• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Sale - (Overlooked) Indie Game Deals Discussion Thread

FYC

Banned
McPixel - $0,99 (80% off)

Yeah, I just got this for free with Steam trading card money. It's a cute game, well worth the price. If you 100% everything(which you should for all the hidden gags!), it'll last you a couple o' hours.

Edit: Huh, seems there's a level creator too. Awesome!

So, after playing Dust, my son is on a Metroid-vania kick (thanks Noogy!). Anything like else in that vein on sale (or on steam in general) ? He has money burning a hole in his steam wallet.

Dust really is one of a kind for Steam. Although if these have not already been bought, well worth a look.

Cave Story
A.R.E.S (more MegaMan style)
LA Mulana
Dark Void Zero
Aquaria
VVVVVV

Also not on steam YET but worth a play on the demo.
Chasm (on steam greenlight)
Demo-http://www.chasmgame.com/

KarmaCow

The Swapper is pretty neat. I was kinda expecting more traversal parts, especially because it's very satisfying to zip across a room by rapidly creating clones and swapping with them. Instead it's more about corridors to puzzle rooms. Which is fine, I like discrete rooms where you know what the boundary and ruleset for the puzzle is supposed to be. The puzzles felt a little rough, there were times where I'm pretty sure I slipped through the cracks with some geometry/timing futzing to solve a few but for fairly simple mechanic they get a lot out of it.

I don't know how I feel about the look for the game either. I kinda like the claymation-y look in concept, but it almost makes things look messy. The story and themes were kinda predictable as soon as you first get the swapper device but I was somewhat surprised that
there wasn't a clone death/swap count or something at the end with how hard they push the question of identity.
Having the button prompts pop up all the time especially
at the end where it straight up says press "blah" to get ending 1 or "bleh" for ending 2
was disappointing. Maybe it was an issue in playtesting but I was hoping they would give the player more credit than that.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I have yet to touch The Journey Down but a friend of mine told me it's pretty good. Likable characters, interesting world to explore. Short but hopefully with the rest of the chapters not too far along.

I can confirm this about the Journey Down. Charming little game.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Some good tower defense games? i have already Defense Grind and PvZ
ss_0d252670db111a8834ac1423530f3787_zpsf20861ba.jpg
Revenge of the Titans is an excellent TD game. It has a blistering pace and it's heavily influenced by X-Com. It's tough but manageable.Half off right now:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/93200/

Tizoc

Toma can you please make a new thread for the last day of the sale and mention the indies posted by members here in the first post?

Kenai

Would someone care to give me an elevator pitch on To the Moon? I watched the trailer on Steam, and I really liked the music, but I still have no real idea what it is. It appears to be well liked, and the price is nice, but I still need to be sold on it.

I found this game extremely charming. It's the closest thing I've seen to a U.S. version of a visual novel (the story is fantastic imo). Think of it as an interactive story where you find various objects and explore the world to unlock further dialogue. It wasn't challenging at all due to this, but the story's got lots of feels, and I am looking forward to the next chapter.

The story is near-future sci-fish. Two scientists have a day job of going inside the memories of those on their deathbed and altering them a la Inception so they pass away with their biggest regrets gone. You get to watch them work and unravel the life of their patient to "fix" him, more or less. I think it took me a few hours start to finish.

Skerj

I swear if Kentucky Route Zero doesn't win this community vote I am leaving your planet forever and you all will never know the awesome technology I was going to bestow upon you.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Dust really is one of a kind for Steam. Although if these have not already been bought, well worth a look.

Cave Story
A.R.E.S (more MegaMan style)
LA Mulana
Dark Void Zero
Aquaria
VVVVVV

Also not on steam YET but worth a play on the demo.
Chasm (on steam greenlight)
Demo-http://www.chasmgame.com/

Definitely. And the PC port of Shadow Complex... oh, wait. :(

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I don't get La mulana. The control just feels clunky.

Everything about the controls is purposeful. It takes some getting used to, because they're not as forgiving as one expects from modern games, but it's not trying to aim to be a modern game.

I don't think the controls are clunky at all, but I will admit that it has a serious learning curve.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Super House of Dead Ninjas is magical. such a tight, fluid game. also has some of my favorite presentation in a while.

Adult Swim has been on a god damn roll. It's insane how good their games are.

Frologic

Bought some of these games

PID

Nice art style and some pretty fun puzzles. I had the most fun during the puzzle sections, everything else was kind of average. Well worth the 2.50 though

Kairo

Also bought this for 2.50. Didn't really enjoy this. I was hoping to get some Dear Esther style game that was light on gameplay and strong on narrative and atmosphere but all I really got was a 3d art gallery. It felt a little too indie.

Q.U.B.E

Really enjoyed this game. It's got the same creepy desolate atmosphere of portal but with it's own original puzzle mechanic. Most puzzles were simple but some of the later puzzles were a challenge. It was a nice relaxing 5 hours.

Strike Suit Infinite

Roboteching macross missle massacre itano circus of amazing. I'm having tons of fun with this game. Huge large scale fleet battles and fast paced mech/fighterjet combat. Tons of ship upgrades and weapon unlocks. I'm incredibly surprised it was only 1.75.

Crub

So, after playing Dust, my son is on a Metroid-vania kick (thanks Noogy!). Anything like else in that vein on sale (or on steam in general) ? He has money burning a hole in his steam wallet.

I recommend:
Saira (Also check out the creators other, free, Metroidvania games, they are just as great)
Cave Story + (A classic!)
VVVVVV
TokiTori 2+ (A strictly puzzle-focused metroidvania. The mechanics are super simple, but the puzzles are still really imaginative)
Waking Mars (Metroidvania gardening simulator. On Mars.)

Others:
Hell Yeah! (Medicore and very linear)
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
La Mulana (Difficult and cryptic)
Unepic (WRPG metroidvania)
Aquaria
The Cave
Rouge Knight (Rougelike)
Fortune Summoners (Doujin ARPG)
Wonder Boy in Monster World (My all-time favorite metroidvania. Might be to retro-esque though, and I would rather play it on Kega Fusion)
Gateways (puzzle metroidvania)
1000 Amps (puzzle metroidvania)
Wake
Lunnye Devitsy
Dark Void Zero (The game is level based but every level is like a self-contained mini metroidvania)

Misc:
A Valley Without Wind 1/2
Terraria
Edge of Space
Under the Ocean

If you consider 3D games to be metroidvanias:
Batman: Arkham Asylum (highly recommended)
Antichamber

I think I covered most of 'em.

haikira

I've heard this is a pretty good metroidvania game and it's 50% off. I can't personally vouch for it, but it has very good user reviews on Good Old Games, quite a few people on my friends list have bought it and it has a good metacritic score.

La-Mulana [Steam]

EDIT: Beat to it big time, by Crub.

microfolk

I recommend:
Saira (Also check out the creators other, free, Metroidvania games, they are just as great)
Cave Story + (A classic!)
VVVVVV
TokiTori 2+ (A strictly puzzle-focused metroidvania. The mechanics are super simple, but the puzzles are still really imaginative)
Waking Mars (Metroidvania gardening simulator. On Mars.)

Others:
Hell Yeah! (Medicore and very linear)
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
La Mulana (Difficult and cryptic)
Unepic (WRPG metroidvania)
Aquaria
The Cave
Rouge Knight (Rougelike)

Endless timesinks:
A Valley Without Wind 1/2
Terraria

If you consider 3D games to be metroidvanias:
Batman: Arkham Asylum (highly recommended)
Antichamber

I think I covered most of 'em.

I want to say that these are all great advices (and I concur that La Mulana may be too difficult, despite being a brilliant game), but I love you for citing Saira, it's such a little beautiful adventure game with excellent platforming and a stunning soundtrack. More people should play it, it's really really good.

Frologic

Hey gaffers is Pid really as frustrating/hard as some reviews are saying it is?

I tried the demo yesterday and really liked it.

It's pretty hard at some points. The platforming is a bit tricky and the controls aren't as precise as I would like but it never felt frustrating. The game has a lot of checkpoints so it's more trial and error. Bosses were annoying though, no checkpoints there.

26 pages and no mention to other doujin titles like Fairy Bloom Freesia and Ether Vapor? Or Satazius? Or Cherry Tree High Comedy Club? I'm sad, GAF. :( Oh, wait, nice to see the eXceed games mentioned! Someone should probably set up these entries...

50% off each:

Freesia: http://store.steampowered.com/app/214590/

Ether Vapor Remaster: http://store.steampowered.com/app/214570

I find EV:R quite interesting with its use of multiple camera angles as part of its mechanics. Gives a nice twist to the shmup genre. It gets tough as nails towards the end though but that's to be expected.

Satazius: http://store.steampowered.com/app/203990
Old school shmup. And I mean it. It's actually far more accesible though despite having the infamous checkpoint system of the likes of Gradius and R-Type. The recovery after death is also less painful since you are usually provided power ups or a shield. Astro Port (the devs) really know their deal.

Frologic

Nope. They patched the difficulty since release, so it's a lot easier now.

To be clear, they added an easy mode in the patch so don't forget to change difficulty or you'll still be playing the hard version.

edit- nvm there were tweaks to normal mode too. Wow I can't imagine how hard it was before.

Noogy

Awesome, glad he enjoyed it :) Seems everyone else has already done a great job recommending the other similar games on Steam. If he's into something with randomness there's also the excellent Rogue Legacy and upcoming Chasm.

Also, the one I'm personally most looking forward to is A.N.N.E., which was recently kickstarted. Metroidvania with platforming and flying... looks incredible. In fact you'll find a decent number of these sorts of games in Greenlight. Do them a favor and upvote them.

There's also the excellent Knytt games. I don't think they are on Steam but I believe they are free. Sort of non-combative Metroid-likes. There's also the Vita game which I was enjoying but boy was I immediately turned off by all of the random f-bombs that seemed to come out of nowhere.

There is some love for the Valley without Wind games on Steam. They are an acquired taste, though.

If he's willing to look outside Steam & PC, there's always the original Metroid and Castlevania games. In fact a great Castlevania thread popped up today: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=630216

Can't go wrong with any of the GBA/DS Metroid or Castlevania games, which all heavily influenced Dust:AET.

MrWhitefolks

Neo Member
After scouring through this thread for recommendations, I've picked up a few titles. However, one has stood above the rest for me personally and that's Receiver. I honestly can't recommend this enough, especially if you want something that has rogue-like levels of replay value, a serious amount of tension, and that rewarding feeling you get for surviving. It definitely has a learning curve (especially with the gun mechanics) - but goddamn if it isn't one of the best things I've laid my hands on during this sale.

Crayons

Banned
Going to post this here since pretty much no one cared in the other thread.

I have my doubts about Early Access games.

However, Blade Symphony, which is 50% off at $7.49 did not disappoint.

header_292x136.jpg

There are 3 different characters thus far (I believe the fourth is coming soon), and they all have different play styles. Moreover, there are three different weapons you can use with each character. Also, while playing the game you can switch between 3 different stances, such as heavy, fast, or balanced. Despite the fact that there are only a few characters, there is so many different ways you can choose to play the characters. Button mashing does not work in this game.There are a few servers with people in them, not too many, but I only expect it to become more populated with the Steam sale and the eventual release. The lobbying system itself is very unique because once you join a server, you can see all the fights on that server with the click of a mouse, and choose which one to join in. I love the graphics and look of the stages. The community is nice, bows before matches and says "gf" (good fight) after matches. There is currently no training mode but I had no problem practicing the game against people online. Surprisingly, even though I had just picked up the game, I actually managed to win a few rounds. There are a lot of different movements and motions but the game has an easy learning curve for newcomers. The gameplay itself is pretty fun. It's 3d sword fighting and you can use the walls of the game to your advantage. The health meter goes down quickly so games do not drag on. The fast gameplay gets me excited, and scared that my opponent is going to slice me when I'm not looking. If you like fast paced ninja-y games, but with an emphasis on defense/avoiding, this game is for you.

Complaints:
Music, voice acting aren't very good
Balance is constantly changing.
The animations are rather choppy, but I heard they will be fixed (it is an early access, after all).
Multiplayer is the only thing you can do right now.

However, I'd give it a buy. The latter three will definitely be improved by released (don't know about the sound). but for $7.50, it's worth it.

Please note if you plan on purchasing, the default controls are glitched. See here for a fix.

Terra_Ex

Do I have to play the Blackwell games in a certain order?

Yes, Legacy, Unbound, Convergence, Deception is best. Technically you could play Unbound first since you're playing as the protagonist's aunt in that one, but I'd advise the above, which is the order of release. Things will make more sense that way.

26 pages and no mention to other doujin titles like Fairy Bloom Freesia and Ether Vapor? Or Satazius? Or Cherry Tree High Comedy Club? I'm sad, GAF. :( Oh, wait, nice to see the eXceed games mentioned! Someone should probably set up these entries...

50% off each:

Freesia: http://store.steampowered.com/app/214590/

Ether Vapor Remaster: http://store.steampowered.com/app/214570

I find EV:R quite interesting with its use of multiple camera angles as part of its mechanics. Gives a nice twist to the shmup genre. It gets tough as nails towards the end though but that's to be expected.

Satazius: http://store.steampowered.com/app/203990
Old school shmup. And I mean it. It's actually far more accesible though despite having the infamous checkpoint system of the likes of Gradius and R-Type. The recovery after death is also less painful since you are usually provided power ups or a shield. Astro Port (the devs) really know their deal.

I said something about Freesia, not good things but still.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Qube
English Country Tune
Puddle
Thomas Was Alone
Under the Ocean
Kairo

Bought. Thank you thread.

Lyude77

I haven't heard anything said about Jolly Rover in this thread, but my brother heartily recommends it. I think it's like Secret of Monkey Island or something, but I don't know since I haven't played it. :p

At $3.50 (50% off), it's probably worth it, and there's a demo if you aren't sold. I would have mentioned it when people still checked the thread if I myself had played it.

Dizzy-4U

Any of you guys having issues in checkout? This is what I've been getting for the past half hour:

There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance.

Top Bottom