• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2017 - Praeying for Dino Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Now, hyped with Remedy games, I'm thinking about buying Quantum Break, but there are some things I'd like to know:
- Windows Store version or Steam version? Which is the one that runs better?
- Heard that QB has tons of cutscenes. Is it much more than Alan Wake?
- A more generic question: Would you recommend me Quantum Break?

1) The Steam (DX11) version runs a bit better
2) Each level ends with a ~20-minute live-action cutscene, and, yeah, they can drag on a bit
3) Quantum Break is another great example of Remedy's knack for strong environmental design and it's actually a very solid third-person shooter (I didn't care much for the story myself, but it's engaging enough to not turn into white noise)

Edit: I'd recommend playing on Hard if you'll be using a kb&m as the finer control the mouse offers makes combat encounters a cinch. I literally used nothing but time powers and pistols (the standard one almost exclusively) throughout the entire game. Also, the final boss fight is awful.

Now, hyped with Remedy games, I'm thinking about buying Quantum Break, but there are some things I'd like to know:
Gameplay wise, it's really good. Posted this last year
I finally got around to playing Quantum Break today, and was surprised to find a game that, kind of like a certain other shooter with cover that's not really about cover, promotes aggressive combat and constant movement.

For one, cover isn't very effective. You don't really stick to cover, and enemies love to flank you and throw grenades to get you to move. But besides that, the time powers themselves all encourage you to be moving and getting up close and personal with enemies. Your dash not only lets you quickly evade gunfire and stun enemies when you hit them, but also rewards smart flanking with a few moments of bullet time to unleash some shots. Your time slow bubble lets you cordon off a direction or block bullets from a certain area forcing enemies to move, and rewards good positioning and timing with stopping entire groups of enemies. Your shield lets you create protection on the move, and unleash a shockwave at melee range, again encouraging you to get close and stun enemies especially if you have a shotgun.

Those and your other moves combine to form a moveset that encourages to keep moving, flanking enemies, getting to melee range than jumping back out, evading fire.

SimpleSlushyChimneyswift.gif

Javier23

Banned
So, I've finished Alan Wake today, and thought it was an amazing game! During the 1st chapter things were a bit slow, but from chapter 3 to the end I was totally hooked, tense and amazed by everything. Loved it! The end was a bit "WTF!" but since I enjoy stories that goes crazy like that I really appreciated it too.

I have this game on my backlog since 2012, but back then I was finding a bit frustrating the 1st chapter (was playing on Normal mode, which is the Hard mode from Xbox and didn't know). I changed it to easy started the campaing again, and it made things easier at the start. But at a certain point, when I dominated the controls and realized how to better approach each situtation, I realized that ammo and batteries were not a problem at this mode. But I was okay with it... the game atmosphere let me very tense, constantly, so having some extra resources helped me psychologically. lmao

Here are some spoiler free screenshots I took:

Make sure you play the two DLC episodes that are included with the game! Then there's also American Nightmare.

Pachimari

Hmm, this is gonna be off-topic, because I don't know where to ask this. It was either in this gaming thread, or the hardware thread ("I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!) but my problem is software based. All of my icons on the desktop has started to be blank white icons, no matter if it is Office files, the recycle bin or images. And when I click on "This PC" it doesn't load my "devices and drives." I've tried scanning my computer with Windows Defender and it says there's no threats detected.

iCpYgUr.png

------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm really thinking of buying some of that DLC for Cities: Skylines on GMG. I don't think they've ever been cheaper than that.

zkylon

zkylewd
got a bit further into dark souls 3, pontiff sulyvahn was such a cool boss, definitely one of the highlights of the game, just like i remembered

i don't think i agree with my initial impressions of the level design, while it's still pretty good i just find the linearity of it super tedious compared to dks1 and even 2

i'm trying to shake things up and do things out of order from my first playthrough (i still fell into the same trap and did abyss walkers before carthus catacombs cos that dungeon is super hidden in plain fucking sight), but it feels like i'm retracing my steps to a depressing degree, it's sad to think out of all the things they didn't bring back for 3 to give the series a proper sendoff, they chose not to bring back the interconnected open world elements

anyways, playthrough still going ok, but i wish this game was shorter. it feels like it's gonna take forever to beat

Manatox

Hmm, this is gonna be off-topic, because I don't know where to ask this. It was either in this gaming thread, or the hardware thread ("I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!) but my problem is software based. All of my icons on the desktop has started to be blank white icons, no matter if it is Office files, the recycle bin or images. And when I click on "This PC" it doesn't load my "devices and drives." I've tried scanning my computer with Windows Defender and it says there's no threats detected.

Have you tried restarting the PC? I'm not sure the cause, but this happened to me a few times before, and restart fixed it all.

Pachimari

Have you tried restarting the PC? I'm not sure the cause, but this happaned to me a fw times before, and restart fixed it all.

Yes, and when restarting, sometimes it works, other times it don't. This problem has been consistent throughout the past few weeks. And it's really bothering me. I've tried checking all of my harddrives with CrystalDiskInfo and they're are all in good health.

zkylon

zkylewd

iCpYgUr.png

------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm really thinking of buying some of that DLC for Cities: Skylines on GMG. I don't think they've ever been cheaper than that.

this sounds legit?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...top-icons-have-become-blank-easy-fix-articles

prudislav

Some bundle spares
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (prudislav, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Divide By Sheep -- MB-E96D483841B2A0D7 - Taken by Diedac. 5 entrants total.
No Time To Explain Remastered -- MB-641EDA85FE983B93 - Taken by Ventilaator. 1 entrants total.
Party Hard -- MB-C131B47497B052E4 - Taken by Jalal. 9 entrants total.
Road to Ballhalla -- MB-DB3B4ADED3783FE1 - Taken by Axass. 2 entrants total.
SpeedRunners -- MB-0D4C4F0588887A5F - Taken by Hakkelus. 1 entrants total.

t1495371074z1.png

So, I've finished Alan Wake today, and thought it was an amazing game! During the 1st chapter things were a bit slow, but from chapter 3 to the end I was totally hooked, tense and amazed by everything. Loved it! The end was a bit "WTF!" but since I enjoy stories that goes crazy like that I really appreciated it too.

I have this game on my backlog since 2012, but back then I was finding a bit frustrating the 1st chapter (was playing on Normal mode, which is the Hard mode from Xbox and didn't know). I changed it to easy started the campaing again, and it made things easier at the start. But at a certain point, when I dominated the controls and realized how to better approach each situtation, I realized that ammo and batteries were not a problem at this mode. But I was okay with it... the game atmosphere let me very tense, constantly, so having some extra resources helped me psychologically. lmao
This is exactly how i feel about Alan Wake when i played it for the first time. When i choose normal difficulty for the first time i absolutely hate this game, but when i played it again on easy it suddenly become so awesome. I think normal difficulty in Alan Wake really hurts story pacing, and i don't understand why they locked some collectible pages of Alan manuscript in Nightmare difficulty, i was forced to unlock this difficulty with dev menu when i replayed Alan Wake on Steam in order to get them.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Am I pretty much guaranteed to have 21:9 support on gaming releases these days? Debating whether to buy a 21:9 monitor. I'd really like one.

NeoRaider

Am I pretty much guaranteed to have 21:9 support on gaming releases these days? Debating whether to buy a 21:9 monitor. I'd really like one.

I was thinking about LG 25UM58-P. One of the cheapest (not that cheap in my country) 21:9 monitors. It's IPS and apparently it has very good panel. But i am still not sure because of 21:9 for gaming. I never used 21:9 before.

fantomena

Played the tutorial of Rimworld, was fun, however the design is very similiar to Prison Architect.

Also installed Factorio, hopefully that goes well too for me.

Hektor

I understand they're very different, but Alan Wake is very story driven too, and it seems to be the case with Quantun Break. So both shares the same developer company (Remedy) and this other characteristic.

I was wondering if, besides different games, Quantum Break is still a good game by it's own and if it has as much gameplay time as AW. Cause I was totally ok with Alan Wake play time, but heard many critics about it regarding QB.

As a big fan of remedy i was massively disappointed by QB.
The story never goes anywhere interesting and the gameplay, while fun initially, barely ever shakes things up making the game feel incredibly repetitive at spots.

The Live-Action cutscenes also don't feel like they add all that much to the game, tho Lance Reddick's performance is pretty stellar

Exclusive Surge footage.

Did anybody make him an WWE character yet

xist

Duplicate -

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (xist, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Three Dead Zed -- MB-76779979767FEC99 - Taken by purseowner

Phinor

Generally I'd say the bigger the budget of the game, the higher the chance it has 21:9 support. Something like 2D indie games obviously rarely have support for ultrawide but I've yet to see a game that didn't work at all. Going from 27" 1440p 144Hz Gsync to 34" ultrawide was bigger jump than upgrading from regular 1080p crap to that already great 27" monitor.

One thing that annoys me with 21:9 is games that support 21:9 during gameplay but cinematics have black borders all around the image. Same with Youtube, for stupid reasons even if a video is at around 21:9 aspect ratio, most videos have black borders all around the image. The older the Youtube video, the higher the chance that it shows properly so it's a recent change they've done.

But i'd never want to go back to 16:9 or 16:10 for gaming.

Grief.exe

2) Each level ends with a ~20-minute live-action cutscene, and, yeah, they can drag on a bit
3) Quantum Break is another great example of Remedy's knack for strong environmental design and it's actually a very solid third-person shooter (I didn't care much for the story myself, but it's engaging enough to not turn into white noise)

Edit: I'd recommend playing on Hard if you'll be using a kb&m as the finer control the mouse offers makes combat encounters a cinch. I literally used nothing but time powers and pistols (the standard one almost exclusively) throughout the entire game. Also, the final boss fight is awful.

That's similar to Alan Wake, where I felt the game opened up a bit more on the harder difficulties.

Javier23

Banned
Any other SteamGAFers watching the new Twin Peaks tonight? Sooooo excited, but keeping expectations in check.

IT IS HAPPENING AGAIN
I can barely contain myself. The fact that we're getting 18 more hours of Lynch after a decade would get me very excited already. The fact that it is an 18 episodes full third season of Twin Peaks is just literally a dream come true for me.

ModBot said:
ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (hardcastlemccormick, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Steamworld Heist -- MB-A89103DAD61DC794 - Taken by Jalal
PGP3OVL.png
Mount & Blade (GOG) -- MB-9515D21BC8979B90

Steamworld Heist was my GOTY for 2016. Enjoy it!

ModBot said:
Instructions for InquisitorAles:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

LawBrakers closed beta #1 -- MB-B1B4A07478C5A43E - Taken by Afro
LawBrakers closed beta #2 -- MB-5D738814F6032C7B - Taken by TsuXna
LawBrakers closed beta #3 -- MB-4ECE967EA1ABDE54 - Taken by electroflame
LawBrakers closed beta #4 -- MB-9DDDD8A6C83F6720 - Taken by Rayge
Looks like there are still 2 keys left, can i repost this message on new page if i forgot to add autorepost rule when i was submitting this giveaway to modbot?

This may be old but the developers of Survival Zombie are adding personal achievements for every copy of the game that you buy. You get to customize the image, text and description. Some people are using them to customize the looks of their profiles.
Gotta respect the hustle.

Parsnip

Been playing a bunch more Mad Max. The batman combat didn't really improve with more time, it just feels off, imprecise. The camera doesn't do it any favors either, I've been punched from off camera way too many times. In the Arkham games the camera kind of settles way above the action so you have a good view of your surroundings, not so in Mad Max.

But the simplistic car combat is enjoyable.

Any other SteamGAFers watching the new Twin Peaks tonight? Sooooo excited, but keeping expectations in check.

IT IS HAPPENING AGAIN

YES.

It kind of sneaked up on me too somehow.

Tizoc

can someone help me ys oath in felghana when using the xbox one controller the camera just auto rotates constantly

Tried to look this up for you, but it seems that the latest driver update for the X1 controller mess up how Ys OiF reads your X1 controller and causes this.
One thing you could try is maybe use Input Mapper or an XInput software to see if that fixes it?

Kssio_Aug

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies!! =)

Gameplay wise, it's really good. Posted this last year

Very good analysis! Will definitely check it out, the combat indeed seems very good!

20 minutes cut-scenes seems a bit excessive, but I think I can handle it as long as it has enough play time too.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, I paid 10$ for QB and felt robbed.
Just stop with Alan Wake or go back to Max Paynes which are still great games, QB is just such a slog.
If you insist on playing it the Windows Store version is the DX12 and Steam is DX11 which performs better, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PK55-kCviA

Will grab the Steam version then! But will probably wait it gets a bit cheaper.

Make sure you play the two DLC episodes that are included with the game! Then there's also American Nightmare.

I will defeinitly do it! Am installing American Nighmare now! =)

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Oniken -- MB-3ED3B266139A3790 - Taken by Dangerblade
Punch Club -- MB-74061722303D9BD3 - Taken by sixteen-bit

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
20 minutes cut-scenes seems a bit excessive, but I think I can handle it as long as it has enough play time too.

While the game does like to indulge in its storytelling, the campaign isn't on the short side and there's a good amount of shootbang. HLTB says 10-20 hours, depending on how thorough you are.

Auraela

Banned
Tried to look this up for you, but it seems that the latest driver update for the X1 controller mess up how Ys OiF reads your X1 controller and causes this.
One thing you could try is maybe use Input Mapper or an XInput software to see if that fixes it?

Ill give that a go thank you

Parsnip

can someone help me ys oath in felghana when using the xbox one controller the camera just auto rotates constantly

Are you using the steam controller configuration thing? Try it if you are not.

edit: I also don't seem to have this problem as far as I can see, I'm using the latest win10 drivers for the xbone pad.
Unless it manifests itself later in the game.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Mystery GIF -- MB-0EEA12DA4B023DE1 - Taken by NeoRaider

my big 200mm fan in my antec 900 case is starting to go bad. I think the ball bearing is wearing out. At least for now i lowered the fan speed to low and seems to have stopped making the noise it was.

now i need to look into replacing it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom