• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Full Bore now has a store page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/264060/

The game comes out in less than a week. It includes both part 1 and 2.

Hooray, beat it in full on the install I got from Indiegame Stand, I look forward doing a second time on Steam. Really a well designed and intricate open world title that I'm glad tested my puzzle solving abilities.

DW8: May 13

Hooray, a 100 hours to play over the next year and half.

GAMERGATE said:

Hooray, one of the best super hero video games ever made.

ModBot said:
Instructions for KenOD:
Sign my petition to get the IG-88 assassin droid legacy restored to Star Wars cannon

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Star Wars Jedi Knight Mysteries Of The Sith -- MB-80118627DE703B12 - Taken by Benedict. 16 entrants total.

t1399064953z1.png

Giveaway

rookiejet

I get the impression this was at least partially directed towards me, so I thought I'd offer a bit of clarification.

There's this pervasive strain of... well, it feels almost like self-loathing I see from certain quarters with respect to this hobby. This need for videogames to be taken seriously by people who don't play them (and have no particular interest in them), because they crave validation by mainstream culture. The calls for more of this kind of content, or less of that kind of content, because "otherwise they will never give the medium the respect it deserves".

I'm assuming what I'm describing is the sort of intellectual and social pressure you're referring to, Stump. Personally, I don't think that's a good place for creatives in the industry to take their direction from. It's qualitatively different from mass market pressure. It means working from the tacit assumption that the critics are right, that games as they are now aren't deserving of respect. It's like fans at the dawn of the rock and roll era pleading for these new artists (whose music they claim to love) to change their approach so that the establishment would stop dismissing rock as nothing but noise and/or a menace to society.

When it comes to videogames, there are a vast number of themes that remain unexplored. I'm all for diversity in the medium, and I enjoy seeing developers break new ground. I just don't think seeking validation from elements of mainstream culture is a healthy motivation for change. It smacks of an inferiority complex.

(Sorry, that went longer than I intended. Forgive the derail.)

Springboarding off of your posts. (And I very much agree with your sentiment, Tellaerin.)

It's hard not to generalize when talking about this. But I think the war shooters probably are in the minority. It seems like there are plenty of examples that are not that type of game. In the mainstream even.

I can also imagine it's maybe harder designing game mechanics around positive themes. Destruction and death seem more intuitive, for some reason. They're base, and just get a more satisfactory, illicit vigor, deep in the hind-brain. Not because we're necessarily psychopaths, but because it is transgressive and not something we'd remotely consider in real life. (I think it's fair to assume by this point that the majority of the audience can differentiate between fantasy and reality.)

Again, this is generalization, and I myself can point to plenty examples otherwise, but in the mainstream atleast, I do wish videogame designers would copy boardgame designers more. Atleast, in as far as not being afraid to add abstract mechanics, and not trying to hold to some standard of realism or thematic integrity, so that they can allow for a positive narrative while remaining mechanically interesting. It can be thematicly dissonant and still be poignant in some way.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
which is the best GTA on PC/Mac? I quite like the soundtrack to Vice City, but SA looks like there is more stuff to do?

It depends: when you look at a screenshot of SA, do you feel like you just can't connect with the main protagonist? Like, you can't see him as your avatar?

Dec

Hopefully the Transformers games will be around and on sale in July. Not something I want to drop $20 at the moment but the summer sale is time to stock up.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It depends, when you look at a screenshot of SA, do you feel like you just can't connect with the main protagonist? Like, you can't see him as your avatar?
I just wish they didn't have him be a gangbanger. We have so many of those games featuring those.

Maybe if it was an Italian mobster I would be more interested.

It depends: when you look at a screenshot of SA, do you feel like you just can't connect with the main protagonist? Like, you can't see him as your avatar?

that's an interesting question. I haven't seen a picture of the SA protagonist, it's just NPC's as far as I can tell.

impact

Banned
DW8: May 13

---

TECMO KOEI America today announced that the tactical action game DYNASTY WARRIORS 8: XTREME LEGENDS COMPLETE EDITION will be available for PC via Steam on May 13, 2014. This marks the first time the hit game will be released for the PC in North America and Europe.

“We are excited to at last bring DYNASTY WARRIORS 8: XTREME LEGENDS COMPLETE EDITION to PC players,” said Amos Ip, SVP and General Manager of TECMO KOEI America. “The series has had a longstanding, dedicated fan base, and with the enhanced graphics and higher frame rates possible for PC we’re confident DYNASTY WARRIORS 8: XTREME LEGENDSCOMPLETE EDITION will be a beautiful and fulfilling tactical action experience.”

