• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam monthly active users now at 67 million compared to 70 million for PSN

//DEVIL//

It's also worth noting that many people have multiple PSN accounts that adds to that 70 million value while most steam users at least in my experience at least are somehow unique to one person

vazel

Banned
It's also worth noting that many people have multiple PSN accounts that adds to that 70 million value while most steam users at least in my experience at least are somehow unique to one person
There are plenty of games on Steam with a smurf culture.

Ascheroth

There are people with multiple accounts on both sides.
However, it should again be repeated that Steam's numbers only include users who played a game in the last month.
(Notice how the wording is 'monthly active players' for Steam and 'monthly active users' for PSN? :p But for real, does anyone know what Sony counts as an 'active user'?)

Jimrpg

Backwards Compatibility should be a huge issue at Sony right now. That's really what they are competing with if they want to compare themselves with Valve. The value proposition of buying a piece of hardware like a new PC with tons of games already on the system (that you own) is enormous.

Great to see such strong numbers for everyone involved. PC was in a pretty iffy place before Steam took hold and made being legit as easy as piracy, and seems like it's paid off really well for them.

Steam is even easier than piracy. Downloading a torrent and waiting for a new crack every time the game gets patched vs just hitting Play. Straight from the horse's mouth:

"In general, we think there is a fundamental misconception about piracy," Newell told The Cambridge Student, via VG247. "Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem.

"For example, if a pirate offers a product anywhere in the world, 24x7, purchasable from the convenience of your personal computer, and the legal provider says the product is region-locked, will come to your country 3 months after the US release, and can only be purchased at a brick and mortar store, then the pirate's service is more valuable. Most DRM solutions diminish the value of the product by either directly restricting a customers use or by creating uncertainty.

"Our goal is to create greater service value than pirates, and this has been successful enough for us that piracy is basically a non-issue for our company.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-28-valve-piracy-a-non-issue-for-steam

It's no wonder Valve is in the dominant position that it is.

Bluth54

There are people with multiple accounts on both sides.
However, it should again be repeated that Steam's numbers only include users who played a game in the last month.
(Notice how the wording is 'monthly active players' for Steam and 'monthly active users' for PSN? :p But for real, does anyone know what Sony counts as an 'active user'?)

For several years I only used my PS3 as a Blu Ray player and I'm sure they counted me as a monthly active user since it was connected to the Internet.

Genio88

Steam doesn't count people who play only EA games, like Battlefields and FIFAs, Ubisoft games like Rainbow Six Siege,or Blizzard games since they uses Origin, Uplay etc instead, so if you add those you can tell that PC gaming is Huge

Genio88

Pretty sure they are not losing that much money.

They don't loose money at all, if anything they earn more, EA, Blizzard and Ubisoft games have huge market, they don't need Steam visibility, people buy them on PC regardless the Steam support, and by using their own client those companies don't have to pay that 30% royalties to Valve so they make more money than they would on Steam.
I'd like to have every game on one client too, and Steam is the best one there, but not gonna happen

It's funny because I am pretty sure I am not an active user in Steam right now, despite owning 1400 games on the service and browsing the client daily. Just haven't had the time to play any games as of late.

erawsd

I'm surprised Steam wasn't bigger than PSN for the last several months. Healthy numbers for both ecosystems imo,

Yeah, although steam is missing out on some of the largest PC communities since stuff like League of Legends, Minecraft, all Blizzard's stuff is missing. Googling around, LoL claims to have 100 million monthly users on its own.

Pachael

They don't loose money at all, if anything they earn more, EA, Blizzard and Ubisoft games have huge market, they don't need Steam visibility, people buy them on PC regardless the Steam support, and by using their own client those companies don't have to pay that 30% royalties to Valve so they make more money than they would on Steam.
I'd like to have every game on one client too, and Steam is the best one there, but not gonna happen

They also have full control over advertising, marketing, game discovery and player data at the expense of infrastructure to develop and run the platform.

Also, corporate synergy is slightly easier to use and defend due to these other factors.

gelf

Backwards Compatibility should be a huge issue at Sony right now. That's really what they are competing with if they want to compare themselves with Valve. The value proposition of buying a piece of hardware like a new PC with tons of games already on the system (that you own) is enormous.
If they truly see PC as competition they absolutely should pay more attention to backwards and forwards compatibility. It's why I tend to favour buying the PC version in most cases despite my PC now having to run some recent games at below PS4 settings. Long term access to my purchases is important to me.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Steam doesn't count people who play only EA games, like Battlefields and FIFAs, Ubisoft games like Rainbow Six Siege,or Blizzard games since they uses Origin, Uplay etc instead, so if you add those you can tell that PC gaming is Huge

Its best not to point that out. Some people wouldnt be able to handle knowing that.

Rellik

It's funny because I am pretty sure I am not an active user in Steam right now, despite owning 1400 games on the service and browsing the client daily. Just haven't had the time to play any games as of late.

Yeah, I'm also not counted as an active user right now but I added 4 to the PSN number.

horkrux

Now if people would actually be spending the same amount, we would be gold. But most of these accounts are probably used mainly for very specific games.
Yes, this is pulled out of my ass, but if sales for PC games are always that much lower despite these healthy monthly numbers, then I don't know what else to deduce from this.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Now if people would actually be spending the same amount, we would be gold. But most of these accounts are probably used mainly for very specific games.
Yes, this is pulled out of my ass, but if sales for PC games are always that much lower despite these healthy monthly numbers, then I don't know what else to deduce from this.

The sales for PC games generally has a long sale legs due to its longevity, and the fact that users are spread across all types of games (both new and old, really niche type and major games) rather than just only concentrating on AAA games. Dont mix up the buying behavior of PC and console gamers. There is a reason why publishers like Sega are starting to make more games on Steam in recent years.

Hektor

Sales for pc games aren't "always lower", they're predominantly lower within the genre of good looking but shallow cinematic experiences because of a difference in audience.

Gameplay focused games (Dark Souls, NuDoom), especually RPG and strategy titles (DOS, XCOM) complex multiplayer titles (PUBG, Dota) and nearly all indie games sell on par or often far above their console versions.

scoobs

Bit sure if this has been bought up but how much revenue are the two making?
Valve is a private company, so financials aren't made available to the public unless Valve feels like it. We know Gabe is worth more than $1 billion though so... its doing well.

horkrux

Sales for pc games aren't "always lower", they're predominantly lower within the genre of good looking but shallow cinematic experiences because of a difference in audience.

Gameplay focused games (Dark Souls, NuDoom), especually RPG and strategy titles (DOS, XCOM) complex multiplayer titles (PUBG, Dota) and nearly all indie games sell on par or often far above their console versions.

I hear this kind of elitism often, but what if I brought up Nier, which sold more than 2x as many copies on PS4

how will you counter this

Ascheroth

I hear this kind of elitism often, but what if I brought up Nier, which sold more than 2x as many copies on PS4

That's a really easy one. Nier is a personal GOTY candidate, but Square's handling of the PC version was (and still is) utterly abysmal and let's not even start with the stupidity they pulled in the Asian countries. The entire marketing leading up to the release was a shitshow.
To date, the game still doesn't run above 900p in fullscreen without a 3rd party tool.
The game flat out didn't work on certain graphics cards and has not been patched once. This had to be fixed in driver updates and still doesn't run without issues for everyone.

As much as I love the game, it doesn't deserve the sales it has on PC.

Fiendcode

Not very impressive for Steam considering it is the most popular PC gaming service and it doesn't reset its user base each generation.
That PSN figure includes last gen MAU as well (PS3, PSP, Vita). The only discontinued "platform" is PS mobile.

Steam's also only 3 years older than PSN.

Hektor

It's not elitism, its a fact that these two markets have different preferences

Nier is not a particular complex game and very narratively focused, the opposite of what I've been talking about.

In addition to that, the pc version received no marketing and was pretended to not be existent more often than not.

Every single trailer and ad exclusively mentioned the ps4 version, willfully omitting the existence of a pc release, even live on stage the game was once called PlayStation exclusive.

Furthermore, the game launched with delay and little fanfare as a bad port whose issues have not been fixed to this very day, including crashes, resolution locks and a missing online feature.

It also happened to be the 4th game In a franchise that had all games releasing on PlayStation platforms but not a single one on pc prior.

The same goes for the developers own pedigree who just now started releasing their games like vanquish and bayonetta on pc, meaning their was no platinum fanbase garnered on pc over the years the same way it was on console.

These sales are hardly comparable.

Bit sure if this has been bought up but how much revenue are the two making?

Sonys G&NS made ~$14 billon the last 12 months
Valve made ~3 billion on game sales in 2016 according to Steamspy (does not include F2P and MTX money)
Microsofts gaming division made ~9 billon

petran79

Banned
Very confusing.

you can log on Steam via your smartphone.

You can log on PSN/XBL via your PC,even if you havent bought a game or console for years.

Also XBL merges both Xbox and Windows10 users

Ascheroth

Very confusing.

You can log on PSN/XBL via your PC,even if you havent bought a game or console for years.

This is why reading is a valuable skill:
Valve is actually relatively open about this number, relative to their console counterparts. They count "Active Users" as someone who owns a game and has played a game within the last month. So "Total Users' is actually significantly higher.

Rellik

Very confusing.

I log onto Steam all the time but I'm not counted because I haven't played a game in the last month.

martino

It's not elitism, its a fact that these two markets have different preferences

Nier is not a particular complex game and very narratively focused, the opposite of what I've been talking about.

In addition to that, the pc version received no marketing and was pretended to not be existent more often than not.

Every single trailer and ad exclusively mentioned the ps4 version, willfully omitting the existence of a pc release, even live on stage the game was once called PlayStation exclusive.

Furthermore, the game launched with delay and little fanfare as a bad port whose issues have not been fixed to this very day, including crashes, resolution locks and a missing online feature.

It also happened to be the 4th game In a franchise that had all games releasing on PlayStation platforms but not a single one on pc prior.

The same goes for the developers own pedigree who just now started releasing their games like vanquish and bayonetta on pc, meaning their was no platinum fanbase garnered on pc over the years the same way it was on console.

These sales are hardly comparable.

it's normal it's taken as elitism..but being more mainstream mean you will find there more people to buy what mainstream media tell them to buy.
i doubt pc is more mainstream than consoles.

Scrawnton

If they truly see PC as competition they absolutely should pay more attention to backwards and forwards compatibility. It's why I tend to favour buying the PC version in most cases despite my PC now having to run some recent games at below PS4 settings. Long term access to my purchases is important to me.

This. It took me a while to accept pc gaming. I took the plunge back in May and bought a gaming rig that can handle almost anything on ultra 1080p 60fps and ever since then I've been very critical of Microsoft and Sony and how they're handling their boxes. Microsoft is making great steps but since they're crossbill with PC anyway I don't need an Xbox One X.

martino

I'm sure PSN active users count will drop soon for some "Plus" reason...

giphy.gif

leeh

?

You don't have to be a fanboy to think Steam and PSN are the two best gaming platforms, all you need is to have eyes. They get the most consistent high quality releases.
There is such thing as opinion you know.

Saying "fucking fanboys" and then pushing your opinion like it's fact makes you hypocritical.

samar11

Sonys G&NS made ~$14 billon the last 12 months
Valve made ~3 billion on game sales in 2016 according to Steamspy (does not include F2P and MTX money)
Microsofts gaming division made ~9 billon

Cool, thanks.
So Monthly active users does mean much if one is making more revenue (by a lot) I guess? someone else could explain it better.

llien

Every time there's a Steam thread people have to explain how it doesn't actually have a monopoly.

It objectively is a monopoly (controlling 70%+ of the market and having no major competitors), explaining it doesn't have it is more like finding excuses for it.

It objectively is a monopoly (controlling 70%+ of the market and having no major competitors), explaining it doesn't have it is more like finding excuses for it.

Steam does not control 70% of the PC gaming market.
They're maybe at ~15%

What you're maybe mistaken it fore is the Console AAA games on PC and the indie games. that is where Steam is stronger than anyone else by a good margin

Cool, thanks. So Monthly active users does mean much if one is making more revenue (by a lot) I guess? someone else could explain it better.

Both is important
A big part of Sonys and Microsofts revenue is Hardware with low margins.
Valve is doing fine and has a better gross margin.
Profits are sadly impossible to compare, because we don't have data for MS and Valve

DocSeuss

iirc, one of the reason PSN numbers are so high is because because it's actually including all Sony Entertainment Network accounts, which includes a bunch of non-Playstation products, and the actual PS numbers were way lower. Like, it includes tablets, televisions, smartphones, etc. If it's digital and connected to the internet and made by Sony, it's considered to be part of PSN, particularly Bravia and Experia devices. iirc, the biggest single contributor to these numbers was actually Bravia TVs, but this is like... ancient news.

I do want to point out that Sony apparently had 70 million accounts back when they had their data breach in 2011, so... what, has there been literally no growth at ALL since then? Or was that 70 million accounts total, and they've only just now hit 70 million MAUs?

Lister

Banned
I phrased that wrong. They don't have a monopoly, but a huge percentage of PC gamers do use their services primarily along with others.

Last numbers indicate Steam being about < 20% of the PC gaming market. So no.

PC gaming is larger than both main consoles combined.

And that's another thing, these numbers are misleading even when just comparing Steam vs PSN users. The PSN numbers are "active player base". We don't have a definition for this as far as I can tell, but let's assume it means purchasers of games who have logged in the past several months (though all indications point to this NOT being the case, but instead all users of the PSn network accross a number of devices, posisbl including non gamign devices).

The Steam numbers are active PLAYERS. This is a different metric. Steam's active user base is MUCH larger than 67 million, as Steamspy will happily tell you. They cannot arrive at their fairly accurate owner numbers for games by just taking those 67 million into acocunt.

Lister

Banned

You may want to actually look up the word monopoly in a dictionary. Also Steam is not 70% of the PC marketplace. It's closer to 15-20%.

Hektor

You're only proving that you don't know what the word monopoly means

Top Bottom