my summer sale pickups for all them achievements. The art style was what drew me to the game initially and it really delivered on that level. Every screen looked gorgeous and was seeping with a thick, creepy atmosphere. It helps that they picked great source material too. Swedish folklore has tons of disturbing imagery apparently. Puzzle-wise, I wasn't a huge fan, but I also didn't find anything particularly offensive from a design standpoint. The devs want you to be sifting through these layers and soaking in the atmosphere and a lot of the puzzles are designed around that. They do a good job of pushing you through all the folklore concepts the devs decided to flesh out too. The story is a bit trippy, but it's suppose to be and when it finally wrapped up I was really happy the journey I had taken.

Verdict: It's cheap and if you dig rich atmosphere I totally think you should check it out. Even if you don't care for the puzzles, the story is interesting enough to still make the journey worthwhile.

I loved my time with Bastion, but I let this game sit unplayed in the Family Sharing pool for a couple months before digging in. And I regret that. It has that same dreamy, abstract style of storytelling and visual design that Bastion does and the two games feel really unique in that. It's really fun slowly unraveling what happened in the city that lead to the opening of the game. There is a ton of flavor narration that builds the atmosphere in the environments really well and made me want to explore every nook and cranny. The combat system has this weird meshing of almost turn-based and real-time movement and attacks. The implementation isn't quite perfect and the lack of commitment to one style or the other makes it feel as if they weren't quite happy how either way felt. I'm not sure if I wanted them to really commit to one combat system or if I just wanted the two to coalesce in more natural way.The attack system more than makes up for it though. You get all these different skills and they can be used in three different ways: attack, upgrade to another attack, or passively. The setup works really well and it's fun exploring the different combinations in search of ones that fit well with your playstyle (and also do a shitload of DPS). I never really stuck to one set up for very long since the game introduces new skills at a pretty consistent pace. I definitely hope to see them continue down this path over the more straight-forward Bastion weapon setup.

Verdict: It's hard to recommend this at 20$ because I played a friend's copy for free, but they pack in a lot of quality to the ~5 hour experience and they do a good job incentivizing replays. I'm definitely picking it up for my own collection down the line.

I feel really bad for anyone who actually paid 20$ for this. I mean this is exactly the type of mobile gaming debris that we don't need or want ported over to more platforms. This is the gameplay in the product in full: run around and press a button to pick flowers or kick jars, chase baby's first pathfinding AI experiment and QTE pick flowers off their back. Who writes up a game design document like that and says, "wow this will be fun" or "people will definitely feel rewarded for the time they spend with this!" It doesn't look cool either (rough animation) and it certainly never feels like a rewarding activity. It's mindnumbing to a whole new degree and I say that as someone who eats up Ubisoft collectathons. They do make pretty good use of Unreal Engine 3 to bring their vision of this sad collectathon world to life, though they did go completely overboard with the chromatic aberration. The only other positive is that it is incredibly short. I embraced the collectathon and it still only took maybe 3 hours to do everything except the grinding achievements.

Verdict: I don't think this is even worth the 1.50$ I paid for it. It's a soulless experience. Don't let people lure you into it with the pretty screenshots.

Classic Stallion Free indie bait right here. Gorgeous visuals? Check. First person walking simulator? Check. Possibly trippy puzzle elements? Check. I fell for this game based of the trailer alone. That's how tailor-made this kind of game is for someone like me. Sadly this one goes off the rails a bit and left me sour in the end. Let's go over the good stuff first: the developer nailed his visual design almost perfectly. The dream-like environments look stunning and feel truly creative from the visual standpoint as far as gaming environments go. The gameplay based visual design builds a really good atmosphere too with smart use of rain, fog, and night time. This makes for some pretty interesting puzzles as you switch and combine those different states to reach the door into the next level. A lot of the early puzzles have obvious solutions that take longer to implement than to actually figure out, but there were a couple that had me stumped for a bit towards the end and they did feel great to solve. Unfortunately that isn't all the game consists of though. The developer just had to step beyond his abilities and write a story to go along with this experience. This leads to some of the most painful narration I have listened to in a long time made even more painful by the horrendous voice actor. Of course at this point you would go mute the dialogue and call it a day, but there is only universal volume control meaning you must also surrender all of the atmospheric sound effects and solid score to be free of this aural pain. The icing on the cake is a truly awful boss battle.... where the narrator becomes even more relentless. These two factors actually left me feeling bitter about the experience as a whole as I finished the game.

Verdict: Despite the sublime visuals and decent puzzle efforts, this game gets downgraded to the sub 5$ range for unavoidable atrocious narration and the inclusion of a "boss."

I've never watched more than a couple of the more infamous scenes from South Park before, so my interest in this game was largely due to Obsidian's involvement. That said, I enjoyed my time with the game so much that I will probably start watching the show at some point and the sole reason I'm including this game in the review dump is because I want people to still give the game a chance without feeling pressure to have watched the show first. It's that good. The writing is sharp and wonderfully irreverent, the depiction of the different social groups is very on point (though obviously exaggerated to a South Park degree), and it made me laugh more often than any game I can think of in recent memory (though that might just be proof that comedy is a lacking genre in gaming). The gameplay is very straight-forward for an RPG, but there is an attention to detail that is hard not to appreciate. I enjoyed the battle system and the leveling up enough that I didn't ever try to avoid battles, but Obsidian also wisely kept the random overworld encounters reigned in to the point of inoffensiveness. The visuals are great too. They do a great job bring a cartoon world to life in videogame form and there is a certain art to the lazy/garish look that the show and game share.

Verdict: Don't skip this one. It's clearly a labor of love from the show runners and Obsidian helped them bring it to life perfectly. The game is the perfect length too. Even if you haven't seen the show you should still give it a shot.

You know, in end 90s there was a bundle of pc games in a German supermarket chain. It was a yellow big, square box. Jack Orlando was also there. I really loved the music and the visuals but the gameplay was not good. Often mouse clicks didn't trigger actions. Only after several clicks. Stopped a couple hours in when I realized it was not fun anymore. Shame I gave the box my younger cousin as a gift. Would have been a nice memorabilia.

Always good to see people confirming what I saw in a game. Helps me to realize that I'm not being too harsh in my impressions.

MattyG

Banned
I just did my first key trade. 2 TF2 keys and 1 ToD ticket for Insurgency. It ended up costing me around $5.80 ish, and it was so easy. This seems like the best way to buy games now. And thanks to the Gaffer I traded with, you were a pleasure to do business with! :p

Beelzebubs

I just did my first key trade. 2 TF2 keys and 1 ToD ticket for Insurgency. It ended up costing me around $5.80 ish, and it was so easy. This seems like the best way to buy games now. And thanks to the Gaffer I traded with, you were a pleasure to do business with! :p

Glad you finally got it sorted.

So has anyone figured out a reliable way to get a controller other than the 360 controller to work over Steam Streaming? I bought a nice Mad Catz Bluetooth controller for my Windows tablet hoping it would be emulation friendly, but I can't for the life of me get it to work reliably. I've even tried using Pinnacle, but no dice.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
So has anyone figured out a reliable way to get a controller other than the 360 controller to work over Steam Streaming? I bought a nice Mad Catz Bluetooth controller for my Windows tablet hoping it would be emulation friendly, but I can't for the life of me get it to work reliably. I've even tried using Pinnacle, but no dice.

You can use a PS3/PS4 (Including Bluetooth, and touchpad for PS4, support) piggybacking on X360 drivers.

Link.

Nabs

Stallion just went hard in the paint. Good shit.

The Ultra SFIV netcode beta patch goes live on the 20th: http://steamcommunity.com/app/45760/discussions/0/34095132036794272/

Announcement: Opt-in beta patch on August 20th

Hello Street Fighter fans,

The Street Fighter team has heard the community feedback and is aware that players are reporting issues with the quality of the online experience in Ultra Street Fighter IV for PC. We are working hard to ensure that players have the best online experience possible and we’ve made several targeted fixes to address these issues.

We are happy to confirm that an open beta program will begin on Wednesday, August 20 and we’d like to request your support and participation in testing the online experience yourselves.

Due to the complex nature of network testing, it’s often quite difficult to catch these issues until the game has been released to a very large network environment. Similarly, we feel that our best chance to accurately determine the cause and quickly provide a fix is to use large scale beta testing that will provide us with accurate “real-world” results.

We greatly appreciate your participation in this beta test and thank you for your understanding in how difficult it is to replicate this type of test environment.

Thank you,

== The Street Fighter Team ==

P.S. I'll post detailed instructions on the opt-in process this Wednesday when the beta branch goes live. Please stay tuned!

-wbacon

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, it's not like your other games suddenly become unplayable or anything. Plus, you can now hide it and forget you even own it!

If someone gifts you the rats, you should accept it with your head held high. Keep your dignity, and take the game someone else paid (probably cards) money to buy :p

JakeD

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (JakeD, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

w5Bqht8.png

runner 2 -- MB-56B4CACF40675FEA - Taken by TheMadMan007
electronic super joy -- MB-539E3823DED91E72 - Taken by salazar547

humble links

Jawmuncher

Yeah, it's not like your other games suddenly become unplayable or anything. Plus, you can now hide it and forget you even own it!

If someone gifts you the rats, you should accept it with your head held high. Keep your dignity, and take the game someone else paid (probably cards) money to buy :p

But you said you'd never accept bad rats.
You dont even HAVE bad rats.

You're looking for this game. I hope you have a lot of nerdy friends.
Ha, I gifted this to a friend and forgot I have it on my wishlist. Really nice concept, but what can I say? There's a German saying that goes Das Auge isst mit. which translates to the eye eats as well, meaning that even if the system is very well, I would appreciate the game to be in first-person with free movement in the ship at Consortium-level graphics.
I am weak and don't think I'd handle Artemis' style. Wish I would be like me as a kid again who didn't give two cents about visuals. :(

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I just finished The Room on my iPad. I can't review the Steam version obviously, just the iPad version, but as far as I know the content is the same so you should be safe. The Room is a room escape game, and the premise is that basically you're in a room with a very elaborate box. You can rotate around the box and zoom in on different parts to try to figure out the mechanisms that unlock the box. Sometimes it's just a matter of hunting and finding the right thing, figuring out which keyhole a key you got fits in, etc, but other times there are actual little mini-puzzles. Nothing is too taxing as a puzzle, since most of them are pretty atomic. I wouldn't call it hard, especially not with a very well-executed hint system which starts by giving you very general hints and progressively more detailed hints as you get more lost. There was only one part where I genuinely had no idea what to do next, and when I realized thanks to the hint system what it was, it was a DUH moment. There's a very light plot and the game itself unfolds over 6 chapters taking about 2.5-3 hours or so total. It looks good in a limited way (I mean, you're basically looking at a wooden box inside an empty room, so how beautiful is it going to be?) There's no replayability so budget yourself appropriately given the limited playtime, but besides that I'd recommend it. It's interesting, it occupies the time nicely. Personally I don't regret the $2 or whatever I paid for it on the iPad.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Agreed on MIND, narration utterly destroys the atmosphere and the preachy final boss drove me up a wall. I totally get what he was going for there, but the way it turned out really clashed with the entire rest of the game. Same with Year Walk - though I much preferred the second runthrough/alternate "ending" path if only for the additions the well written journal entries added.

Thanks for taking the time to dish out some thoughts.

r3n4ud

Welcome to the dark side!

jblank83

Wii U Pro via Mayflash or PS4 controller both work fine. Can't vouch for any 3rd party controllers.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Ha, I gifted this to a friend and forgot I have it on my wishlist. Really nice concept, but what can I say? There's a German saying that goes Das Auge isst mit. which translates to the eye eats as well, meaning that even if the system is very well, I would appreciate the game to be in first-person with free movement in the ship at Consortium-level graphics.
I am weak and don't think I'd handle Artemis' style. Wish I would be like me as a kid again who didn't give two cents about visuals. :(

The game looks like it would be a blast at a Star Trek convention
or even if I had 5 real life friends who would be interested

The Youtube videos where they have the whole "bridge" setup make it look pretty fun. It's like computer-assisted Star Trek LARPing.

https://i.imgur.com/IiQn4cO.jpg

Another baby review dump from Stallion Free's recent completions that hit Steam this year:

Link : Image

Classic Stallion Free indie bait right here. Gorgeous visuals? Check. First person walking simulator? Check. Possibly trippy puzzle elements? Check. I fell for this game based of the trailer alone. That's how tailor-made this kind of game is for someone like me. Sadly this one goes off the rails a bit and left me sour in the end. Let's go over the good stuff first: the developer nailed his visual design almost perfectly. The dream-like environments look stunning and feel truly creative from the visual standpoint as far as gaming environments go. The gameplay based visual design builds a really good atmosphere too with smart use of rain, fog, and night time. This makes for some pretty interesting puzzles as you switch and combine those different states to reach the door into the next level. A lot of the early puzzles have obvious solutions that take longer to implement than to actually figure out, but there were a couple that had me stumped for a bit towards the end and they did feel great to solve. Unfortunately that isn't all the game consists of though. The developer just had to step beyond his abilities and write a story to go along with this experience. This leads to some of the most painful narration I have listened to in a long time made even more painful by the horrendous voice actor. Of course at this point you would go mute the dialogue and call it a day, but there is only universal volume control meaning you must also surrender all of the atmospheric sound effects and solid score to be free of this aural pain. The icing on the cake is a truly awful boss battle.... where the narrator becomes even more relentless. These two factors actually left me feeling bitter about the experience as a whole as I finished the game.

Verdict: Despite the sublime visuals and decent puzzle efforts, this game gets downgraded to the sub 5$ range for unavoidable atrocious narration and the inclusion of a "boss."
Welp, i bought the game mostly because of your reaction when the game launched(that trailer helped a bit). Well, i actually like the narrator, so it could be a case of different tastes... at least i hope so.

MattyG

Banned
How do I find out what games are worth in terms of keys? I want to try to get the STALKER series, and I was going to post on /r/Steamgameswap, but I don't know how many keys to offer.

jshackles

How do I find out what games are worth in terms of keys? I want to try to get the STALKER series, and I was going to post on /r/Steamgameswap, but I don't know how many keys to offer.

Do you already have Enhanced Steam installed? If not, I'd (obviously) say start there. That will give you the game's price in other regions, including Russia. It'll also give you a handy SteamDB link on the store page so you can check for any crazy sort of region-locking.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Good place to check is TF2 Outpost, just make sure you change the search option to "Steam Inventory" before you enter the game you want, otherwise it will only look for TF2 items with that name.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
But you said you'd never accept bad rats.
You dont even HAVE bad rats.
I didn't say that, or at least I can't remember. If I did, I take it back.

What I do remember saying is that I don't want it. I don't want that crap on my library! But if worst comes to happen, I'll proudly accept the game, and then cry myself to sleep. Here's hoping that never happens, though. Managed to avoid it for over 2 years, so I'm probably the winner of the survival game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom