• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
wish i could vote for "steam broadcast" as goty.

spending so much time watching friends streams.

it did come out 2014 so there's that.

And yet Steam broadcasting doesn't work on mobile platforms.

Hell even Sony got PlayStation Live on their app, Steam android app is pretty much dead :(

Voted, Wolfenstein: The New Order is GOTY!
ibt19PKuV9Noqt.jpg

autoduelist

To the person asking for Dungeon of the Endless tips, I posted a small novel in the prior thread; too long to repost here.

Also, I'm going to break my own rule, sort of, and post a non-exhaustive list of things I'm especially looking forward to next year that haven't been hyped up before

Wow. Many interesting games I've never heard of, topped by After Reset. Thank you!

I never thought I'd see the day where a 4X game was my GOTY.

Which one?

Am I wrong for wanting to vote for Wasteland 2 for my GOTY even though I've yet to get to it? It's very existence is worth my GOTY vote, imo. It's the sequel I've wanted since 1988 (well, one of them).

Give me a proper Bard's Tale sequel with the production values of M&MXL and an Autoduel sequel, and I'll be brought to tears of joy.

Am I wrong for wanting to vote for Wasteland 2 for my GOTY even though I've yet to get to it? It's very existence is worth my GOTY vote, imo. It's the sequel I've wanted since 1988 (well, one of them).

I wanted to vote for Wasteland 2 despite only playing it for 9 hours up until now

Uzzy

Did my duty as a SteamGAF member and voted. Huzzah. Here are my thoughts, which you can read or ignore at your leisure.

Honourable Mentions: Divinity: Original Sin, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Endless Legend, The Banner Saga

5: Wargame: Red Dragon - The RTS Genre hasn't had the best few years recently, but the Wargame series has stood out to me as an excellent example of the genre. Once you get your head round the complexities of the game, you've got a great RTT/RTS game with cold war era forces battling it out on land, sea and air.
4: Valkyria Chronicles - A shining example of how to port a game to PC, this was an unexpected but very welcome addition to my PC library this year, and excelled in many ways. Stunningly beautiful thanks to it's unique artstyle, I really enjoyed the turn-based/realtime combat.
3: Dark Souls II - Another excellent example of a PC port. There's real greatness in the Dark Souls gameplay, and that feeling of learning from your mistakes against an enemy to triumph over them is really something special. The DLC though really pushed this game into my top five, with fantastic level design and boss fights.
2: Shadowrun: Dragonfall: Director's Cut - Durante has rightly spoken about how this year saw a CRPG renaissance, and I feel that Dragonfall is the shining example of that renaissance. Sure, Divinity's got the best combat out there, but Dragonfall has a fantastic story and wonderful characters that you really want to get to know. I could just spend ages walking around the Kreuzbasar talking to everyone, before heading off on another run.

1: Transistor - Transistor is divine. It's an amazing mix of a near perfect soundtrack, jaw droppingly gorgeous visuals and challenging, flexible and rewarding gameplay that comes together to create something truly magical. It's one of video gaming's few tragedies, full of moments that'll stick with me for a long time, from the first scene right up until the bittersweet ending. Transistor is easily my game of the year.

def sim

I did, barely. Changed one of my votes to include it just before submitting.

I did forget a certain other port though.

I feel like I've forgotten many games I've played in 2014. Oh well, at least I remembered Wolfenstein is number one.

Lomax

I think we can unequivocally say that having two threads during the Winter Sale was an absolute success. Looking forward to the SteamGaf GotY controversy!

Regarding Half Life 3 comments from the other thread, the point I was trying to make was:

People say Valve only makes f2p "hat" games now.
The belief is, Valve's employees can work on what they want.

Therefore, for both of those things to be true, that means there is not a significant number of employees left at Valve who want to work on things other than f2p hat games.

tmarg

I think we can unequivocally say that having two threads during the Winter Sale was an absolute success. Looking forward to the SteamGaf GotY controversy!

Regarding Half Life 3 comments from the other thread, the point I was trying to make was:

People say Valve only makes f2p "hat" games now.
The belief is, Valve's employees can work on what they want.

Therefore, for both of those things to be true, that means there is not a significant number of employees left at Valve who want to work on things other than f2p hat games.

I guarantee you Valve employees don't get to work on whatever the fuck they want. They would never actually finish anything if that was the case.

Monooboe

Voted!:D

Here's mine:

Game 5 (1 point) : South Park: The Stick of Truth
Game 4 (2 points) : Murdered: Soul Suspect
Game 3 (3 points) : Wasteland 2
Game 2 (4 points) : Divinity: Original Sin
Game 1 (5 points) : Wolfenstein: The New Order

maguskain

First year voting me for - just got seriously into PC gaming last spring. My list -

Game 5 (1 point) : Valkyria Chronicles
Game 4 (2 points) : Divinity: Original Sin
Game 3 (3 points) : Shadowrun: Dragonfall
Game 2 (4 points) : BattleBlock Theater
Game 1 (5 points) : Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

And there is definitely one that's not like the others...it's just so much fun in local co-op

We as a community will have irreversibly fucked up somewhere if Wolfenstein: The New Order doesn't win Steam GOTY.

Uh. No.
I really loved the second mission.
Outside of that? It seemed like a well made shooter, but didn't do anything I'd consider amazing. Especially when I factor in some of the more bullshit moments that did stick with me. LOL
And the real kicker? I generally like these games that use alternate realities/histories as settings... so I was kind of let down in the end. It was a good game... but it probably wouldn't even make a Top 10 list from me for 2014 unless I just ran out of *cough*Steam*cough* in the 8-9-10 area (which are currently blank because I didn't go back and fill them in yet).

Transistor falls in the same boat for me.
A game that's appearing on a lot of lists as GOTY and it wouldn't even make my top 10 unless I ran out of choices in the 8-9-10.
Strangely, for how disappointed I was with Transistor, it didn't end up being another Strider. Probably because I just had high hopes for a new franchise and they didn't pan out, rather than seeing an iconic franchise brought back into some shell of it's former glory.

This has been painful. Deciding between MGR and Wolfenstein for the last spot hasn't been easy.
Rules of Nature prevail.

Also, Happy New Year and all that jazz.

You are a good and wise man.
Gold star.

_hekk05

Banned
Are you stupid? I gifted you the game days ago >:O

http://i.minus.com/jbybeKa67hEsGu.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Oh My Cats! Thanks chariot!

In my defence I've been travelling and I haven't touched my computer in 2 weeks. I can't even feasibly vote for GOTY since I've been too busy.

I have transistor, wasteland 2, divinity OS, crypt of the necrodancer, Ground Zeroes, MGR, valkyria chronicles and korra and I haven't even played any of them yet. Haven't even finished shadow of mordor either.

Also had my bank throw a fit and they thought credit card fraud was happening, so I had to deal with that too.

Also got into an accident with a deer on yosemite on new years. Small concussion, fat lips. Stupid deer.

Hopefully the rest of the year goes better for me.

I want to thank GAF for convincing me that Dragon Age 2 was going to be terrible - I ended up enjoying it more than Origins (although it's hands down a way worse game in pretty much every area). Lowered expectations FTW!

EDIT: Being a "Wait for a indie bundle/price mistake/sub 3€ price" person makes it soo hard to make a GOTY list, since most of the games I played this year were released in 2013 or earlier :/

Here's my list.

Game 5 (1 point) : The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Game 4 (2 points) : Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
Game 3 (3 points) : South Park: The Stick of Truth
Game 2 (4 points) : Shovel Knight
Game 1 (5 points) : Transistor

I think 2015 will be a good Steam year,

MRORANGE

It's advisable not showcase what you voted for, so we don't spam up the thread ;p

Even in a spoiler we know it's there ;p

maguskain

I want to thank GAF for convincing me that Dragon Age 2 was going to be terrible - I ended up enjoying it more than Origins (although it's hands down a way worse game in pretty much every area). Lowered expectations FTW!

I felt exactly the same way. I wouldn't call it a great game, but would give it a 7/10 or so. Glad I didn't pay full price when I bought it, but was happy at around the $20 I paid for it a few years ago.

Why are we spoilering out GOTY results?

hell yes.

Um... Knurek did it, I followed suit, and so on and so forth?

It's advisable not showcase what you voted for, so we don't spam up the thread ;p

Even in a spoiler we know it's there ;p

But it's facilitating interesting discussions! :p

Ehh. Not my #1. I played it on bone, so that might be the problem.
It's on my list, though, if that makes it any better.

I don't think that's the problem. Ningen was running the game (until the final boss) on his toaster and having a grand old time.

I felt exactly the same way. I wouldn't call it a great game, but would give it a 7/10 or so. Glad I didn't pay full price when I bought it, but was happy at around the $20 I paid for it a few years ago.

This is always awesome... I think it's why I found some enjoyment out of Aliens:CM. I mean, I went in expecting a totally unplayable shit show based on the GAF/internet feedback and the GIFs and such. Instead I had a good enough time, especially in some co-op play with mr. lever, that I went and grabbed the Stasis Interrupted DLC.

There's a few more games like that, where if you listen to the general hype, or go in expecting something specific it can ruin a game for you. Hype ruined the new Strider for me, as I mentioned... It's not an overall terrible game... but I make it out to be generally worse than it is because I had a HUGE amount of hype for it... especially after seeing some of the stuff in the week leading up to launch; it looked like my fears were unfounded and it could be everything I'd hoped and dreamed for in a Strider resurrection, even if it was Metroidvania. I ran out and pre-purchased and in 3 hours or so found that my hopes and dreams were destroyed by this game.

I think there's a large list of things (for me, at least) where, expecting them to be worthless or... bad... they were surprisingly enjoyable instead.

dani_dc

Looking at my activity feed it looks like several more people have joined the ranks of NekoGAF.

Good to see people buying VNs.

Pupo

My list:

Game 5 (1 point) : South Park: The Stick of Truth
Game 4 (2 points) : The Binding of Isaac Rebirth
Game 3 (3 points) : Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Game 2 (4 points) : Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
Game 1 (5 points) : Transistor

Anyone have the games in the Carpe Fulgur Collection? Been thinking about grabbing it all day and I usually leave the final say to GAF. Yall haven't failed me yet. Unless you count Bad Rats. Still can't believe I paid to have that stain permanently in my library.

gngf123

Anyone have the games in the Carpe Fulgur Collection? Been thinking about grabbing it all day and I usually leave the final say to GAF. Yall haven't failed me yet. Unless you count Bad Rats. Still can't believe I paid to have that stain permanently in my library.

Reccetear is great.

Mr. Doop

I'm sorry you can't recognize the true beauty of Bad Rats.

Steam beta client update Jan. 1st:

General
Reduced CPU usage when drawing animated images or videos
Fixed video playback performance regression on Mac OS X and Linux
Added FPS counter to Steam Overlay
Fixed reloading settings values in the Steam Overlay

Broadcast
Improved capture performance in D3D9 games
Improved audio/video synchronization
Improved automatically adjusting video encoding bit rate when a change in available upload bandwidth is detected
Fixed opening the broadcast watch page from client UI (friends list, invite chat message, etc.) in the Steam Overlay
Improved capture performance in OpenGL games when hardware support is enabled on machines with newer Nvidia GPUs
Added first time use and other UI to Big Picture mode
Fixed first friend invite to a broadcast sometimes getting dropped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom