• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2017 - MASH ALL THE BUTTONS 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

I don't get it. I started up Assassin's Creed on Steam, and I have my Xbox Elite controller turned on, but it isn't recognized. Which of these settings must be on?

cU6ybRn.png

I had the "Xbox Configuration Support" on but that didn't seem to cut it.

[EDIT] It works now. I had to also change it to Xbox controller in the settings. I'm pretty surprised it also has one for Dual Shock 4.

Pachimari

Now I am having other issues with Assassin's Creed. The right analogue stick for camera movement isn't recognized. And the game freezes right at the start of the tutorial.

Is this one of those games that'll give me plenty of problems?

[edit] I've tried this recommended fix from Filesplanet, and now it won't recognize my controller at all.

Seems like the camera controls is mapped to the triggers..

Pachimari

Phew, it took me a while, but I fixed the controls so that I can now control the camera with the right stick instead of the triggers. But still, these controls are so horribly outdated. I've also fixed my problem with the crashings by starting up the DirectX9.exe file for Assassin's Creed, instead of the DirectX10.exe file which Steam starts up by default.

Is there a way for me to tell Steam to start up the dx9.exe file instead of the dx10.exe file when I open up the game through Steam?

[EDIT] So I am at the first memory, and the game keeps crashing, so that I can only exit it by doing the crtl+alt+f4.

What is wrong with this game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I just used a Windows laptop for the first time in probably a decade or so. Brand new Dell. Booted it up, logged in. Computer is completely 100% full. It's only got an 128 GB SSD, but I wouldn't have expected it to be full. Also Dell helpfully installed Office 365, McAfee LiveSafe, and a ton of random Dell programs for me.

MadGear

Reminder DOA5 even with how botched the port is it still looks great.

I'm so bored lately that I actually started playing Core Fighters again (I should have pre-ordered Tekken ..). But yes, this game still looks decent. As for the stage, I like the crazier one like "The Show" way more. They should go full on nuts with the stages and cliffhanger/danger zones in DoA6 (if there'll ever be one).

Hektor

That final boss in Grimrock 2 is T E R R I B L E

It's the entire anti-thesis to what the game has been up to now.

Most of the game was spend puzzle solving and occasionally defeating a handful of enemies, usually 1 vs 3 at most. The biggest horde of enemies i've encountered up until now was the rattling boss and his army of like 10 rats, who still gave you enough choke points to take them out one by one with a good tank at top and DPS in the backrow.

But now the final boss is in one big, open 20x20 grid area with a 6 grid invulnerable boss in the middle who immediately damages you when you get to close to him and up to 20 summons of his that throw projectiles from the north, south, east and west, projectiles that burn you, projectiles that infect grids with onstep dmg, projectiles that poison you, it's simply impossible to dodge all that shit and before i've even killed one wave (the only way to make the actual boss him vulnerable) he's already summoned new ones.

2 Zombies are stilll standing and he's already summoning 20 rattlings, and before i've even killed 15 of those, 2 magma golems, 6 poison spit medusas, 6 bow medusas are already on the field and oh wait, did i tell you about the 10 firearmors that are just like the magma golems immune against fire damage making my firemage completely useless?

I got 20 greater healing potions, 20 greater energy poitions, 4 ressurrections poitions and these ressources are still not enough to even survive the waves let alone beat'em.

And while all of this happens you get his dialogue shown right in the middle of the fucken screen.

Watching youtube videos i can see people beating the boss with a single char and a sword. I have no freakin' idea how that is humanly possible, i am broken, send help.

kionedrik

Has anyone mentioned that Humble is doing a new thing with the monthly? It looks like you get DRM free versions of all the previous humble originals and some other games if you are a subscriber. It seems like such a random and odd thing to do.

That final boss in Grimrock 2 is T E R R I B L E

Plot twist: That's not the final boss.

MUnited83

For you.
Bulletstorm : Full Clip Edition finally got cracked. Now to see if if Randy Liar Pitchford will have it removed.

Denuvo sure helped them a lot, they managed to sell a whole 16k copies, amazing.

Ascheroth

Finished World End Economica Episode 1. Steam says 6 hours, internet says 8-10. I'm a fast reader I guess.

Anyway, impression is mixed, but overall still positive.

It feels a little cheap. Character art is average with not many poses, backround art is good to great, but there isn't that much variety and you'll be seeing the same rooms quite often, or just a black screen when the game doesn't have an appropriate background.
Music is decent too, but not really memorable. And it doesn't loop properly, which is a minor thing, but still kinda annoying. There aren't many sound effects and no voice acting.

There aren't any choices. Not a bad thing per se, but I did end up thinking a few times "why is this a visual novel and not just a regular light novel?" The audiovisual presentation isn't exactly outstanding and it really doesn't use the medium in other ways either.

Now, for the actual plot. I think the premise is super intriguing. Stock trading on the moon in the future? Sounds different. Does it deliver on this premise? ...Somewhat.
The main character can be really unlikeable at times and there's an anime romance in there.
The game also drags a little. There's a fair bit of what feels like meandering disguised as character moments.
Much of the stock trading detail flew over my head but it's not exactly important to catch all the nitty gritty things. Again though, missed opportunity to showcase and explain things with nice graphs and charts and stuff instead of just dialog boxes over black background. That certainly doesn't help with a technical and rather complex topic like stock trading.
However it picks up quite a bit in the second half and even gets pretty intense towards the end, with some really nice curveballs, unexpected conclusions and a cliffhanger that makes me want to read Episode 2.

In the end I come out of this with a positive impression, even though it feels a little half-baked in some areas. It's not amazing, but it's good.

kionedrik

I wasn't being completely honest. That's not the final boss but you can finish the game after beating it.
If you haven't gathered all the fragments
and the 5 elements
you'll not be able to fight the final boss. If I recall correctly
he's behind the locked door in the underground room with the teleporters
. For what it's worth, this boss is the final boss and who you need to beat to get the "real" ending, but, like I said previously, you can end the game after beating the wyvern.

Out of curiosity, what's your team composition and levels? I didn't have any real problems with it with tanky knight + melee hybrid mage + bow archer + gun maniac alchemist.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I'm so bored lately that I actually started playing Core Fighters again (I should have pre-ordered Tekken ..). But yes, this game still looks decent. As for the stage, I like the crazier one like "The Show" way more. They should go full on nuts with the stages and cliffhanger/danger zones in DoA6 (if there'll ever be one).

DOA5 characters actually have more detail than the ones on Tekken 7 (may have to do with the customization pieces) and overall the image quality is more cleaner. The stages on the other hand are all over the place in quality but I have hopes that they will use some of the new tech they learned from Nioh and apply it to the characters and have some more interesting stages while still doing the cliffhangers and danger zones. Also DOA6 is something that they are looking forward to making but first they gotta milk DOA5 for all they can. Afterall with all the DLC they make and sell they do have a rather good business and the F2P version did wonders to get people into the game and splurge on the stuff they want.

I do hope to see more of the old stages which are bigger and visually more appealing than the new ones but I want them to explore more the cliffhangers and danger zones because they kinda didnt do much with it after the first release. Hopefully they show something this TGS because they cant keep milking 5 forever lol.

Amzin

I just used a Windows laptop for the first time in probably a decade or so. Brand new Dell. Booted it up, logged in. Computer is completely 100% full. It's only got an 128 GB SSD, but I wouldn't have expected it to be full. Also Dell helpfully installed Office 365, McAfee LiveSafe, and a ton of random Dell programs for me.

Woah. I'm gonna go with "blame Dell" for that, because I have a Lenovo W10 laptop with ~10 Steam games (and some other software) installed and it's using way under 100GB. I think it's using like 70 right now or so.

Bulletstorm : Full Clip Edition finally got cracked. Now to see if if Randy Liar Pitchford will have it removed.

Denuvo sure helped them a lot, they managed to sell a whole 16k copies, amazing.

Lyin' Randy would somehow spin this as something glorious and to not believe the fake video games news media.

Hektor

I wasn't being completely honest. That's not the final boss but you can finish the game after beating it.
If you haven't gathered all the fragments
and the 5 elements
you'll not be able to fight the final boss. If I recall correctly
he's behind the locked door in the underground room with the teleporters
. For what it's worth, this boss is the final boss and who you need to beat to get the "real" ending, but, like I said previously, you can end the game after beating the wyvern.

Out of curiosity, what's your team composition and levels? I didn't have any real problems with it with tanky knight + melee hybrid mage + bow archer + gun maniac alchemist.

Minotaur berserk with most of his points in vitality, two heanded weapons and evade, decent armor and a good axe.

Lizard knight, with most of his points in evade, armor and single handed weapons, very good armor, decent sword.

Insect mage with most of his points in fire, rest spread across the other elements and cocnentration

Rat thief with most of his points in guns, accuracy, alchemy and a pretty decent gun as well as a lot of bombs.

They are all between level 11 and 12

There aren't any choices. Not a bad thing per se, but I did end up thinking a few times "why is this a visual novel and not just a regular light novel?" T

Kinetic VNs are still a thing and add quite a lot to a LN. I love LNs and VNs, but VNs can offer more with audio, voice acting and good CGs.

Thanks a lot for this guide! I have set my core clock to 100MHz and will go up 20MHz from there. After that, I will overclock my memory clock. Is the default 0MHz or -MHz?

I not sure what your question meant exactly, to be honest.

The default is whatever the clock speed is out of the factory, what the manufacturer sets it to.When I say start with 100MHz, I mean +100MHz above your GPU's default clock speed or its boosted clock speed. Most overclocking software is measured in ADDED clock speed, so when you set it to 100MHz, you're ADDING clock speed, not setting it to that discrete amount.

My GPU as an example (in core clock speeds):

Base/default: 1114MHz
Boost clock (which is a small built-in overclock that activates automatically if temps are low enough): 1253MHz
I overclock it manually with MSI Afterburner to: 1438MHz

Edit: Also, each time after you raise your clock speed, you need to run an intense benchmark to make sure your overclock is stable. Or at least, run an intense videogame. I don't mean raise your overclock by 20MHz at a time until it crashes your computer on your desktop, lol.

Auraela

Banned
How is assaasin creed syndicate n far cry primal

Thinking bout getting both in steam sale. I skipped unity but have played all creed games before it.

Far cry ive played all but 4 primal setting looks more interesting for me thsn number 4

How is assaasin creed syndicate n far cry primal

Thinking bout getting both in steam sale. I skipped unity but have played all creed games before it.

Far cry ive played all but 4 primal setting looks more interesting for me thsn number 4

Primal is a 3/4 "reskin".

AC Syndicate is a step back from Unity imo. Still plays like an AC game, but the nice battle system Unity has, has been dumbed down again.

kionedrik

Minotaur berserk with most of his points in vitality, two heanded weapons and evade, decent armor and a good axe.

Lizard knight, with most of his points in evade, armor and single handed weapons, very good armor, decent sword.

Insect mage with most of his points in fire, rest spread across the other elements and cocnentration

Rat thief with most of his points in guns, accuracy, alchemy and a pretty decent gun as well as a lot of bombs.

They are all between level 11 and 12

Your levels are somewhat low but it should be doable. Does your mage know Fireball and Meteor Shower? Did you use all the special herbs to brew stat potions? Did you give any skulls to your minotaur, afair they give it a huge power boost?

Pachimari

I not sure what your question meant exactly, to be honest.

The default is whatever the clock speed is out of the factory, what the manufacturer sets it to.When I say start with 100MHz, I mean +100MHz above your GPU's default clock speed or its boosted clock speed. Most overclocking software is measured in ADDED clock speed, so when you set it to 100MHz, you're ADDING clock speed, not setting it to that discrete amount.

My GPU as an example (in core clock speeds):

Base/default: 1114MHz
Boost clock (which is a small built-in overclock that activates automatically if temps are low enough): 1253MHz
I overclock it manually with MSI Afterburner to: 1438MHz
When I click on restored to default in MSI Afterburner it goes back to 0, but I don't know where it was at out of the box. I've added +100MHz to the 0.

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Dark Souls II Scholar of the First Sin -- MB-A03E4D7622238CD1 - Taken by oni-link. 17 entrants total.

t1497667653z1.png

Javier23

Banned
Did you play Black Mesa? I believe it's a great tribute to one of the best games ever.-
It's still missing the Xen section, right? I'll get it when they finish it, and probably replay the whole series for the first time in like a decade. I was never a massive fan, but considering the state of the genre I may depressingly find that I now enjoy them far more than nearly every other pure shooter released in the last decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom