• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Enhanced Edition's come a long way; you can play Unfinished Business on both now, and they're compatible with the upcoming expansion like was said before.

If someone doesn't own any copies, I'd say there's no reason not to go for the Enhanced Editions for both BG1 and 2, unless money's tight and there's some massive sale on the GOG complete ones.

Since I have both, I get all the old manuals and other goodies as well as can play the enhanced stuff. The games are on sale frequently; too bad you can't get the EE's from Nuuvem anymore, I think I paid $5 each or something like that.

To be honest, I played the complete edition many years ago, before the EE was announced, and I never had a problem installing mods or getting it up to date. I don't think the EE having compatibility with UB is a huge thing because it was already painless to install, and I have to interest in the interquel they're putting out.

Like I said, I don't see the new content as being worth the upgrade. As someone who owns a physical copy of the saga and put at least 150 hours into II, there isn't anything the EE can offer me beyond what the fans have been releasing for free for years. I got so much mileage from mods that it was a whole new game.

And yeah, the Complete version goes on sale for dirt-cheap often.

For those who pre-ordered Mad Max, the pre-order sub was updated earlier to include two promotional hood ornaments that WB added to the other subs a couple of months ago. I contacted Avalanche about the disparity a few days ago and my message was forwarded on to one of WB's community managers, who got back to me this morning.

I assume you mean the GulpCut and the Brawla DLCs. I didn't preorder the game (won it from Alienware), but got them anyway.

zkylon

zkylewd
Scholar of the First Sin is nearly at 600k too. I would be curious to know how much overlap there is on the base game.
that'd be cool if it didn't mean they basically broke the community completely

1m and 600k players separated and online feels completely abandoned

from and bamco made a horrible mess out of that ripoff edition on pc

Wok

i'm also resenting the game a lot over this fkking panel lol

vDWvoTT.png

(removed the answers)

edit: nvm, i got it

see, this game is cool when you're playing it

These panels are driving me insane. I cannot figure a consistent rule: I solve some puzzles but the rule which I figure out does not work for others.

Maybe I am biased by
the sigils of Talos
and getting messed up by my a priori.

Do not tell me what to do.

There's still an active community on both, I believe, though I haven't been on vanilla in quite awhile (back when Veggie was "finishing" his playthrough, he spent an astonishing amount of time doing jolly co-op). When I played SotFS, I never really had problems matching up and usually had full network sessions for co-op as well. And the sub-reddit for it seems to have pretty frequent posts with stories of their latest exploits in DS2.

Contrastingly, for DS1, even with no "broken" player base AND with the steamworks patch as well as a good deal more owners, I had problems finding people to help me in situations where I needed a hand and had to resort to using the AI summons in places.

Teeth

I can't really say that it broke the community. I haven't played vanilla since last year, but I played through Scholar for the first time last month and there was tons of PvP people to play the whole time. I also got invaded 4 times during my NG playthrough, which is 4 more times than I did playing through vanilla at launch.

On the other hand, I found it a lot harder to get summoned, which I just chalked up to the fact that there were likely a lot more experienced players who would opt-in for the Scholar edition, and they would be less likely to summon anyone. I have never summoned a real person in DS1 or 2, so I have no idea if there were less signs to go around.

Dual Gear is up on Greenlight.
Plz cast your votes, guys!

$2000 after 2 days?

Yikes.

zkylon

zkylewd
dual gear seems pretty much doa, unfortunately

dunno why, the idea sounds awesome and it looks promising, even tho i hear the demo isn't so tight

There's still an active community on both, I believe, though I haven't been on vanilla in quite awhile (back when Veggie was "finishing" his playthrough, he spent an astonishing amount of time doing jolly co-op). When I played SotFS, I never really had problems matching up and usually had full network sessions for co-op as well. And the sub-reddit for it seems to have pretty frequent posts with stories of their latest exploits in DS2.

Contrastingly, for DS1, even with no "broken" player base AND with the steamworks patch as well as a good deal more owners, I had problems finding people to help me in situations where I needed a hand and had to resort to using the AI summons in places.
i played vanilla not that long ago and it was a barren wasteland for online. tried both invading, summoning and sunbroing and neither of those were nowhere near the frequency of the days before the sotfs. that's probably due to a lot of ppl just moving on to other games, but fragmenting the online community definitely didn't help

it's not the exact same with dks1. dks1 is an older game, so a lot of ppl beat it already a long time ago so the owners number isn't necessarily the biggest indication. plus, who knows what the steamwork patch did in comparison to the really great online quality on launch of dks2. i mean, it's an api thing, who knows if the game code for online was crappy in dks1 or whatever. it's hard to say at least

but yeah, i play dks1 in human mode just to see if i get invaded and i think in my last playthrough i only got invaded once in anor londo and that's it (tho i'm bad and gave up at s&o cos i really couldn't beat them with my dagger wielding parry faith build)

These panels are driving me insane. I cannot figure a consistent rule: I solve some puzzles but the rule which I figure out does not work for others.

Maybe I am biased by
the sigils of Talos
and getting messed up by my a priori.

Do not tell me what to do.
the ones with the yellow squares? it took me a while to figure out the exact details of their mechanic and it's still hard to solve their puzzles (i'm stuck at a later one)

i dunno about the witness, i have really mixed feelings about it. while it's rewarding to figure the puzzles out, it hasn't gotten to hexcells-like levels of brain rush that i was expecting of it and i don't really appreciate the feeling i get of the game actively wanting me not to understand it.

really strange game for sure

I can't really say that it broke the community. I haven't played vanilla since last year, but I played through Scholar for the first time last month and there was tons of PvP people to play the whole time. I also got invaded 4 times during my NG playthrough, which is 4 more times than I did playing through vanilla at launch.

On the other hand, I found it a lot harder to get summoned, which I just chalked up to the fact that there were likely a lot more experienced players who would opt-in for the Scholar edition, and they would be less likely to summon anyone. I have never summoned a real person in DS1 or 2, so I have no idea if there were less signs to go around.
really? i kind of find it hard to believe but ok

like, i had a shit ton of fun online on release, i invaded and got invaded so much and kept sunbroing ppl over and over just cos i liked doing it

i'm guessing most active ppl moved to the superior ripoff edition while i just can't really justify to myself spending money into rearranging all the spiders in brighstone cove and having to go through that nightmare again with even more spiders

KainXVIII

Happy (33th!) birthday for me! Don't know, maybe i should bough myself ROTR or just stick to DD:DA (and i'm glued to this great game!). Or maybe buy Witness (but i still not beat The Talos Principle DLC!)

lEwACD5.png

Played through Unmechanical earlier, not sure how I missed it until now. Delightful little light-puzzler. Nothing too complex as the only mechanic is that you can drag and place objects elsewhere to activate switches, power boilers etc... but well worth the play. Beautiful graphics and it doesn't outstay it's welcome at only 2 hours or so. There is an extended DLC version that extends the main game as well.

Lingitiz

Level 35 or so in Dragon's Dogma...seriously considering putting the game down though. The combat system is so damn good but you spend way too much time doing some of the most boring and inane shit. It's one of the best RPG combat systems wrapped in an awful world and mostly boring sets of quests.

The way people talk about the game I thought I'd be spending most of my time fighting dope giant monsters and stuff like that.

Happy (33th!) birthday for me! Don't know, maybe i should bough myself ROTR or just stick to DD:DA (and i'm glued to this great game!). Or maybe buy Witness (but i still not beat The Talos Principle DLC!)

lEwACD5.png

Happy birthday, Kain~!

Level 35 or so in Dragon's Dogma...seriously considering putting the game down though. The combat system is so damn good but you spend way too much time doing some of the most boring and inane shit. It's one of the best RPG combat systems wrapped in an awful world and mostly boring sets of quests.

The way people talk about the game I thought I'd be spending most of my time fighting dope giant monsters and stuff like that.

You'll do lots of that stuff later. Endgame (or postgame) is all about hunting big ass monsters.

Just don't bother with those board quests, complete them as you play. And try adventuring at night, you'll encounter them more often.

Dr Dogg

Seeing the doors have just opened on the Xbone beta for The Division and it's not under NDA, anyone want a run down of what The Division is, isn't and what I think?

Happy Birthday Kain!

Talking about birthday's, in about 3 weeks one of my foils will reach the very special age of 1! That's 1 year of trying to sell the bastard without luck.

xJavonta

Banned
There are chievs and no cards is to keep unevolved people away who are only looking for profit and can't appreciate genius.

The first five minutes I had motion sickness but then realized it was my brain growing.
Lmfao 10/10

Seeing the doors have just opened on the Xbone beta for The Division and it's not under NDA, anyone want a run down of what The Division is, isn't and what I think?
Yes actually.

Teeth

My biggest problems with the game when I played it on PS3 were the shit-tier AI companions, the abhorrent menus, and the encumbrance. The quest design was the overall wrapper that killed it though.

I thought to myself, hey, I like playing games more than watching them, so I should just be able to wring fun out of this game by roaming the land and slaying foul beasts.

That was when I came across a Chimera for the first time. With two pawns in tow (a mage and a Warrior), my very low level strider fought it over the course of 3 in game days. Each evening was punctuated by respawning lizard men who I would have to dispatch between Chimera attacks that could kill me in 2 hits (and knockout my mage in one).

Three. Literal. Days. Straight.

I was literally hitting him for slivers of health damage that I couldn't see. I would have to hit him 10+ times to be able have his health move a pixel on screen. By the time I got him down to his last health bar, I was basically doing no damage on him. And then he clipped through a rock and killed me.

Rage.

But i resolved to not be defeated and this time I would go about it smarter. I would kill the snake first, then the lion head as to not allow him to buff his defense. I also knew that I basically could only do damage to the lion head with magic-buffed knives. So off I trekked and engaged him once again.

Three. Literal. Days. Straight.

No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't force my mage to buff my weapons. No matter what I said or what situation I put him in, he would only do it at random, approx 10% of the time. I realized on the 30th straight minute that if my warrior was at full health, my mage would be more likely to buff my weapons, but there was no way to actually instruct him to do so. Also, my warrior would go to town on the goat head as fast as possible, because he thought that was the correct way to beat the Chimera.

And of course, I was killed by the lion head at dusk on the third day by him jump attack a rock and clipping on top of it.

I haven't played the game since.

Like, I get that it's an "arr pee jee" so I have to power up my weapons and shit to face bigger monsters, but when I can skill my way into a fight with your monster for 45+ minutes straight without taking a hit, you need to put some baseline damage model in to prevent my character from doing basically zero damage.

Also, congrats to whomever designed the system where your lantern goes out when you touch water and then have to remove and then re-equip it again to get it light back up. In a menu. That has loading.

EDIT: the sad thing is, I'm probably going to buy the game again when it goes on sale on Steam because I can mod out the encumbrance, mod in some waystones, and I have a better overall idea of how the stupid pawn stuff works (thanks Morrigan). And I imagine all of the little hitching load times for every menu have been reduced to nil if running off an SSD. Oh, and the hotkeys for items.

Dr Dogg

Alright give me a sec to see if there's any clauses about posting screenies and such and to write something up that sort of makes sense.

Arthea

some numberz

Dragon's Dogma: 212,153 ± 9,886
Resident Evil 0: 41,632 ± 4,380
Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak: 50,830 ± 4,840
Oxenfree: 8,593 ± 1,990
Punch Club: 114,366 ± 7,260
Crypt of the NecroDancer: 399,375 ± 13,559

I would like to know what Capcpom expectations for DD were.
Some nice sales, Necrodancer is slowly crypting to half of million
Punch Club sold surprisingly good
poor Oxenfree..
New Homeworld seems to be a good game.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Fallout multiplayer mod brings all your mates to New Vegas

Those fiendishly minded modders are at it again, with a Fallout: New Vegas multiplayer mod on the horizon and about to enter public testing. It's held together by ductape, dreams and some great hacks, but it does just about work, letting you wander the southern wasteland on multiplayer servers and share quests with chums. It's not the Fallout 4 multiplayer mod we've dreamed of - and Bethesda likely tried their hardest to implement - but it is a step on the road in terms of seeing what works.

Contrary to what you may be thinking, this isn't designed to work with sets of dedicated servers or on LANs. It's going to be a series of MMO-style realm servers that players connect to and then can wander as they like, meeting others in the vast wastes. To begin with this will be just one, situated Europe, that invites will be given to via the sign-up form on the official site.

Project contributor Jak, posting on the official forums, explained the reasoning behind a realm method, "We like the idea of realms / large servers because of the map size in Fallout: New Vegas. We aren't looking to exploit money out of this at all, although if we find we're having issues with overpopulation we'll look expanding server counts.​" That last is in reference to the possibility of private-server microtransactions - something they never intend to do, and they won't be charging for the mod.

Hey - a lot better than I could do, and much more than Gamebryo was ever designed to accomplish. On Reddit, Jak said that the main program is 91,041 lines of C++ to push past the engine's boundries and into the realm of multiplayer. There have been some sacrifices, like the total removal of VATS, and having to make it so opening your inventory roots you in place but makes you invulnerable, probably meaning no PvP for the forseeable future.

However, it does let you play New Vegas with other people. Quests even work, syncing progress and decisions in different areas to single players to keep a narrative working. It's going to be very easy to troll people if you want, but GMs will be in place to ban those being nasty, and the project will scale up as it gets more demand.

The first test will be in two weeks, so get your name down for it if you're interested. There's a quick FAQ thread on the official forums that goes into some more details, including what to do if you'd like to help out in a more direct way.

Mivey

Good games selling badly.
Bad for the devs.
Good for us (quick to bundle).
How's that for a moral dilemma?
With something like The Witness, I could see it picking up sales over quite some time if it manages to resonate and get some word of mouth. Currently a lot of bug reports seem to hold it down. For The Witness there is also the PS4 version, might sell quite a bit better.

Knurek

Just bad for us. No chance of sequels and may also convince other devs there is little market for that type of game.

Indie sequels don't sell. Period.
This hurt a lot of developers (Toki Tori 2, Stealth 2, Grimrock 2, etc).
Best to start with a clean slate.

Arthea

oh yeah, almost forgot
Life is Strange reached 1mln sales, unfortunately there is no way to tell how many of those are episode 1 which was in a bundle, could be about 300K from that 1 mln, could be even more of people buying only episode 1 separately.

Life Is Strange - 1,080,128 ± 22,270

MUnited83

For you.

Nah, online on the SoTFS is plenty more active.

some numberz

Dragon's Dogma: 212,153 ± 9,886
Resident Evil 0: 41,632 ± 4,380
Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak: 50,830 ± 4,840
The Witness: 14,281 ± 2,565
Punch Club: 114,366 ± 7,260
Crypt of the NecroDancer: 399,375 ± 13,559

I would like to know what Capcpom expectations for DD were.
Some nice sales, Necrodancer is slowly crypting to half of million
Punch Club sold surprisingly good
poor Oxenfree..
New Homeworld seems to be a good game.

I will upvote, although unlikely their indie go go campaign will be successful
This has been said time and time again, but Steamspy needs 3 days to be accurate, so posting numbers of a game that came out not a day ago even shouldn't be done as it's nothing more than misinformation.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
There's also this from the store page:

um.. all the things they listed are on many regular tables, already 'put together'... spinners, jet bumpers and drop targets are pretty damn well fundamental to pinball and not very unique yet they are listed as exciting features...

lol

btw do you have TPA season 5?

Yeah, it's really funny... I mean Timeshock is great but really not that different to real life tables, which was the whole point I think...

At least I got a mail an hour ago saying that I should receive my Steam key today, yay

I haven't bought season 5 yet, I blame the death of the Russian bear :p

I think I wait till S5 is 50% off or so, there are still so many tables in the first four Seasons I haven't really played yet... and I haven't tried most of the pinball fx tables too I bought over the last year...

I really should play pinball more often again :p

milena87

Happy Birthday! I used your pawn quite a few times, so please stick with DD for a while :p

some numberz

Now I feel bad that I haven't bought it yet. But too many games, I need to prioritize.

EDIT: the sad thing is, I'm probably going to buy the game again when it goes on sale on Steam because I can mod out the encumbrance, mod in some waystones, and I have a better overall idea of how the stupid pawn stuff works (thanks Morrigan). And I imagine all of the little hitching load times for every menu have been reduced to nil if running off an SSD. Oh, and the hotkeys for items.

Yeah, the menus are horrible, but at least there are no loading times. However, resting at inns and connecting to the server takes me quite some time, like 20-40 seconds.
The quest design is terrible, I agree. And I wasn't even expecting much.
And there are still some problems with pawns from your friend list not appearing in the rift. I hope they'll fix this soon.

But having so much trouble with chimeras seems strange. Did you encounter one before level 15? On hard mode, by the time I travelled to the nearest forest where I found a chimera I was already around level 20. I did have some great pawns with me, though.

Arthea

Good games selling badly.
Bad for the devs.
Good for us (quick to bundle).
How's that for a moral dilemma?

it's not really a moral dilemma, as we don't have any influence on what other people like or choose to play buy. Well, we have to a degree on steamgaf as we convince each other to give some game a chance or not, but beyond that, there is little we can do.

This has been said time and time again, but Steamspy needs 3 days to be accurate, so posting numbers of a game that came out not a day ago even shouldn't be done as it's nothing more than misinformation.

which game are you referring to?

MUnited83

For you.
it's not really a moral dilemma, as we don't have any influence on what other people like or choose to play buy. Well, we have to a degree on steamgaf as we convince each other to give some game a chance or not, but beyond that, there is little we can do.

which game are you referring to?

The Witness. Hasn't even been released for 24 hours yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom