• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck OLED Announced: Coming November 16

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
From Richard:

"This is the most expensive and transformative mid-generation console refresh I have ever seen. Valve description of this being the definitive version of the first generation Steam Deck isn't only bang on the money, it makes me think on how good the next generation Steam Deck is gonna be."

Thanks god for Valve, seems like one of the only company out there who understand and listen to their consumers. They're not perfect of course, but it's refreshing to hear comments like these in the ocean of bad and dumb decisions the industry has taken in the last few years.
I mean, did they really need to listen to customer feedback in order to realize people wanted an OLED screen? Anybody with eyes could tell plain as day that the screen was the worst part of the hardware and that it looks like shit especially compared to Switch OLED. It’s not like this is some bold pro-consumer move.

If they really wanted to be pro-consumer they should have a trade-in program for first gen owners.

Leonidas

My 512 GB LCD model ended up costing me less than $400 since I got a 64 GB on sale and upgraded the internal drive to 512 myself.

I don't think I could justify paying ~$590 (after tax) for a handheld, even though it has an OLED, that's almost $190 more than my current 512 GB Deck...

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I mean, did they really need to listen to customer feedback in order to realize people wanted an OLED screen? Anybody with eyes could tell plain as day that the screen was the worst part of the hardware and that it looks like shit especially compared to Switch OLED. It’s not like this is some bold pro-consumer move.

If they really wanted to be pro-consumer they should have a trade-in program for first gen owners.
Yeah, it's not the most brave or interesting move. In general OLED should've been standard for handheld gaming systems since the New 3DS. However, this is still progress, not to mention all the other additions.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I kinda thought the naming of Switch OLED basically being Switch OLED was strange, and now Valve are copying that naming convention as well. Cool.

I think it's great to have more devices to choose from.

Reactions: GHG

j0hnnix

Hmm I have the original Steam Deck and was debating the Legion GO.. ugh..

Decide American Horror Story GIF by AHS

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Yeah, it's not the most brave or interesting move. In general OLED should've been standard for handheld gaming systems since the New 3DS. However, this is still progress, not to mention all the other additions.
Yeah don’t get me wrong I’m still glad to see it. Gonna put my 512 GB first gen on EBay tonight or tomorrow, hopefully beat the flood of used decks.

Darsxx82

It is abundantly clear that Valve commitment to hardware is serious and will be continued over time. It's great to see the competitiveness between hand PCs.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
From Richard:

"This is the most expensive and transformative mid-generation console refresh I have ever seen. Valve description of this being the definitive version of the first generation Steam Deck isn't only bang on the money, it makes me think on how good the next generation Steam Deck is gonna be."
I have to call BS on this. X1X was far more transformative than this. This is more like Xbox One to Xbox One S. X1X was probably a bigger upgrade than what we'll see going from Deck to Deck 2.

From DF's RDR2 mid-gen comparison:
By extension, the resolution scaling between Xbox One and X is unprecedented: the enhanced console is designed to quadruple the base machine's pixel-pushing output but instead, Red Dead Redemption 2 is delivering a 6.2x boost to resolution, with further improvements on top of that.

No antiglare is actually a plus for me, I like my glossy OLED's haha.
Don‘t expect antiglare finish to be a matte display, it ain‘t. Most reviewers who had both didn‘t notice much of a difference. It‘s more marketing than the difference between being able to play in bright sunlight or not, the 512gb Steam Deck also reflects sunlight like ass.

the switch oled was such a fucking upgrade bro
OLED really is a game changer. It makes even your old games feel new again. I went from Switch being “okay” and used only in docked mode to ”wow” and being used everywhere in portable mode.

On top of that, this new Deck has true HDR with 1000nit highlights. This thing is now better than a gaming laptop.

LordOfChaos

Some refurbs back in stock but I'm having trouble getting it through on any payment method

Edit: Got one, cc called me

Last edited:

TheStam

I'm gonna try to ask again, got a reddit thread closed by the mods.. Auto HDR can that or something similar work on Linux? It would be cool to have fake-HDR with such a great screen for older games and indies as that's what I mostly would be playing on the Steam Deck, but they usually don't have native HDR support.

Last edited:
The screen from my LCD steam deck is so bad, I seriously thought about buying a second OLED switch, installing a modchip (which is an unbelievable difficult process) or let it install by someone else (there‘s no way anybody will do that for less than 150€) just to be able to stream my PS5 to an OLED screen in the bed. It would‘ve been worth 500€ for me. Now, there‘s no need for those headaches anymore. Streaming PS5, playing oldschool games, streaming xbox game pass games, all on the same handheld, buying it day 1 is a no brainer, because it combines all the great things from my switch with the even greater things from my steam deck.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
This is when I buy consoles. Anytime an upgrade of an existing model comes out, you can always expect the predecessor to drop some percentage prior or the weeks following. Seeing the discount helped this cheapskate. S-weet. The OLED's going to be a nice upgrade for those with the current.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
OLED really is a game changer. It makes even your old games feel new again. I went from Switch being “okay” and used only in docked mode to ”wow” and being used everywhere in portable mode.

On top of that, this new Deck has true HDR with 1000nit highlights. This thing is now better than a gaming laptop.
i know right,

also fuck you for pushing me further over the line for shit i really don't need but want

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
closest analog we have to a Deck 2 in terms of power would be the ROG Ally- do you think the X1 to X1X is larger of a jump than that?
In GOW the Ally could basically match the Deck's 720p performance at 1080p. That's a 2.25x increase compared to the X1X getting a 6.2x increase in RDR2 plus better settings.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Lots of great upgrades there. I wonder what's the price for the 512GB one.

And yeah, that limited edition steam deck looks dope.

image.png
I'm not into handhelds, but looking at the price changes and the newer Steam Decks have some improvements as well, thats a nice bump. So someone now can get a 512gb OLED deck with refinements and it's also $100 cheaper than the old version. Thats pretty solid.

Day one for me. I absolutely love my Deck, it's easily the best handheld I've owned. I use it all the time to catch up on indies, older AAA games, or for streaming the latest games. The screen alone is a huge upgrade, the rest of the improvements are icing on the cake.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
walter white GIF

Fair enough
The X1X effectively had the goal of being 4x times as powerful, or basically increasing resolution from 1080p to 4K at the same settings, although it often exceeded that goal. For Deck 2 to match that it would need to be able to play a game like GOW at 1600p at the same performance the Deck does at 800p.

Deck 2 also has to operate within the power consumption limits that Valve puts on the system to balance battery life. For instance, the Aya Neo Kun runs a 2560x1600 resolution screen, but it has a 54W max TDP. Deck SoC has a TDP of 15W, while total system power consumption will typically max out around 26-28W.

Anyway, this is just to say that I think it's hyperbole to say the Deck OLED is the "most transformative" mid-gen refresh in a world where the X1X happened.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Frankly, I don't understand how anyone can want to play AA or AAA on a portable machine, it's really not meant for it and it's much more fun on a home console or PC...
works a lot better than you'd think. Nintendo games are around AA production values and people eat them up portably.

Last edited:
They should at least have an upgrade program from the OG model to the OLED since they are releasing this so soon.
Well they should, but they don‘t have to, because even without it, they‘re STILL the only company that listens to their customers and improves where it makes sense. Looking at you, Playstation Portal!

If I order on the 16th, how long will I have to wait until it arrives if it ships? I had to wait a few months last time…

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Well they should, but they don‘t have to, because even without it, they‘re STILL the only company that listens to their customers and improves where it makes sense. Looking at you, Playstation Portal!

If I order on the 16th, how long will I have to wait until it arrives if it ships? I had to wait a few months last time…

I imagine they'll tell you your shipping window when you place the order/pre-order. To me it sounds like now the units are ready to go on the 16th, so depending on how fast your pre-order maybe will determine how soon you see it.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Digital Foundry video on the new Steam Deck OLED is UP!!!

Their video is really full of praises

“In terms of image quality, this is the best I’ve seen on any handheld, easily”

“A lot of thoughts has gone into this stuffs, and it all combined to make the new Steam Deck the best handheld out there, bar none”

“You cannot go wrong with the new Steam Deck”

I couldn't disagree more as a 16:10 lcd owner for years.
Also. Eyes have better fov on sides rather than height. 16:10 makes no freaking sense.

and if "god I hate gamers" then what are you doing here? On forum with only gamers I presume?
Are you not a gamer? Or do you consider yourself to be better. Someon more than a "stupid gamer"?
wtf man

If you're a "gamer" and you don't hate "gamers" then I'd argue you're not really a gamer after all. Gamers are by and large one of the most immature groups of sheep lol

Your post makes no sense. It’s that mindset that allows companies to take advantage of consumers.

“that listens to their customers” … pretty sure people wanted an OLED in the first model.

They knew some of there customers would buy the same product twice which is why they did this.

I don’t see the harm in doing a ugrade program even greedy companies like Apple does that with the new iPhones.

Also I don’t get why you mentioned the PlayStation portal, Sony released multiple handhelds that didn’t do well so they are doing something different.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
DF was talking about the significant software improvements as well. Definitely get what everyone has been talking about with regard to long term support from Valve. I like what Asus has done with Armoury Crate but somehow I don't see them keeping up with Valve. And Microsoft......someone still needs to wake them up and realize Windows ain't that great on anything other than desktop PCs.

How are multiplayer games on these machines? Not necessarily to be competitive, but at least have fun?
vxzWxHf.jpg

Mario Kart Double Dash was a lot of fun with waifu! 😅

And it‘s super simple to get it running with Dolphin and two Xbox controllers.

But you‘re probably asking about online multiplayer games, are you? I only tried Gears of War once through Edge/Xbox game pass, didn‘t feel like it was super laggy despite being constantly connected to a host overseas.

Last edited:
Top Bottom