• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

derExperte

I know this question was asked recently but I can't find it atm and as the 970 is shipping sooner than expected...
What games do you guys recommend to feel the upgrade from a 560ti to a 970 ?
Someone said Crysis 3 but that's all I can remember and I'm still shell shocked by the mediocrity of the second one.

Dead Rising 3 and soon Ryse. Metro 2033 and LL Redux, all the Ubi ports, Tomb Raider with max settings, the newer Total War games.

agniswarm

Banned
I also used sound to find the bells (if I remember correctly) in the first town..
but it has lots of glitches..like digging doesnt happen most of the time and doesnt add anything to my inventory..
Its meant for extremely patient people who want to move around and explore to find out things..
5AB583601FFD6EC9DC3E2A21BEBC5E1F7323CE01

1024x0.resizedimage

That's why you use the sound to find them. This is why I praised the sound design.

I know this question was asked recently but I can't find it atm and as the 970 is shipping sooner than expected...
Someone said Crysis 3 but that's all I can remember and I'm still shell shocked by the mediocrity of the second one.

Crysis 3 and Battlefield 4 are the two best looking games I can think of. Pick between boring and broken.

Dr Dogg

Yeah, I've been doing this for a while with a combination of different steps I find online. The farthest I get is that it had an unsolvable connection error the moment I try to start it.

Well that's a pain. I can't remeber exactly where I got the advice or files needed to fix my instal but from what I remeber Googling at the time there are serveral issues folks run into and not the same problem every time. eightforums.com is usually my first port of call so I might have got something for there. Hope you sort it soon.

Sleeping Dogs, Sleeping Dogs and Sleeping Dogs. Even going from 2 480s to 1 780 was a massive step up in that game.

aku:jiki

but it has lots of glitches..like digging doesnt happen most of the time and doesnt add anything to my inventory..
You need a shovel to dig in spots that are covered in rocks, the small shovel you get early on isn't enough for all spots. Pretty sure the game tells you that every time you try...

Crysis 3 and Battlefield 4 are the two best looking games I can think of. Pick between boring and broken.
The worst thing one can say about crysis 3 is that it can me mediocre at times. But the tech is still amazing and it runs better than some more recent releases on pc ( cough cough dead rising 3 assflag cough cough). I thoroughly enjoyed it for the $5 I spent on it and would've liked to see what a sequel could've brought.

UnrealEck

• Crysis 3
  • Battlefield 4
  • Arma 3
  • Lichdom Battlemage
  • Watch Dogs
  • Metro Last Light
  • Skyrim (with mods)
  • Ryse (out soon)
  • Ass Ass Creed 4
  • Total War 2

Any modern game will test it if you crank the settings and bump the resolution up to things like 1440p, 1600p and 2160p.

Sarcasm

Metro 2003 the non-redux.

Jawmuncher

Today I discovered that anybody can download the pre-pre-pre-pre-alpha of Unreal Tournament "2014".
It runs really well on my 680 despite running on UE4... maybe it's because the textures are extremely low res.

I wonder if Epic is going to do something similar to Quake Live (which I started playing 2 days ago and is really fun) and put it on Steam once it's done.

I definitely see them going for a F2P avenue and dismissing steam would hurt more than anything for that sort of game. Quake Live just saw a huge boost thanks to being on steam.

Li Kao

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate them ! But man, there is a distinct lack of love for Wolfenstein here. Not sure if it is a graphically stunning game, but the idea of playing it on a powerful rig is quite exciting to me.
Nice of Nvidia to release this new line just before the Halloween and autumn sales :eek:

wilflare

Sell it now while you can still manage to get a half decent price out of it.

There have been huge numbers of 7970/280x/290(x)'s being pushed through on a computer hardware trading forum I'm apart of, as miners dump move onto different hardware. Most people selling are struggling to get 180-190AUD for the 280x's, even the non-miners trying to sell. It's only going to get worse.

sounds like I should sell my 280X and use my 5830 while I wait and bid for the next big upgrade?

JustLynx

Splinter Cell Blacklist
Metro Last Light (The regular one, but I think the redux will be even more awesome)
these games are just gorgeous and excellent games imo

derExperte

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate them ! But man, there is a distinct lack of love for Wolfenstein here. Not sure if it is a graphically stunning game, but the idea of playing it on a powerful rig is quite exciting to me.
Nice of Nvidia to release this new line just before the Halloween and autumn sales :eek:

Wolf doesn't need a high end card to be played at max settings.

Metro 2003 the non-redux.

He wants to feel the upgrade and not the need to buy a second 970.

That's why you use the sound to find them. This is why I praised the sound design.

Did you ruin your pocket protector with the vomit or did it make it through all right?
The hell is a pocket protector?
I listen to the Giant Bombcast, Idle Thumbs, and 8-4 Play. They are all general gaming podcasts in format (news, discussions of what games people have been playing, and reader mail), so there is unfortunately quite a bit of overlap between them. I went overboard on podcasts a few years back, and found myself several months behind, so I had to purge most of the redundancy to get down to a number that I can actually listen to in a week. While the remaining 3 are fairly similar in format, they all come from very different perspectives, enough so to make it interesting.

Giant Bombcast is just a group of entertaining dudes who talk about games, but work in games media. Idle Thumbs is a group of (mostly) developers who take an analytical approach to discussing games. 8-4 Play is a group who work in game localization, and live in Japan, so they cover a lot more Japanese games.

I'd be interested in a podcast that focused more on PC gaming, but I don't know if I would have time to listen to another podcast. At least on normal weeks that I'm not binging on repetitive parts of games to earn achievements.
Oh idle thumbs and and 8-4 sound really interesting. Gonna listen to those

Li Kao

Splinter Cell Blacklist
Metro Last Light (The regular one, but I think the redux will be even more awesome)
these games are just gorgeous and excellent games imo

Yeahhh, I was indeed keeping Blacklist for such an occasion.
But about Metro, appart from the testing of a new card thing, is there any reason to play the old version instead of the redux ?

Oh and Dr Dogg, I lovedddd Sleeping Dogs but having 100% it not so long ago, I'm waiting to see if the new version brings something to the table. Sleeping Dogs at max setting must be something though...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Epic's history with PC gaming since the launch of the X360 has been so non-existent that I wouldn't be surprised if Fortnite and UT4 never came to Steam and instead they just existed within their own bubble. I'd like to make a crack about how it "discussed internally what to do with Bulletstorm" and then did nothing, however considering the game failed to turn a profit even five months after release, I can't exactly fault the decision to not spend any more money on it.

Turfster

One day for Ched keys now up for IR debut 13 bundle

Bundlebandits has a greenlight bundle I'm not even going to bother listing, since they can't be bothered to link to the greenlight pages... and some of them are incredibly iffy, like the one that's been re-greenlit like 10 times =p

Spent the last few hours trying GFWL on Windows 8 solutions and nothing is working. orz I hate GFWL and it should be dead already.

I'm having GFWL of Windows 8.1 issues as well. I'd love to find out how to get around Games For Windows Live log on for GTA liberty City stories. I launch the game from steam, log on to Rock Star Social Cub, log onto GFWL. At this point, GFWL says it needs an update. If I let it update, it just hangs and never finishes. I let it sit for an hour, it never gets past the first percent. If I skip the update, it say i have to play in off line more. Fine but when I do that, it comes up immediately and says I have to log in to play. I've tried deleting everything GFWL off my computer, reinstalling the separate uptodate GFWL client and that didn't help.

I'm almost thinking about hunting down a ps3 copy just to play it and finish it.

agniswarm

Banned
You need a shovel to dig in spots that are covered in rocks, the small shovel you get early on isn't enough for all spots. Pretty sure the game tells you that every time you try...

The spots were meant for the small shovel only I checked up walkthrough also..and after 5 6 tries could do it..then found out its a glitch
The game would have been good if they didnt use black and white contrast....

Epic's history with PC gaming since the launch of the X360 has been so non-existent that I wouldn't be surprised if Fortnite and UT4 never came to Steam and instead they just existed within their own bubble. I'd like to make a crack about how it "discussed internally what to do with Bulletstorm" and then did nothing, however considering the game failed to turn a profit even five months after release, I can't exactly fault the decision to not spend any more money on it.

Also EA is probably involved which makes things more difficult. However I wouldn't wash my hands of Epic yet. I'm still hoping for a surprise update of Bulletstorm.

JaseC

Also EA is probably involved which makes things more difficult. However I wouldn't wash my hands of Epic yet. I'm still hoping for a surprise update of Bulletstorm.

Epic owns the game, so EA doesn't get a say. It makes me wonder what EA would do if the game were updated with Steamworks: would it disappear from Origin or would EA swallow its pride just this once and sell Steam keys?

I expect this to be the case. They are building free games and expect to recoup the costs through marketplace commissions on sales of cosmetics/mods etc. They are almost assuredly building an e-commerce platform to go along with the games. One can still hope that they're not too shortsighted to ignore Steam, but, at least with UT, they have a property that will pull people (including me) away from Steam if required.

Epic owns the game, so EA doesn't get a say. It makes me wonder what EA would do if the game were updated with Steamworks: would it disappear from Origin or would EA swallow its pride just this once and sell Steam keys?

Remember, Valve is just as much at fault here. I could see them refusing to give Epic steam keys to an EA published game. There is nothing in The Sims 4 that violates Valves rules yet they are refusing it access on steam as well.

Turfster

Remember, Valve is just as much at fault here. I could see them refusing to give Epic steam keys to an EA published game. There is nothing in The Sims 4 that violates Valves rules yet they are refusing it access on steam as well.

I'm pretty sure EA want to milk the sims 4 for as much origin money as they can.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

I see you haven't considered multiple versions of the game.

JaseC

EA left Steam because Valve implemented a policy mandating that DLC released for future games must be available on Steam. I think said policy has since been taken out the back and shot, though, since there's a "DLCIsAvailableOnStore" flag these days and, really, once Greenlight goes and any budding developer/publisher can upload whatever they want whenever they want, it would be impossible to enforce.

AsfaeksBR

8UlP5kP.gif

I couldn't see VALVe refusing to sell a not-broken game. It's more than certain it's EA to blame

Echoplx

I'm having GFWL of Windows 8.1 issues as well. I'd love to find out how to get around Games For Windows Live log on for GTA liberty City stories. I launch the game from steam, log on to Rock Star Social Cub, log onto GFWL. At this point, GFWL says it needs an update. If I let it update, it just hangs and never finishes. I let it sit for an hour, it never gets past the first percent. If I skip the update, it say i have to play in off line more. Fine but when I do that, it comes up immediately and says I have to log in to play. I've tried deleting everything GFWL off my computer, reinstalling the separate uptodate GFWL client and that didn't help.

I'm almost thinking about hunting down a ps3 copy just to play it and finish it.

If you are only going to play the single player just grab xliveless and bypass gfwl completely.

Also, general question; would it be a problem to post a link to a certain "steam underground" community here? There is an updated version of xliveless there that works with every gfwl game and even let's you manually load DLC but it was initially created for illegal purposes so I'm not sure..

JaseC

I thought it's because of the bioware store point system.

Crysis 2 and Dragon Age 2 weren't affected by Valve's then-new DLC policy as it wasn't retroactive. They were pulled completely voluntarily to the prop up the then-nascent Origin.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

One Day for Ched -- MB-1979CF17A3723A23 - Taken by nja
this looks like poop tbqh

however considering the game failed to turn a profit even five months after release, I can't exactly fault the decision to not spend any more money on it.
*cough*GFWL*cough*
I would double dip on the PC version if they rip out GFWL
See?
Crysis 2 and Dragon Age 2 weren't affected by Valve's then-new DLC policy as it wasn't retroactive. They were pulled completely voluntarily to the prop up the then-nascent Origin.
LOL at EA thinking these two would make people jump ship.

Pachimari

Finally got my first headset. The Sennheiser 363D. I hope I'll get some great experiences with this one. But I wonder why the sounds can be heard from people who don't wear the headset, if it is because it's not isolated?

JustLynx

Yeahhh, I was indeed keeping Blacklist for such an occasion.
But about Metro, appart from the testing of a new card thing, is there any reason to play the old version instead of the redux ?

i think you should just play the Redux, it got all the DLCs in it, and even more stuff
the graphics are pretty much the same i think

Corpekata

Banned

Really? Because DA2 got pulled like the same week as the first DLC, and EA publicly spoke about the policies being a factor in the decision.

Turfster

Really? Because DA2 got pulled like the same week as the first DLC, and EA publicly spoke about the policies being a factor in the decision.

"Please come to our new store we started just because we want to have one of our own" sounds a lot less good than "waah mommy they were mean to us again!"

JaseC

What's going on with bulletstorm?

Nothing. :(

EA was lying through its teeth, knowing full well that Valve wouldn't come out and deny the claim:

It doesn't matter that the DLC launched after the DLC policy came into the effect; the games themselves released prior to it and so they're not affected by the change. I provided a case in point in my post but you've missed it so I'll reiterate here: EA pulled the games circa June 2011, and despite the hot air about Valve being the root cause, Dirt 3 has no DLC for sale via Steam even though virtually all of it released in June, July and August 2011.

Nabs

EA had an amazing run of bullshit between 2010-2012. They blamed everything on Valve. I bet they even blamed their bullshit Dragon Age 2 pre-pre-order missing Steam on Valve.

Lomax

If Steam does go open storefront, we'll almost certainly see EA have their own version that is almost directly integrated with Origin, because at that point Valve won't be able to stop it (and presumably won't care).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom