• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
Can someone explain me Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13 price? 83€ is too much even for batshit crazy pricing policies of KT.
Also those 5 people who bought it, can't even play it, it just crashes right away, amazing....

edited: bah... I couldn't be more wrong, there are 7,640 people playing it right now.
It can't be right, can it?

Sure it can.

Yeah, I've stopped playing because the overworld traversal/stamina system was just dragging me down

I had the same issue. I talked about it with a good friend who is in love with this game (he played through it twice on PS3 and now he's doing it again on PC). I asked him if I should mod in infinite sprinting but he told me that it would make the game too easy and that I'd miss out on the experience of being stuck in the middle of nowhere at night and just barely making it to safety. He also went on to say that I've become a casual gamer (which I will happily cop to these days) and that Ubisoft games have ruined me (which just made me laugh because I haven't played on of those since Watch Dogs about two years ago).

So yeah, a solution to this issue exists should you really want it. I continued playing without the mod and things seem to go better now that I found a few port crystals and stopped giving a shit about doing every last side quest I come across on the notice boards.

Dr Dogg

I asked him if I should mod in infinite sprinting but he told me that it would make the game too easy and that I'd miss out on the experience of being stuck in the middle of nowhere at night and just barely making it to safety.

Hear that unfit people, getting yourself into shape will make life too easy. You must struggle arduously up 12 flights of stairs puffing and wheezing as you go!

Believe it or not, Romance of 3 Kingdoms has HUGE fanbase. Video game is just a small fraction of it.

You don't expect it to go lower than 20%?

The FC has been around for more than a year, and 50% is the deepest we can get for it so far.
XSeed is kinda.. patient with their discount policy.

$20 says it dies just as quick as R6: Siege. I don't care how good the game is - I'm sure as hell not dropping $80 Canadian on it, especially when I can't even get UPlay to function properly on any other game I boot up either.

R6: Siege is dead? Thats news to me. I still play that game almost daily, it doesn't seem very dead.

Also, don't have any issues with Uplay. It actually starts up and loads games quicker than Steam.

R6: Siege is dead? Thats news to me. I still play that game almost daily, it doesn't seem very dead.

Also, don't have any issues with Uplay. It actually starts up and loads games quicker than Steam.

Okay. I'll just ignore the garbage servers, mounting reports of broken matchmaking, rapidly-falling retail price, desperate "free weekend" stunts by Ubisoft and microtransactions because someone said it was okay. Any kernel of a great idea has been drowned out in a sea of bad business decisions.

Like I said, I expect Division to stick around for a little bit before dying out.

Dr Dogg

Okay. I'll just ignore the garbage servers, mounting reports of broken matchmaking, rapidly-falling retail price, desperate "free weekend" stunts by Ubisoft and microtransactions because someone said it was okay. Any kernel of a great idea has been drowned out in a sea of bad business decisions.

Like I said, I expect Division to stick around for a little bit before dying out.

Soooo have you played R6: Siege?

Kriken

I-I don't want to!

GV1DKZg.gif

But then you can be surrounded by people who love TiTS as much as you do

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So I'm playing an early version of a small Canadian indie game known as Kôna: Day One. It'll be releasing on Steam somewhere in Q1 of 2016, but there's some people they've selected to be part of an early build. The full embargo to talk about it goes off in about twenty six hours, and I expect to see some people/publications talking about it, but I can mention this.

It's actually really good even in its beta form, it looks gorgeous for an indie game (you can't see this in screens, but everything moves naturally, from the trees, to the grass, leaves in the wind, snow, flags, etc., look very good in motion), and is striking me like some mix of a survival game mixed with Alan Wake, of all odd comparisons. I can't show anything outside of the beginning area, but here's a few quick Steam screenshots I took of the very first area.

And here's an official trailer and alpha gameplay video for the game:
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn7o4_1Tx-c
Alpha Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NkdnCIQUl4

I'll talk more about it later today, I have some thoughts on it definitely.

You're really missing out on one of the greatest shooters. Don't let the beta persuade you. I do understand, that you won't pay $80 though, that's a very steep price.

Nah, I just don't care. I grew up on R6 - played Black Thorn religiously as a kid. Still have a physical copy of the Gold Edition of the original game. Own the whole collection on Steam.

I have no interest in multiplayer-only shooters, even with the caveat that there's a pseudo-single player training mode. Had this been priced at $30-40, I might have considered jumping in, but the beta did nothing to convince me and I have many more games in the backlog to go through.

Thats too bad, it's a fine shooter.

Where do you get this $80 price tag from? Copies have been available at half that price since pre-order.

$80 Canadian. Already said in my first post.

derExperte

The article isn't completely wrong but many issues are exaggerated or being worked on. If you're honestly interested I recommend reading this thread, many good comments in there about the state of the game.

Ludens

Banned
Why Daedalic point and clicks are SO slow?
Really, I'm playing Anna's Quest and it's a chore to play. Characters talk slowly, move slowly, animations are slow too. If you compare this to, let's say, Monkey Island 1 or 2 you can see how fast-paced those games are.

Next I will do Stasis, King's Quest Ep.2 or Dream, I really hope they are much dynamic than this.

MUnited83

For you.
but that price! and problematic port!
I haven't checked, is it priced in more accessible way in other regions or something?
It isn't, but the game has a very dedicated fanbase in asia, and Japan has shown they have no issues buying games at a high price, and the Steam version seems to be cheaper than any of the console versions or even PC retail (not sure if the retail version activates on Steam though )

Pachimari

Nah, I just don't care. I grew up on R6 - played Black Thorn religiously as a kid. Still have a physical copy of the Gold Edition of the original game. Own the whole collection on Steam.

I have no interest in multiplayer-only shooters, even with the caveat that there's a pseudo-single player training mode. Had this been priced at $30-40, I might have considered jumping in, but the beta did nothing to convince me and I have many more games in the backlog to go through.

I understand your reason.

When it comes to Rainbow Six, I have always only been in it for the multiplayer.

Shantom

Can someone explain me Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13 price? 83€ is too much even for batshit crazy pricing policies of KT.
Also those 5 people who bought it, can't even play it, it just crashes right away, amazing....

edited: bah... I couldn't be more wrong, there are 7,640 people playing it right now.
It can't be right, can it?

It's a port only available in Chinese and Japanese, so they probably priced it so high in the West to avoid impulse buyers who didn't read the language warning, and to avoid Japanese gamers taking advantage of regional pricing. It's $60 in China, and $77 in Japan.

IEbzVXW.png

I'd say it's a pretty good sign for Steam that a game has 10K concurrent and is 2nd on the top sellers list despite only being properly available in two of Steam's smaller territories.

It's not the first time this has happened either, Dariusburst reached the top 5 because of its Japanese release.

rtcn63

So Piers Nivans is supposed to be Ryan Phillipe right? Or is that just a generational thing. Like Rachel Leigh Cook being the spunky girl-next-door or Gin Blossoms' "Hey Jealousy" being the most memorable track played in-between TV commercials, trying to sell those pop rock compilation CD's.

Also why couldn'tthey have included her as a playable alternative?

latest

Dr Dogg

Briefly in beta, and I decided not to continue.

Again, I'm not going to pay $80 for either it or Division.

So you're saying most of your information on the state of the game right now is secondhand?

I mean I own it though I couldn't tell you if it's dead or not but all the issues you've just raised don't even factor to me in the grand scheme of things. While I have no idea what the console community is like I've had no issues getting into a game either with randoms or with mates. Sure there's been the issues with connections dropping that have been like that from the first closed Alpha but from playing 2 alphas, 2 betas and seeing progress from the released product it's got better.

I get that it's not a game for everyone, and some folks are like yourself baulk at the price but you also state it has a rapidly falling retail price. So unless you just have to get the game on Steam it seems like you yourself have rendered one of your issues moot, And I know all microtransactions are seen as the devil to some but they're so fucking pointless in Siege that if you buy them you own have yourself to blame, same goes for the Season Pass as everything in the game, including future content is free and bizarrely for a game that has XP boosts as microtransactions, it isn't really that grindy at all. I think in the first night of playing I unlocked 60% of the Operators and then the way the game is setup you can only have one of each Operator in a game at any one time with each about being more unique than better skilled than the next if all boils down to choice rather than power.

Or what you could do is look at R6: Siege's concurrent numbers since launch to get a feel for how things are going.

https://steamdb.info/app/359550/graphs/

Sure that's only Steam but that seems like a game that is growing from release numbers before settling and then maintaining it's population rather than one that is dying. Still it's only 2 months since release but there's still content drops to come for the rest of the year so might be worth looking at it over an extended period of time to see what's what. But it's in stark contrast for most single player games where you have a massive spike in concurrent players at launch weekend and then drop off massively, something by 100's of percent a day before settling down.

Arthea

It's a port only available in Chinese and Japanese, so they probably priced it so high in the West to avoid impulse buyers who didn't read the language warning, and to avoid Japanese gamers taking advantage of regional pricing. It's $60 in China, and $77 in Japan.

http://i.imgur.com/IEbzVXW.png[/IMG
I'd say it's a pretty good sign for Steam that a game has 10K concurrent and is 2nd on the top sellers list despite only being properly available in two of Steam's smaller territories.

It's not the first time this has happened either, Dariusburst reached the top 5 because of its Japanese release.[/QUOTE]

Dariusburst wasn't only Japanese release, tho, I mean as little as you need language in that game, it still supports English.

So you're saying most of your information on the state of the game right now is secondhand?

Look, I know you're fanboying it up, but just stop. I made up my mind a long time ago and gave my reasons why. If I have to read through a wall of text to find out why a game is maybe worth my time, it's probably not.

Thats too bad, it's a fine shooter.

Where do you get this $80 price tag from? Copies have been available at half that price since pre-order.

If I wanted to get it for cheap through second-hand sites, I could do that. I don't. The game was on sale for 25% off twice over the last month. Right now, it's $80, and I have no interest in buying it, regardless of either price.

Dr Dogg

Look, I know you're fanboying it up, but just stop. I made up my mind a long time ago and gave my reasons why. If I have to read through a wall of text to find out why a game is maybe worth my time, it's probably not.

So now you're resulting to name calling? I thought personally I raised some valid points that could prove a topic a discussion rather than passed over.

Shantom

Dariusburst wasn't only Japanese release, tho, I mean as little as you need language in that game, it still supports English.

Yes, but it came out pretty much everywhere except Japan in December, and didn't make much of an impact on the top sellers list. Then it came out in Japan a couple of weeks ago, and that's when it hit the top 5.

Arthea

It's not nice to say a post is too long.

in the thread where people are known not to read even OP?
perfectly reasonable, I'd say

just kidding, don't get angry Doggie! no post on topic is too long

It isn't, but the game has a very dedicated fanbase in asia, and Japan has shown they have no issues buying games at a high price, and the Steam version seems to be cheaper than any of the console versions or even PC retail (not sure if the retail version activates on Steam though )
I'm afraid to even ask
how much a retail is then?

Dr Dogg

You know what I mean. Unless you think "fanboy" is a derogatory term.

Let it go.

Ha dude I'm perfectly chill. I come to a discussion forum for just that, discussion. If you want to raise a topic of discussion (ie the state of R6 Siege) but then brush if off when you're engaged for what ever reason then that's your prerogative but it does make me wonder what do you come here for?

Also you might want to give this a read regards to how you address other users of the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom