• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
mars war logs is a weird witcher/mass effect esque low-budget rpg that's got some heart but mostly lacks any meaningful substance

it does have one detective quest which i enjoyed quite a bit, and the early parts and the story aren't bad by any means and the combat is, u know, ok i guess

it's weird, the game is pretty polished for its scope and ambitions, but you can also tell they took a lot of safe bets and that ended up making the game feel kind of pointless

there's no weird eastern-european like craziness here that makes u forgive its budget shortcomings, it's just kind of mediocre.

i kinda really liked the setting so would love to see something a sequel that's a bit more ambitious

Just be thankful (I guess?) that mobile authentication works at all for you. Even though I have an Android phone, they've decided seemingly arbitrarily to not support my carrier for their text messaging stuff. I don't even have an option for using the mobile authenticator.

I use Google's 2 factor auth on my email account and with Lastpass, and would obviously prefer to use something like Google Authenticator for Steam as well. It's not so bad really, but it's definitely made me much less active in the Steam economy and whatnot since trading takes 1-3 days now.
i really respect u ppl being all safe and stuff

i have the email authenticator and that's already very annoying, but after all my troubles with twitter's garbage security, i guess it's for the best

if anyone gets that Humble Weekly BTA Tier and doesn't need/want Bound By Flame I'd take it if possible...my money situation took a complete nosedive today so I can't spend anything for the next few days

(that's if the keys are separate and not bundled up like the last Humble offering)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
You can't use the Steam app at all?

I can use the Steam app itself to do Steam chat or buy things and whatnot, but when I try to use it to secure my account for mobile authentication I get a message saying that my phone isn't supported.

Kifimbo

Didn't know Capcom was involved.

HzIhU5P.png

Dr Dogg

Wait, they actually support text verification codes now?! Before it was email or app.

Not for individual logon sessions but for verification purposes for change of account details or login in on a new device and such. First code I got was back in 16th September so must have started about then. And then I got a few in December as I changed my email address and did a couple of reformats.

Uzzy

ROTR: Everything explodes, including your computer.

I must say, I was disappointed when Mama Croft mentioned the 'gutter press' and didn't bring out a copy of the Daily Star.

Also a mass murderer like Lara going to
Syria
is bound to get her put on a few watch lists.

Everybody enjoy Tomb Raider, it's a fun game!*

* disclaimer - Uncharted 2 is the best game of all time and I liked Thi4f. Any failure to enjoy Rise of the Tomb Raider is your own fault I can't be held liable for any damages resulting from said lack of enjoyment.

I'm sure I will enjoy it, but Uncharted 2 is easily the worst game of the franchise and TR2013 was as good as, if not potentially better, than Uncharted/Uncharted 3 (which were the best games from the franchise).

That said, even if your disclaimer disqualifies your recommendation to enjoy RotTR, I will still do so. :p

--

Hmmm, running RotTR on high settings without motion blur and bloom and have a pretty constant 60 at ~1080p.

Glad I upgraded to a 970.

The last three times I've signed into Steam:
*goes to sign in to Steam on PC, unsure why I'm not signed in*
Steam: Get a code from your mobile authenticator
*walks to cell phone, checks Steam app, I'm not signed in there either, oh and also the Steam app doesn't support my password manager so this is a pain in the ass, signs in*
Steam: Get a code from your mobile authenticator
Me: Yes, the point is that this is my mobile authenticator, you idiots
*Clicks "Please help I no longer have my mobile authenticator codes"*
*Clicks "Use this device and get authenticator codes on this app"*
Steam: Check your text messages for a code to confirm you're you (why wouldn't I have gotten my 2FA through text message???? Answer unknown?)
*enters text*
*signed in on app*
*App defaults to friends pane even though I asked app to default to Steam Guard*
*gets 2FA code*
*sign in on PC*

This is not a good process. I now need to decide whether I want to make my account less secure so that I can actually use it. This is stupid.

Are you on Android or iOS?

I have the same issue on iOS, but when I log in to the app and it asks me for my authenticator code, I double tap home and force quit the app. I then re-open the app, which then defaults to the authenticator screen like it clearly, logically should.

I still panic every time.

I've never heard of any of these games (well, I heard the name Pix the cat before) in the 1$.
Anyone can sell me on them?

Mars Warlogs has been on my wishlist for a while, I think it is a like a low budget mass effect? This is what I gather from the steam store at least.

bloke

Don't remember last time I kept so many games from humble weekly bundle, so only few left for this giveaway.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Pix the Cat -- MB-B44CD80F3BAD5A1A - Taken by Costa1774
Mars: War Logs -- MB-FE1574A7D9B3C47D - Taken by pantsattack
Game of Thrones -- MB-B9617BB19825C43E - Taken by Loptous - Taken by Kifimbo

Not for individual logon sessions but for verification purposes for change of account details or login in on a new device and such. First code I got was back in 16th September so must have started about then. And then I got a few in December as I changed my email address and did a couple of reformats.

I'd be much happier if they'd just let me have the "code" for verification in two-factor via text/sms instead of email.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Just be thankful (I guess?) that mobile authentication works at all for you. Even though I have an Android phone, they've decided seemingly arbitrarily to not support my carrier for their text messaging stuff. I don't even have an option for using the mobile authenticator.

I use Google's 2 factor auth on my email account and with Lastpass, and would obviously prefer to use something like Google Authenticator for Steam as well. But not having the authenticator isn't so bad really, but it's definitely made me much less active in the Steam economy and whatnot since trading takes 1-3 days now.

When was the last time you tried using the number? I remember we were in the same boat when they launched the security features but they eventually added Google voice and it works for me now.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
When was the last time you tried using the number? I remember we were in the same boat when they launched the security features but they eventually added Google voice and it works for me now.

Interesting, I haven't tried it in a few weeks. Might have to give it another shot.

Dr Dogg

I'd be much happier if they'd just let me have the "code" for verification in two-factor via text/sms instead of email.

Like shackles said earlier I'd rather Valve allowed you to verify via Google Authenticator seeing as I've got various accounts from different services using that. Right now it's so many layers of bullshit and depending on the action you're taking with your account it changes the method it defaults to or falls back on. Some times you only need one method others you need multiple. Then again that sounds exactly like a Valve plan put into action.

bummer, the first one's benchmark was useful for tinkering but i suppose we don't need it anymore since you can change all settings in game

thanks for the reply!

It was the first thing I looked for in the main menu after choosing my settings because I wanted to see if I needed to adjust to stay at 60 (or if I could increase some settings if I was getting a high enough benchmark with the current ones).

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be there for whatever reason. :\

Guys, Sunless Sea is on sale. Should i pull the trigger or wait?

Depends. Is it worth $11.39 (or whatever it is in your local currency)?

Like shackles said earlier I'd rather Valve allowed you to verify via Google Authenticator seeing as I've got various accounts from different services using that. Right now it's so many layers of bullshit and depending on the action you're taking with your account it changes the method it defaults to or falls back on. Some times you only need one method others you need multiple. Then again that sounds exactly like a Valve plan put into action.

Yeah, that'd work for me too... I just had the same experience stump is having when I was swapping some KF2 items and cards for the sale with other GAFers over the holidays and it made me remove the authenticator protection and just go back to email. I like the idea of just using an SMS like you seem to have it set up, but I'd rather not have to disable steam mobile guard to do it. Hence my lament of them not offering an SMS message as an option to get your verification code for signing in. :)

jshackles

And one that will likely be quickly forgotten about once it's "good enough" and won't get updated until years from now it mysteriously breaks.

And one that will likely be quickly forgotten about once it's "good enough" and won't get updated until years from now it mysteriously breaks.

Thats why I wanted you to work there. I am serious. I think you would have seen the half-baked things Valve added and then quickly forgot.

I remember the Greenlight-debacle where even Gabe said its a shit system. Or the trading card binders and the other seasons of trading cards. Or the musicplayer, that feels like the project of a new IT intern.

bloke

Gave up on adding this after reading reviews :p
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

t1cxE6r.gif
Etherium -- MB-A35F5C916886596A - Taken by nightstorm

SSPssp

Humble Extras:

ModBot 2 said:
Instructions for SSPssp:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (SSPssp, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Space Run -- MB-6F94ACC1B1477264 - Taken by derExperte
Pix the Cat -- MB-E30B64F5F57129E7 - Taken by Large Professor
Game of Thrones -- MB-9A1FE0B6149527B2 - Taken by anastef

Lomax

That's a hell of a bundle, even if I already own a large part of it. Honestly seems like it should have been a two week main line bundle.

Edit: Interesting, because I've already redeemed Game of Thrones from another bundle, it won't let me generate a key, it just gives the gift link option. How long has that existed?

Dr Dogg

Yeah, that'd work for me too... I just had the same experience stump is having when I was swapping some KF2 items and cards for the sale with other GAFers over the holidays and it made me remove the authenticator protection and just go back to email. I like the idea of just using an SMS like you seem to have it set up, but I'd rather not have to disable steam mobile guard to do it. Hence my lament of them not offering an SMS message as an option to get your verification code for signing in. :)

Well thankfully EA is going to be on a journey to regain the trust of the PC gamer from now on. What? I'm sure they're not telling fibs.

Backlogger

I think I have a problem. I'm realizing that I kind of give myself two separate budgets for spending money on video games.

One budget is for games I want to play right now. Typically a new or recent release. I am very cheap when it comes to these games. I won't spend $60, but maybe $20-$40 depending on the game and how badly I want to play it.

Then there are bundles. Games that sometimes I have no intention of every playing. Sometimes the bundle might have a game that I might try at some point but lets be realistic, the chances are usually pretty low. I'm willing to spend $3-5 on these bundles. Maybe up to $10 if there is a game I know I will play immediately.

Here is the "problem", for the latter scenario I don't really give myself a budget. I mean, if 5-6 good bundles come out in a month I will buy all of them without even really thinking about it. That is say $15-$30 depending on the month.

For the first scenario, the games I will actually play, I hem and haw (larrydavid.gif) over how much I am willing to spend. If I just cut out the bundles except for games I know I want to play immediately I could probably worry less about how much I am spending on the games I know I want to play.

Anyone else have this problem (or did I just describe 75% of SteamGAF memebers)?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

X-Blades -- MB-EACA3D875BCDA8F4 - Taken by texhnolyze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom