• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kris.

Banned
office-no-o.gif

this is... upsetting.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
what?!?!? WHY?!?!? O_O

Because... people? From what I gather, there are people out there who feel that Idlemaster undermines the "spirit" of why trading cards were set up in the first place. I need some sort of "this is why we can't have nice things" gif.

It's the same reason you have to sign in with Steam when you want to change your profile background with Enhanced Steam, people can be dicks.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Because... people? From what I gather, there are people out there who feel that Idlemaster undermines the "spirit" of why trading cards were set up in the first place. I need some sort of "this is why we can't have nice things" gif.

It's the same reason you have to sign in with Steam when you want to change your profile background with Enhanced Steam, people can be dicks.

tumblr_inline_n314leaATW1rm1bt0.gif

seriously ... I never could understand people like that .... *facepalm*

Parsnip

Does anyone own the original pc release of Metal Gear Solid? Does it work on modern machines well or at all?

I hope that Konami will dust that off (assuming they have the assets :( ), show it some love (really just modern OS, high resolutions and xinput is all it needs I think) and release it sometime, along with the HD collection.

That's stupid. Cards were created to make Valve more money. The quicker people can get cards, the more opportunities there are for them to be sold. People can tell themselves that it's something more, but the reality is it's all about money.

Ah I'm sorry to hear that. I've passed the message on to the programmer and he knows what the problem is, but it will take time to fix as we're busy wrapping up work on our next Adult Swim game. It'll be done when he has spare time though!

That's great news! SHOTDN is a great game and i just pointed that out to save some people the possible frustration of unlocking several items and making it deep into the game and losing that progress. Good to hear that work is still being put into it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That's stupid. Cards were created to make Valve more money. The quicker people can get cards, the more opportunities there are for them to be sold. People can tell themselves that it's something more, but the reality is it's all about money.

That's kinda the way I saw it. But a lot of people look at Idle Master as "cheating", which most likely stems from a superiority complex revolving around them having to do it the hard way before Idle Master was released.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
PFX2 is a ton of fun and the tables are totally worth it at that price. Just buy one pack and if you enjoy the gameplay, grab ALL the others. All of them are great except for the Zen Classics pack, that one I recommend waiting on or not bothering. Low-scoring and old feeling, which they are.

MUnited83

For you.
So, what is the Sounddodger+ DLC that is included on the HB Weekly, exactly? I activated it, and then activated a steam gift copy of the soundtrack I had on my inventory. The only dlc that shows on the DLC tab is the soundtrack.

The_Monk

Like I mentioned a couple of hours ago, I finished The Walking Dead: Season Two my good people. If you want to rate up or down you can do it by following this link to the review that is bellow.

l0MHF5i.png

As most of you may know, you play as Clementine, a young girl thrown in a world where every time you see a glimpse of hope it does not take you much time for things to get messy again. It took me around 9 hours to finish all the episodes and there was times I wish they could last longer but in the end it was a nice journey. Choices in this game will matter, however not all of them and they may not lead to the impact you may expect. You'll be facing reactions from others in which they will remember what you did, to whom you stood up to or what you have chosen in a moment where there was not time to reflect properly. While the big decisions can impact the story I wish they would make more decisions and create a bigger impact around every character instead of a comment every now and then. Clementine is really young, but she became very aware of how harsh the world can be. Sometimes, innocence will make her believe in people she shouldn't or spare someone when it might not have been the best decision.

However, I felt they put too much pressure for a little girl. Too often you will have others asking what you (Clementine) think about some themes, what should they should do or forcing her to choose a side, a path, who lives, who dies. I find hard to feel immersed in these parts because in a world where everyone is fighting for food, ammo and their very own survival it does not seem realistic to put so much weight and the destiny itself in the hands of a young girl. I understand that this is you, the player, who is making the choices but during Season one it was much more easier because you were Lee and I did everything to protect my sweet pea. Now that you play as her I can't help but feel that others rely too much on a opinion from a young girl and it seems... unreal. Unfair too.

The soundtrack is nicely done. The main theme is a mix of hope and despair and get you in the mood really quickly. Most of the story elements will be more or less intense depending on how you play. As some of you may know, you can't expect much gameplay wise since it's a Story driven game so it's important for you to relax, be Clem and let yourself be part of this world filled with death and little hope. The more you let yourself get lost in the world the better your experience will be.

It is not a game for everyone, that is for sure but if you like to listen to a story while making some decisions that could change the destiny of some people, I say, give it a try. Looking back, the first Season made a bigger impact on me. First I had to protect someone more than everything and Lee was an amazing character with a great voice and warm morals to keep his sweet pea safe from everyone, walkers or not. There was more Point & Click aspects when comparing to the Season Two, in fact I don't recall a moment where I have to stop and think about solving something, which can be a shame if you enjoy a little puzzling in your point & click games (as it should be!).

Finally, I found no issues while playing this game aside of two achievements not unlocking at the start of the 5th episode. I unlocked them by replaying those parts. In the end, I had great fun with this game and I hope others can experience the way I did.

My only advice would be: Do not trust anyone.

As always, I'm sorry for my poor English when writing bigger texts. Feel free to give me any tips regarding improving my vocabulary at any time. :)

Annubis

That's kinda the way I saw it. But a lot of people look at Idle Master as "cheating", which most likely stems from a superiority complex revolving around them having to do it the hard way before Idle Master was released.

I see IdleMaster as a great tool for people with slow connections that would be deterred to install a game only for cards or people that can only install a restricted amount of games per month due to bandwidth limitations.

rataplein

humble bundle extras!.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (rataplein, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

MIRROR'S EDGE -- MB-2BBF26EA11323ABF - Taken by KingDirk
SUPER MEAT BOY, LONE SURVIVOR AND BRAID -- MB-54AD0CB0594B571B - Taken by vvise
CORTEX COMMAND -- MB-3B58E8CF72B51A76 - Taken by Leg-End
DEAD SPACE -- MB-AF5788E2E5705B52 - Taken by nja

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

For purely the sake of argument, what makes idlemaster different from using Sam to unlock achievements to gain GMG credit?

I'm not trying to be snotty here, either. I've run idlemaster before (and sold the cards) and would never run Sam to gain GMG credit, but I can't rationally explain what makes either practice significantly different.

BHK3

Banned

What hard way? Leaving the game running for X amount of hours before all drops are exhausted?

For purely the sake of argument, what makes idlemaster different from using Sam to unlock achievements to gain GMG credit?

I'm not trying to be snotty here, either. I've run idlemaster before (and sold the cards) and would never run Sam to gain GMG credit, but I can't rationally explain what makes either practice significantly different.

for one, valve and the devs get a cut from your card sales, whereas with Playfire you're pretending to earn an achievement to make money to get discounts from them, essentially costing GMG money in the process.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Atraveller, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Atraveller, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Crusader Kings II -- MB-3F725442080CB65D - Taken by Sharkiller. 6 entrants total.
Crusader Kings II - Russian Unit Pack -- MB-F1567F72C653015A
t1cxE6r.gif
Prey -- MB-2F89A48C7B17593F - Taken by Sub Zero. 86 entrants total.
Crusader Kings II - African Unit Pack -- MB-98B7C488CF068E2C - Taken by Evrain. 1 entrants total.

t1409301022z1.png

Shantom

Cheating achievements costs Playfire money. Cheating card drops gives Valve money.
Edit: beaten like playfire's reward program.

Kifimbo

Old spare:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kifimbo, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Solar 2 -- MB-04BCD4A2E8E1E2B7 - Taken by bluechox2

jshackles

I think the developer's intention is the same in both instances: they want you to play their games. However, one way (Steam Trading Cards) earns them money and the other way (Playfire rewards) costs them
or Greenman Gaming?, not sure
money. Using Idle Master to "cheat" in this scenario means that by extension you're making the developer even more money than they would have otherwise received. Using SAM to cheat means you cost them more money than they would have otherwise paid.

What hard way? Leaving the game running for X amount of hours before all drops are exhausted?

Yeah, although I've had people tell me "I'd never cheat with something like Idle Master! I'll just keep using SAM to idle my games".

Shadowgate hype.

Anyone play that yet? Any impressions?

I have and it's absolutely fantastic. It's everything I wanted it to be - very true to the original but not identical. Some of the puzzles are maddening, but in a very very good way.

Jawmuncher

Orion Prelude is a huge improvement from when I last played it.
header_292x136.jpg

If anyone wants to play tonight we have 2 out of 5 spots filled so far.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=127494479&postcount=9154

To further elaborate. The Gamepad control and even the TPS camera actually work far more and aren't broken. The only complaint there is that if using the controller the use icon is still the keyboard icon. But that's a small issue.

It's no Primal Carnage but it's at least a decent dinosaur game now.
It's worth the 99 cents now.

Knurek

I'm with tiz on this...always liked pinball but never dipped into pc pinball, any fx adopters have advice? I do like the look at a few of the marvel tables being lil more expensive

Make sure to buy Balls of Steel on GOG as well.
Best Duke Nukem game you've never played. :)
(Pity Slam Tilt is not distributed digitally anywhere, that was hands down the best computer pinball game ever).

What tables are worth getting again?

I'm with tiz on this...always liked pinball but never dipped into pc pinball, any fx adopters have advice? I do like the look at a few of the marvel tables being lil more expensive

It's kind of up to personal preference, but my personal favorites are:
  • Plants vs Zombies
  • Ms. Splosion Man
  • Empire Strikes Back (Star Wars Pack)
  • Return of the Jedi (Balance of the Force Pack)
  • Darth Vader (Balance of the Force Pack)
  • Star Wars: Starfighter (Balance of the Force Pack)
  • Paranormal
  • Epic Quest
  • Mars
  • Earth Defense

I have all the Marvel ones but I haven't played enough of them to recommend any. I'm sure there are good ones in there. Perhaps KenOD can recommend some. I know he plays a lot.

Hanzou

Me three. Need some recommendations. In the pics they all look good.
Pinball Arcade is much better if you want a game that plays anything is to real Pinball. The physics in fx are real weird and the game us too easy. From the little I played it's easy to have the ball in play long periods of time. Play it safe and you can almost never drain the ball.

MetalDeer

I have and it's absolutely fantastic. It's everything I wanted it to be - very true to the original but not identical. Some of the puzzles are maddening.

Sounds great. I don't have first-hand experience with the NES game, but I saw someone streaming a little bit of it, and it looks right up my alley.

The Darkness 2 is pretty alright so far. Not a huge fan of how you execute melee attacks, having to hold down a button and move around the mouse for the direction you want seems to be too much of a hassle in any situation where you'd need it. It's a bit linear for my tastes, although there are some various conversations and stuff you can stop to listen to.

And the game does have a pretty side, at least.
I love it when games remove the HUD when you're just looking around and stuff, or minimal HUD in general.

derExperte

I never ignore you my good man. Fools are those who do such thing. :p

40636-Ghost-Hug.gif

Pinball Arcade is much better if you want a game that plays anything is to real Pinball. The physics in fx are real weird and the game us too easy. From the little I played it's easy to have the ball in play long periods of time. Play it safe and you can almost never drain the ball.

I don't think FX's physics are all that bad and PA has a few issues itself. You're right of course that those tables are harder in general as they were designed to make you spend money but FX2 has difficult ones as well. I like both approaches, they complement each other nicely.

MadGear

Anyone else having issues with Drive Cancels in KoF XIII using a gamepad (X360 pad, analog stick)? I almost find them easier to pull of using my keyboard but that feels really bizarre overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom