• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Turfster.

z6ecKCp.png

5RV4tPn.png
Providing some context to my most played game list

CKII - The game is very complex, mostly of my playtime was trying to learn it's mechanics and even after all these hours I still get wrecked by the other rulers. Still fun and the AGOT mod is great

Risk of Rain - It was a game that I was anticipating, it's fast pace and very fun to play action platformer roguelike-like. Even though there are some issues with online multiplayer you can still have a good single-player or local coop experience

TF2 - I don't think there is too much to talk about TF2, the silliness of it kept playing and also getting items dropping. Damn you Volvo.

Endless Space - It was the first 4x I played, many people loathe the combat mechanics but I didn't mind it at all. The game can be a great introduction to people wanting to get into the genre.

KOTOR II - Highly praised and it's deserved, playing with the restored content mod is a must but in my opinion there are too many fights in this game and I always end getting bored by it. The writing is pretty good.

Pillars of Eternity - Another first game that I played in the genre, in this case isometric RPG. I enjoyed it a lot, the writing is good and there are many choices to be made during the game, as expected from Obsidian though some of the flavour text you can read on the NPC's souls gets tiring pretty fast, after Act 1 I stopped reading about them.

Terraria - Dig, build stuff, fight bosses, dig more, build more stuff, fight more bosses. This is Terraria, I can't really explain what I exactly like about it, maybe it's the exploration of world or the digging, I really like digging in this game.

DOTA 2 - Played it during the beta phase, it was fun playing with a semi-static and very relaxed group. I can't imagine myself playing it with random people.

LEGO MARVEL Super Heroes - I grew up reading Marvel comics and playing with generic building blocks, plus I played it along with my young brother who also loves Legos and Marvel heroes so it was a good experience even though I encountered various bugs and I can't advance the Galactus fight because of my computer

Fallout: New Vegas - Ask zkylon, he will lecture you about this game.

Deitus

I may be gone for a while then. Still on Mission 8.

The side ops are like a virus. I completed one and two more pop up. G'damn.

I don't mind the side ops. They are nice little bite size chunks that you aren't scored on, so I can rush through them and not worry about getting spotted. They don't feel essential that you need to take them on right away (except the occasional one that has a reward you really want), but you can just clean them up when you have free time. I might feel differently after 20 more hours with the game though.

The problem is that they are so spread out on the map, and so far I don't have a great way to traverse long distances other than the horse. So I finish up a mission, and figure I have time to clean up a few side ops while I am still deployed, only every side op is all the way across the map. I mean sure, I could call a helicopter, but that costs money, and at that point I might as well return to base and redeploy.

There was one time when I finished up a mission, and immediately unlocked a side op located in the base I just did the mission in. That was amusing. Of course all of the enemies were back though.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I don't mind the side ops. They are nice little bite size chunks that you aren't scored on, so I can rush through them and not worry about getting spotted. They don't feel essential that you need to take them on right away (except the occasional one that has a reward you really want), but you can just clean them up when you have free time. I might feel differently after 20 more hours with the game though.

The problem is that they are so spread out on the map, and so far I don't have a great way to traverse long distances other than the horse. So I finish up a mission, and figure I have time to clean up a few side ops while I am still deployed, only every side op is all the way across the map. I mean sure, I could call a helicopter, but that costs money, and at that point I might as well return to base and redeploy.

There was one time when I finished up a mission, and immediately unlocked a side op located in the base I just did the mission in. That was amusing. Of course all of the enemies were back though.

Keep your eyes peeled for the orange cargo loading platforms. Each one has a little shipping manifest attached to it which you can grab to enable that location for fast travel in the future. Then all you have to do while on the field is sit on one of the loading platforms with your cardboard box (like back at Mother Base) and choose what previous location you want to travel to by holding down the proper button when the prompt appears.

They won't allow any shipping trucks to move while on alert, but it's super useful to know.

rtcn63

So, I fulton'd a B soldier, but then was told I ran out of space, and needed to build more base things. Did I lose that soldier?

zkylon

zkylewd
if anyone cares, avira antivirus is a piece of shit

i'm going back to mse, at least viruses are less annoying

gooood

there's not enough kill la kill gifs in this world

f85.gif

I'm not saying you can't like it, it's still one of most boring and antifun games ever created, embrace it.
pls, that couldn't be further from the truth, specially when it shares mechanics with like an entire genre but is actually the one walking simulator that makes exploring worth your while because everything's interactive and has a bit of a narrative element to it, what with finding all the story cues and the sidestories and just general 90s nostalgia. there's also a ton of secrets. everyone loves secrets, rite?

something like dear esther is tons more boring because everywhere you go is just map bounds and that's it. you can enter caverns and see pretty rocks and pretty stuff everywhere but nothing's interactable and it just such a slow crawl through everything. that's like a ton more boring

not to mention actually boring games like i dunno, that modern call of juarez or whatever.

although now i'm wondering if u were talking about mgs4, in which case i wouldn't bother much defending it but i wouldn't call it that boring or antifun either

since when zero punctuation does games?
since forever, he actually has like 7 small adventure horror games. i hear they're pretty good!

Doto is like LoL only better

so guns guns guns guns guns

Can we agree on the fact that Smite is worse? Also fuck HiRez' CEO or whatever, fuck Bart. Fuck him in the ass.
i duno about smite, i duno about hots so no opinions on those

also i dont want to know about ur sexual life dood gross

Deitus

Keep your eyes peeled for the orange cargo loading platforms. Each one has a little shipping manifest attached to it which you can grab to enable that location for fast travel in the future. Then all you have to do while on the field is sit on one of the loading platforms with your cardboard box (like back at Mother Base) and choose what previous location you want to travel to by holding down the proper button when the prompt appears.

They won't allow any shipping trucks to move while on alert, but it's super useful to know.

Yeah, I had picked up a few of those already, but I didn't know what to do with them until the other day when my friend told me about the fast travel. Still though, most of those are inside of bases, so you have to sneak into a base to fast travel to another base, which you have to sneak out of to head to your actual destination. Seems like a hassle. Unless your destination happens to be inside a base with a cargo platform I guess.

But anyway, it's not so much that it's hard to travel across the map. The helicopter does the job well when you actually have a reason to cover long distances. It's just for these bite size side-ops, where you just want to clean up a few while you are already deployed (like you would collectibles in any other open world game), and then they are all the way across the map and I'm like "Ugh, nevermind, I'll just go back to base." The actual side-ops themselves are fine, but it's not really worth the whole excursion to clear one tiny side-op for such little payout (both in terms of rewards, and gameplay).

Edit: I guess the solution is, just wait until I happen to be in the area, and then do the side-op. If the side-op promises a decent enough reward though, I might go out of my way to clear it sooner.

Adnor

Banned
Did I break Divinity Original Sin's story by killing Loic before doing the trials?

Not really,
you don't really have to infiltrate the Immaculates, you can kill them all the moment you see them and still finish the game.

So, I fulton'd a B soldier, but then was told I ran out of space, and needed to build more base things. Did I lose that soldier?

He will stay in the Waiting room until you get more space or you dismiss him.

Dsyndrome

I'm ashamed that Clicker Heroes is now my #1 most played game with 158 hours. Next highest is Skyrim with 97 hours (not ashamed with that, I had fun).

Annubis

i duno about smite, i duno about hots so no opinions on those

HOTS is a really weird take on MOBA where they want to make it family friendly, everyone is happy, sunshine and unicorn, log in to do your dailies.

It's like they took WoW PVP (the battlegrounds, not arena) and turned in into a MOBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom