• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck OLED Announced: Coming November 16

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Still terrible1280x800 16:10 fucking crap.
THat's so pixelated. Looks like shit and yeah, I had a deck.
There is no reason not t have higher res screen and then just render games at whatever res you need.

And 16:10 should've died back in 2008.
Nope, best way to support both modern widescreen as well as older 4:3 optimised games. 1280x800 works very well, let AA handle the rest.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
16:9 should have never been a thing for computer monitors. It's inferior in every way. God I hate gamers.
I couldn't disagree more as a 16:10 lcd owner for years.
Also. Eyes have better fov on sides rather than height. 16:10 makes no freaking sense.

and if "god I hate gamers" then what are you doing here? On forum with only gamers I presume?
Are you not a gamer? Or do you consider yourself to be better. Someon more than a "stupid gamer"?
wtf man

Last edited:

Zathalus

I think 720p rendered on 1440p 7" screen looks 10x better than 720p rendered on 720p" 7" screen. That's it.
The exact opposite actually:

A 1440p screen would also lead to worse battery life for very little gain, as few games can run at that resolution on the deck.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I hate how much FOMO I already have for this thing. I’m stuck in a catch 22. I don’t play my Steam Deck enough to justify buying a new one, but the reason I don’t play my Deck is because the screen looks like dogshit.

I’m just being a curmudgeonly wiener. I’ll go sit in the corner and sulk now.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Exactly. I love my 90Hz refresh rate on my Nintendo Switch.

Oh wait.
AcmbDAG.png

Better sounding speaker and performance improved in games (no hack, they just added faster RAM :)).

Dural

Still terrible1280x800 16:10 fucking crap.
There is no reason not t have higher res screen and then just render games at whatever res you need.

And 16:10 should've died back in 2008.

Agreed on the resolution, but 16:10 is great for emulation and that's what I use the Steam Deck for 90% of the time.

c41e0f21865a8ef323fe9b48f5224f6d.png

Canadian prices.

NO antiglare on the 512gb version.
Just buy an anti-glare screen protector. You'll want a screen protector on it regardless I imagine. It's exactly what I did with my 64GB model.

On a separate note, whilst it's a good upgrade, I'm a bit annoyed that they kept saying 'Don't expect an upgraded Steam Deck anytime soon' and then drop this. I'd have waited another 2 months to buy this one should I have known. Oh well, my own fucking fault lol!

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The exact opposite actually:

A 1440p screen would also lead to worse battery life for very little gain, as few games can run at that resolution on the deck.
battery yeah. sure.
But that native is bollocks.
I was the biggest "make 1080p integer scaling x4 on 4k displays" guy back in the day... only to realize it looks like crap outside of 2d games.
Pixelart looks good with integer scaling and native. YES.
but bilinear upscaled 3d graphics? no difference. You would fail to notice real life diffrence.
inf act, 1080p looks better on a 4k screen of the same size 27" for example. I had these screens, I compared. I was assing around about this native and pixel perfect for years.

It is mostly overreaction on paper. IN reality, higher pixel density looks better.
btw. By bilinear upscaling I mean just "stretching" the image with blurring. By integer scaling, I mean multiplying the pixels. That does look good for 2d stuff.
nowadays we always use aa, fxaa, taa, whatever. The image in 3d games is never pixel sharp. bilinear upscaling doesn't change that. It looks the same.

Fredrik

I hate how much FOMO I already have for this thing. I’m stuck in a catch 22. I don’t play my Steam Deck enough to justify buying a new one, but the reason I don’t play my Deck is because the screen looks like dogshit.

Similar scenario but I don’t really mind the screen, still want this one badly. I’ll close my eyes and take the plunge if I can get one, and I’ll remind myself that I spent 3x the most expensive one on the graphics card alone for my PC. Guessing they’ll be sold out in minutes.

Poppyseed

Yep I sold my Deck because the screen was such crap, and now have an Ally. Problem is, I now have an Ally, and I also have an OLED Switch. Not sure what's the best thing. If the Deck were as fast as the Ally, and had a 1080p screen, it would be a no brainer. Thing is, it's not... it's now a larger 7.4" screen with the same 1280x800 resolution, so ppi is an issue.

Welp, I have some time to mull it over...

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Similar scenario but I don’t really mind the screen, still want this one badly. I’ll close my eyes and take the plunge if I can get one, and I’ll remind myself that I spent 3x the most expensive one on the graphics card alone for my PC. Guessing they’ll be sold out in minutes.
Yeah…. I’ll probably do the same thing. Just don’t tell my gf.

Fuck I hate having a mortgage 🫠

Midn1ght

From Richard:

"This is the most expensive and transformative mid-generation console refresh I have ever seen. Valve description of this being the definitive version of the first generation Steam Deck isn't only bang on the money, it makes me think on how good the next generation Steam Deck is gonna be."

Thanks god for Valve, seems like one of the only company out there who understand and listen to their consumers. They're not perfect of course, but it's refreshing to hear comments like these in the ocean of bad and dumb decisions the industry has taken in the last few years.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
i was kind of busy playing Psychonauts 2 on my Deck, this COMPLETELY flew over my head

Great upgrade overall fixing the biggest issue with the Deck screen wise. The new Wifi chip was sorely needed

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
From Richard:

"This is the most expensive and transformative mid-generation console refresh I have ever seen. Valve description of this being the definitive version of the first generation Steam Deck isn't only bang on the money, it makes me think on how good the next generation Steam Deck is gonna be."

Thanks god for Valve, seems like one of the only company out there who understand and listen to their consumers. They're not perfect of course, but it's refreshing to hear comments like these in the ocean of bad and dumb decisions the industry has taken in the last few years.
I mean.... it's a new screen and some little updates.
No way this even compares to stuff like xbox one x or ps4 pro changes.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I haven't noticed this at all. Can you post a picture showing said pixelation that's a result of the screen resolution?
On the contrary, I was about to sell my Deck as I find the screen to be its worst offender.
If you already have a Deck another $549 is too much for OLED and a better battery. If I drop money like that I'd want a SoC at least as good as the 7840U and a landscape oriented screen with VRR. I respect your opinion if you find it to be worth that kind of money. Admittedly, I have cold feet about selling a Deck out of warranty, as when I sold my launch 512GB the APU failed on the kid just a couple weeks after he bought it from me. I'm not the type of person who would tell somebody to just eat it when you're talking over $600. Luckily it was still under warranty. Since that event and considering my current Deck is out of warranty, I wouldn't consider selling it.

If you're going to sell, do it quickly. Market value for a used Deck is already at the $279 baseline with a 1yr warranty. Without a warranty, value would be around $200-225 imo. *EDIT* They just sold out of the $279 Deck as I finished typing this.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Was the old model 90hz?
60hz. 90hz seems like a good enough compromise between 60 and 120.

He just bought his deck not long ago, let him cry into his pillow a little more. He'll pop up soon lol
also why would i be sad

The thing about the Deck is that it's easily repairable, every component inside the thing can be swapped out.... including the screen and the battery. I'm fine, here

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I haven't noticed this at all. Can you post a picture showing said pixelation that's a result of the screen resolution?

If you already have a Deck another $549 is too much for OLED and a better battery. If I drop money like that I'd want a SoC at least as good as the 7840U and a landscape oriented screen with VRR. I respect your opinion if you find it to be worth that kind of money. Admittedly, I have cold feet about selling a Deck out of warranty, as when I sold my launch 512GB the APU failed on the kid just a couple weeks after he bought it from me. I'm not the type of person who would tell somebody to just eat it when you're talking over $600. Luckily it was still under warranty. Since that event and considering my current Deck is out of warranty, I wouldn't consider selling it.

If you're going to sell, do it quickly. Market value for a used Deck is already at the $279 baseline with a 1yr warranty. Without a warranty, value would be around $200-225 imo. *EDIT* They just sold out of the $279 Deck as I finished typing this.
I don't have my deck anymore but the screen looked miserable low dpi

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Oled 90Hz Screen
HDR
Better Battery
Better performances
Lighter
Quieter
Easier to open and repair

and all of this:

Cega7HZ.jpg

It's alright.
It might be the biggest "midgen" jump in handhelds.
not in "all of consoles" though.

Sleepwalker

Yeah I will sell my deck, I don't like dealing with kids so I'll make sure it'll go to an adult lol.

Top Bottom