• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck OLED Announced: Coming November 16

Aaand I literally just bought a 512gb OG Steam Deck LAST WEEK. And now THIS?! Oh and I had to import it as its not officially sold in my country so I paid waay more than RRP.

I could have waited a week and imported the OLED 512gb model. 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

And no I can't even trade it in for cash. Man I miss CEX.

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh whyyyyyyyyyy
😖😖😖😖😖😖😖😖😖😖

Topher

Gold Member
Aaand I literally just bought a 512gb OG Steam Deck LAST WEEK. And now THIS?! Oh and I had to import it as its not officially sold in my country so I paid waay more than RRP.

😖😖😖😖😖😖😖😖😖😖
Matthew Broderick GIF

Oled 90Hz Screen
HDR
Better Battery
Better performances
Lighter
Quieter
Easier to open and repair

and all of this:

Cega7HZ.jpg

It's alright.

This is an example of a company putting out a product born from passion for gaming, unlike the big 3 where everything they release feels like it was driven by cutting costs in order to get every penny they can. I could be wrong but Steam doesn't come across to me as anti consumer like MS, Sony, and Nintendo do. You can see that with their refund policy too which is infinitely more generous and easy to obtain.

I'm a console gamer and for the last 20 years things have gotten worse and worse. Steam respects gamers and console is like a cesspool of rip offs and DRM. Look at Sony and Nintendo with analog drifting. Look at Switch Oled which cost $50 more with barely any upgrades other than the screen. Also, i bet the Switch 2 will lack an Oled screen ...we don't even know if it'll be backwards compatible with Switch's library ...Look at the constant fuckery from MS with how often they lie and the flip flop they pulled trying to act like the Series X is intended to be their "mid gen upgrade" lol.

Worst of all with Steam you know your digital library is protected. On console there's a real fear that our libraries will go away 10 years from now. Look how Sony is making their PS5 slim require an online connection ...

Leonidas

😖😖😖😖😖😖😖😖😖😖
Should have bought the 64 GB and upgraded to 512 GB, then you would have saved a lot of money.

I still feel good about my 512 GB Steam Deck (upgraded from 64 GB) since it was almost $200 cheaper than this new OLED model :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

This is an example of a company putting out a product born from passion for gaming, unlike the big 3 where everything they release feels like it was driven by cutting costs in order to get every penny they can. I could be wrong but Steam doesn't come across to me as anti consumer like MS, Sony, and Nintendo do. You can see that with their refund policy too which is infinitely more generous and easy to obtain.

I'm a console gamer and for the last 20 years things have gotten worse and worse. Steam respects gamers and console is like a cesspool of rip offs and DRM. Look at Sony and Nintendo with analog drifting. Look at Switch Oled which cost $50 more with barely any upgrades other than the screen. Also, i bet the Switch 2 will lack an Oled screen ...we don't even know if it'll be backwards compatible with Switch's library ...Look at the constant fuckery from MS with how often they lie and the flip flop they pulled trying to act like the Series X is intended to be their "mid gen upgrade" lol.

Worst of all with Steam you know your digital library is protected. On console there's a real fear that our libraries will go away 10 years from now. Look how Sony is making their PS5 slim require an online connection ...
Well to be fair, PS5 fat also required an online connection. I said it in a different thread, Microsoft was lynched last generation for thinking about having a console that has always on DRM, now basically every console manufacturer has shit like that in their consoles. And you sum up completely what I, a exclusive console gamer for well over 25 years, am thinking about the current state of consoles (they suck) vs PC (which used to suck, but PC fraction seems to be doing way better these days).

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
I just watched this video about all FF games compatibility on the SD, pretty good video overall, I'm glad to hear FF12 runs at 60fps, and even FF14 runs surprisingly good, and will only be better on the OLED.

Should have bought the 64 GB and upgraded to 512 GB, then you would have saved a lot of money.

I still feel good about my 512 GB Steam Deck (upgraded from 64 GB) since it was almost $200 cheaper than this new OLED model :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
I did. Well I bought a 64gb model which was being sold as a 512gb upgraded ssd Steam Deck. Still paid mega money for it due to costs of the shop importing it AND tax on top of those premiums. Valve really need to make it officially sold internationally. It's ridiculous that they don't. I don't want to have to import a Steam Deck 2 when that comes out.

Last edited:
I bought a steam deck earlier this year. I will sell it and buy an OLED model early next year. I wish I had the money now for that gorgeous LE variant.
By that point you may as well keep the OG model. I imagine the Steam Deck 2 wouldn't be too far off.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
I bought a steam deck earlier this year. I will sell it and buy an OLED model early next year. I wish I had the money now for that gorgeous LE variant.

It always sucks to have to spend more money on a product that works - like a PS4 Pro when the PS4 or a PS5 Pro when the PS5 works - etc... but even though the system performance isn't really upgraded like in Pro consoles, that OLED display is every bit as good as a fps bump IMO.

And if you're actively using the device, the way I see it, you're getting your money's worth and then some, especially if you consider it's a visual upgrade that instantly improves every game you own, and also if you actively buy newer games, it's just ~2-3 games before you break even, for someone who games a lot they might buy 15-20 games a year (1-2 month), so I think in the big picture the upgraded screen is pretty logical if you value your time (and obviously find the option of significantly better visuals worthwhile).

Bry0

This has to mean steam OS 3.5 is dropping soon right?? For those of you keeping your LCD model, they boost saturation by default on the new OS (you can switch to the preview channel to see it) and it is a noticeable improvement.

MAtgS

😖😖😖😖😖😖😖😖😖😖
We thank you for your sacrifice. Now the rest of us can enjoy the perks of you being jinxed.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

😖😖😖😖😖😖😖😖😖😖
I agree it was bs for them to downplay the possibility of a OLED screen then stealth drop the system out of nowhere.

chaseroni

So one reviewer is suggesting not to go for the top-tier model because that anti-glare surface is downgrading the OLED. I think I'll go for the middle one, I'm okay with having a little more reflective screen (I don't really game in brightly lit rooms anyway) but better blacks and more color pop.
What review is this? I'd like to hear some more

Valve getting Steam Deck OLED out before Super Switch is a good move, but they will still need to address the hardware power at some point. If the Super Switch rumors are true, it will be noticeably and meaningfully superior to the Steam Deck.

Minsc

Gold Member
Valve getting Steam Deck OLED out before Super Switch is a good move, but they will still need to address the hardware power at some point. If the Super Switch rumors are true, it will be noticeably and meaningfully superior to the Steam Deck.

This is completely expected. I don't know if it will do HDR like the Deck or have OLED though. Hopefully all three (stronger, OLED and HDR). It'll also be 3-4 years newer and hopefully have DLSS 3.X. So a great handheld and a win for handheld gamers. Then eventually Deck 2 will release and we'll back to square one again, with Deck 2 faster than Switch 2.

TaroYamada

Really excited to upgrade from my 64GB unit. I'll sell that one to help fund this purchase after the fact. The Deck is the greatest piece of hardware in the past decade and people who aren't checking it out are just missing out like crazy.

Dr.D00p

Damn. Just checked, for the very first time, how compatible my library of games is on the deck and only 35 are fully compatible with over 170 marked as yellow and 43 red.

Not good.

SenkiDala

So one reviewer is suggesting not to go for the top-tier model because that anti-glare surface is downgrading the OLED. I think I'll go for the middle one, I'm okay with having a little more reflective screen (I don't really game in brightly lit rooms anyway) but better blacks and more color pop.
Dave2D (I think it's the correct name) also mention this in his review. It is logical with an anti glare filter the colors are less "dazzling".

About my opinion about all this :
Recently I wanted a Steamdeck (as I mentioned already I don't have any PC anymore, just a PC for work that I won't use for personal means and my personal MacBook Air M1 which is way more than enough for all my needs, outside of gaming). But I wanted to wait Black Friday for a discount, in France base model was 419€ so I wanted around 370€. As I prefer the OLED version obviously (I've already been blown away by my LGC1 and the Switch OLED) but there goes my 370€ expected, yes the original ones are at that prices with even better storages but I don't want a basic one now that an OLED one with smaller bezels and better battery life exists, but the OLED one is starting at 569€ so yes it's a good price for what it is but it's 200€ more than what I expected to spend. :D
Also I worry it'll be sold out in few seconds on the 16th...

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Dave2D (I think it's the correct name) also mention this in his review. It is logical with an anti glare filter the colors are less "dazzling".

About my opinion about all this :
Recently I wanted a Steamdeck (as I mentioned already I don't have any PC anymore, just a PC for work that I won't use for personal means and my personal MacBook Air M1 which is way more than enough for all my needs, outside of gaming). But I wanted to wait Black Friday for a discount, in France base model was 419€ so I wanted around 370€. As I prefer the OLED version obviously (I've already been blown away by my LGC1 and the Switch OLED) but there goes my 370€ expected, yes the original ones are at that prices with even better storages but I don't want a basic one now that an OLED one with smaller bezels and better battery life exists, but the OLED one is starting at 569€ so yes it's a good price for what it is but it's 200€ more than what I expected to spend. :D
Also I worry it'll be sold out in few seconds on the 16th...

Dave2D was the reviewer I had in mind. I still have my old Deck and a PC with 4090 on board so I'm not in a rush to get this new one. Like you've said, most likely it will sell out in seconds and I don't want to get hyped and try to get it on day one just to be disappointed. I'll get it in December (hopefully) or whenever it's largely available in the EU.

Last edited:
Dave2D was the reviewer I had in mind. I still have my old Deck and a PC with 4090 on board so I'm not in a rush to get this new one. Like you've said, most likely it will sell out in seconds and I don't want to get hyped and try to get it on day one just to be disappointed. I'll get it in December (hopefully) or whenever it's largely available in the EU.
Although the first batch of Steam Deck was sold out pretty fast, it was nowhere as bad as with the PS5. I made a calendar entry to remind me at 18:55 to spam the F5 button, guess chances are pretty high that I‘ll snag one.

Croga

My most played system for the last year since I got mine, my only complaint with the original was the screen, which was quite jarring to move to after a session on the OLED Switch. Vibrant Deck helps, but OLED is night and day.

I'll be all over this lol, give it to me!

I wonder if they‘ve made it easier to do a shell replacement, I never replaced the shell on my og SD because removing the screen of the SD is terrible, it‘s super tightly glued to the shell and there‘s a little bit of hope that Valve improved switching the SDs housing. I‘d definitely change it to a white or a translucent purple one.

Last edited:

SomeGit

Physical too, in a way. We still don’t know if Switch 2 will support Switch 1 in physical games, if it doesn’t it’s a gigantic kick in the teeth.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

😖😖😖😖😖😖😖😖😖😖
yep. Valve would do so well to do a trade in program

Darko

Justbought the legion go one hour before this was announced…not ready to drop another $1000 cad on a gaming device.

If I did though .. I’d get the limited clear one. :)

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Justbought the legion go one hour before this was announced…not ready to drop another $1000 cad on a gaming device.

If I did though .. I’d get the limited clear one. :)
The only things youll be missing out on are steamos, oled and 90hz. I think that legion go will serve you well for the time being

Darko

I saw a review that said not to buy the 1tb model.. screen looked better with a screen protector on it (color wise)

Darko

The only things youll be missing out on are steamos, oled and 90hz. I think that legion go will serve you well for the time being
I am missing out older games that technically work on the go but have issues because of the portrait screen used ..

Lots of games (sonic transformed) worked perfectly on my deck (that I sold to buy the go) 😂

I may buy it.. but not anytime soon.

Edit: the clear one looks ace tho

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I am missing out older games that technically work on the go but have issues because of the portrait screen used ..

Lots of games (sonic transformed) worked perfectly on my deck (that I sold to buy the go) 😂

I may buy it
The deck also uses a portrait screen. I think you'll be fine here.

Filben

What games do you guys usually play on your steam deck?
Indie games, 2D games, old games and emulated games. No AAA visual fency games because the SD gets too loud, hot and battery drain is too much.

Stradew Valley e.g. runs for 6h-7h until the battery runs out.

Top Bottom