DYNASTY WARRIORS 8: XTREME LEGENDS COMPLETE EDITION for PC (Steam), PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita, is a treat for DYNASTY WARRIORS fans. The Complete Edition includes all of the content from both DYNASTY WARRIORS 8 and DYNASTY WARRIORS 8: XTREME LEGENDS, thus giving new fans the opportunity to play through both titles.

DYNASTY WARRIORS 8: XTREME LEGENDS COMPLETE EDITION has been rated T for Teen by the ESRB and is available for suggested retail prices of $59.99 for the PlayStation 4 and $39.99 for the PlayStation Vita. The PC version will be available in North America via Steam on May 13, 2014. For more information visit: http://www.tecmokoeiamerica.com/dw8xl/ and Follow DYNASTY WARRIORS 8 on: www.facebook.com/koeigames and https://twitter.com/TecmoKoeiUS.

PC minimum requirements:

Operating system: Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1
CPU: Intel Core i7 860 Processor or Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.4GHz (faster recommended)
Memory: 512MB of RAM (1GB+ recommended)
Recommended Display: 1280×720 pixels or True Color display (16:9)
Hard drive space: 18GB
Video card: VRAM256MB (512MB+ recommended)
3D acceleration corresponding to Pixel Shader 3.0 and above
DirectX 9.0c
Gamepad compatible

I wonder if/when TK will port their games that are actually good to PC. I didn't fill out that survey for nothin!

Beat Star Wars Dark Forces. DarkXL was awesome right up until the last level where the puzzle leading up to the end boss was glitched. There's a display issue with the geometry and the textures that basically renders an incredibly easy looking puzzle impossible. You'll run out of ammunition before you can luck out and land on the correct position of each block and open all five doors that basically lead up to the final boss. There's no noclip in DarkXL but I found out you can press and hold G to walk through the collision between the floor and the door and get to the fight. It's a great mod otherwise but that was kind of frustrating. Now on to Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight.

Both Transformers games for 20$ is an awesome deal. Really fun games, especially if you grew up watching the G1 cartoon as a kid.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
which is the best GTA on PC/Mac? I quite like the soundtrack to Vice City, but SA looks like there is more stuff to do?

The one you have the most interest in theme wise.

Do you like the 1980s? Movies like Scarface, shows like Miami Vice, music by hair bands, real estate scams, and bright colouful colours with plenty of neon? How about buying property, buying a katana at a mall and slicing people, wearing your sunglasses at night as you ride a motorbike around with a trail of light behind you as Twisted Sister's "I wanna rock!" blares away, or just dancing the cocaine night away? Vice City is the way to go.

Do you prefer the 1990s? Rap, African American culture or issues in the gang life, 90s parodies, Pulp Fiction, American Gigolo, Training Day, dressing yourself up, exercising to prevent from getting fat, large area to explore that isn't just a city, flying around, and plenty of brown and other Earth tones? San Andreas is the way to go.
If Los Angeles inspired of the 90s doesn't do it for you, then GTA 3 with it's New York based, Mafia inspired, made man story can still h old up well story wise. Godfather is still a classic after all.

I can't speak to GTA IV as I really don't care for it and I can't escape my bias toward how enjoyable it felt to me. I will say it's the best virtual remake of New York in video games if you just want to wander around and look at high quality game art while using a second monitor/PC or a laptop or mobile and compare real world photos of the city to this Liberty City.

I also say that the original Grand Theft Auto and Grand Theft Auto 2 shouldn't be ignored just because they lack a deep story and are top down rather than third person. They are free after all on PC. http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/
Fun games just to mess around with, do random missions, go on random destructive bents, and so forth that are good time wasters.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Maybe the Lego games will join the fold before the sale ends. :p

Would kill for a sale on Lego Star Wars III. That, Lego Indiana Jones,
and Lego Pirates of the Caribbean
are the only ones I'm missing.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I just wish they didn't have him be a gangbanger. We have so many of those games featuring those.

Maybe if it was an Italian mobster I would be more interested.

To be fair, I don't think there were many ganbanger games before SA, which itself started the trend

MUnited83

For you.
So, does anyone know if those who bought it on IndieGameStand will get Steam keys? Or, at least, I guess that the second part will be released on IGS for free, right? :p

Anyway, been waiting for part 2 to finally start the game, so glad it's coming next week!

Yep, we will get a steam key for both parts!

Benedict

Still some leftovers from my giveaway:

Darksiders II DCL Van Der Smash -- MB-CB6E7C7A06C5B60F
Hacker Evolution Duality -- MB-F663381BC147415E
Hacker Evolution Duality Hardcore Package 1 -- MB-AC16700F4D69E369
HE Duality Inception Part 3 DLC -- MB-3D99687B5F6481AF

Zombie Driver Apocalypse Pack -- MB-E53F67A4489B4B89
Rocketbirds Hardboiled Chicken -- MB-247D399C5B913B4F
Zombie Driver Soundtrack -- MB-196A9A52B74D21E6

Bad part about this playfire stuff, is that none of the games I want from GMG redeem on steam. Watch_Dogs, Dragon Age, Child of Light.

Steam problems, man. Steam problems.

Arthea

Still some leftovers from my giveaway:

Darksiders II DCL Van Der Smash -- MB-CB6E7C7A06C5B60F
Hacker Evolution Duality -- MB-F663381BC147415E
Hacker Evolution Duality Hardcore Package 1 -- MB-AC16700F4D69E369
HE Duality Inception Part 3 DLC -- MB-3D99687B5F6481AF

Zombie Driver Apocalypse Pack -- MB-E53F67A4489B4B89
Rocketbirds Hardboiled Chicken -- MB-247D399C5B913B4F
Zombie Driver Soundtrack -- MB-196A9A52B74D21E6

Thanks, took Darksiders II DCL, a name is sorta cool lol

Silky

Banned
Scourge: Outbreak has a surprising amount of content for the $8 that it sells itself for. I've been playing through the campaign. It's pretty fun!

Arthea

Just got Jedi Knight Collection and Empire at War... Kinda went overbudget but I think it was worth it.

overbudged isn't that bad as overboard. I bought SW collection, both Transformer games, SR4 and 3 PS3 games, all today, not mentioning Cubesis.
I'm pretty sure, I need to look for professional help already. (><)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Great to hear, Rio - you are a man of impeccable taste, so this carries a lot of weight with me. Maybe I should put some GMG credit toward Child of Light, after all (some of the mixed early reviews had me in a bit of a quandary).

Edit: no Steam there, of course. Quandary.
Aww, you're making me blush! But I wouldn't say my taste is impeccable, because it could be considered weird: I don't like BioShock (I mean, I loved the atmosphere and story, but the gameplay is so bad it prevented me from enjoying the whole package) nor Dark Souls, I was never a fan of Super Mario 64, I enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever (and I'm a big fan of Duke3D and DN1), my favorite Nintendo game is Super Paper Mario, I looooved the Mako and planet exploration in Mass Effect, I don't see the appeal in Metal Gear Solid 3 (though I have played very little of it and on 3DS; today I beat
the Pain
) despite loving MGS1 and 2, I really liked the combat system in Remember Me and several other things I'm probably forgetting.

But still, thanks a lot for those kind words :) And yes, buying it on GMG only gets you a Uplay key. I still can't believe how good this game looks, and flying around for the first time made me smile like a child who's opening his christmas presents before midnight. When
Aurora described what's a father
I kinda felt like a tear was about to fall. I'm totally digging the writing, despite reading a couple of valid complains in the game's OT.

Took a bit of poking around but I finally got Star Wars: Jedi Knight to finally run. Have to download a .dll and enable 3D acceleration to make it display properly. Without the display.dll the game would simply crash after the intro cutscene. Without 3D Acceleration on, the game look like rainbow puke.

The button mapping is weird, right mouse click is jump and space bar is use. The game's settings splits keyboard and mouse button mapping up into two different submenus and it doesn't look like I can easily swap the mapping between those two buttons so it plays/controls like DarkXL.

Grief.exe

Took a bit of poking around but I finally got Star Wars: Jedi Knight to finally run. Have to download a .dll and enable 3D acceleration to make it display properly. Without the display.dll the game would simply crash after the intro cutscene. Without 3D Acceleration on, the game look like rainbow puke.

The button mapping is weird, right mouse click is jump and space bar is use. The game's settings splits keyboard and mouse button mapping up into two different submenus and it doesn't look like I can easily swap the mapping between those two buttons so it plays/controls like DarkXL.

Different era.

System Shock 2's default controls are very strange as well.

fantomena

So I just bought Strider for GMG credits.

Strider for free, thanks GMG. Still have almost 30$ left. But will spare them in case GMG get's Transistor and The Forest in.

Freezard

Bought NFS: Hot Pursuit yesterday, tried to play it now but the game is stuck on "connecting to Autolog servers...". God damnit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom