• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2017 - Magical Pyres can't melt Cold Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeeman

Not that anyone pays attention to daily deals anymore, but it sucks when a new game in a series goes on sale and the older games don't. Dreamfall: The Longest Journey has been on my wishlist for a while and it never seems to get that cheap

neoemonk

I'm on a mission to complete Psychonauts. I've owned it for seven years now. I bought it for $2 back in 2010. It's the oldest Steam game I have that I still haven't finished. In fact, I've played about two hours in seven years. Thankfully it has cloud saving.

Wok

Every game which I see on Steam these days has this kind of screenshot:

bFtFXPt.png

Units, dice, cards, turn-based strategy.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Can anyone help me out with something? I've been trying to use my PS4 controller with Steam, and in most games it works fine, but I'm running into a problem with games that use the right stick where the stick itself isn't working. Instead, it seems to be reading the touchpad as the right stick input. Is there any way to fix this? I've been using DS4Windows as a workaround for these games, but it's a bit of a pain to have to remember to turn it on when I'm playing something like ETS2 or ATS, then back off for other games (specifically Fire Pro since it conflicts with it).

Playing the DOOM free weekend. Impressions so far:

Beat the two single player levels, and they are pretty enjoyable. However, I've been hooked on the multiplayer for a few hours now, which is a surprise since I heard it kinda sucked. I dunno, I'm having fun. Then again, I haven't played any modern multiplayer FPS in quite some time, so maybe it's mediocre compared to others and I wouldn't know. 😝

Typically finish in fifth place or so, which obviously isn't great, but feels pretty good for my skill level haha

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Playing the DOOM free weekend. Impressions so far:

Beat the two single player levels, and they are pretty enjoyable. However, I've been hooked on the multiplayer for a few hours now, which is a surprise since I heard it kinda sucked. I dunno, I'm having fun. Then again, I haven't played any modern multiplayer FPS in quite some time, so maybe it's mediocre compared to others and I wouldn't know. 😝

Typically finish in fifth place or so, which obviously isn't great, but feels pretty good for my skill level haha

I'm not sure how active DOOM's multiplayer has been lately, but try to also keep in mind that there will be a HUGE influx of users like yourself that are playing it for the free weekend.

NeoRaider

I have -25% GMG voucher that can be used for LiS: Before the Storm, both Standard and Deluxe. But i am not sure will it work on other account. If someone wants to try it PM me.

I'm not sure how active DOOM's multiplayer has been lately, but try to also keep in mind that there will be a HUGE influx of users like yourself that are playing it for the free weekend.

True that!

Haven't had to wait too long to get into any matches, so that's been nice. There has been two matches dropped via disconnects, and a bit of lag here and there, though.

I... Wow.

I've thanked you through PM but let me thank you again.
You're the best. This really made me smile after a rough day.
This thread is just full of incredible people.

You bet it is. I gave away some Steam keys yesterday and the guy who won one of the games was so happy that he sent me a key for a game on my wishlist!

You bet it is. I gave away some Steam keys yesterday and the guy who won one of the games was so happy that he sent me a key for a game on my wishlist!

For someone in my current situation, where I can't afford to put a single cent towards non essential stuff, it's amazing.

kionedrik

So I guess the new status quo is to gather up your posse and Review Bomb the game into oblivion.

It's what all the cool kids are doing when there's the slightest bump in the road with their toys.

Not directed at you of course, just been reading about this new entitlement trend on Steam. Millennials, am I right?

Honestly, I think some review bombs are deserved. I remember TW: Warhammer and Paradox games being bombed and I think they deserved it due to the shady, to say it mildly, practices of those devs, because that's basically all the customer can do at that point. It's more or less an exercise of social awareness and cooperation. You see the current reviews are bad or inconsistent with the overall score, you scroll down to read what everyone is complaining about, at least that's what I do.
In this particular case, as in so many others, there's no plausible justification for it unless you're a dick.

MUnited83

For you.
I bought it, but given that the site sends keys in an unencrypted email, I have to ask - how legit is this?

I'm fairly sure it's legit as it has been around for a while now and never saw any devs complaining about it. They are definitely low end and amateurish for sure, but that's not particularly surprising since they mostly dabble on bundling already bundled or very cheap stuff. They do get some nice deals and one or two hidden gems on their bundles ocasionally.

Honestly, I think some review bombs are deserved. I remember TW: Warhammer and Paradox games being bombed and I think they deserved it due to the shady, to say it mildly, practices of those devs, because that's basically all the customer can do at that point. It's more or less an exercise of social awareness and cooperation. You see the current reviews are bad or inconsistent with the overall score, you scroll down to read what everyone is complaining about, at least that's what I do.
In this particular case, as in so many others, there's no plausible justification for it unless you're a dick.

More than that, in both of those cases it affected the games for the better. CA has spent Total Warhammer's entire post-release period attempting to damage control the complaints by adding free content or improving what's already in-game. And for Paradox, it actually got them to undo their terrible regional pricing scheme entirely.

Such fervor can totally change the world.

FLD

Man, I'm so conflicted about Lords of the Fallen. It gets enough right on the surface to seem like a decent Soulslike but once you really get into it there's so much under the hood stuff that just seems utterly fucked up. Enemies just straight up don't obey the same rules as you. Like, having huge hulk-sized demon dudes go on 12+ hits greatsword combos with a complete disregard for the very concept of stamina is one thing. But a freaking human archer should NOT be able to interrupt me in the middle of combo-ing him with a greatsword and stagger me just by poking me with his goddamn bow. It's like your dude gets staggered or knocked back when enemies so much as sneeze in his general direction but hits from you rarely stun anyone.

Then there's how you sometimes take damage during a dodge roll without any kind of visual feedback whatsoever. I mean, you'd expect to get knocked down or something if you screwed up the timing of your dodge but no, dude just keeps right on rolling as if nothing happened and if you're not paying attention you might not notice you just lost 80% of your health. And I'm not even going to get into how I sometimes just instadie regardless of my health when killing a particular enemy type because I'm honestly not sure what the fuck is even happening there.

I want to love it but it seriously feels like the dev either didn't understand why Dark Souls is so good or just straight up went "You know, Dark Souls would probably be better if it wasn't so fair." Is The Surge equally fucked or did they actually learn from their mistakes here? I still want to try it because I've wanted a sci-fi Souls for years but I don't know if my sanity can take another 30+ hours of this bullshit.

zkylon

zkylewd
i feel like lords of the fallen is just superficially similar to dark souls but it just fails to capture the "soul" (sigh) of those games

i mean, i sort of feel the same way about dark souls 3, but dark souls 3 had a combat model that really fun to play while lords of the fallen is clunky and boring imo

Lords of the Fallen combat is just far too slow.

I mean the second boss is a really fast boss and you need like 10 seconds (exaggerated) to hit him.

FLD

i feel like lords of the fallen is just superficially similar to dark souls but it just fails to capture the "soul" (sigh) of those games

Yeah, I think that's fairly accurate. The problem is it's clearly trying to be more than superficially similar but it fucks up everything beyond the surface similarities...

Lords of the Fallen combat is just far too slow.

I mean the second boss is a really fast boss and you need like 10 seconds (exaggerated) to hit him.

You know what, I think that's another thing I hadn't quite put my finger on. There's a particular enemy type that just gets in your face real fast. I hate those fuckers so much and couldn't figure out why they were giving me so much trouble. They're just way too fast compared to what you can do. The game also seems to favor big two-handed weapons, which is a playstyle I never really cared for in Souls. So that doesn't help.

Pixieking

Banned
Sell the base game for basically free, but only discount 25%-50% off the DLC is the new hotness.

New is relative... Sega have been pursuing this business plan with their Total War games for years (since Shogun 2, at least), and there's a reason why Bethesda have a reputation for never putting their DLC on offer.

Really, as consumers, you either resign yourselves to paying more and playing everything reasonably soon after release, or paying way less for the GOTY editions 1/2/3 years after release.

Madventure

Are you even allowed to say "it's pretty cool" if you're under NDA?

It depends on the NDA, if you just clicked yes and went on your merry way probably have no idea what you can actually say or not. Plus it also depends on the company a lot of the times since there's the garden variety NDA or the custom tailored one for specific products or services.

MUnited83

For you.

Depends entirely on the terms of the NDA. Some will smite you with the rage from heaven if you so much say you were in the beta/alpha, others are pretty cool and only ask you to not say stuff about a couple of things.

Dinjoralo

Tekken 7 is really fun, and also backs up my thoughts on Unreal 4 being incapable of having good image quality. Like seriously, why the hell does it have the worst antialiasing I have ever seen?

Meh.
I'm pretty sure I won't get in trouble for saying I like it. Sharing screenshots or talking about what's going on with feedback would be something I'd deserve to get slammed for.

Depends entirely on the terms of the NDA. Some will smite you with the rage from heaven if you so much say you were in the beta/alpha, others are pretty cool and only ask you to not say stuff about a couple of things.

Just for clarification, this was a beta advertised on Pinball FX2's Steam forums.

zkylon

zkylewd
Have you tried watching the anime, zyklon?

i almost missed this one

ASHRHGHHGHHHHHHH

Yeah, I think that's fairly accurate. The problem is it's clearly trying to be more than superficially similar but it fucks up everything beyond the surface similarities...

to be fair to them, getting the 'soul' of dark souls right is a terribly difficult thing that not even dark souls 2 and 3 could do imo

i think it boils down not to following a formula, which is what many of these games are inevitably gonna fail at

part of the reason why demons souls was so huge is because it challenged expectations and created something truly unique. dark souls meaningfully changed that formula and created a new setting, and most of all it presented the game to a whole new audience (360 and pc), but everything else (i haven't played bloodborne) has been just iterative and that's not what souls is about

but yeah, it's tough as fuck

i really disliked lords of the fallen (unlike god eater, that's a game i actually wholeheartly hated), but it set to do something really difficult and ambitious, gotta give it that

Dinjoralo

Hey, where's that website people here keep using to compare screenshots? Google ain't turning up shit. The one where you mouse over the picture to change it.

FLD

to be fair to them, getting the 'soul' of dark souls right is a terribly difficult thing that not even dark souls 2 and 3 could do imo

i think it boils down not to following a formula, which is what many of these games are inevitably gonna fail at

part of the reason why demons souls was so huge is because it challenged expectations and created something truly unique. dark souls meaningfully changed that formula and created a new setting, and most of all it presented the game to a whole new audience (360 and pc), but everything else (i haven't played bloodborne) has been just iterative and that's not what souls is about

but yeah, it's tough as fuck

i really disliked lords of the fallen (unlike god eater, that's a game i actually wholeheartly hated), but it set to do something really difficult and ambitious, gotta give it that

I can understand complaints about Dark Souls 2 as I think it's the weakest of the entire series and by far but I had no issues with Dark Souls 3. I kinda get what you're talking about but my main problem with Lords isn't something abstract and subjective like the "soul" or whatever, it's that it screws up the execution basically across the board.

I wouldn't say that I hated it but I just used a glitch to beat the final boss on NG++ to get the last 3 achievements and I don't even feel bad about it. I'm just fucking glad to be done with it at this point. If I had stopped after NG, I probably would've come out of it feeling more positive about it. The game is at its worst when it tries to be challenging because it's pretty fucked up mechanically. The last few hours of NG++ soured me on the entire thing pretty hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom