• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
for one, valve and the devs get a cut from your card sales, whereas with Playfire you're pretending to earn an achievement to make money to get discounts from them, essentially costing GMG money in the process.

Cheating achievements costs Playfire money. Cheating card drops gives Valve money.
Edit: beaten like playfire's reward program.

I think the developer's intention is the same in both instances: they want you to play their games. However, one way (Steam Trading Cards) earns them money and the other way (Playfire rewards) costs them
or Greenman Gaming?, not sure
money. Using Idle Master to "cheat" in this scenario means that by extension you're making the developer even more money than they would have otherwise received. Using SAM to cheat means you cost them more money than they would have otherwise paid.

Points recognized, but what does it ultimately matter to GMG if you've unlocked the achievements the hard way? They were never going to directly make money from your actions. Instead, it's actually clever marketing to get you on their store so they can sell you something that costs more than the credit you have (and hopefully start a pattern of selling you ads on playfire and getting you shopping on GMG).

Shadownet

Banned
OT: (Fantasy Football related)
Maneil suddenly messaged me yesterday saying hes dropping out from Fantasy Football league. I asked him why but he haven't message me back. So if anyone wanna take his spot in the league. please message me ASAP on steam. The draft is tonight at 8:30pm EDT. I don't think we can roll with 9 people. odd number. If you don't know how to play, I can teach you. (It's mostly just managing stuff)

Edit: Nevermind. :) Stride joined.

Monooboe

Oh sweet just got Vanishing of Ethan Carter for 6 keys.:D Yep I'm addicted.

On the game though, I very interested in the game from a technical standpoint, they use a technique called photogrammetry where you make 3D models from a bunch of photos and thats how they make most of their assets ingame, can be very nice indeed. Also that I'm a photographer so would I'm going to explore that more, would kind of sweet to combine both of ny biggest interest into one project.:D

BruteUA

My plan to get a CS:GO drop to fund a pinball table purchase has failed. I've got to stop playing for a bit before I throw something, casual's gotten a whole lot more tryhard these last few days.

Just obught Splinter Cell Blacklist for $1.88 on Gamesgate. 94% price error, dont care if it's uplay lol

A few years back, I got Asscreed 1, 2, POP the forgotten sands, AND Conviction for $1 each. It was back when Ubisoft was using a plain webpage storefront through digital river and they had a pricing snafu.

best thing? once Uplay rolled around all of those games were added to my account, except for asscreed 1. Still can't figure out why, though.

Nete

Does anyone own the original pc release of Metal Gear Solid? Does it work on modern machines well or at all?

I hope that Konami will dust that off (assuming they have the assets :( ), show it some love (really just modern OS, high resolutions and xinput is all it needs I think) and release it sometime, along with the HD collection.

Last time I played it worked mostly fine, besides having to play in a crappy windowed mode due resolution problems and having some issues with the 360 controller. At the end I just gave up and grabbed my PS game.

When checking for a resolution fix I saw lots of people with problems to even run it, tho.

MadGear

My plan to get a CS:GO drop to fund a pinball table purchase has failed. I've got to stop playing for a bit before I throw something, casual's gotten a whole lot more tryhard these last few days.

You don't play the game when you are just into drops. If stats don't matter to you, simply join one of the many achievement/idle servers and do something else while CS:GO runs in the background.

The_Monk

http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-TCSCC/tom-clancys-splinter-cell-collection is still 94% and has everything. But only Blacklist is Uplay. Meh.

It's giving me a much higher price. Guess it's fixed at least in here? I could be doing something wrong, to be honest.

1Vmu8YOl.png

Last game I played on Uplay was Valiant Hearts ( :D ) and I didn't had any issues. How much is showing in € to you? I have yet to play Blacklist and I read mixed feelings about the game. Visuals seems very pretty, however.

EDIT: Aaaand I missed your edit. Really slow today, eh!

BHK3

Banned
Yeah, although I've had people tell me "I'd never cheat with something like Idle Master! I'll just keep using SAM to idle my games".

Is this coming from the steam community forums, the same people who said that idlemaster and SAM is malware and they would rather do it all legitimately?

Myshkin

At this point, if we don't get

STEAM | September 2014 - nice thread, btw

then I'm not going to post anything in it. And I know you guys don't want that.

I don't think anything can defeat that thread title at this point.
The only chance is if PacaPlus is announced for September and we get
STEAM | September 2014 - You Might Already Be Alpaca

MNC

Currently going through transformers fall and while I'm enjoying it, I can't shake off the feeling I get with most current era of games, and that is the hand holding. "Oh no, you can't progress, better find an alternate route!" *Hold E to focus on alternate route*

This constant string of following orders is tiresome and once I become aware of it I get irritated by how dumb developers think we are.

I can't wait for MGSV. Gonna be a lovely open experience.

Salsa

thanks for the greetings bros

knowing my luck for some reason I dont have internet on the house today so it's a steamless birthday. only have shitty data from my phone but still nice to read stuff

kamspy

The old one was worse (the tray/small icon, that is) But yeah I think it changed a while back.

Oh I disagree.

Any icon with an interactive dialog box needs to be square. It just looks sloppy.

I'm gonna find a way to change it. I hope the old icon is preserved on the web somewhere.

Points recognized, but what does it ultimately matter to GMG if you've unlocked the achievements the hard way? They were never going to directly make money from your actions. Instead, it's actually clever marketing to get you on their store so they can sell you something that costs more than the credit you have (and hopefully start a pattern of selling you ads on playfire and getting you shopping on GMG).

The key answer here is time invested. And also honor/honesty, but that's not something we can quantify or is of value to either of the companies here... so yeah, the answer is time.

What's the difference between you downloading a game and idling it for cards vs. using SAM to idle for cards vs. using the app_id trick to idle for cards vs. using idlemaster?

The answer is absolutely nothing. On valve's end, it all looks the same -- the steam "client" is reporting that a user is playing game x -- and if the user is eligible, after x amount of time a drop is randomly generated. There is no guarantee of the user getting anything other than a card drop here (if eligible) and either way, it nets money for Valve. Money from market transactions (either buying cards to complete a badge or selling cards lead to more transactions) in addition to the money paid up front for the game.

Now what's the difference between earning achievements for playfire money vs. using SAM? Playfire/GMG weights the achievements based on likelihood that they will have to pay out (or they used to). If Playfire is going to have to give out $0.50 for an achievement that takes a normal honest gamer 30 hours to get to (had they not started the game before, like some of the Prototype 2 ones), the number of payouts is going to be small if people aren't abusing SAM to instantly unlock credits. So Playfire should care about achievements are earned where as Valve should not.

derExperte

Playing the Walking Dead pinball table wasn't the best idea. It's like [S2 spoiler]
the flashback only in pinball form, Lee and Clem playing football, everyone's alive
. The feels.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Is this coming from the steam community forums, the same people who said that idlemaster and SAM is malware and they would rather do it all legitimately?

I can only assume as much, but most of these negative comments are coming in to me directly via email.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The key answer here is time invested. And also honor/honesty, but that's not something we can quantify or is of value to either of the companies here... so yeah, the answer is time.

What's the difference between you downloading a game and idling it for cards vs. using SAM to idle for cards vs. using the app_id trick to idle for cards vs. using idlemaster?

The answer is absolutely nothing. On valve's end, it all looks the same -- the steam "client" is reporting that a user is playing game x -- and if the user is eligible, after x amount of time a drop is randomly generated. There is no guarantee of the user getting anything other than a card drop here (if eligible) and either way, it nets money for Valve. Money from market transactions (either buying cards to complete a badge or selling cards lead to more transactions) in addition to the money paid up front for the game.

Now what's the difference between earning achievements for playfire money vs. using SAM? Playfire/GMG weights the achievements based on likelihood that they will have to pay out (or they used to). If Playfire is going to have to give out $0.50 for an achievement that takes a normal honest gamer 30 hours to get to (had they not started the game before, like some of the Prototype 2 ones), the number of payouts is going to be small if people aren't abusing SAM to instantly unlock credits. So Playfire should care about achievements are earned where as Valve should not.

So, theoretically, if I made a program like Sam that unlocked achievements over time using some math (total number of global users with achievement weighted against howlongtobeat says a completionist run takes), it would be okay?

Had quite a fun "war" with a scammer today.
He wanted to sell me keys for Paypal, obviously I checked his account first and found out that he's using an alt of a scammer account.
Since I was bored to hell, I decided to have some fun with him and I offered to buy his earbud too.
Pretended to scam him and messed with him for a good 30 mins or so before I traded him back.
That bastard reported me before I could do that though (even when I told him I'd trade him back his stuff), so now I'm marked in Steamrep with a pending report, the glory!

My report: http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/report-76561198125075374-none-no-items.75781/
His report: http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/report-76561197965158947-tf2-team-fortress-2-items.75786/

So, now, who wanna challenge me on Speedrunners!!!!?!?
New rules, I will not use a single weapon during our races, but you're free to use all weapons!
All competitors get the chance to win 1 free random game once.
Only official maps as usual, 1 race each.

1. Dunder
2. drizzle
3. iosefe
4. Nabs

I thought it was going to be a sequel?
I understood that it was going to be a prequel, not really a reboot.

So, theoretically, if I made a program like Sam that unlocked achievements ocer time using some math (total number of global users with achievement weighted against howlongtobeat says a completionist run takes), it would be okay?
I can see your point, but for me, it's just the nature of achievements that makes using SAM or other tool for GMG money a bad thing. In most cases, it's something that involves some effort from the player, and skipping that feels like being credited for something you didn't really do/achieve.
With Idlemaster and SAM, the only thing you did was save time, and did not hurt anyone in the process

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Speedrunners[/B]!!!!?!?
New rules, I will not use a single weapon during our races, but you're free to use all weapons!

1. Dunder

I will play speedrunners with you even though I never played speedrunners and I can't possibly win anything but... I kind awant to play speedrunners.

Valve on the verge again of pissing off the Dota community. It's a never ending cycle. Both hilarious and sad.

I bet most non-Dota Valve fans would put their hands together if their game of choice got even quarter of a attention Dota gets.

Well, excluding TF2 and GO (they got also pissed off very recently lol), I guess.

iosefe

Had quite a fun "war" with a scammer today.
He wanted to sell me keys for Paypal, obviously I checked his account first and found out that he's using an alt of a scammer account.
Since I was bored to hell, I decided to have some fun with him and I offered to buy his earbud too.
Pretended to scam him and messed with him for a good 30 mins or so before I traded him back.
That bastard reported me before I could do that though (even when I told him I'd trade him back his stuff), so now I'm marked in Steamrep with a pending report, the glory!

My report: http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/report-76561198125075374-none-no-items.75781/
His report: http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/report-76561197965158947-tf2-team-fortress-2-items.75786/

So, now, who wanna challenge me on Speedrunners!!!!?!?

1. Dunder
haven't played in a bit, this gon be good

Valve on the verge again of pissing off the Dota community. It's a never ending cycle. Both hilarious and sad.

I bet most non-Dota Valve fans would put their hands together if their game of choice got even quarter of a attention Dota gets.

Well, excluding TF2 and GO (they got also pissed off very recently lol), I guess.
What are they trying to pull now?

Hugstable

Banned

Time to twitter Volvo again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom