• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | Discussion Thread - Everyone's favorite PC Platform

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The Wolf Among Us absolutely nails the atmosphere and aesthetic and blends it perfectly with a Noir-style mystery - all while being set in a fictionalized "modern day fairy tale creatures" setting.

When I played the game when it first came out it was interesting enough to get me to start reading the comics they're based on. Now that I have, there are a lot of details in the game that I missed the first time around.

My only complaint really is that this game definitely follows the modern Telltale formula where it's essentially a visual novel with very little actual gameplay. But it's still great, and I'm definitely pumped to be getting another season.

Anteater

first 2 eps for The Wolf Among Us were dope then it got sorta slow

i need to get back to it

edit: actually i might just play it after tales from the borderlands

Nilua

I really want to like the new Tomb Raider games, but I don't think I would. I do enjoy cinematic third person shooters at times, but in those, story is a biiig draw for me, and apparently they suck in these. It's a shame, because it actually seems more fun to play than Uncharted, which I liked, but I really wish it would be better. Is something with the style of Uncharted and better gameplay too much to ask?

Story-based TPS are kinda disappearing, aren't they? I can't think of many recent examples, now that I think about it

jholmes

I'm thinking about buying into the $1 tier on the Stardock Humble Bundle just to get Political Machine as I like the series and didn't get the new one yet, but I just have absolutely zero interest in anything else in that bundle.

zkylon

zkylewd
wolf among us has been praised for years
yea but this time i'm hearing it from someone with a cool opinion

Flinging arrows in rice of tom braider is pretty fun tho

yeah but probably not enough to carry the whole game for me

The Wolf Among Us absolutely nails the atmosphere and aesthetic and blends it perfectly with a Noir-style mystery - all while being set in a fictionalized "modern day fairy tale creatures" setting.

When I played the game when it first came out it was interesting enough to get me to start reading the comics they're based on. Now that I have, there are a lot of details in the game that I missed the first time around.

My only complaint really is that this game definitely follows the modern Telltale formula where it's essentially a visual novel with very little actual gameplay. But it's still great, and I'm definitely pumped to be getting another season.

i don't mind little gameplay, sometimes i just want a story

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Gotta ask, but why would this kill Nioh's sales? Is the combat better or something?

Not being a smartass, I legit don't know about the game's reputation.

he was joking

fallout

My only complaint really is that this game definitely follows the modern Telltale formula where it's essentially a visual novel with very little actual gameplay.
I dunno, the times that they do try gameplay, it feel clunky and awkward. I'd generally prefer them to stick more to the visual novel method.

Vibranium

Banned
I really want to like the new Tomb Raider games, but I don't think I would. I do enjoy cinematic third person shooters at times, but in those, story is a biiig draw for me, and apparently they suck in these. It's a shame, because it actually seems more fun to play than Uncharted, which I liked, but I really wish it would be better. Is something with the style of Uncharted and better gameplay too much to ask?

Story-based TPS are kinda disappearing, aren't they? I can't think of many recent examples, now that I think about it

What I really want is a new James Bond AAA TPS game in the style of Uncharted/Everything or Nothing. It's a damn shame the license is just floating without a talented studio to use it. Doing crazy spy/stealth stuff with big setpieces would be perfect for Bond.

zkylon

zkylewd
hard to believe nier 2 was this year

i think i'm gonna try and play it all again relatively soon-ish cos i want a second take on it

i'm too lukewarm on it for what the general response has been and i've had it happen that i've drastically changed my mind on a second try

I thought TWAU had a great atmosphere and story but the way choices work and how they ended the game was not very good at all.

Every choice you make in the game will necessarily annoy or hurt someone by design. You are always forced to choose one of two bad outcomes. This wouldn't be a bad thing on it's own because you can tell a dark, grim kind of story where the player feels a sort of hopelessness while going through it. The problem is that
at the very end Telltale took the laziest possible way out by literally lining up all the characters and throwing your choices back in your face. No matter what choice you made, someone would have been hurt by it and they stand there trying to make you feel bad for it. This does not work in games. You cannot make a player feel bad for something you forced them to do. This is the same reason that Spec Ops white phosphorous moment felt so corny when they were going for a whole other emotion.

yuraya

This year has been really strong for games. Especially on PC. Probably one of the strongest all around years that I can remember. Seems like every other week a good game gets released. And there is still 3 more months remaining too wth.

With the new Humble Monthly coming on Friday, Humble are offering $10 account credit right now if you take out an annual subscription ($132). This includes if you renew/extend an existing subscription and is valid until 10am PST on Friday.

https://twitter.com/humble/status/915607512208101376

Also, another new bundle today, another RPG Maker Bundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/software/rpg-maker-software

$1
RPG Maker VX Ace
Remnants of Isolation
Pale Echoes
Fantasy Starter Pack

Beat the average
RPG Maker VX
Antagonist
Skyborn
Sci-Fi Starter Pack
More next week

$15
RPG Maker 2000
RPG Maker 2003
Last Word
Retro vs. Modern Starter Pack

$50
RPG Maker MV
Echoes of Aetheria
RPG Maker MV Starter Pack
We had an RPG Maker bundle earlier, I wonder how many repeats this will get?

This year has been really strong for games. Especially on PC. Probably one of the strongest all around years that I can remember. Seems like every other week a good game gets released. And there is still 3 more months remaining too wth.

I'm trying to stick to mario odyssey for october, Nioh in november and xenoblade 2 in december for the rest of the year but divinity 2 looks great, steamworld dig 2 keeps looking at me in my wishlist, assassins creed origins looks better every preview, Wolfenstein II looks like a fun time and I'm not looking at evil within 2 until I finish 1 but it would be a great halloween game(trying to make RE7 that game for now). Just too many games!! Gotta hold strong!

Pooya

You can get Minion Masters for free with the link nl_Kripp has on his twitch stream right now. It's normally $5. dunno if it's ok to paste link here.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Battle Chasers still shows up in the top 10 for me (7th), thats not too bad I guess. Hopefully it does decent for them, its fantastic and I would love another one.

neonglow

Is there a quick way to figure out which games in my Steam library are shovelware from people like Zonitron Productions and Silicon Echo Studios? I want to permanently remove them all from my collection.

Battle Chasers still shows up in the top 10 for me (7th), thats not too bad I guess. Hopefully it does decent for them, its fantastic and I would love another one.

It's the 4th for me, Cuphead is 1st.

The game's good reception is starting to get unbearable for me. I need this game, but I still need a confirmation on this:
How many cities/hubs are there? Is this a grand adventure style where you get to travel from one town to another?

I think I've read somewhere before that there's only one main hub in this game and we get to explore to all directions for the entire game. Hopefully I'm remembering it wrong though.

Deques

Is there a quick way to figure out which games in my Steam library are shovelware from people like Zonitron Productions and Silicon Echo Studios? I want to permanently remove them all from my collection.

Would be nice if there is a list showing all joke games listed on Steam. Even better if the list could connect to your Steam library and list all owned crap games

Monooboe

So if I buy Hitman Intro pack first, and then the upgrade pack, that's essentially the same as the complete pack right? Seem like the cheapest option, cdkeys has the intro pack for 3.41€ and upgrade for 11.39€.

Deques

Looks like MSI announced two controllers which works with PC, Android and "popular consoles".

SMBvgFyCUFlx6M9N.jpg

Looks like carbon copy of the Xbone controller.

https://www.techpowerup.com/237542/msi-announces-force-gc30-and-gc20-game-controllers

Lanrutcon

The game's good reception is starting to get unbearable for me. I need this game, but I still need a confirmation on this:

Pretty sure there's one main town, and an expanding map (with the town roughly at the center of it).

I'm having a blast. The inclusion of dungeons with difficulty levels for better loot and stuff give me something to look forward to when I want to take a break from the story.

Looks like MSI announced two controllers which works with PC, Android and "popular consoles.

Looks like carbon copy of the Xbone controller.

Works on Android?

YmMtEuB.gif

Pretty sure there's one main town, and an expanding map (with the town roughly at the center of it).

I'm having a blast. The inclusion of dungeons with difficulty levels for better loot and stuff give me something to look forward to when I want to take a break from the story.

That's a huge bummer for me. I love various towns and hubs in my RPGs.

Deques

Any confirmation on which "popular consoles" it is compatible with? With the buttons, I'm guessing just Xbox One and 360?

Couldn't find any info about which popular consoles are. But I guess MS consoles only because of the button layout and the entire controller design is pretty much same as xbone controller.

IndieGala has a really weird bundle up now
https://www.indiegala.com/store/product/darksiders-franchise-pack/18777

Both remastered Darksiders games, One Finger Death Punch and Silence of the Sleep for 10 euro

Monooboe

Speaking of controllers, I have to say the Steam controller has started to grow on me immensely! I still haven't used it for 2D sidescrolling games, but for Civ, cRPG and even FPS it's been quite nice.

Rhaknar

How many cities/hubs are there? Is this a grand adventure style where you get to travel from one town to another?

I think I've read somewhere before that there's only one main hub in this game and we get to explore to all directions for the entire game. Hopefully I'm remembering it wrong though.

one hub yeah, map is pretty big tho. The overworld is kinda like super mario's overworld really, or a boardgame.

It continues

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 23 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Acorn Assault: Rodent Revolution -- MB-1B008F308A2674EF - Taken by Baron_Calamity
Belladonna -- MB-AC0C1D113A6C67B8 - Taken by Dec
Bloodnet -- MB-5E5AD9DD21D4A951 - Taken by Ludens
Blue Estate The Game -- MB-53520F3C09A58E2E - Taken by abelasabel
Dustoff Heli Rescue -- MB-7DBCAEC8E53D354E - Taken by sadblob
Eradicator -- MB-3224897C70960548 - Taken by Vuze
F-117A Nighthawk Stealth Fighter 2.0 -- MB-62F1F478D0F906DA - Taken by MaxiLive
Forest Warrior -- MB-4F82A4C6104CDFDD - Taken by Jalal
Gunship! -- MB-010D895C892859AE
Hyperspace Invaders II: Pixel Edition -- MB-27067E69931DDED4 - Taken by Kifimbo
Magical Brickout -- MB-764441B32EFDBE90 - Taken by Saty
Pizza Express -- MB-5E2F433D482203E8 - Taken by Vuze
Pongo -- MB-0DDC2CCF9364BE5A - Taken by OmarYusaf
Recursion Deluxe -- MB-C03DF5CBB65EA748 - Taken by Loptous
Sleengster 2 -- MB-AC150D6D1C956C8B - Taken by septicore
Sprint Cars Road to Knoxville -- MB-DBFF2AA8958F139F - Taken by texhnolyze
Steel Rain -- MB-48ADAC5322EBA9B1 - Taken by voodooray
Super Ubie Island REMIX -- MB-6A617AB1B8B23AA0 - Taken by anastef
The UnderGarden -- MB-F59D6BD1964F5427 - Taken by FeedMeAStrayCat
This Book Is A Dungeon -- MB-4926F3BB3264CA68 - Taken by ctw0e
Toast Time -- MB-0C13DDAC230060F0 - Taken by madjoki
Verdict Guilty -- MB-17233819C7EDD2DE - Taken by KainXVIII
Zombie Playground -- MB-55596DF3986B6F8E - Taken by rainking187

Yeah. Battlechasers reminds me of I am Setsuna, but better.

one hub yeah, map is pretty big tho. The overworld is kinda like super mario's overworld really, or a boardgame.

Yeah, that's disappointing for me.

I've seen some gameplay footage and I don't really like the overworld system.

I used my DS4 and X360 gamepads on my tablet (wired) with OTG cable and they worked without issue. :D

Interesting, I never knew that. Do I need to install some apps?

Oo04a.gif

Tomasety

Both Prey and The Elder Scrolls® Online: Tamriel Unlimited had a price drop around a 33% off recently.

I'm personally interested to see if Bethesda will apply a 50% off discount on Prey again once it goes on sale the next time.

Both Prey and The Elder Scrolls® Online: Tamriel Unlimited had a price drop around a 33% off recently.

I'm personally interested to see if Bethesda will apply a 50% off discount on Prey again once it goes on sale the next time.

I actually like that at least Bethesda is dropping prices of their games after a while. They also did it with Doom.

Jadax

first 2 eps for The Wolf Among Us were dope then it got sorta slow

i need to get back to it

edit: actually i might just play it after tales from the borderlands

Tales from Borderlands is in my opinion the best game from that developer. Just had so much fun going through that story.

But as with most Telltale games, they aren't really 'games' in the traditional sense - and that gets annoying sometimes (especially when your actions don't really have an effect on the end #walkingdead)

Tomasety

I actually like that at least Bethesda is dropping prices of their games after a while. They also did it with Doom.

Yep, I agree with you. I believe Bethesda is handling some gaming matters better than it used to do in the past. Still there are a couple of issues that leave much to be desired, like all which is relating to creation club.

I personally preferred the way they handled last E3. Instead of once again trying to hype users showing pre-alpha footage of games we wouldn't see in a couple of years, they focused their attention on showing finished games which in addition, were going to be released in the following 6 months.

Tizoc

Upcoming update for Street Fighter V happening in the next couple of months
Arcade Mode – Choose from six different paths themed after classic Street Fighter games.
Gallery – Unlock hundreds of illustrations as you play through Arcade Mode.
Extra Battle – Complete timed challenges to obtain exclusive costumes throughout 2018.
New V-Triggers – Each character will have two V-Triggers, adding even more depth to the combat system.
New Visuals – The user interface is being redesigned with new color schemes, revised menus, and exciting pre-and-post-fight effects.

For existing users this'll be just like the usual updates from the past 2 years. Interested in seeing what Season 3 cast will be
COME ON ARMLESS SAGAT! GIMME DAT PSYCHIC TAIGA SHOUT!

Top Bottom