• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | November 2016 - Rally to Restore Fear and/or Sanity in the Steam Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
The good people of SteamGAF!

I've finally pretty much set up my living room (only took 2 months before i even bought a sofa *facepalm*).
I've connected my PC to a projector and it works perfectly fine in 1080p@60hz, until I run pretty much any Steam game, which forces the projector to output only 24hz.

Some googling gave me some multi-year old advice, which is using a custom resolution or using an nvidia setting to force 60hz.
I have HD7970 so setting some nvidia settings obviously won't work, is there anything I can do in ATIs control center to force 60hz?

What software would you otherwise suggest to fix the refresh rate?

Though, obviously, if there's a proper way to fix this bullshit problem which goes beyond my understanding (I really can't understand why the hell this is happening, seems like grade A level of stupidity), I'd appreciate any help.

Oh, and look out for a shitty but kinda rare (I guess?) giveaway later today.

Parsnip

The good people of SteamGAF!

I've finally pretty much set up my living room (only took 2 months before i even bought a sofa *facepalm*).
I've connected my PC to a projector and it works perfectly fine in 1080p@60hz, until I run pretty much any Steam game, which forces the projector to output only 24hz.

Some googling gave me some multi-year old advice, which is using a custom resolution or using an nvidia setting to force 60hz.
I have HD7970 so setting some nvidia settings obviously won't work, is there anything I can do in ATIs control center to force 60hz?

What software would you otherwise suggest to fix the refresh rate?

Though, obviously, if there's a proper way to fix this bullshit problem which goes beyond my understanding (I really can't understand why the hell this is happening, seems like grade A level of stupidity), I'd appreciate any help.

Oh, and look out for a shitty but kinda rare (I guess?) giveaway later today.

I don't have a projector, but the first thing to pop in my mind is, is it HDMI? Is it 1080p/24Hz? Or do the games you tested default to a higher resolution? I don't have the spec in front of me, but if I remember right HDMI 1.4 for example does 4096×2160 only at 24Hz, so if the games are defaulting to 4K, that could be it.

Something to rule out at least if nothing else.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It has now been over a month since I informed Valve of the unlock countdown timer being an hour off, and twice I've been told the issue has been forwarded to the relevant department.

It's still an hour off.

Mifec

It has now been over a month since I informed Valve of the unlock countdown timer being an hour off, and twice I've been told the issue has been forwarded to the relevant department.

It's still an hour off.

I was about to ask you rofl, but yeah it was an hour off again.

derFeef

It's still an hour off.

These things, they take time (+ 1 hour)

You were right after all r3n4ud. Long live Canada.
Assassin's Creed DC gonna be next I hope.
Been said before but Crysis 1 still holds up well. Was half anticipating to be disappointed seven years after I first played it briefly. The AI has a far keener eye than I would have expected even on the default difficulty, spotting me whether crouched or prone if not behind enough cover and/or moving. A far cry from MGSV where they're basically blind until you're throwing distance from them. They're still bullet spongy though, and the lack of stealth options means it's easier to just go all out lethal. More non-lethal variety would have been appreciated.

Vanilla screenshots by KingOfAesthetic:
Crysis 1 gets overlooked by labeling it a tech-demo by many. The game itself is awesome. I have it installed but since the big mod site of it is gone now, the thread listed in OP is not very useful.

We have each other right steam gaf. Trump can't take steam away from us right
Twitter-2016-Trump-wont-win-2017-President-420a11.png

Wok

It's still an hour off.

You mean Valve did not account for Daylight Saving Time?

I don't have a projector, but the first thing to pop in my mind is, is it HDMI? Is it 1080p/24Hz? Or do the games you tested default to a higher resolution? I don't have the spec in front of me, but if I remember right HDMI 1.4 for example does 4096×2160 only at 24Hz, so if the games are defaulting to 4K, that could be it.

Something to rule out at least if nothing else.

It is indeed HDMI, but it's 1080p@24hz when I play games, not 4K (the projector is only 1080p).
Some say it's the developers fault, but I still can't understand how this happens.
My 144hz monitor never sets down the refresh rate when playing games.

Vuze

It is indeed HDMI, but it's 1080p@24hz when I play games, not 4K (the projector is only 1080p).
Some say it's the developers fault, but I still can't understand how this happens.
Try CRU. You can create custom resolutions there. https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU?page=1
It helped me out big time to get 4k60 HDR working on my TV for Shadow Warrior 2 since my TV reported incorrect resolution info to the PC.

Parsnip

Ah well, then I have no idea.
Good luck with it, hopefully you find a solution.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You mean Valve did not account for Daylight Saving Time?

"In approximately less than an hour" was supposed to replace "In less than an than hour", but instead the former was added into the mix and thus threw off the timer by an hour.

Ascheroth

Here's some impressions for a few of the last bundle games and some others to maybe lighten up the mood?

From the Day of the Devs bundle.
A charming little puzzle-adventure game with a unique artstyle and set in a very imaginative world. Clocked around 4 hours.
It's not that difficult since you're essentially carrying the walkthrough with you, a huge book with all the solutions to the puzzles. There's a riddle for each puzzle that gives you the relevant page number and at the same time it's also a neat way to see how far you already are.

From the Gems Bundle.
A western-themed sandbox comboy-detective adventure game with a lot of replayabilty and some very cool mechanics.
Lots of quests with different solutions and outcomes, lots of possible endings, tight and extremely satisfying controls, the possibility to draw and cock your gun in every single dialogue as well as kill every character in the game, without actually reaching an 'impossible' state.
A normal playthrough takes around 1-2 hours, but it's possible to do it both faster or longer if you want. Already did 4 playthroughs with 7 hours playtime and will most likely do at least another 1 or 2.
Very recommended.

With only ~4hours in I'm just starting out, but it's a very well-made and pleasant game I can see myself spending a ton of time with. Thankfully it's not the really addicting kind, it's just nice to start it up and play a couple in game days.
Although the fact that you can only save by sleeping is really devious. Because every time I wake up I have the urge to check my crops immediately, look whether I've got mail or whether there's a new quest available in town.
But yeah, lots of stuff to do and it looks and sounds very nice as well.

From the halloween sale.
Held out for 10 minutes before I had to quit. Legit terrifying game.
The fact that ghosts are only visible when you look through your phone camera is a nightmare.

I don't really feel like playing games. Or eating.
Ehm why do I suddenly have 1 euro credit in my GMG account?o_O
I'd guess from voting in the Golden whatever awards and then you paid a euro for their giveaway games. Once you activate the games they credit you the euro back. I got a dollar credit after getting Bioshock Infinite last time.

Wok

I am binging through Sorcery!. I have finished Parts 1, 2 and 3 and I am currently playing the final part. I have a weird feeling about it: the game is pretty much a gamebook, with barely any audio or animations, but I am enjoying it more than The Warlock of Firetop Mountain. I suspect this is due to the fact Sorcery! has a ton of content for one playthrough, while TWoFM forces the player to go through the same story parts again and again in order to discover the full story, which ends up too repetitive (think roguelike without the procedural generation).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom