• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck OLED Announced: Coming November 16

AndrewRyan

Really nice refresh: HDR, 1000nits, larger battery. Does it support VRR too? Super tempting but plan to keep my current deck for now. For sure not going to upgrade to hall-effect sensors or a larger ssd now.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
For anyone who doesn’t have an OLED Switch or have never tried an OLED handheld, the difference between LCD and OLED is absolutely massive. I almost never use my current Steam Deck because of how pathetic the screen looks compared to my Switch.

And if anyone is concerned about the 720p screen (well, 800p I guess), don’t be. You’ll be so blown away by the quality of the panel that it won’t even matter.

This is a huge win for anyone who was on the fence about the Steam Deck but still haven’t taken the plunge.

Know that I’m fucking furiously jealous of you people.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Man that is super impressive. I'm so happy for them to be doing this and continuing the journey on these handhelds. They made all the right corrections enough for even person like me to want to buy one. It is so fucking cool and we know how awesome the steam deck is and I cannot be more excited and vouch for this thing even more. Bob is just killing it with these things.

Topher

Gold Member
Not for you obviously.

Now if Forspoken was supported by Steam deck.....

Trying Not To Laugh Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

SenkiDala

Oh God I'm so happy ! Since few days I want a Steamdeck to couple it with my consoles, I don't have a PC anymore and except builds for friends I don't want bother anymore and I thought "damn I'd like to access my library again, let's get a Steamdeck I'll watch for a Black Friday discount" and boom this releases, I want this one now. <3

For those who have the traditional one, no way to switch the screen to the OLED version ?

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
So one reviewer is suggesting not to go for the top-tier model because that anti-glare surface is downgrading the OLED. I think I'll go for the middle one, I'm okay with having a little more reflective screen (I don't really game in brightly lit rooms anyway) but better blacks and more color pop.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
So a better battery life is what I was waiting for...

But since the limited edition is USA or Canada only not interested, I will wait for Steam Deck 2 now.

Apocryphon

Im in for the 512. I love my deck but more battery like and OLED is something I’ll go for. The transparent shell of the 1TB is very tempting but I think I’ll pass on it as I’m not feeling the matte screen.

Topher

Gold Member
In for the 512GB version. No anti-glare for me thank you very much.

The slight performance improvement is also a nice surprise.

Too bad they don't give you the option for no anti-glare on the higher end. I'd probably spring for the limited edition, but think I'll end up with teh 512GB myself. Love my Rog Ally, but that OLED is just too good to pass up.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
~200 PPI 'fucking crap' for gaming, lol.
rofif rofif , what screen size you use for your gaming monitor/TV? 55 inch? That's like 80PPI at 4k. I'd say it's fucking crap.
Dude 1280x800 on 7" tablet is ass. That's what first google nexus tablet had in 2012 and oculus dk1 used it. It was horrible.
I had steam deck and it didn't look good. I am long past looking at ppi numbers. This doesn't tell the whole story.

And yeah, I used to be a ppi whore. I had 23 and 27" 1080p monitors, upgraded to 4k" 27" monitor and my biggest fear going to 48" oled was ppi. It's shit on paper but it looks fantastic. I don't see the pixels at all. Math doesn't add up but looks way better than ppi would suggest. Different pixels layout and shape + further distance.

just to let me finish. yeah I did comparison images and all back in the day. same effective scaling.

4k vs 1080p. both 27". So youc an imagine I was afraid going for oled but it looks nothin like that 1080p image.

LXZuinx.jpg

PsaDLFP.jpg

vs oled now. And mind you it's DOWN THERE in the corner lol. Its further away

ZygjwcX.jpg

Mind you it's a crappy quick pic and the scaling is smaller than it was on 27" test (so harder to make it loook better)
But that does not look like 1080p 24" ppi lol which it effectively almost is.

Look how this shit looks in game. PPI is meaningless nowadays.
Bw4FjUM.jpg

lsDVceI.jpg

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

In for the 512GB version. No anti-glare for me thank you very much.

The slight performance improvement is also a nice surprise.
The king just got stronger. They effectively wiped out my interest in the Ally and legion go with one swoop.

----

Also according to LTT these screens come from the same supplier Nintendo uses for the switch OLED, which is great news as that screen is gorgeous.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Dude 1280x800 on 7" tablet is ass. That's what first google nexus tablet had in 2012 and oculus dk1 used it. It was horrible.
I had steam deck and it didn't look good. I am long past looking at ppi numbers. This doesn't tell the whole story.

And yeah, I used to be a ppi whore. I had 23 and 27" 1080p monitors, upgraded to 4k" 27" monitor and my biggest fear going to 48" oled was ppi. It's shit on paper but it looks fantastic. I don't see the pixels at all. Math doesn't add up but looks way better than ppi would suggest. Different pixels layout and shape + further distance.

just to let me finish. yeah I did comparison images and all back in the day. same effective scaling.

4k vs 1080p. both 27". So youc an imagine I was afraid going for oled but it looks nothin like that 1080p image.

LXZuinx.jpg

PsaDLFP.jpg

vs oled now. And mind you it's DOWN THERE in the corner lol. Its further away

ZygjwcX.jpg

Mind you it's a crappy quick pic and the scaling is smaller than it was on 27" test (so harder to make it loook better)
But that does not look like 1080p 24" ppi lol which it effectively almost is.

Look how this shit looks in game. PPI is meaningless nowadays.
Bw4FjUM.jpg

lsDVceI.jpg

200 PPI for games is more than enough when looking from a normal viewing distance. Unless you have very short arms, then I can sympathize with you.

There's a reason why reviewers are not complaining about the 'resolution'. Even the OG Steam Deck looks sharp as hell. I remember the first game I tried on it, Fallout New Vegas, I was blown away. Resolution was never the problem, screen quality was.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
200 PPI for games is more than enough when looking from a normal viewing distance. Unless you have very short arms, then I can sympathize with you.

There's a reason why reviewers are not complaining about the 'resolution'. Even the OG Steam Deck looks sharp as hell. I remember the first game I tried on it, Fallout New Vegas, I was blown away. Resolution was never the problem, screen quality was.
idk. I played my deck tucked in, with knees up when lying down. Definity needed a lot of AA to make it look decent.
It really doesn't work (the 200ppi calculation).
By that logic,

a 7" 512x384 screen will look the same as 24" 1080p screen. Obviously one will be pixelated af

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Really nice refresh: HDR, 1000nits, larger battery. Does it support VRR too? Super tempting but plan to keep my current deck for now. For sure not going to upgrade to hall-effect sensors or a larger ssd now.
keep in mind the original deck was designed for modularity and repairability in mind.

You can get some of the biggest benefits (larger battery, better screen) and save money as opposed to buying a whole new unit. assuming those upgrades are cheaper than buying a brand new system, and that they are compatible.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
idk. I played my deck tucked in, with knees up when lying down. Definity needed a lot of AA to make it look decent.
It really doesn't work (the 200ppi calculation).
By that logic,

a 7" 512x384 screen will look the same as 24" 1080p screen. Obviously one will be pixelated af

I'm playing Arkham Origins right now. When I go to main menu, I can't see any pixelation on the text. When I go to system UI, I can't see any pixelation on UI elements.

Would a higher resolution be better? Yes. Is this good enough for gaming purposes? Well, there's a reason nobody is complaining about it. Yes, it is. It also helps with power management and battery life.

This is just another example of you looking for for something to complain instead of celebrating a company that actually cares and put effort into their product.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

keep in mind the original deck was designed for modularity and repairability in mind.

You can get some of the biggest benefits (larger battery, better screen) and save money as opposed to buying a whole new unit. assuming those upgrades are cheaper than buying a brand new system, and that they are compatible.
I'm actually not so sure since apparently they have reconfigured the internals some, will be interesting to see if the new screen is compatible with the older deck.

GHG

Wonder if you can upgrade the original with the new OLED screen?

I'm sure someone will try but it won't be straightforward.

The oled model will have different mounting points for the screen since the thickness dimensions are much smaller for the OLED.

Sleepwalker

I'm sure someone will try but it won't be straightforward.

The oled model will have different mounting points for the screen since the thickness dimensions are much smaller for the OLED.

Yep, watching some teardowns it appears they have rearranged the internals, changed the screws and made some changes in the way they go into the case. Also a screen replacement is the biggest ordeal when it comes to deck repairs, it's extremely involved and not that friendly for the common folk. I'm sure some tinkerers will pull it off. But for me I'd rather upgrade and get the cooling, better wifi, etc.

Top Bottom