• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2017 - Praeying for Dino Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've finished Max Payne 3 8 or 9 times and it's still the best TPS to be released. Unparalleled animations, hit reactions, and control. 1 and 2 do not hold up mechanically, and have just some god awful segments.

Quantum Break in comparison was even more cutscene oriented than MP3 and barely has any combat to even experiment with the powers. Such a disappointing and dated game.

And again, god damn at the hit reactions.
1160F7ABFDFEA42D6396EAB841FE680967FEB6DF

Regginator

Does anyone here use ReLive on AMD Radeon Settings? Since a week or two I can't record or save replays anymore, it kinda happened overnight. I thought updating to the newest driver would fix this, but it didn't. Other people having the same issue and/or know how to fix this? Good ol' Google couldn't help me.

Anteater

max payne 3 was just so slow, it's such a drag mechanically, it does have awesome animations but god damn it was painful to play, it's like everything is in slow motion and the slowmo just makes it even slower, sure max was drunk and he's old and he's fat, and they captured that really well, but still

I don't think it feels slow at all, 60 FPS+ and with a mouse and you're whipping all over the place. Constantly, pulling off 4 or 5 head shots in a single slomo dive.

Anteater

nah I'm talking interms of movement, heck there are dozen of scenes where you're forced to just shoot some dudes in slowmo in some cutscenes, you can shoot them all in seconds but man it was so sloooooow

edit: I'm totally gonna give it a second chance tho on a replay, just that the game takes so much space lol

I've finished Max Payne 3 8 or 9 times and it's still the best TPS to be released. Unparalleled animations, hit reactions, and control. 1 and 2 do not hold up mechanically, and have just some god awful segments.

Quantum Break in comparison was even more cutscene oriented than MP3 and barely has any combat to even experiment with the powers. Such a disappointing and dated game.

Does this only use Rockstar Social Club for the initial activation? I don't want to get it otherwise.

zkylon

zkylewd

too bad rockstar takes control from you every 2 minutes to make max open a door or lean against a wall or force a terrible unskippable cutscene on you

like all of that really bogs down the action to the point i hated the game

Anteater

too bad rockstar takes control from you every 2 minutes to make max open a door or lean against a wall or force a terrible unskippable cutscene on you

like all of that really bogs down the action to the point i hated the game

even then i can't say i enjoyed the actions all that much due to the level designs, i do enjoy the last air port level tho

I actually played max payne 1 & 2 after 3, and surely they have their problems I really enjoy them more

zkylon

zkylewd
even then i can't say i enjoyed the actions all that much due to the level designs, i do enjoy the last air port level tho

I actually played max payne 1 & 2 after 3, and surely they have their problems I really enjoy them more

agreed

and most of all, a max payne game that has max payne acting like a pathetic unlikeable asshole is a complete failure, and that's mp3

all the animation budget in the world is not enough to save it from the shittiest writing ever

The Bethesda launcher is some hot trash so I sincerely hope they don't kneecap the game (and essentially the potential life of the entire genre) as a result of trying to give it some exclusivity there, not even for a limited time. The game needs to be on Steam, and it needs to be there on day one for it to have a chance. But knowing the boneheaded decisions that they've made in the past with Quake and how it seems like the genre is cursed to have these poor choices made towards game health, I almost feel like this will be another case of outside factors resulting in the further mindset that "people just don't want to play these kinds of games anymore".

But hey, if they don't try to strong-arm their launcher with a game that does not have the strength to brute force adoption, there'll be some good times ahead.

I don't think the game has any chance, to be honest. I think champions/abilities and different movement speeds and movesets and health bars are all bad design choices for Quake. It's easy to see that they're trying to go for the hero shooter market but the game will run into the same issue that Titanfall 2 did; The skill floor will be low and the skill ceiling will be too high. This will lead to your average person getting slaughtered and then going right back to Overwatch or Battlefield or whatever else they were playing. And then you'll be left with a small community who are ambivalent at best about some of the design choices.

And I absolutely expect the game to be exclusive to the Bethesda launcher for a while at least. Fortunately I haven't had any trouble with it yet but a friend of mine missed an entire beta weekend because he couldn't even get the game to download. I do think they will put it on Steam eventually though, so I'll wait until that happens before I buy it. I expect Elder Scrolls 6 is the game that will truly be exclusive to this launcher but that's at least 2-3 years out.

nah I'm talking interms of movement, heck there are dozen of scenes where you're forced to just shoot some dudes in slowmo in some cutscenes, you can shoot them all in seconds but man it was so sloooooow

The problem was inertia as implemented in the Euphoria engine. The Witcher 3 ran into the same issue where people thought the controls were imprecise because of realistic momentum conservation. Turns out gamers prefer responsive, precision controls over realism in this particular case.

I still thought Max Payne 3 was a fantastic game. If only they had not made the cutscenes so prevalent and unskippable. That game landed bang in the middle of the 'cinematic videogame' phase and paid dearly for it. And Rockstar had to have known that unskippable cutscenes were a major complaint for their playerbase but they were not bothered enough to fix it. Such a shame.

As far as "normal person" TPS games go, this one features the greatest gameplay. It's the fullest realization of John Woo's The Killer/Hard Boiled in video game form. To this day, I haven't played a TPS that leaves me breathless after almost every shootout the way MP3 does. The way every movement and shot has a tangible consequence makes basic gameplay memorable, even if it's just during a fight with a couple enemies at once.

That said, the unskippable cutscenes make the experience agonizing; all I want is to experience the game for a decent length of time without having it snatched away from me. I cant call it the best TPS game because of that.

Steam says I've played for 70+ hours. Much of that was spent replaying certain checkpoints just because it was quicker than having to sit through whole minutes of cutscenes (or just little moments of opening doors, climbing ladders, etc.) that cannot be fully skipped past. That ch. 6 main office shootout with back-to-back onslaughts is a blissful bit of more-or-less unadulterated video game for me, but the entire level is pockmarked with those transitions (and ch. 6 was one of the better ones in this regard).

There's a version of MP3 in which the mid-level dialogues and transitional sequences are actually integrated into the game that makes it my end-all be-all action title. There are several smaller aspects of the gameplay that I'd like to see improved upon in a theoretical sequel, but none of that matters compared to making sure I can just play the game without the tortuous way the gameplay is doled out to me. If it was to mask loading, then let there be a sequel (direct or spiritual) that overcomes that issue.

The co-op mode (which is playable as a singleplayer affair) was almost a satisfactory remedy. The fact that there are only two levels, it's only wave-based horde mode and the bullet-time doesn't function in quite the same way as in the main game makes it a bittersweet experience.

I'd want a sequel to follow the core gameplay direction of MP3 and have the dialogue by Sam Lake so no one will complain about it as much.

yuraya

What do you guys think the odds of them doing a GOG connect thing for Alan Wake in the future?

I don't really like the game enough to double dip on it since I own it on Steam. At the same time it feels bad not owning it on GOG since I own American Nightmare when they gave it away for free years ago.

Anteater

The problem was inertia as implemented in the Euphoria engine. The Witcher 3 ran into the same issue where people thought the controls were imprecise because of realistic momentum conservation. Turns out gamers prefer responsive, precision controls over realism in this particular case.

I still thought Max Payne 3 was a fantastic game. If only they had not made the cutscenes so prevalent and unskippable. That game landed bang in the middle of the 'cinematic videogame' phase and paid dearly for it. And Rockstar had to have known that unskippable cutscenes were a major complaint for their playerbase but they were not bothered enough to fix it. Such a shame.

yeah I think it's because Max Payne 3 is just a corridor shooter mostly, if the engine was to be used in any other game like gta I think I'd praise it more, like you said Witcher 3's combat was sorta crappy (so was gta4), but those games have other things going for it

the first 2 MP games and other TPSs are much more responsive, and not supposed to be anything close to realism, I do think the physics/animations were super good in Max Payne 3, but structure wise, the level design and also how the character controls I really didn't enjoy it that much

Remedy fell into an even worse trap with Quantum Break, Game is 70% unskippable slow walking, 10% awful television, 15% mediocre platforming, and 5% actual combat. Such a shit game.

And Euphoria is what makes Max Payne 3 so satisfying. Every dive you make has weight, people crumble in dynamic and interesting ways and so on. You can honestly spin around as fast as any other game and it's not clunky unless you literally throw yourself into the side of a wall.

Corpekata

Banned
What do you guys think the odds of them doing a GOG connect thing for Alan Wake in the future?

I don't really like the game enough to double dip on it since I own it on Steam. At the same time it feels bad not owning it on GOG since I own American Nightmare when they gave it away for free years ago.

Absolutely zero. They would have no legal right to do it and could even get in trouble for it.

Kssio_Aug

This weekend I came back to two old games I had in my Steam library, sitting there for looong time. It was Shank 2 and Deadlight.

Shank 2 was pretty awesome. Gameplay was really great, and besides some frustrating sections here and there, the overall experience was pretty awesome!! Never played Shank 1, am thinking about wishlisting it now! I highly recommend the game, and it's not extremely short (it took me at about 4 hours).

Deadlight wasn't good though. It actually was pretty interesting till the sewer section, from there onwards the game goes downhill till the end. Extremelly frustrating sections, one after another... the game starts to demand a perfect timing from the player but the gameplay is clunky and you fail cause it didn't do what you wanted it to do. Also, it's usually hard to understand which objects you can interect with, which lead me in some sections to jump in some "platform" that actually wasn't a paltform. Specially frustrating by the end. I do not recommend it.

Can you skip cutscenes in Max Payne 3 yet?

I liked what I played of it, and tried finishing it like 10 times, but I just can't stand the constant cutscenes popping up after every door.

Rockstar social club seems to have ate my Max Payne 3 save and all my unlocks ;-;

Someone come beat Charlie Murder with me. Penultimate stage is a bitch.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Can you skip cutscenes in Max Payne 3 yet?

I liked what I played of it, and tried finishing it like 10 times, but I just can't stand the constant cutscenes popping up after every door.

I've been tempted to re-install since I heard you can delete all the movies and still play it, but I haven't tried it yet.

Buraindo

And that's that for Dark Souls 3 and its DLCs. Defeated all the bosses, completely messed up one NPC story line in TRC as usual, and for the first time in a while got stuck on not one, but two really cool bosses. I couldn't be happier with it all, TRC especially. Though I have to say I'm glad they decided to end it here.
I'm looking forward to whatever From Software comes up with next.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is there some way/workaround to still buy games and store them in my steam inventory?

Nope. It's completely impossible to purchase a gift for later use.

Wait you can't do that anymore? Whats the rationale for not allowing it? To crack down on trading? Didn't region locking kill steam game trading by itself?

Enterprising users can no longer undercut the store by hoarding spares during a discount period and selling them on the likes of G2A and Kinguin.

The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile really holds up and is an incredibly fluid action game that any fan of the genre should check out even if they didn't like Salt and Sanctuary. It's also a much harder game and not one to choose for a drink when you die game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom