• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Well that's the shortest impression I've seen from you so that's pretty telling :p

You can easily beat the game in 30 minutes,there's three endings but it's easy enough to get them all about an hour. Might get stuck at some puzzle or not knowing where to click, though.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Well seeing as the publisher is Strategy First and with their history of paying royalties I'd say the devs aren't going to be going out painting the town red any time soon.
You know, I've seen GAFfers complaining about Strategy First a lot of times, but I could never understand why. Google doesn't even help, searching for "Strategy First scandal" or "Strategy First scam" brings up totally unrelated links.

As far as I know, they have released a few games without proper permission from the devs, but I'm not even sure if that's true. Would you (or anyone else) mind explaining these things said company did?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Have yet to see it posted here, but Rhaknar says that Uprising44 keys have been added to the Flying Bundle it was in. itshappening.gif

You know, I've seen GAFfers complaining about Strategy First a lot of times, but I could never understand why. Google doesn't even help, searching for "Strategy First scandal" or "Strategy First scam" brings up totally unrelated links.

As far as I know, they have released a few games without proper permission from the devs, but I'm not even sure if that's true. Would you (or anyone else) mind explaining these things said company did?

Chubigans can confirm that this is true.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Here's where to start:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategy_First#Conflicts

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/05/new-developers-report-no-payments-from-strategy-first/

Most of the cases are not documented there; send chubigans a PM if you want his experience working with them.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
hmmm
i am thinking when i go back, i'll only use Russian IP to use it on the new account that created in russia
this way , the account will still look legit ...right ?

Using Proxies to login on Steam? Doesn't sound safe to me. There's also the fact that you would get market/trade locked for a week each time that you signed in from a different I.P so that would make trading pretty much impossible

What most non-Russian folks do to make money through trading is buy cheap russian copies during a sale and then sell them for a higher price later on. Even then you'll have to factor in the competition, which is huge

Mokoi

Banned
hmmm
i am thinking when i go back, i'll only use Russian IP to use it on the new account that created in russia
this way , the account will still look legit ...right ?

I recommend just giving up. Becoming the new Russian bear just is not in your foreseeable future. At least that is what the cards have told me.

Some impressions for Jack Orlando: Director's Cut

What we have here is a point and click adventure game from the year 1997. Now, 1997 was pretty much starting the sunset of point and click adventures, and for some reason the quality of the ones that remained was also in decline. Sure, the year gave us a few good ones: Riven. Broken Sword II. Blade Runner. But Lucasarts gave us "Curse of Monkey Island" which wasn't nearly as well received as its predecessors, and Sierra gave us "Shivers II: Harvest of Souls," a horror game sandwiched between Leisure Suit Larry 7 and King's Quest 8. So if you hadn't heard of Jack Orlando, nobody's gonna blame you. There's a reason people don't talk about this game much.

The music and sound: Really nice. The company sprang for Harold Faltermeyer, the guy who penned "Axel F" for Beverly Hills Cop. Some great jazz tracks to get you in the mood for 1933 America. Too bad the voice acting is pretty bad. The dialogue isn't great to begin with, but everything's delivered in flat tones with bad accents (more on that later.)

The graphics: Not terrible. Keep in mind, the screenshots look better than in-game for some reason. Maybe there's some antialiasing on the screenshots. There are black lines around everything in game. What immediately sprang to mind was "CD-i version of that Zelda game" but that might be slightly unfair, especially in an era when adventure games were trying out *shudder* FMV.

The story: You're a hard-on-his-luck private eye who yearns for the glory days when he was given the key to the city. Prohibition had just ended and he's been hitting the bottle hard. It's unclear whether or not he was drinking while it was still illegal. You witness a murder, get knocked out trying to intervene, and wake up to get arrested for the murder. You know, because the guy was shot, you're face down at the scene of the crime with no gun to be found anywhere, so obviously you're the murderer! You pull some strings with the inspector and are given 48 hours to clear your name. The premise itself is alright, but the devil's in the details.

Stereotypes EVERYWHERE. I honestly couldn't tell whether the game was supposed to be some kind of parody of 30s movies, or if the European developers genuinely thought this is how people talked and acted. The owner of the Chinese laundry is complete with topknot and full-length robe, referring to you as "f'liend." There's an Irish cop, no less than three Italians connected with the mob, and a violent black man.

The gameplay and puzzles: You know you're playing an old game when you have to hit F1 to access your inventory and options. Saving your game brings up a Windows window asking you to type in a filename for your .SAV. I'm actually scared to attempt to use more than 8 characters for the filename. That aside, this game commits all kinds of adventure game sins:

Huge cursors with tiny hotspots! The hand is grabbing...why isn't it picking it up? *moves around in small circles clicking frantically* Oh there it goes. The game also has the object permanence of an infant: walk in front of an object and you can't pick it up anymore. It's as if the game doesn't realize it's there until you move, then peek-a-boo!
Missables! Forgot something early on in the game? You're fucked! (Sierra did this a lot too, and people didn't like it then, either.)
Items you'll never use! You can literally pick junk off the streets and keep it in your inventory. I'm currently holding an apple core, a banana peel, a broken piece of hose and an old can. Why? Because I could! In case you're wondering, yes, I did try to put them into garbage cans, but that didn't work.
Puzzles that make no sense! Characters are unhelpful until you give them items that they gave no indication they wanted. Someone gives you no hints that they're a smoker, but they need cigarettes. Another person needs a newspaper but never once asks you for it.
Offensive puzzles! Need to pull down a ladder to get to the roof of the building? I'll just use this item that I borrowed from my white neighbour...oh wait, that doesn't work, he says she'll get upset if the item breaks. I know! I'll ask this black guy for this other item. Oh, he refused? I'll just assault him and then steal it! (Don't forget: your character used to be a hero who was given the key to the city.) Okay, developers, I get that the protagonist is a misogynist and ever-so-slightly racist because he has 1930s society views. But do we really need to make him a full-on asshole? I don't identify with him and I don't want to root for him.

The verdict: the game blew its wad on sweet music. Other games were blowing their wad on movie actors like Christopher Walken, so as far as that goes their choice wasn't bad. By 1997 standards it probably would have been a mediocre game. By today's standards, it's little more than a history lesson on what gamers eager for adventures had to put up with. And yet, I'm still glad I got to experience it for that alone. You, dear reader, might not want to, however.

Indignate

It's an interesting paradox because declining is a dick move, but to many, to gift Bad Rats is a dick move itself.

Two dicks don't make a...wait...

Well SteamGAF it has been a good run but it is now time to abandon this steam powered ship. We've sailed these waters for a long time but the stowaway rats carrying this dark plague have finally inflicted the minds of its passengers to insanity. I leave now in my escape craft and wish you all a fond adieu.

Senpai, plz

Jawmuncher

What we have here is a point and click adventure game from the year 1997. Now, 1997 was pretty much starting the sunset of point and click adventures, and for some reason the quality of the ones that remained was also in decline. Sure, the year gave us a few good ones: Riven. Broken Sword II. Blade Runner. But Lucasarts gave us "Curse of Monkey Island" which wasn't nearly as well received as its predecessors, and Sierra gave us "Shivers II: Harvest of Souls," a horror game sandwiched between Leisure Suit Larry 7 and King's Quest 8. So if you hadn't heard of Jack Orlando, nobody's gonna blame you. There's a reason people don't talk about this game much.

The music and sound: Really nice. The company sprang for Harold Faltermeyer, the guy who penned "Axel F" for Beverly Hills Cop. Some great jazz tracks to get you in the mood for 1933 America. Too bad the voice acting is pretty bad. The dialogue isn't great to begin with, but everything's delivered in flat tones with bad accents (more on that later.)

The graphics: Not terrible. Keep in mind, the screenshots look better than in-game for some reason. Maybe there's some antialiasing on the screenshots. There are black lines around everything in game. What immediately sprang to mind was "CD-i version of that Zelda game" but that might be slightly unfair, especially in an era when adventure games were trying out *shudder* FMV.

The story: You're a hard-on-his-luck private eye who yearns for the glory days when he was given the key to the city. Prohibition had just ended and he's been hitting the bottle hard. It's unclear whether or not he was drinking while it was still illegal. You witness a murder, get knocked out trying to intervene, and wake up to get arrested for the murder. You know, because the guy was shot, you're face down at the scene of the crime with no gun to be found anywhere, so obviously you're the murderer! You pull some strings with the inspector and are given 48 hours to clear your name. The premise itself is alright, but the devil's in the details.

Stereotypes EVERYWHERE. I honestly couldn't tell whether the game was supposed to be some kind of parody of 30s movies, or if the European developers genuinely thought this is how people talked and acted. The owner of the Chinese laundry is complete with topknot and full-length robe, referring to you as "f'liend." There's an Irish cop, no less than three Italians connected with the mob, and a violent black man.

The gameplay and puzzles: You know you're playing an old game when you have to hit F1 to access your inventory and options. Saving your game brings up a Windows window asking you to type in a filename for your .SAV. I'm actually scared to attempt to use more than 8 characters for the filename. That aside, this game commits all kinds of adventure game sins:

Huge cursors with tiny hotspots! The hand is grabbing...why isn't it picking it up? *moves around in small circles clicking frantically* Oh there it goes. The game also has the object permanence of an infant: walk in front of an object and you can't pick it up anymore. It's as if the game doesn't realize it's there until you move, then peek-a-boo!
Missables! Forgot something early on in the game? You're fucked! (Sierra did this a lot too, and people didn't like it then, either.)
Items you'll never use! You can literally pick junk off the streets and keep it in your inventory. I'm currently holding an apple core, a banana peel, a broken piece of hose and an old can. Why? Because I could! In case you're wondering, yes, I did try to put them into garbage cans, but that didn't work.
Puzzles that make no sense! Characters are unhelpful until you give them items that they gave no indication they wanted. Someone gives you no hints that they're a smoker, but they need cigarettes. Another person needs a newspaper but never once asks you for it.
Offensive puzzles! Need to pull down a ladder to get to the roof of the building? I'll just use this item that I borrowed from my white neighbour...oh wait, that doesn't work, he says she'll get upset if the item breaks. I know! I'll ask this black guy for this other item. Oh, he refused? I'll just assault him and then steal it! (Don't forget: your character used to be a hero who was given the key to the city.) Okay, developers, I get that the protagonist is a misogynist and ever-so-slightly racist because he has 1930s society views. But do we really need to make him a full-on asshole? I don't identify with him and I don't want to root for him.

The verdict: the game blew its wad on sweet music. Other games were blowing their wad on movie actors like Christopher Walken, so as far as that goes their choice wasn't bad. By 1997 standards it probably would have been a mediocre game. By today's standards, it's little more than a history lesson on what gamers eager for adventures had to put up with. And yet, I'm still glad I got to experience it for that alone. You, dear reader, might not want to, however.

I tried playing this awhile back and just couldn't handle it.
I had a lot of issues for some reason with the inventory and mouse clicking. The music was really good though and I got it for 50 cents thanks to a coupon.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Tenrius

I didn't notice the link was wrong at first (didn't click it regardless).

9c2cbc4ae0.png

First time I actually encountered something like this on Steam.

Mokoi

Banned

So if you hadn't heard of Jack Orlando, nobody's gonna blame you. There's a reason people don't talk about this game much.

Yep never heard of this until now.

Yeah based on what you've written I really don't want to.

You've got the wrong avatar for that.

What are you talking about? Yes I do. >_>

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
With all the excitement over Bad Rats, I was reminded of a game that came out recently:

Thematically, it reverses the roles in Bad Rats, the player is now directing the machinations of a cat seeking to destroy rodents. Has anyone here had any experience with it? There are a few Steam reviews that paint it in a positive light, but sometimes those can be subject to joke submissions.

-----------------------

Curious, do you have your inventory set to public?

MRORANGE

[IM]http://puu.sh/aYfdL/9c2cbc4ae0.png[/IMG]

You should have told him about the spelling mistake in the URL, how the hell are you going to be friends if the URL is wrong?

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Pressure -- MB-59D5F61CC9422812 - Taken by pupo. 2 entrants total.
140 -- MB-22970A299668B6AE - Taken by swx. 4 entrants total.

t1408403728z1.png

140 is a really cool game btw

Still available

Fester Mudd Curse of the Gold Episode 1 -- MB-1CCAFA7FAC04F704
Hostile Waters Antaeus Rising -- MB-A840476B8788BBA8 - Taken by TheMadMan007. 1 entrants total.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Here's where to start:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategy_First#Conflicts

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/05/new-developers-report-no-payments-from-strategy-first/

Most of the cases are not documented there; send chubigans a PM if you want his experience working with them.
Whoa, that's scummy as hell! How can these guys get away with that? They are stealing from those devs :/

I honestly can't believe they could do that to Chubigans and Introversion and not be in jail, and even be able to keep publishing games. Fucking assholes.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
There's a teaser up for Groupees Be Mine 14, can anyone identify any of the games? https://groupees.com/bm14

Betrayer has to be in it judging by the backgrounds and Whispering Willows has a small split second cut. Maybe Little Big Adventure 2?

Can't tell what this is:

sYcJAwk.png

edit: found it. Consortium.

It's Consortium.

Edited before I saw your post, but yep. It's one of the screenshots on the store page.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Yep. I don't really have anything of note there lol.

This usually happens when you bump a trade on TF2oupost or other trading sites. If you were not trading then there is a possibility that someone from your friends list got phished and now phishing bots are spamming his whole friendlist with these links

Nabs

Super Time Force Ultra comes out on the 25th. Here's a video they put out that shows off some new stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrYrd1AuQR0

Super Time Force Ultra is coming to Steam on August 25th!

STFU brings all the insane time-travel action of Super Time Force to PC along with brand new bonus content including: 50 new Helladeck challenge levels, inter-dimensional Ultra Force powers and 3 super-awesome, super-secret new characters! STFU is the ultimate in personal computing time travel technology!

iEDBdUbXtLHny.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom