• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Sale - (Overlooked) Indie Game Deals Discussion Thread

Durante

To be clear, they added an easy mode in the patch so don't forget to change difficulty or you'll still be playing the hard version.

edit- nvm there were tweaks to normal mode too. Wow I can't imagine how hard it was before.
It really wasn't that hard.

And it's also a great and very unique game. Everyone buy Pid.

Tenrius

So, after playing Dust, my son is on a Metroid-vania kick (thanks Noogy!). Anything like else in that vein on sale (or on steam in general) ? He has money burning a hole in his steam wallet.

Aquaria?

EDIT: Oh, that was a rather old post. Aquaria is still recommended, of course.

allansm

So what's the word on Pid & Fly'N?

Both are great, if you like platformers get them you won't regret it! This is what I wrote about them on steam:

Pid: Great platformer, sadly it didn't get the attention it deserved. It has a few flaws (sometimes there are too many enemies on the same screen at the same time and it ends up making the screen too busy and difficult to navigate, for example), but the game, although difficult, is never infuriating, has enough charm, length (~10 hours), great visuals and an incredible soundtrack. A Castle, a dinner room, a kitchen, an opera house. You will complete a world and want to keep playing, just to see what's next, even after hours into the game.
Fly'n: This game is fantastic. The art is beautiful, as good as Rayman Origins. The gameplay is solid and it is pretty long for a game this cheap. It took me 13 hours to finish and I did not bother getting everything and unlocking every bonus level. The difficulty is spot on: never too easy or too hard, unless you are trying to get 100% completion. The way collectibles work is also similar to Rayman Origins, but the gameplay similarities stop there. The pace in Fly'n is slower and there is an emphasis in using the abilities of each of the 4 characters to overcome obstacles and transverse the levels, which are not simple left to right affairs: they are big and sprawling and you move both horizontally and vertically, free to go back and forth. Although the game is 2D, the level design reminds me of the levels in the 3D platformers of the N64 era.

One final impulse buy: Rochard, Nimbus, or Receiver?

Also will Rochard run on Intel HD Graphics 2000? I know my other specs are good, not sure about the GPU

allansm

One final impulse buy: Rochard, Nimbus, or Receiver?

Also will Rochard run on Intel HD Graphics 2000? I know my other specs are good, not sure about the GPU

Rochard is far better than Nimbus, Receiver I haven't played. Rochard has a demo on steam, maybe you can download and see if it runs?

A fellow GAFfer gifted me Rochard, good man :)

Last minute impulse bought Receiver and the Basement Collection

Goodbye Overlooked thread, see you indie lovers in the Indie Thread...

A fellow GAFfer gifted me Rochard, good man :)

Last minute impulse bought Receiver and the Basement Collection

Goodbye Overlooked thread, see you indie lovers in the Indie Thread...

good choice getting Receiver. I picked it up earlier today and it has already left a huge impression on me. don't think I will ever look at an FPS the same again.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Thank you Toma for creating and maintaining this thread!

Keep up the good work developing all those indie games at such a breakneck pace!

allansm

Today I bought Incredipede, Kairo, Dyad and Rogue Legacy. I was going to get Ms. Splosion Man and then I saw it has GFWL, so I'll wait for a bigger discount.

Thanks for the thread Toma!

Today I bought Incredipede, Kairo, Dyad and Rogue Legacy. I was going to get Ms. Splosion Man and then I saw it has GFWL, so I'll wait for a bigger discount.

Thanks for the thread Toma!

Twisted Pixel is owned by Microsoft now. I wouldn't take a bigger discount later on as a sure thing.

allansm

Twisted Pixel is owned by Microsoft now. I wouldn't take a bigger discount later on as a sure thing.

Sure, but I won't run out of games to play until the winter sale, so I can wait. I'm convinced the game is good, but GFWL, although not a deal breaker, discourages me to buy anything using it. I waited for 66% off or more to buy Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet and Deadlight exactly for that reason.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
The thread was great fun :) Thanks everyone for participating, discussing and grabbing some games from these developers. I'll now hop back over to the monthly Indie threads.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Updated all the prices for the current sale.

Toma

Ooh nice list. I have about 8 games to look into now heh!

The thread will be longer in a few days. I assume its missing around ~30 games that I'd like to add that have been released since july.

Toma

Make sure to add Eldritch, I mean you probably already were going to, but just in case.

Didnt have time to go through the new releases for the thread yet. Could you please post it properly formatted including the description text?

Evo X

Thanks for the list. I already have most of the high profile games on it like Chivalry, Bastion, Mark of the Ninja and Spelunky, but just bought Runner 2.

marrec

Banned
Didnt have time to go through the new releases for the thread yet. Could you please post it properly formatted including the description text?

Make sure to add Eldritch, I mean you probably already were going to, but just in case.

Eldritch - $7.49 (50% off)
ctlfOav.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/252630/

Eldritch is a Lovecraftian dungeon delver inspired by the normal slew of Rouglike's and Voxel graphics. What really sets this game apart from others of it's kind are the expansive levels and how you traverse through them. Being able to look down into the horror that you have to jump into from above is something not often seen in randomly generated dungeon explorers. The up and down traversal gives a whole new dimension (hurr hurr) to combat and exploration.

Miasmata - $3.74 (75% off)
ss_d016c3c6578e03c88d86e40556b8597243055f3b.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/223510/

Explore and survive on a mysterious island while being stalked by an unstoppable beast.

The Stanley Parable - $8.99 (40% off)
ss_49e682563292992309e3047f30128f3dba4c39ce.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/221910/

Funny, unique, with a great narrative(s), and an experience any gamer can appreciate. Highly recommended

Race The Sun - $7.49 (25% off)
ss_243040f159af5c7c163d0d45c33142199dee39ff.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/253030/

Insane speeds, twitchy evasion, procedurally generated levels, and stylish abstract visuals. If you enjoy white knuckle survival, this is the game for you

Pixeljunk Shooter - $6.29 (30%)
ss_1b71243d847ca63d4437457940ba1c0011d1883e.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/255870/

Rescue stranded scientists in this physics action puzzler. Very satisfying fluid physics and puzzles, fun gameplay, smooth controls. Recommended

If anyone here likes adventure games and hasn't played Ben There, Dan That and Time Gentlemen, Please, what are you doing? It's 50 cents. Go play them. They're hilarious.

Skullgirls - $10.04 (33% off)

ss_1fb2b3df89e83e0185d56f988b6f4d56f9b57156.1920x1080.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/245170

2D fighting game in the veins of MvC2 with incredible animation.. Has a extensive tutorial for newcomers to the genre, the developers keep in touch with the community releasing constant updates and the DLC characters are free for the first 3 months when they are released.

Speedrunners - $3.39 (66% off)

ss_8d4ebf1ecf2307643898718dda29bf26940c92dc.1920x1080.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/207140

EARLY ACCESS GAME

A fun competitive platformer game, the better analogy I can make is if Mario Kart was a 2D platformer game it could be Speedrunners.

Ballpoint Universe - Infinite - $2.99 (33% off)
ss_e851e0d6fee21117dca1979873996c2ffa7fc67a.1920x1080.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/259390/

Mix of platformer and Shooter with an interesting artstyle.

Here is an extra addition for the list. Personally I loved this game
----------

Ittle Dew - $6.99 (50% Off during the 2013 Holiday Sale)
89799A31D476F6DAB7F29F8A783C9DEBC5E71F21

Ittle Dew is a puzzle adventure with charming graphics, an amusing narrative, and (most importantly) clever puzzles. It took me 3 hours to reach the ending but you can beat the game in 15 minutes if you're smart enough to see the shortcuts and solve puzzles in unconventional ways.The game also has two extra non-story dungeons and a bunch of small caves with their own puzzles to solve.

rybrad

Spelunky is not only my indie game of the year but probably my favorite game of the past couple years, indie or otherwise. Info below cribbed from the September thread.

Spelunky - $7.49 (50% off)
9Te0U5n.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/239350/

Spelunky is a unique platformer with randomized levels that offer a challenging new experience each time you play. Journey deep underground and explore fantastic places filled with all manner of monsters, traps, and treasure. You'll have complete freedom while you navigate the fully-destructible environments and master their many secrets.

Edit: I guess I should add I know this isn't necessarily an "overlooked" title but last time it was on sale, I saw people hating on it in the Steam thread. The game is excellent and people can say they don't like it but you cannot argue with the depth of gameplay and excellent design. It seems like most games that are "hard" today get labelled as bad, don't be fooled into believing that is true for Spelunky! To put into perspective how excellently made the game is, I have found only ONE thing I would change about the game if given the chance. At first glance, I have thought many times that something should be changed only to realize how brilliantly crafted all the pieces already are and doesn't need changed. Most games I can find several things that I would like changed but put up with them because I like the game otherwise, Spelunky is the exceedingly rare exception.

Spelunky is not only my indie game of the year but probably my favorite game of the past couple years, indie or otherwise. Info below cribbed from the September thread.

Spelunky - $7.49 (50% off)

Edit: I guess I should add I know this isn't necessarily an "overlooked" title but last time it was on sale, I saw people hating on it in the Steam thread. The game is excellent and people can say they don't like it but you cannot argue with the depth of gameplay and excellent design. It seems like most games that are "hard" today get labelled as bad, don't be fooled into believing that is true for Spelunky! To put into perspective how excellently made the game is, I have found only ONE thing I would change about the game if given the chance. At first glance, I have thought many times that something should be changed only to realize how brilliantly crafted all the pieces already are and doesn't need changed. Most games I can find several things that I would like changed but put up with them because I like the game otherwise, Spelunky is the exceedingly rare exception.
+1

Totally agree. It's fantastically well-crafted game. Its cute veneer hides a challenging game of quick reactions, strategy, and overwhelming odds. The platforming is tight and survival is tough, but it's always a thrilling challenge.

arcanadei

Postal - $1.69 (66% off)
44359-postal-windows-screenshot-dead-bodies-everywheres.jpg

Postal

Isometric FPS styled gameplay. One of the most infamous games/series ever made due to it's offensive content.

Postal 2 - $3.39 (66% off)
83871945.jpg

Postal 2

Bloody, visceral FPS. RWS really embraced the outrage of the first game and took it up 13 notches with the sequel, also switching to a true FPS viewpoint.If you are not easily offended, and love some very immature humor, you are missing out by not grabbing this game.

Part of my love for indies is in the ways that small devs can push boundaries, and take chances that larger studios would never dream of. Postal exemplifies that in it's complete over the top presentation of the subject matter. Also the team just released some updates, for a game that is 10 years old, and happily encourages the modding community. Very good things to see from devs. Let's just pretend that 3 never happened though, stick with the first 2.

Top Bottom