• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shantom

This is a longshot, but is anyone interested in a four pack for Tennis Elbow 2013? It's 35% off, which is the cheapest it's been despite being over 2 years old. Someone else would need to host it because the game is more expensive in the UK than anywhere else.

Boson X for 29 cents btw

Great deal for a great game.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Like what though?

Like a card or an emoticon for getting all the achievements.

It wouldn't even need to be something as tangible as that, I was thinking more in the way of functionality on the site and/or stuff that's built into the Steam client.

I think it would be great to be able to, for example, compare your achievements between a group of friends. You can compare your achievements to someone else's (one person at a time), but the interface for that is more or less completely hidden. Enhanced Steam adds a link to the activity page, but otherwise that functionality is buried about 4-5 pages deep in the interface. Even something simple, like "Which one of my friends has the most achievements in this game?" page would be nice. As a bonus maybe it could show the top three (if you have three friends that have achievements in a particular game).

Or how about adding something to the activity page saying "jshackles just reached 3,000 (or whatever milestone) achievements on Steam!" as an automatic announcement? How about a badge?

There is so much potential here that's being absolutely ignored. I know that achievements are fundamentally broken on Steam, but why not take steps to fix the sort of loopholes that allow for stuff like SAM? That's been an issue for years, and regardless of how the system was set up to begin with there has been plenty of time to fix these sorts of problems.

It wouldn't even need to be something as tangible as that, I was thinking more in the way of functionality on the site and/or stuff that's built into the Steam client.

I think it would be great to be able to, for example, compare your achievements between a group of friends. You can compare your achievements to someone else's (one person at a time), but the interface for that is more or less completely hidden. Enhanced Steam adds a link to the activity page, but otherwise that functionality is buried about 4-5 pages deep in the interface. Even something simple, like "Which one of my friends has the most achievements in this game?" page would be nice. As a bonus maybe it could show the top three (if you have three friends that have achievements in a particular game).

Or how about adding something to the activity page saying "jshackles just reached 3,000 (or whatever milestone) achievements on Steam!" as an automatic announcement? How about a badge?

There is so much potential here that's being absolutely ignored. I know that achievements are fundamentally broken on Steam, but why not take steps to fix the sort of loopholes that allow for stuff like SAM? That's been an issue for years, and regardless of how the system was set up to begin with there has been plenty of time to fix these sorts of problems.

Oh I get you. On a system level they don't really do much with them.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yes, that would be best. As long as it's early April anyway.
well yeah

by my birthday

Too bad, here is some more Riot Points instead.
barely have anything left to spend them on -__-

HOTS is a really weird take on MOBA where they want to make it family friendly, everyone is happy, sunshine and unicorn, log in to do your dailies.

It's like they took WoW PVP (the battlegrounds, not arena) and turned in into a MOBA.
didnt play wow so no idea

also dont particularly mind the everybody is happy thing, etc.

like, these games are pretty fucking intense, they could use some sunshine and rainbows

Street Fighter V still needs some work in the physics department.
omg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
One thing I've always wanted to see with respect to achievements is that for games with linear progress, tracked by achievements, it'd be nice to see "How far did my friends get". So there could be a left-to-right timeline of "progress" through the game, like Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, etc. And you'd see your friends avatars beneath how far they got.

It'd require metadata about which achievements are the plot achievements and what order they're in, so I wouldn't expect it to be retroactive, but regardless I think it'd be pretty effort and I think a lot of people would like it.

I asked this the other day but still need an answer...

Does NBA 2K16 have any other region locking tied to it other than needing a VPN to buy it on Nuuvem?

Mivey

One thing I've always wanted to see with respect to achievements is that for games with linear progress, tracked by achievements, it'd be nice to see "How far did my friends get". So there could be a left-to-right timeline of "progress" through the game, like Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, etc. And you'd see your friends avatars beneath how far they got.

It'd require metadata about which achievements are the plot achievements and what order they're in, so I wouldn't expect it to be retroactive, but regardless I think it'd be pretty effort and I think a lot of people would like it.
Maybe they'd do that with cards. Achievements don't give them money, through the inherent trading process.
At least Valve is kind of obvious about profit maximization without pissing off peope too much. I like that transparency.

MUnited83

For you.
I asked this the other day but still need an answer...

Does NBA 2K16 have any other region locking tied to it other than needing a VPN to buy it on Nuuvem?

If it did it would have a warning on Nuuvem's page.

You can also confirm that by searching on steamdb.
There is no separate sub for Brazil, so you should be fine. The only separate country sub I see is for China.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Yep, that's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. And if you're adding metadata for story or completion-based achievements, you'd also have to tag the order of progression. Then you could fix the problem of achievements not activating for earlier unmissable content.

Either way, I routinely open up a game's achievement page before playing and can usually get a fair idea of the process based on global percentages. But having this kind of functionality built-in would be a huge time saver and a great feature.

I don't think so, neither have i heard of it having it in any capacity.

If it did it would have a warning on Nuuvem's page.

You can also confirm that by searching on steamdb.
There is no separate sub for Brazil, so you should be fine. The only separate country sub I see is for China.

alright...thanks for answering

It has the whole "not available in your country" (or however they word it) at checkout so I just wanted to check. If I get it I'd just do the regular version for about $24. The special edition isn't worth it to me since it's just a couple of digital items I have 0 interest in.

Turfster

That would be nice to have.
Another thing they would be great if game completion didn't just count number of achievements you'd gotten / max achievements per games.
I completed a lot of games without getting all the bullshit achievements, not to mention that all the older, achievement-less games don't count.

sprinkles

I was really happy when I finally reached 50% completion rate, but in the end the existence of SAM means there won't be anything meaningful with achievements on a Steam level ever.

I was really happy when I finally reached 50% completion rate, but in the end the existence of SAM means there won't be anything meaningful with achievements on a Steam level ever.

Sadly but at least if you play the game and know how some of the achievements work. You can see the timestamps and see if anyone cheated. Then again some of them people could have gotten offline so I don't know actually.

Benedict

If I'm interested in Europa Universalis IV and want to eventually buy it on Humble Bundle store, what should I get of what's available for best content and price in the Build it Paradox bundle?

Annubis

didnt play wow so no idea

also dont particularly mind the everybody is happy thing, etc.

like, these games are pretty fucking intense, they could use some sunshine and rainbows

The end result in WoW is that PVP turned 10,000% toxic.
It's like, the more you try and make everyone 'happy' the harder everyone will try to make each other unhappy.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

This is a great idea, and now I can't understand how nobody did it before.

Boson X for 29 cents btw

How weird. That's the exact amount I have left in my wallet.
ohhh.png

maty

Finished Hotline Miami 2 this weekend and I'm now playing on hard as well as replaying levels on normal to get A+ scores. I can see why the 1st one is considered better than the sequel.

JBJ2gNx.png

The story was a little hard to follow but that doesn't detract much from the game though sometimes intros and outros should be shorter. While some weapons/masks/dual wielding are cool additions, HM2 is a lot more restrictive in how you can tackle any given level. Masks and weapons are tied to specific acts which gives less leeway to experiment.

Trying to get highscores basically comes down to repeating the level until you figure out the best path to take to get a high combo. Unless there is an easier way to achieve them I don't know about.

The music is still great

I just realized that after playing Hero of the Kingdom II, I surpassed 3,000 Steam achievements.

I wish there was more achievement-based functionality on Steam.

Unfortunately since they are too easy to cheat nothing is going to be done with them.

Speaking of achievements, would it be possible to add an option to sort games by completion rate in your games tab in a future enhanced steam update? I'd love a fast and easy way to see which games I'm closer to 100% and see if I want to go for it and complete them.

That would be nice.

Finally I need a little help with a Goat Simulator achievement, BFF. I need to lick a friend who is playing the MMO map at the same time as I do (I realize this sounds wrong :p).

I read you can do it without anyone playing but it takes forever for a friend's name to spawn in the game. Only achievement I'm missing besides the GOATZ ones which I don't own yet.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

SAM can't do anything with server-side achievements, but they're seldom used and I don't know if it's possible for Valve to push through a Steam-wide update that changes all achievements to server-side ones as not every game that supports achievements uses CEG ("Steam DRM").

Does anyone know where the Killing Floor 2 level/stats are saved? Removing everything about it from my computer in an attempt to get it to work but I don't want to lose my progress.

Have there been any Armikrog impressions?

Dr Dogg

Hey this is cool, the Blu Ray that came with my Japanese Special Ed of MGS5 actually has English language and subtitle options. Also a lot more classier than the Western Collectors Ed and doesn't have any silly spelling mistakes like on the 'guantlet'.

The problem is they don't say "Bloodborne is a souls-like". They straight up consider it a souls game and then bitch about oversaturation and how Dark Souls 3 is here too fast.

But if you played Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 and made some sort of sorcery/faith/pyromancer build and relied heavily on magic... if you played a build where you relied on using a shield instead of dodge rolling... none of those things are options in Bloodborne. There's a few things that are sort of like magic, but they're not really spells in the mechanics. There is a shield I found at some point, but the game flat out tells you it's pretty much useless (and you don't see people use it for a reason).

Does it share a lot of DNA? Sure.
But is it everything a souls game from FROM is outside of having a Souls name? Most definitely not.

There was some crazy on another forum I stick my head in trying to assert that they are one and the same as they both have Patches in them. Of course they conveniently were ignoring everyone telling them he's also in the Armored Core games. Hey maybe Armored Core is a Souls game too :p

ZhugeEX

Banned

This was announced during a Microsoft event that Dark Souls 3 and other games would launch before Chinese new year (feb 8th). On further investigation the list included Garden Warfare 2 and The Division which are currently slated to launch after February (in March and April) so it looks like Microsoft may have got the information wrong themselves.

They say all three of those games will launch before Feb 8th but based on what we know it may be a mistake on their end.

zkylon

zkylewd
That's the joke silly.
im bad at jokes -__-

The end result in WoW is that PVP turned 10,000% toxic.
It's like, the more you try and make everyone 'happy' the harder everyone will try to make each other unhappy.
i c

i wish ppl were had a bit more sportmanship (or sportswomanship), cos like, trashtalking is fun and all but you can't do anything like that without ppl going off the handle and wishing u cancer and calling you all sorts of racist/sexist crap lol

dex3108

Since people are posting their most played games lists i was wondering how would my list look. So here it is :D

My top 10 Steam games by playtime (tnx Raptr):

1. Team Fortress 2 - 256h (most of those are idling)
  2. Sonic & All-Star racing - 50h
  3. Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 - 40h
  4. GTA IV - 38h (if i add time from GFWL version it is 43h)
  5. BattleBlock Theater - 37h
  6. Batman: Arkham Origins - 35h
  7. Rayman Legends, BitTrip Runner 2, L.A. Noire - 34h
  8. Dishonored, Thief (Reboot) - 33h
  9. Portal 2 - 32h
  10. GTA: San Andreas - 29h

Top 10 Non-Steam games by playtime:

1. Assassin's Creed III - 113h
  2. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - 105h
  3. GTA V - 77h
  4. Assassin's Creed: Revelations - 76h
  5. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - 72h