• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

1953 - KGB Unleashed -- MB-BD23A6CBEE6448F8 - Taken by Evrain. 1 entrants total.
Tiny Bang Story -- MB-1E5EC3E75B9519F4 - Taken by NotSelf. 2 entrants total.
Time Gentlemen Please - Ben There, Dan That -- MB-ECAEB8A9EA78D9C6
Trauma -- MB-51A0BFC1EBBCC04A - Taken by Sammichu. 2 entrants total.
The Void (this is basically the weirdest game on Steam but it's cool but it's weird as heck also there's like boobies or something I think?) -- MB-9402A147AD99AEE8 - Taken by koma. 5 entrants total.
Mata Hari -- MB-B9E0125275A5AAAF - Taken by louiedog. 4 entrants total.

t1402761767z1.png

Tizoc

So Killer is Dead is one weird, but cool game.

Using the 60 FPS fix right? You can also increase the game's resolution too via a simple fix.

Learn to utilize the dodge counter, you can even do it while blocking attacks.
When an enemy blocks your attack, mash the punch button then return to slashing them with the sword. The charge punch ability is also good, you just need to hold Punch for a split second, once you see him charging, let go and proceed with slashing enemies.

didamangi

...but is it on the first day of the sale? Cuz if so, the following games require under OR whereabouts 10 Keys each and I'm planning on stocking up for them:
Divinity OS
Transformers: Rise of Dark Spark
Witcher 3

Other games I could save up keys for include odd Indie game everyone's getting all hype over.

...I need to check my wishlist again >_>;

You'll have to keep in mind that the sellers will up their prices as well to compensate for the price drop for keys, but for preorders that months away, you can buy the keys at sale price and wait for it to go back up again. This is assuming that those preorders don't get slap with region lock between those times :D

NotSelf

ModBot said:
Instructions for NotSelf:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

IHF Handball Challenge 12 -- MB-DCD789C73DA4E381 - Taken by angular graphics. 4 entrants total.
Foreign Legion: Multi Massacre -- MB-4BF10CA50CD30C44 - Taken by FauX. 3 entrants total.
Victim of Xen -- MB-7C889032C398B732 - Taken by drakaenae. 1 entrants total.

t1402761777z1.png

Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

1953 - KGB Unleashed -- MB-BD23A6CBEE6448F8
Tiny Bang Story -- MB-1E5EC3E75B9519F4
Time Gentlemen Please - Ben There, Dan That -- MB-ECAEB8A9EA78D9C6
Trauma -- MB-51A0BFC1EBBCC04A
The Void (this is basically the weirdest game on Steam but it's cool but it's weird as heck also there's like boobies or something I think?) -- MB-9402A147AD99AEE8
Mata Hari -- MB-B9E0125275A5AAAF

t1402761767z1.png

If you like graphic adventures Mata Hari is nice, I finished it recently and enjoyed it though it was short. It gets my recommendation.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
...but is it on the first day of the sale? Cuz if so, the following games require under OR whereabouts 10 Keys each and I'm planning on stocking up for them:
Divinity OS
Witcher 3

Other games I could save up keys for include odd Indie game everyone's getting all hype over.

I have checked the price history and it seems that they indeed tend to crash from the first day. However, they slightly recovered afterwards in the past Autumn and Winter sale but in 2013's summer sale they hit an all time low and stayed like that trough the whole sale. I think it depends on the deals

You'll have to keep in mind that the sellers will up their prices as well to compensate for the price drop for keys, but for preorders that months away, you can buy the keys at sale price and wait for it to go back up again. This is assuming that those preorders don't get slap with region lock between those times :D

I personally don't expect TF2 keys to hit the current dota key price, so the difference during the sale won't be that significant

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Latest "wow there are a lot of games on Steam" note: Steam is 10 years old. Over 40% of the games on Steam released during the last year.

Grief.exe

So Destiny on PC is a "heavy point of discussion" according to Activision, and a "natural fit" for the game.... as expected. After yesterday's conversation in this thread, it's amusing timing

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ac...-destiny-on-pc-is-a-natural-fit/1100-6420475/

Now that they are closer to console release I assume Bungie will continually drop PC hints. My hype for that game has been consistently deflating as I hear more and more, but I'm sure the marketing campaign will do wonders for it.

Latest "wow there are a lot of games on Steam" note: Steam is 10 years old. Over 40% of the games on Steam released during the last year.

This is getting really bad.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What about Platformines? Is it any fun in coop? At 50% off I'm tempted, looks like Terraria + Borderlands :O http://store.steampowered.com/app/264540/

The developer made two little Xbox Indies games called Platformance; each was basically a single huge level, and the objective was to get through the level with minimal deaths / fastest time. Bright, crisp art style, good physics, challenging, good level designs. They also got Desura releases but never Steam. So on the basis of those, I'm interested in this, because the team has some talent.

Unfortunately, I know Platformines had a bit of a troubled development. Personally I'm not going to jump in until I have more confirmation that it turned out right

Momentary

Banned
Couple of extra games I picked up in the last few days. If one of the Jet Set Radio Keys don't work, send me a message and I'll give you one that does work.
ModBot said:
Instructions for Rayge:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- MEGA GIVERS ONLY! You must have given away at least 25 games through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Cognition An Erica Reed Thriller -- MB-291157B3BBE400DF - Taken by Scipius. 4 entrants total.
Iron Grip -- MB-17C03F2774C3CA83 - Taken by trailmix16. 2 entrants total.
Oniken -- MB-928EAEAAC5939F98 - Taken by Kifimbo. 5 entrants total.
Alien Rage -- MB-4F69D52E1B09E20B - Taken by KenOD. 5 entrants total.
Flyin -- MB-7D4FDD300530298C - Taken by NotSelf. 3 entrants total.
Syberia II -- MB-19770D3D3FADECD9
Legend Of Dungeon -- MB-D7E5121AF517E909 - Taken by pahamrick. 3 entrants total.
Jet Set Radio #2 -- MB-384A9437977F1AE2 - Taken by Gravelord_Nito. 2 entrants total.
Overlord -- MB-EBDB94A16718FE29 - Taken by Cloudius12. 5 entrants total.
Jet Set Radio -- MB-072D967DD743FEB6 - Taken by Deques. 3 entrants total.

t1402772265z1.png

Authority

Banned
The cost of SMAA depends on what type you're using. With 1x the difference between it and FXAA is practically non-existent:

Obviously in cases where a game is struggling to maintain a playable framerate it'd be wise to opt for FXAA to pick up a few extra frames, but it's viable otherwise.

Jasec I am going to ask you in here. What is the ideal AA? I mean which AA mode can get both worlds? (performance + graphics)? Also with AA method is adapting multisampling the best one in that sense?

liezryou

Divinity OS
Witcher 3

Yes, as soon as the sale starts the prices will crash. If i were you, I would buy witcher 3 and transformers now. I don't expect them to be on sale more then they are now, but the key price will rise.

Tizoc

Ah see but with some games I'm going to wait til AFTER the sale and trade for them. TF: Dark Spark for example, I'd get for 7-8 TF2 Keys during the sale if I find such an offer.

OK my current list of games I will attempt to get via Key Trading:
Jazzpunk
Transformers: Dark Spark (will risk the pre-order bonuses, can get it when it's on sale with Gaben Dollars down the line)
Divinity OS
Witcher 3
Wolf Among us
Hack n' Slash
Final Fantasy III
Half Minute Hero 2
Sherlock Holmes Crime and Punishment
Banished
RE4
Battleblock Theatre
NFS: Hot Pursuit
Dawn of Discovery/Anno 1404*
Saint's Row 4 (maybe)
Planet Explorers
Next Car Game
ARMA 3+Karts (maybe)
Rise of Nations
Unrest
Martial Arts: Capoeira
Secret Ponchos
Cinders
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II

*If I get Anno 1404 gifted to me, will Steam treat it as DoD?

Uzzy

So Destiny on PC is a "heavy point of discussion" according to Activision, and a "natural fit" for the game.... as expected. After yesterday's conversation in this thread, it's amusing timing.

Talk is very cheap. I wish publishers and developers would shut up with their whole teasing PC development. Either say it's being made or don't talk.

Talk is very cheap. I wish publishers and developers would shut up with their whole teasing PC development. Either say it's being made or don't talk.

The architecture of the consoles make it easier than ever to port. But you have to factor in for marketing focus, and a PC version down the line is great for a second wind of attention and sales.

With Destiny in particuarler, you have to imagine that Sony has a vested untested in having the "best" version, which a PC version is going to naturally complicated.

Tizoc

Yes, as soon as the sale starts the prices will crash. If i were you, I would buy witcher 3 and transformers now. I don't expect them to be on sale more then they are now, but the key price will rise.

Hmm for 8 keys, I could get TF Dark Spark for under $20...I'll keep an eye on the Steam Market and try to get TF2 keys for under $2.40 then trade for them.

As I understand it, as the price of TF2 Keys drop, the amount traders will want for a trade increases correct?

liezryou

Hmm for 8 keys, I could get TF Dark Spark for under $20...I'll keep an eye on the Steam Market and try to get TF2 keys for under $2.40 then trade for them.

As I understand it, as the price of TF2 Keys drop, the amount traders will want for a trade increases correct?

Yes; What you also could do is buy a bunch of tf2 keys during the sale time and then wait for the sale to finish. As soon as the tf2 key prices go back up you can then get TF Dark Spark or Witcher 3. Of course the risk factor here is, it might get region locked between that time and now.

Zafir

Yes; What you also could do is buy a bunch of tf2 keys during the sale time and then wait for the sale to finish. As soon as the tf2 key prices go back up you can then get TF Dark Spark or Witcher 3. Of course the risk factor here is, it might get region locked between that time and now.
Wouldn't get the pre-order bonus for dark spark either since it comes out during the sale iirc.

aScaris

Sorry for being a little offtopic, but I think this is the best thread to ask. I lost my 100% save of Arkham Asylum and my Arkham City save when GFWL was removed from these games. Today I booted up Max Payne 3 for the first time after a Rock Star Social Club update and had to reassociate my Steam Account to my Rock Star account... Save (and motivation to start over..) gone into nothingness.

How are the chances that my Dark Souls save will go to hell when GFWL is removed? Would really suck, but given recent history it seems quite likely... Please put my worries to rest, SteamGAF! :(

Grief.exe

Sorry for being a little offtopic, but I think this is the best thread to ask. I lost my 100% save of Arkham Asylum and my Arkham City save when GFWL was removed from these games. Today I booted up Max Payne 3 for the first time after a Rock Star Social Club update and had to reassociate my Steam Account to my Rock Star account... Save (and motivation to start over..) gone into nothingness.

How are the chances that my Dark Souls save will go to hell when GFWL is removed? Would really suck, but given recent history it seems quite likely... Please put my worries to rest, SteamGAF! :(

Your Batman saves were fine, just needed a hex editor program to force compatibility with the Steam version. Dark Souls will probably be largely the same.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Jasec I am going to ask you in here. What is the ideal AA? I mean which AA mode can get both worlds? (performance + graphics)? Also with AA method is adapting multisampling the best one in that sense?

There's no easy answer, really, in part because there are many different AA methods, and they all have their advantages and disadvantages; it sort of boils down to personal preference and these days it can vary game to game. For example, MSAA has become a bit problematic in recent years as it doesn't play well with games that make liberal use of deferred rendering since it's applied at each pass and thus becomes a performance hog, while post-process methods such as FXAA and SMAA are generally very "cheap", but their effectiveness varies and FXAA in particular comes with noticeable texture blur.

What I do is that if I'm playing an older game or a title that is otherwise not overly intensive I'll crank up MSAA if the game supports it or downsample if it doesn't, but in newer/more demanding titles I'll opt for SMAA 1x (although few games support it at the engine level) since it's "good enough" and doesn't have much of an effect on framerate. Nvidia's TXAA has its fans, but I can't stand the texture blur, which is why I also avoid FXAA and will force SMAA externally if I have to (even though doing this means it'll interfere with HUD elements).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Dark-Souls-PC-review-8-600x375.jpg

well, your save did at least

aScaris

Your Batman saves were fine, just needed a hex editor program to force compatibility with the Steam version. Dark Souls will probably be largely the same.

Wow, didn't know that. Do you have a link or something? Would really like to try it out! :)

Edit: Nvm, googled and found a tutorial :) Thanks for the heads up!

Dark-Souls-PC-review-8-600x375.jpg

well, your save did at least

Funny you post this pic, since just yesterday I finally left Anor Londo :D

Anybody ?

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
header.jpg

Sid Meier's Civilization III: Complete -- MB-C3CBF8B335C2CAC5 - Taken by ReduxMachine. 1 entrants total.

t1402762765z1.png

The_Monk

I'm assuming you also count the Early Access titles, correct? How did you reach this percentage?

I think it will be more and more harder to filter what's even worth and what's not at this point. Not to mention some games are just using something like "vote yes on greenlight and you will get a Steam key if the game gets released". It can be great for collecting purposes but finding those hidden gems will be harder and harder.

header.jpg

Won this from Kifimbo and just put about thirty minutes or so into it, so here are my early impressions...

The game looks and sounds great, and it controls very well. It's quite addictive too. Even though the gameplay styles are nothing alike, it almost reminds me of Pac-Man in a way. The objective is to collect muffins while attacking and/or avoiding enemies. And this brings us to the big unique standout feature makes this game what it is: each muffin changes your character and method of attack. You might be a knight with a spear or a unicorn with exploding rainbow poops, or any other number of wacky characters. :) You unlock new characters as you go - something like 60 in all, I think - and you can upgrade existing ones.

If I had to nitpick anything, I'd say the game can be slightly cheap sometimes (enemies sometimes fall onto you out of nowhere from the sky and kill you) and you need the mouse for a couple of menu-based things (like upgrading characters), which is an annoying oversight because the second stick isn't used at all. There may be a way to configure this, though (but I don't think so).

There's also a multiplayer mode, but I haven't investigated this (and probably won't), so I can't say if there's any kind of healthy community for this game.

Overall, Muffin Knight is good stuff so far - aesthetically pleasing, addictive, zany, and I love the muffin/character changing mechanic.

Edit: This is apparently a clone of Super Crate Box? I've never played that, so I can't say either way.

Another Edit:

Super Crate Box is free to play - and by that, I mean FREE. Go check it out.
The game keeps crashing on me (even when I open it outside of Steam or run it in compatibility mode).

But from the little I was able to play, holy shit, Muffin Knight is a pretty blatant ripoff. Same mechanics exactly, same type of weapons, even very similar wording for the tutorial messages. I'm not sure if the stage structure in Super Crate Box changes, but the tutorial areas in both are almost an exact match. Obviously, Muffin has much nicer graphics (and doesn't crash), but DAMN!

Tizoc

I'm not in a hurry for Witcher 3, but TF Dark Spark might be an issue, so I'll work to getting it the keys for it in the next few days thanks.

Oh, wow... He must be a legen- *looks at name* O_O... Why are you so famous?! I'm so confused right now.

Lol! I really don't know what's going on.

You will get used. And JaseC should start a SteamGAF wiki to refer the newcomers to understand all the nonsense, in-jokes and references in this thread.

Dambrosi

Banned
Oh, wow... He must be a legen- *looks at name* O_O... Why are you so famous?! I'm so confused right now.

Lol! I really don't know what's going on.
We on SteamGAF have a...reputation for buying games that we later ignore and relegate to our backlog, never to be played. It's a bad habit, to be sure, but when you're like me and have over 770 games in your Steam library alone, it becomes impossible to play all of them in a single lifetime.

JaseC is the de facto God Emperor and Presidente de la Vita of Steam hoarders - he has nearly every game released on Steam so far, except for certain ones that were delisted before he could buy them. Therefore, if you, by some chance, have a copy of The Wheelman languishing in your inventory unused, give him a PM - it couldn't hurt, at least. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom