• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
In order to ease into Horror October month I've started to play They Bleed Pixels and it is freakin' sweet.... I only play at night tho

horror games where you are the monster arent horror games (not that TBP is a horror game anyway, but doubly so)

Im always baffled at people that say the
haunted mansion
level / area in Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines was so scary, Im like "dude...I was a blood magic telekinetic badass vampire, those
ghosts
were afraid of ME"

and im not even being a internet badass over here, im the biggest self proclaimed pussy with games, I couldnt handle more than 5 minutes of PT... hell I cant handle Penumbra, and that looks like ass these days. Gone Home was freaking me out for a bit for crying out loud >_>

Ozium

horror games where you are the monster arent horror games (not that TBP is a horror game anyway, but doubly so)

Im always baffled at people that say the
haunted mansion
level / area in Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines was so scary, Im like "dude...I was a blood magic telekinetic badass vampire, those
ghosts
were afraid of ME"

and im not even being a internet badass over here, im the biggest self proclaimed pussy with games, I couldnt handle more than 5 minutes of PT... hell I cant handle Penumbra, and that looks like ass these days. Gone Home was freaking me out for a bit for crying out loud >_>

TBP isn't scary but it has a horror setting. If you dispute this you're factually wrong.

Where does it say that the protag can't be a monster in order for something to be horror? Is Lucius not in the horror genre now?

Anteater

they bleed pixels is the sidescroller beat'em'up game right? I think I played it on family sharing, it's about as much of a horror as devil may cry.

Ozium

they bleed pixels is the sidescroller beat'em'up game right? I think I played it on family sharing, it's about as much of a horror as devil may cry.

the whole premise of the game and its setting is based on Lovecraftian themes. how is that comparable to DMC?

Khronico

I'm honestly considering selling my AMD key of Alien Isolation when I get it because I can't deal with horror games. I can't even play FEAR, I quit 30 mins in because I couldn't cope. Although I did manage through Dead Space, but I wasn't really scared at all by that game for some reason.

Jawmuncher

the whole premise of the game and its setting is based on Lovecraftian themes. how is that comparable to DMC?

He was just comparing two extremes.

They Bleed Pixels is as horror as RE6.

He didn't give two shits about the themes when comparing and neither do i.

Turfster

I'm honestly considering selling my AMD key of Alien Isolation when I get it because I can't deal with horror games. I can't even play FEAR, I quit 30 mins in because I couldn't cope. Although I did manage through Dead Space, but I wasn't really scared at all by that game for some reason.

Dead space telegraphed its shitty jump scares hours in advance.

Anteater

in the same way where both games are based on literature with some sort of horror theme but the final product isn't actually scary :V?

Khronico

Dead space telegraphed its shitty jump scares hours in advance.

I remember one specific jump scare in the greenhouse place where I was walking back to the elevator down a long dark hallway. The lights suddenly turn on in front of said elevator, and out pops a necromorph. I suppose it would have been scary if I didn't have plentiful ammo and upgrades, and that it would take him a good 20 seconds to reach me. I just laughed out loud and blew him to pieces.

dot

I think i heard something about a Chivalry gaf game night? I'm down for that.

yeah i like how the game looks, it looks so close to the original film. Man it's been a while since I've played a horror game.but I think I've watched enough alien films I think I'll be fine!

I never really watched Alien that much but i have to agree, it pays homage to the original movie quite well. It just feels like an Alien movie. Hopefully the game itself is good.

Kuroyume

Banned
Extras from hitting the submit button too much while the site was getting hammered...

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Receiver 1 -- MB-4A76AE8206338D83 - Taken by dot
Receiver 2 -- MB-7B3B9CA2DD185BAA - Taken by liezryou

Be sure to redeem this game to your Steam account before September 29, 2014 @ 10am PT. Once it is redeemed on your account, it is yours to keep, but the key is only available for a limited time.

a3zw9wh2uiq.gif

Anteater

That's actually a version that came after it I think, RE4 went through a few revisions, kamiya's version turned into dmc, the hookman version was someone else's.

Kamiya's version was never about Leon or something, it was some guy in red clothing that resembles dante and his father was actually spencer. The OP in kamiya's twitter thread was actually about that, lol, but I'm too lazy to read through that shit again.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
He was just comparing two extremes.

They Bleed Pixels is as horror as RE6.

He didn't give two shits about the themes when comparing and neither do i.

what Munch said (also Munch proving once again that he knows whats up). A horror theme does not make a horror game, otherwise Devil May Cry games or the Castlevania games are horror games for example. I was just saying that if you are a badass monster yourself (like you are in TBP or Bloodlines), than there is little reason to be scared of other monsters, therefore you lose what makes a horror game...a horror game.

I said "game" a lot in that paragraph >_>

Rhaknar says it's the best Spider-Man game ever.

I have never said that, I havent played it.

zkylon

zkylewd
Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 8: Engine Power

Ohhhhhhhh.

I want to play the inevitable LotR mod for this.
yeah i almost freaked out when i saw this but unfortunately no gameplay whatsoever

like hurry the fuck up taleworlds T_T

They're tying it to the lead up to the Free Hoxton DLC but it's not the same. For one it costs $7 when the Free Hoxton DLC should be free. The community announcement also had this pic.

Looks like you can't kick down doors like in Hotline Miami and need c4 to do it. :( Pretty sure that's a new gun too.

I wasn't expecting this to $7 like Big Bank, hopefully the heist itself substantial enough to warrant it. It doesn't have the usual "only $7 to host it but anyone can play it" qualifier but I imagine it will be the same. Though I doubt it will go on sale for Crimefest on Oct 18, still waiting on that to pick up the Assault Pack.

edit: Oh damn I just realised the new DS2 DLC comes out on the same day and Smash comes out three days later. So little time. :(
yeah this whole thing is pretty cool if anything to shoot the white suit russian dudes

long since abandoned payday tho

one day, salsa, one day...

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Receiver -- MB-E1796B37A7BAFFEE - Taken by crazyrabbits
Receiver #2 -- MB-587877E0F59A6FD3 - Taken by Abomination

Parsnip

Oh, shit.
I just realized that Mordor comes out at the same day as the delayed third Dark Souls 2 dlc. Damn it.

I think I'll play the dlc first, just in case Mordor needs a day 1 patch or something.

Rhaknar

When did I call They Bleed Pixels a horror game?

I guess you didnt, but when you said you were "easing into horror month" and that you even "played it at night" it made it sound, to me at least, you were playing it as a horror game

my bad

Jawmuncher

We need a sequel to Haunting Ground/Clock Tower 4.

http://www.picgifs.com/games-gifs/games-gifs/haunting-ground/picgifs-haunting-ground-182911.gifIMG]
[IMG]http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5hfrx8Gt71qf4iod.gif[MG]

[SPOILER]Fiona probably alternate history Ashley[/SPOILER][/QUOTE]

[URL="http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110130210000/capcomdatabase/images/0/0a/FionaAltCostume3.png"]Yeah[/URL] we need a new [URL="http://imok2009.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/fionaaltcostume2.png"]game[/URL]

Ozium

I guess you didnt, but when you said you were "easing into horror month" and that you even "played it at night" it made it sound, to me at least, you were playing it as a horror game

my bad

I'm easing into it with something that is not horror but has a horror theme.. I play it at night to reinforce the theme of darkness and death.

Sorry I said you like Kraven Manor.. I remember you pimpin' it out and thought you had said it was good..

edit: I also usually play through a classicvania game on Halloween night as well.... too bad that series is dead.

Shadownet

Banned
So according to the store page. The new Sherlock Holmes game come out in 1 day and 6 hours.

That's 2am EDT on the 30th? But the release date is the 29th.. Something is wrong here.

Li Kao

I'm downloading Wolfenstein, and... man is it my PC that didn't like the upgrade to 8.1* or the new Steam acting up ? I wasn't afraid of the 30+ Go thinking I could let the download happen during dinner times, but no, two times now and two times I find my little fucker doing nothing. The download is active, not paused, but no activity. It is becoming a little stressful. I wouldn't say it breaks my balls, but...
And to thing I have Mordor to install after Wolfenstein.

* I so so love the charm bar disappearing bug.

So according to the store page. The new Sherlock Holmes game come out in 1 day and 6 hours.

That's 2am EDT on the 30th? But the release date is the 29th.. Something is wrong here.
Maybe it's releasing at 11pm PDT? It wouldn't be the first time a game released at or near midnight on release day.

Rhaknar

I'm easing into it with something that is not horror but has a horror theme.. I play it at night to reinforce the theme of darkness and death.

Sorry I said you like Kraven Manor.. I remember you pimpin' it out and thought you had said it was good..

edit: I also usually play through a classicvania game on Halloween night as well.... too bad that series is dead.

if only :(

Ozium

Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions or whatever wasn't bad..

best Spider-Man game I've played,...

the only other one was that 90s PC game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom