• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in, preordered. I've had a chance to play with it three times for extended sessions, and come away more impressed each time (versus Holo, which is simultaneously *amazing* and a bit of a disappointment once you experience the "small window" of AR in your field of vision versus how it's sold in videos).

I *think* I can even get the Oculus written off as a research expense, so whatever, why not. Then again, i'm one of those fools who bought a $599 PS3, so my opinion is definitely not to be trusted.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
While $600 is expensive, I'm also not sure what a lot of people were expecting. I doubt Sony's solution will be significantly cheaper, either (dependent on how good their technology is and how much money they need to make off of each unit, of course).

Decent VR is going to be expensive for the next few years.

Arthea

While $600 is expensive, I'm also not sure what a lot of people were expecting. I doubt Sony's solution will be significantly cheaper, either (dependent on how good their technology is and how much money they need to make off of each unit, of course).

Decent VR is going to be expensive for the next few years.

so, 3 jobs then?

Where does the Rift ship from? If it's sold and shipped from within EU, the price increase is mainly taxes and we can't do shit about that. If it ships from NA, Rift pockets the money and we would still have to pay ~20% VAT on top of that

Ludens

Banned
Way to ruin any chance of VR taking off and becoming mainstream, thanks Facebook asshole.

Candy Crush Saga Rift.
Oculus should support Watchdogs, it's the only way to win the war.

Now I remember where I saw this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17euo2DzBZI

kaz_riftjms71.png

Way to ruin any chance of VR taking off and becoming mainstream, thanks Facebook asshole.

Anyone who thought it was going to be mainstream in it's current state ill informed to be honest.

PSVR probably won't be much cheaper I think. $500 or $400 bucks I assume if they go any lower I question the quality of it.

We all knew VR would be hardcore enthusiasts first, and then everyone else.

I know I did but, did you see some of those crazies on the gaming side? lol. They thought it would be mainstream this year.

"BUT BUT FACEBOOK BOUGHT IT! IT HAS TO BE MAINSTREAM!"

My sides.

Guessing the UK price is around £500 then.

I mean, my PC only cost a bit more than that

£410 according to a quick google conversion. I'd be interested but i need to test it first as one of my eyes is much better than the other. I find it difficult to get a decent 3D effect and i can't see those magic eye pictures... I need to try these solutions first for sure.

jdw_b

£410 according to a quick google conversion. I'd be interested but i need to test it first as one of my eyes is much better than the other. I find it difficult to get a decent 3D effect and i can't see those magic eye pictures... I need to try these solutions first for sure.

It should be this, but looking in the Oculus thread they've priced it at £500 + shipping on top

lol

Cth

Surprised so many are surprised at the price.

Not surprised VR won't take off as quick as many had hoped either, presumably.

Here's hoping that when it does become accessible for all, that I don't have the same motion sickness I do with certain games now.

morningbus

It's kind of interesting that this seems to be the prevailing thought. I don't think VR needs to be at a mass-market price just yet to eventually be successful.

Considering the technology behind it, our price expectations are kind of weird. Like, we don't have these conversations about most television sets, which most of us probably spent around 600 dollars or more on. And TVs are technologically much simpler than a VR headset solution.

Not to defend Facebook, Rift, or even VR, though. If I would ever be interested in this stuff it would most likely be HTC/Valve's implementation.

so, 3 jobs then?

Work 3 jobs so you can buy a headset and play a farming simulator.

The future.

Anyone who thought it was going to be mainstream in it's current state ill informed to be honest.

I know I did but, did you see some of those crazies on the gaming side? lol. They thought it would be mainstream this year.

Yeah, given the beast-mode PC you need to actually run an Oculus *well*, there is no way VR was going mainstream this year regardless of the Oculus's price. If people we impulse purchasing this thing at a significantly lowered price point there'd be a lot of disappointed people when they found out their machine couldn't drive it properly.

yuraya

Why would anyone blow so much money when there is no killer app or must play VR game of any kind? I remember spending 500$ for a ps3 to play MGS4. That was well worth it but is there anything on the caliber of MGS4 with VR?

If Half-Life 3 or GTA6 was announced as VR exclusive I could see myself getting into that stuff. But a bunch of tech demos or some pretty crytek shit isn't good enough.

I mean I wasnt going to buy right now anyways so even if it was $300 for me it doesnt matter. However thinking about this, you could buy almost 3 PS4s for the price of 1 headset in maple land.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I was thinking of buying VR with my summer job money, well that won't happen now. 700€ is bullshit when us price is $600.
Also I'll get fucked even more because I live in Sweden, taxes on top of that...FML

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Work 3 jobs so you can buy a headset and play a farming simulator.

The future.

The German dream!

I found a VR headset in my price range.

google-cardboard-upload-1407163045-Z2Oa-column-width-inline.jpg

I actually might try it with my phone lol, it should work.

These Google Cardboard things work surprisingly well for what they are, I can only Imagine what a real VR headset delivers...

HTC has said several times they're considering it as a premium product.

hopes... deleted...

It should be this, but looking in the Oculus thread they've priced it at £500 + shipping on top
lol

Yup, Comedy Gold. I knew it would be expensive but at £500+ for the basic set it's going to take a while to get market penetration but at least with Sony and Valve in the market too everyone will be kept on their toes i hope.

MUnited83

For you.
I tried it on Skyrim one year ago or something like that in Vigamus, it caused me motion sickness and a terrible headache, and this for 10 minutes I used it (that was an outdated build, for sure, but still).
This device is totally uninteresting for me (and similar devices like Morpheus etc), adding basically nothing to the game. I'm ok with a pad.

That's a weird statement to make when the only thing you did was play a janky compability mod made by a fan for a game that isn't designed for VR and then a super low budget indie game.
There's awesomely designed VR content out there that is well developed and made with VR in mind, and it won't cause you motion sickness.

Grief.exe

Why would anyone blow so much money when there is no killer app or must play VR game of any kind? I remember spending 500$ for a ps3 to play MGS4. That was well worth it but is there anything on the caliber of MGS4 with VR?

If Half-Life 3 or GTA6 was announced as VR exclusive I could see myself getting into that stuff. But a bunch of tech demos or some pretty crytek shit isn't good enough.

People have been rigging Dolphin games for years to run well on VR.

I don't know if the strength f VR is necessarily exclusive titles, but a new way to experience games, including older experiences.

I was thinking it would be in the $500+ range, so $600 doesn't surprise me at all.

morningbus

Sony won't dare price theirs at 599

How much do you think Sony will sell theirs for? Can it really be significantly cheaper and offer a comparable experience?

In this price bracket is $499 really that much cheaper than $599?

At $399 I'd begin to question the hardware in the device.

Anything below $299 and I doubt it would be any better than those Samsung Android phone VR headsets.

garath

Maybe a million or two will sell in the next couple years. It is going to have a hard life unless other vr solutions are more popular. Devs won't create games for such a small userbase with any reliability which in turn won't sell many rifts.

Doesn't look rosy right now.

header.jpg
header.jpg
header.jpg

Finished Turok for the first time since the 90's. After playing Fallout 4 for like 35 hours it was just what I needed to get my faith back in FPS gameplay. Super fast, super fun, tons* of guns, explosions, secrets, enemies, the new patch today even brought extra joy for blasting dead enemies to pieces... again!

The last few levels are just bat shit insane: bigger weapons, bigger enemies, more of them, everything is bat shit. Final boss was kinda funny because
Chronospector fuck yeah!
but still, what a great game.

Totally recommended for anyone who likes boom boom

http://store.steampowered.com/app/405820/

based Night Dive Studios.

Ludens

Banned
That's a weird statement to make when the only thing you did was play a janky compability mod made by a fan for a game that isn't designed for VR and then a super low budget indie game.
There's awesomely designed VR content out there that is well developed and made with VR in mind, and it won't cause you motion sickness.

My point is I'm not interested into VR thing, of course fan-made products are, well, fan-made, but as I stated there were different softwares created ad hoc for the system, I tried those, they were stupid games I have no interest for, and they still gave me motion sickness. Skyrim has no native support and this was stated by the employee too, in fact they asked me if I wanted try it or not.
The motion sickness was here even with softwared I tried before Skyrim, anyway, ten minutes of that stuff was enough for me to decide I don't need (nor ever like) VR :)

There's already a crapload of experiences that can be experienced in VR. Steam alone already has more than 100 VR compatible games. Fan patches make it so there's even more. Plus emulators like PPSSPP and Dolphin.

You stated motion sickness was related to the fact Skyrim is not officially supported and you now suggest to use emulators and fan patches to play non-compatible games? Lol.

I don't think anyone from Sony will ever get on stage and price something at $599 ever again, but who really wants a headset tied to the PS4, which is underpowered as it is, I think the ball is in HTC/Valves court now.

Unless... StarVR from Overkill takes off...
lol

MUnited83

For you.

There's already a crapload of experiences that can be experienced in VR. Steam alone already has more than 100 VR compatible games. Fan patches make it so there's even more. Plus emulators like PPSSPP and Dolphin.

Maybe a million or two will sell in the next couple years. It is going to have a hard life unless other vr solutions are more popular. Devs won't create games for such a small userbase with any reliability which in turn won't sell many rifts.

Doesn't look rosy right now.
Thankfully there's solutions to make the games compatible with all VR devices ate once, so a Oculus Rift users won't have less games than a Vive user. Of course, the userbase of the Rift might affect the number of games on their own store, but as about the actual VR paradigm it won't change much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom