• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Sale - (Overlooked) Indie Game Deals Discussion Thread

allansm

I woke expecting to see some overlooked indie games as flash deals and what I see Stardrive, Kerbal Space Program and Tomb Raider on sale AGAIN...

Fenror

Neo Member
Monaco for singleplayer - worth it?
Seems like I'm in the minority but I beat Monaco singleplayer and I think it's more enjoyable than multiplayer. I see a lot of people saying they play it very methodically and stealthily, and while that's a valid way to play, I don't think that's when it shines. Because enemies lose track of you very easily you're really free to run around like crazy and let people spot you left and right as long as you're good about confusing them. This way gameplay becomes very fast and fluid. Like you can run through an entire level and let everyone spot you and chase you, run into a bank valve, steal all the money, grab a disguise, run to a vent and crawl into it just as the disguise timer wears out, hop out the other end, bunch of people spot you, quickly hide behind a curtain in a patient room to lose all attention, etc. Stuff like that.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Don't forget to buy Monaco and Gunpoint.

Monaco will get your fix of co op in and Gunpoint is just as unique and fun while being an SP game.

Li Kao

Unhhh, today was a very bad day for my wallet (already in bad shape).
I decided to bite the bullet on the indies that interest me the most.

Monaco
Rogue Legacy
La-Mulana
Lone Survivor
Home

And during the summer sale I had already bought Fez and Gunpoint.
I'm poor as fuck but indie-wise, there is not a lot left in my wishlist (anodyne, stealth bastard, fortune summoner, evoland, rocketbirds, I can wait).

allansm

Seems like I'm in the minority but I beat Monaco singleplayer and I think it's more enjoyable than multiplayer. I see a lot of people saying they play it very methodically and stealthily, and while that's a valid way to play, I don't think that's when it shines. Because enemies lose track of you very easily you're really free to run around like crazy and let people spot you left and right as long as you're good about confusing them. This way gameplay becomes very fast and fluid. Like you can run through an entire level and let everyone spot you and chase you, run into a bank valve, steal all the money, grab a disguise, run to a vent and crawl into it just as the disguise timer wears out, hop out the other end, bunch of people spot you, quickly hide behind a curtain in a patient room to lose all attention, etc. Stuff like that.

I decided to take a risk and I bought Monaco for the singleplayer (It seems I can't resist the need to try for myself every high profile indie game) and the impression I got in the little I played matches yours.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Is PA a performance intensive game? Those who remember my specs, think I could run?

This was my most anticipated Daily...

And woop, hit my predicted 33% :p Probably grabbing it now.
You shouldnt have any issues playing the game.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So Sword of the Stars: The Pit went from no discount to a daily deal at 75% off, heh. Not sure if I'll be going for it though.

If you need a recommendation, let us know what you want to know about it.

And woop, hit my predicted 33% :p Probably grabbing it now.
You shouldnt have any issues playing the game.
Right on the money lol

Still have to think about it, but I'll probably pick it up as well

Edit: are most indies 9.99 or 14.99 (regular price, not discounted)? If I get PA, I'll have 11.01 left, that's why I'm asking

VandalD

Thanks for the thread! Grabbed Super House of Dead Ninjas based on recommendations here. It's pretty cool. Haven't delved into it too much yet, though it did annoy me that it doesn't want to recognize the d-pad.
How long does it usually take to get your card after spending $10? I bought 2 $10 games and only received one card for it.
It's been nearly instant every time I've gotten a card from a purchase, but I never spent enough to get two cards at once.

Toma

Right on the money lol

Still have to think about it, but I'll probably pick it up as well

Edit: are most indies 9.99 or 14.99 (regular price, not discounted)? If I get PA, I'll have 11.01 left, that's why I'm asking

9,99 for the most I think. There are plenty of games at 2,49 in the OP at 75% discounted.

Noogy

You guys have sold me on Strike Suit Zero, that game seems cool. Wondering if I should go all in and get the whole package ($5.99 vs $2.99). Comes with Infinity, whatever that is.

And I too just recently picked up Monaco strictly for single player. Played a few maps and really enjoyed what I've seen so far.

I think of all the indie games I've picked up during the sale, the one I'm most excited for is La Mulana. I just need to set aside a good chunk of time for it.

yami4ct

Well, at this point I think I'm willing to take the $4 bet (price difference current and 50% off) that Rogue Legacy isn't going on sale so I can have the whole weekend to play it.

And with that, the Steam summer sale is over for me. It wasn't too bad. There were some surprises, decent deal on Kerbal and amazing Tomb Raider deal to name a couple, but it seems overall just OK as far as Steam sales go. Indies seemed really underrepresented this time around. Really hope that the winter sale brings some more indie focused deals.

It's been fun guys. I probably won't be hanging around this thread as much given the sale's done for me, but you might see me around the normal Steam OT when this is all done.

Toma

You guys have sold me on Strike Suit Zero, that game seems cool. Wondering if I should go all in and get the whole package ($5.99 vs $2.99). Comes with Infinity, whatever that is.

And I too just recently picked up Monaco strictly for single player. Played a few maps and really enjoyed what I've seen so far.

I think of all the indie games I've picked up during the sale, the one I'm most excited for is La Mulana. I just need to set aside a good chunk of time for it.

From what I read, Infinity is the highscore gaming version which I bought as well for gameplay longevity since Zero is only the SP campaign.

Decado

From what I read, Infinity is the highscore gaming version which I bought as well for gameplay longevity since Zero is only the SP campaign.

The mega bundle also has two other pieces of DLC, at least one of which seems to add to the single player campaign (what I'm interested in). Are they worth it, or just go for the main game?

EDIT: I see this game has workshop support. Is there much of a modding community?

Toma

The mega bundle also has two other pieces of DLC, at least one of which seems to add to the single player campaign (what I'm interested in). Are they worth it, or just go for the main game?

EDIT: I see this game has workshop support. Is there much of a modding community?

Unfortunately, I dont know, but I didnt feel like nickel and diming my decision personally. People seem to enjoy the game very much, so I might as well grab the whole bundle for 85% off which is an awesome deal. Gotta support these hungry devs :p

Sorry I cant help! Next sale I'll probably be better informed and will have played these games by then.

Decado

Unfortunately, I dont know, but I didnt feel like nickel and diming my decision personally. People seem to enjoy the game very much, so I might as well grab the whole bundle for 85% off which is an awesome deal. Gotta support these hungry devs :p

Sorry I cant help! Next sale I'll probably be better informed and will have played these games by then.

I just bought the main game. I can pick up the DLC later, if needed. I wonder how this game did, overall? I know the initial reception was pretty mixed.

Lyude77

Thanks for the thread! Grabbed Super House of Dead Ninjas based on recommendations here. It's pretty cool. Haven't delved into it too much yet, though it did annoy me that it doesn't want to recognize the d-pad.
I think the developers are going to patch that back in soon, some people were having bad slowdown.

DSix

Banned

Strike Suit Zero is a great game, got for it.
If you only want to play the SP campaign and none of that highscore stuff, just get the main game and Heroes of the Fleet DLC for more missions. Otherwise just get the full bundle. There's less than a 1€ difference anyway.

There is no modding community, the few tiny workshop mods are made by the devs themselves.

Deitus

Would someone care to give me an elevator pitch on To the Moon? I watched the trailer on Steam, and I really liked the music, but I still have no real idea what it is. It appears to be well liked, and the price is nice, but I still need to be sold on it.

Burt

Would someone care to give me an elevator pitch on To the Moon? I watched the trailer on Steam, and I really liked the music, but I still have no real idea what it is. It appears to be well liked, and the price is nice, but I still need to be sold on it.

It's as much (if not more) a story than a game, but it's still interesting and has some pretty serious feels.

Okay last question:
The only Steam game I'm saving $$ for is Door Kickers once it releases. On the dev site, the alpha is 7.99. Would that be the likely price once the game officially releases?

I'd get the game there but they don't accept Amazon Payments :(

Toma

Okay last question:
The only Steam game I'm saving $$ for is Door Kickers once it releases. On the dev site, the alpha is 7.99. Would that be the likely price once the game officially releases?

Yeah, I dont see why they'd change the price for a steam release.

dangeROSS

Thanks for your impressions. 5 or 6 solid entertainment hours is good enough for a $5 game. I'll pick it up by the end of the sale. It has been ages since I played a space sim and this sounds easier than trying to install Freespace 2 and its mods :p

BTW, how is the DLC?

I actually just finished up Strike Suit Infinity today. I ended up with about 8 hours of playtime. It is essentially just high score modes for you to play through. You can choose what sort of ship assistance you want at the beginning of the level through a credit system. Things get progressively harder as you go on. There are bonus levels thrown throughout where you unlimited access to your robot mode to blow up tons and tons of enemies. Which is neat because you never get the chance to do such massive chaos normally.

I didn't get the Heroes of the Fleet DLC, so I can't comment on that. I'm tempted to grab the soundtrack now that that's on sale as well. There is some nice music in the game.

Both Infinity and Zero were really enjoyable to me. If you want a straight up space combat game with some robot action thrown in, you can't go wrong with them. Especially at that price.

Burt

Okay last question:

Most developers sell alphas at a discounted price to get early funding to aid in development. So yeah, it'll probably go up, but most likely only to $10. $15 max.

Tak3n

Banned
Well I bit the bullet on Monaco, based on you guys, and I agree it is excellent....

Just a tip if you buy it direct from their site, it is slightly cheaper, comes with a steam key and the Pre Order stuff

Toma

I just forwarded this thread info to Salsa who will make a new thread for last day purchases the day after tomorrow. I'll be on the way back home the whole day tomorrow and wont be able to check/take care of anything in here anymore. Feel free to still ask for impressions and stuff though until the last day thread is up :) Thank you everyone for participating, it was a good time.

If you miss the Indie talk, feel free to hop over to the monthly Indie thread series:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=608986

Bis bald Jungs!

To the Moon is the one game that has moved me most in 30 years of gaming. The story it tells does not hit everyone right in the heart, but for those who do, ouch.

Also, check your PM. :D

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Posted this in the Steam Summer Sale topic, post it here too.

A few indie games that are cheaper right now on GMG:

large-5-640x350.jpg

Anodyne ($4.99 on Steam, $3.39 on GMG)

large-4-640x350.jpg

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams($4.94 on Steam, $4.79 on GMG)

large-1-640x350.jpg

Dear Esther ($2.49 on Steam, $1.79 on GMG)

large-3-640x350.jpg

Lunar Flight ($3.39 on Steam, $2.49 on GMG)

large-6-640x350.jpg

CreaVures ($4.99 on Steam, $1.25 on GMG)

large-3-640x350.jpg

Q.U.B.E. Against the Clock DLC ($2.99 on Steam, $1.24 on GMG)

large-5_-640x350.jpg

Journey Down: Chapter 1 ($3.49 on Steam, $2.37 on GMG)

Has anybody played this?

It looks like a game I'd like, so I'd love to hear some impressions.

This game is lying on my backlog for quite some time and I haven't played it properly. :(
I remember the reason I bought this game was because I liked the charater's art and was in a mood to play adventure games.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I have yet to touch The Journey Down but a friend of mine told me it's pretty good. Likable characters, interesting world to explore. Short but hopefully with the rest of the chapters not too far along.

If we're talking about claymation-inspired (or in this case straight up claymation) adventure titles, I have to tip my hat to The Dream Machine. It's currently incomplete and has been extended to 6 chapters instead of 5 (everyone who pays for it as is will get all 6 chapters) but with Chapter 4 due in a week and a half I think it deserves a bit of attention.

A touch of surrealism, a dash of wackiness and some good old fashioned point n clickin.

So, after playing Dust, my son is on a Metroid-vania kick (thanks Noogy!). Anything like else in that vein on sale (or on steam in general) ? He has money burning a hole in his steam wallet.

Top Bottom