• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2017 - Praeying for Dino Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.
So.... how many folks are optimistic that the PC version of Prey will be good after Dishonored 2 and the lack of a PC demo?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
As much as I dislike Japanese title names that barely make any sense for their nearly random use of English, Birthdays the Beginning is a memorable name.

tuxfool

Banned
Arkane behind Prey:

rjz7qyy.png

Eh. I made a snide comment in one thread wondering about their pedigree. Somebody from Arkane mentioned they had people from all sorts of old immersive sim projects. IIRC they even had people from Looking Glass.

zkylon

zkylewd
God, this year is going so fast! And so much good stuff coming out!
I was thinking about getting Prey, but after the fuckup that was Dishonored 2 I think I'll wait for a bit. Hope we are wrong and it turns out it gets a decent PC version, but that's not very likely.
ye i basically consider the money i spent on dishonored 2 stolen as that thing runs like absolute garbage

on top of this being a much less interesting prey 2, they just set a really bad precedent for preordering their games so no thanks arkane

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Birthday's the Beginning looks intriguing, never heard of it before.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Cosmic Star Heroine - 7,970 ± 2,634

Damn this is a crying shame. The game is wonderful.

It has great music. The visuals are perfectly in line with the kinds of games they were emulating (Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star). AND the battle system is probably the most engaging in an RPG in years.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
birthdays the beginning is going to be great, i feel it in my bones. not sure i'll get a chance to play it near release but really looking forward to it.

Man, a new Dino Crisis updated with the latest science that we know about them. It would be awesome.

feather-dinosaur.jpg

STRAFE month comin strait at ya.

Hope its good. I'm waiting for reviews to hit before diving in.

wow, didn't know they were such a small studio nowadays. But that doesn't justify the quality of the ports they put out. If they can't do a quality port themselves they should hire someone else to do it. I definitely think they are not hurting saleswise as to justify not spending a bit more on a good port.

No, they aren't small. Between Texas and Lyon they have over 200 full time employees and contractors. The Prey group shot was just the leads in Texas.

Mivey

On that note, I realized how the name Dino Crisis is fitting the games in a deeper sense. Like the dinosaurs, the games are an ancient petrified relic, belonging in a museum.

That CSH total is garbage. Even though its lodged in the on-deck circle i pulled the trigger. Speaking of backlog...

Huh. It just hit me that Dark Messiah is my favourite Ubisoft game.

It's such a weird, cool thing.

Been in The Backlog for months but going Sub-Zero on some fools put it in my sights.

Regina would be a way better MvC:I pick than frickin' RE5 Chris. The man is blandness distilled.

She could have a super with a dino busting out and chompin' a fool or something.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
that dinosaur game looks interesting but does it have the dull, monotonous tone of every world builder game?

I honestly don't know how people get into it in the first place. It is something that is legitimately mystifying to me.

It's pretty fun once you learn it and I use to have a group of friends who enjoyed playing it together. Then some of them stopped. So I played with random people and they acted like winning at Dota was life or death. Racism, sexism, ect. I got fucking tired of it.

It's pretty fun once you learn it and I use to have a group of friends who enjoyed playing it together. Then some of them stopped. So I played with random people and they acted like winning at Dota was life or death. Racism, sexism, ect. I got fucking tired of it.
I guess it's just, what gets someone wanting to learn it to begin with? With just about every other game out there I can see some kind of immediate draw, but with Dota (and I suppose MOBAs in general) it's like you're given dozens upon dozens of characters to think about, matches last something like 40 minutes on average, just getting to a point where you can try out each character once will take something like 50+ hours, and that doesn't touch upon on the reputation of the community being pure radioactive waste.

Like it always seems someone has to be indoctrinated to actually get the ball rolling, there's just no natural curve to it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
you play videogame.

you like videogame, you keep playing videogame.

or you dont like videogame, and you dont play videogame anymore.

Anteater

best thread so far

also I think feather with dinosaurs would work incredible with video games because eventually they will get burned off during the fights

I guess it's just, what gets someone wanting to learn it to begin with? With just about every other game out there I can see some kind of immediate draw, but with Dota (and I suppose MOBAs in general) it's like you're given dozens upon dozens of characters to think about, matches last something like 40 minutes on average, just getting to a point where you can try out each character once will take something like 50+ hours, and that doesn't touch upon on the reputation of the community being pure radioactive waste.

Like it always seems someone has to be indoctrinated to actually get the ball rolling, there's just no natural curve to it.

Can't really explain it, I guess the amount of characters can be overwhelming but I'd just pick the ones I liked (aka look cool) and try them out. Playing along with friends helped and I wouldn't notice the time passing.

I mean I mostly gave this game a chance when it came out cause Valve made it and I wanted to see what it was.

Ozium

rising storm 2 vietnam digital deluxe is like 12.45 on that dreamgame site what was posted in the previous thread. it says 16 something but when you put it in your cart it says 12.45... already got the key too

Can't really explain it, I guess the amount of characters can be overwhelming but I'd just pick the ones I liked (aka look cool) and try them out. Playing along with friends helped and I wouldn't notice the time passing.

I mean I mostly gave this game a chance when it came out cause Valve made it and I wanted to see what it was.
Yeah, when I was listening to Brad of Giant Bomb talk about his time into Dota it basically amounted to him only ever getting into it because he had a group that actively wanted him into it and tutored his way through it, so I find that an interesting thing to try to source back when most other multiplayer things I can think of have some kind of immediate understanding to them and basic hooks. The genre as a whole is something that I don't think would have ever been made outside of springing up from a mod, because I could never see a development team designing something like that, for better or worse.

I gave it my first proper shot with Dota 2, but when it was still a fledgling custom game in WC3 that I spotted through slumming UMS lobbies I would always get kicked because I didn't have the map pre-downloaded, heh.

Knurek

A quick look back at the sales for high-profile games launched on Steam in April 2017. A shitload of them this month. No big seller however.

Bad/Bomba
Cosmic Star Heroine - 7,970 ± 2,634
The Sexy Brutale - 6,831 ± 2,439

I'd appreciate if you went and checked the data you provided for games the last month. Easy way to see which was a true bomba, and which had sales pick up.

Teggy

What a mess I made of April wandering from game to game and not really finishing much of anything. I decided to dig back in to Horizon earlier this week and managed to complete it today. Great game, would look amazing on PC, but that will never happen.

Going to run through (old) Prey now, even though it has nothing to do with the new game. I didn't know it had
spirit powers
in it, that was a surprise. Hopefully I can finish it in a few sittings.

I also picked up Edith Finch for another game to quickly finish. It is an odd little thing.

Going to run through (old) Prey now, even though it has nothing to do with the new game. I didn't know it had
spirit powers
in it, that was a surprise. Hopefully I can finish it in a few sittings.
The original Prey was really short. Talkin' like 4-5 hours short. You should have no problems checking it off.

Six hours and only three pages? Steam threads have really slowed down

Everyone is too engrossed in Little Nightmares to post, right?

Tizoc

Six hours and only three pages? Steam threads have really slowed down

Everyone is too engrossed in Little Nightmares to post, right?
I am plqying icey and day of tentqcle atm
Both are lovely games
Slowly progressing sniper gw3 qnd cluckle's adventure otherwise

Teggy

The original Prey was really short. Talkin' like 4-5 hours short. You should have no problems checking it off.

Howlongtobeat says 8 hours and I tend to run a little behind the average on most games so that's what I'm expecting. But I wouldn't mind it being shorter.

Played the Prey demo on PS, I think I'll wait till it's about $7.49. Controls are floaty and I constantly overshot things. Smacking mimics with a wrench was annoying as well.

AHA-Lambda

God I hope Prey is good :/
Can't believe we face serious consideration that it will be both a commercial and critical disappointment :/

Edit: scrap that, going off the google analytics talk, its lack of sales success seems assured...

Ah yes that new thread smell.

I honestly question how many people even played 3.

I tried it, was trash from what I remember playing :/

zkylon

zkylewd
6PVOm7M.png

got around playing the pathologic remake demo

as a longtime fan of ice pick lodge's games i'm pretty happy with it, as a microcosm of what the real game is gonna be, it promises to be quite the experience, with the trademark lack of guidance that you'd expect from ipl

in this case i feel that sort of works against the game since i finished my demo time feeling like i'd missed stuff i didn't get to because of how tedious moving around is and how much the game relies on you just stumbling unto interesting things

lucky thing is that things you stumble unto are almost always very unsettling and bizarre, and the general tone of the whole thing carries the dread of the dying town really well. the writing is actually comprehensible this time, despite some weird lines, and you can get a sense of frustration and hopelessness from the bachelor that gives him character where in the little i played from original, all his dialogue just read as gibberish

so yeah, makes me very optimistic about the final game, i wasn't really pleased with how knock-knock came out (even tho i loved their kickstarter campaign and i'm really happy with my pledge) and i love the void so seems like good things are ahead

Pachimari

I would love a first person horror game set in the dark with huge feathered dinosaurs flying around with a little jetpack on their backs growling, and the end goal would be to figure out how to feed yourself, so that you can enter each dinosaurs insides and every inside of a dinosaur would be a boss fight.

Let me pitch Dino Crisis 4, where's wbacon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom