• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's 10% off of 20 dollars on the Paradox website. I got another 20% off with a coupon code at Green Man Gaming. At that price, given it's in my favorite genre and looks amazing, I was willing to take a risk.

Crap, I should've bought this instead of FFXIII... I only have myself to blame for this. Sigh, well, guess I can sacrifice some credit card resources to get it. At least I know it won't be sitting in my backlog.

What I would give for another Mech Commander, another Ground Control, more Speesh Maureens DoW or just stuff pushing the RTS boundaries.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
header_292x136.jpg

Sid Meier's Pirates is also on sale at GMG, so you can buy with credit or use the 15% code QRJ1I6-2SSDU0-LN9UUG which doesn't have a minimum and get it for $2.12.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/strategy/sid-meiers-pirates/

Damn thats a good deal. I bought it for $10 long ago and love the game. But then I played the hell out of the C64 version too so it's a huge nostalgia trip for me.

Oh, well I redeemed the key but now original Magicka's gone from my game library - I also tried and reboot Steam, but to no avail -, along with three DLCs.

I have found eventually Magicka had ended up on the top, as my only favourite game, I guess there must have been a glitch that was triggered when Magicka: wizard wars was added to my games library.

By the way, for those interested, there's another giveaway at Alienware, also in this case it is some DLC robes for Magicka: wizard wars
http://www.alienwarearena.com/giveaways/magicka-wizard-wars-alienware-robe-key-giveaway

FloatOn

SteamGAF's taste in women is questionable at best so I thought nobody would understand and kept quiet. Though I'm getting some.... vibes.
Gone Home
vibes. If you know what I mean, not sure where that story is going.

I own that game but I haven't played it yet. I think I catch your meaning though.

I think I'll buy Roundabout sooner rather than later now. These are the depths I've sunk to. I think I'm on the cusp of understanding the waifu phenomenon.

I'll take it, along with the PS1 version of Chrono Trigger. People that haven't played them won't mind the extra loading bits because the rest of them is filled with awesome.

Call me an old purist, but I found the FMV cut scenes to be pretty jarring against the Super Nintendo graphics of the game. However, I'd rather people play a version of the game than none at all. Same for Chrono Trigger.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
No problem. What I'll never understand is that back in the mid to late 1990s artists were paid to produce this kind of work which was then digitized and put into a PS1 game at 640x480 resolution.

I know it would be massively expensive (just like it used to be) to replicate this process using modern techniques, but it's not like it's completely outside the realm of possibility. You have the game's story and basic elements, it just needs a "fresh coat of paint" so to speak. There are a lot of artists I know that would probably donate their time to work on a project like that as a labor of love.

So why the fuck don't we have a modern re-imaging of these classics?
Was it even 640x480? Many games back then were lower than that, I'm pretty sure both FFVII and VIII were 320x240 or some other odd one.
Also looking at REmake HD seems like we'd get some filtering at most instead of proper rerendering or remaking of the backgrounds :(

Zalusithix

Manual repost at the hour mark since I forgot to set autopost.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Zalusithix, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Wasteland 2 -- MB-9077CEC5058A0503 - Taken by CheesecakeRecipe. 81 entrants total.

t1411160190z1.png

Arthea

To Ozium dedicated

Anyway, screw that, I won't be lazy and will write big ass post about very fun way to play Civ.

First make master plan, as detailed as you want, for example you want Zulu to get to space first, on the way to that, you want to conquer US, Russia an China. Already sounds fun, no? (><)
Then check Zulu bonuses (military they are for an early game), and more or less make timeline to yourself, when to do what, keep in mind that your neighboring countries can be not what you want or expect.
Then try to achieve that keikaku, even of you fail miserably, having "vision" really helps to get most of the game.
Another way is to play random games, check what you are given and then advise plan, then follow it.
Well, it's not that big ass, because I'm too lazy after all. (._.)

Nah, I look significantly less sexy currently
Haha, but for real. Hope everything went well. What was the reason, if you don't mind?
---
Alright!
http://i.minus.com/jbgDTYINMKDCv6.png
The game is about Waifus you can choose from, also other gameplay elements.
Roughly 30 minutes left, get to it, boys n girls.
Shouldn't have asked. Now everyone's gonna enter :3
Btw, I really didn't know there is a dating-sim aspect to this. Somehow Durante didn't focus on that aspect as much as you... I wonder why :p

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Was it even 640x480? Many games back then were lower than that, I'm pretty sure both FFVII and VIII were 320x240 or some other odd one.
Also looking at REmake HD seems like we'd get some filtering at most instead of proper rerendering or remaking of the backgrounds :(

Good point, I was overgeneralizing about the maximum available output resolution of a PS1.

Turns out that all three PS1 era Final Fantasy games were rendered in 320 x 224.

Ryne

What a surprise, getting FF13 that quickly on steam, and for a good price.

For what it's worth, I liked the first better than the second, which I never really put that much time into. I haven't bought the finale yet however.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, but for real. Hope everything went well. What was the reason, if you don't mind?
---

Btw, I really didn't know there is a dating-sim aspect to this. Somehow Durante didn't focus on that aspect as much as you... I wonder why :p

Its more about forging political alliances and support among the factions than "mai waifu".

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Kurt Russell, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 13 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kurt Russell, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Cold War -- MB-B65E2924DA005E92 - Taken by Haunted. 3 entrants total.
Sweet Lily Dreams -- MB-CAD09F41B932C53D - Taken by Aitor. 1 entrants total.
Ether Vapor Remaster -- MB-D9FA811AC728C66D - Taken by awwyeahgurrl. 2 entrants total.
Rock of Ages -- MB-9289EC0AD7619481 - Taken by Danielsan. 3 entrants total.
Syberia II -- MB-27725E6219BEF3A8 - Taken by Axass. 3 entrants total.
Vanguard Princess -- MB-E98A2A1C9AD70A20 - Taken by swx. 2 entrants total.
Jets'n'Guns Gold -- MB-D282EFF5217B6897 - Taken by Purkake4. 5 entrants total.
The Chaos Engine -- MB-4319A82E8C861BCF - Taken by pupo. 3 entrants total.
Zack Zero -- MB-D4F1271C9F3D8EDA - Taken by agniswarm. 1 entrants total.
Lifeless Planet -- MB-03E6886C02C9A09B - Taken by S1n1st3r. 10 entrants total.
Windforge -- MB-86E76C5E5EA793E2 - Taken by bkw. 2 entrants total.
Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves -- MB-2082F607521E401D - Taken by KingDirk. 2 entrants total.
Fester Mudd: Curse of the Gold -- MB-2E908AFD0659C9C9 - Taken by Krystof Koreni. 1 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Windforge was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1411161690z1.png

milena87

I noticed that I have another extra key, enjoy :)

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (milena87, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last month, you are not eligible for this giveaway.

t1cxE6r.gif
Wasteland 2 -- MB-13DA0CEB996A8041 - Taken by Asgaro. 47 entrants total.

t1411168893z1.png

Ozium

it really depends on your playstyle, there are better suited civs if you gonna expand, others if conquer, yet others if you are all for science, or peace, etc.
As I said, it doesn't work like that, Civ is rather complex, just read bonuses before choosing, if you are not sure how you want to proceed, choose any and try to make most of its bonuses.

bruh I played civ 1 and 2 I know what im getting into.. I dont know how much more complex it is than 2 though.. 3 was poop

edit: zulus in space?

i like it.

I'll take it, along with the PS1 version of Chrono Trigger. People that haven't played the originals won't mind the extra loading bits because the rest of them is filled with awesome.

Why deal with the shitty ps1 load times when you can play the definitive DS version and just ignore the piss poor side quests they added.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Ps2 was 640x480, right?

The PS1 was capable of 640x480 but only a few games took advantage of it. When the PS2 was released, 640x480 was more or less the "standard" resolution.

Tellaerin

This is sad.

I don't have a lot of cash coming in right now and I really need to watch my spending. I know that if I pick up FF XIII at launch, it'll probably sit in my backlog for months before I get around to playing it. If I wait, it'll end up going on sale sooner rather than later. I know this. There's also the Winter Seal to think about.

So why am I sitting here idling cards and thinking things like, "If I can bring down the price to $5 with card money, that's not so bad, right?" and "If there's a lot of day one sales, Square will see there's a demand for stuff like this on PC, so maybe I ought to do it to show support"?

I have a problem, don't I? : (

Ozium

This is sad.

I don't have a lot of cash coming in right now and I really need to watch my spending. I know that if I pick up FF XIII at launch, it'll probably sit in my backlog for months before I get around to playing it. If I wait, it'll end up going on sale sooner rather than later. I know this. There's also the Winter Seal to think about.

So why am I sitting here idling cards and thinking things like, "If I can bring down the price to $5 with card money, that's not so bad, right?" and "If there's a lot of day one sales, Square will see there's a demand for stuff like this on PC, so maybe I ought to do it to show support"?

Do it for Light

Nzyme32

Cheers. It's a combination of pilonidal sinus and Crohn's disease abcesses, which is basically a load of tissue and intestines being pierced by tunnels of puss and infected gunk. The surgery was almost trival but recover will take 3 months, and I've had to miss a bunch of running events that I trained all year for and roped others into, so that sucks. Hopefully back on my feet for next year

This is sad.

It's okay. You're among enablers friends.

iosefe

This is sad.

yes you do.

i'm sure it's justifiable to wait, i feel total sales of all 3 will be more telling. the first one has done it's sales. it's XIII-2 and LR that really need the PC boost

also, Aces Wild is kicking my ass. thanks gosh darn shiba

Miguel81

Why deal with the shitty ps1 load times when you can play the definitive DS version and just ignore the piss poor side quests they added.

I've never played that version(only own Final Fantasy Chronicles atm). Is the soundtrack of the same quality as the SNES?

Holy shit Chariot, thanks so much. I'm getting off work early to install and play this tonight. I love boobs and glasses, cheers! I might just figure out how to work screenshots.

MadGear

Man, playing Skyrim on Legendary is though. Even when I'm extra cautious there is always that one archer that finishes me with one sloppy aimed arrow (playing as a destruction mage, 0 armor rating). With Lydia as my tank it almost feels like we switched places with me being her follower not able to do shit without her xD

But oh well, I'll most likely drop the difficulty. If i keep making progress at that speed I'm never going to finish this game at all :)

StAidan

My activity feed is full of pirate games. Good job, everyone. My introduction to Monkey Island was the Steam re-release. Still haven't played the sequel, though.

ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Five Nights at Freddy's -- MB-0A4C7D98BED52806 - Taken by JustinBB7. 7 entrants total.

t1411159891z1.png

Cheers. It's a combination of pilonidal sinus and Crohn's disease abcesses, which is basically a load of tissue and intestines being pierced by tunnels of puss and infected gunk. The surgery was almost trival but recover will take 3 months, and I've had to miss a bunch of running events that I trained all year for and roped others into, so that sucks. Hopefully back on my feet for next year
That sounds rough. You're off the tracks for so long? Damn. Is that "wound" so deep or what's the reason? Anyway, get well soon, man.
--
Its more about forging political alliances and support among the factions than "mai waifu".
That makes more sense and fits with what I saw from the tone of the game.

Bungie could've released Destiny as an Oni HD Remaster and Bungie/Halo fanboys would've ate that shit right out of their hands and said "please sir, may i have more?" Not really surprised, tbh.

I think this is a somewhat disingenuous and pejorative dismissal. Destiny does have its fair share of flaws and questionable design decisions but the core gameplay--the gunplay and moment to moment combat design--does have some merit. For my money I'd say Destiny is kind of in a similar position to Diablo 3 vanilla. With some serious iterating and substantive patches Destiny could be made into a better gameplay experience just like Diablo 3 was with Loot 2.0. But much like Diablo 3 I don't think there's any saving the narrative experience.

louiedog

I've been feeling an intense longing for more Puzzle Agent lately. I just played through the first 30 minutes of the first episode of Jacob Jones and the Bigfoot Mystery and it's satisfying my craving quite well. I really, really like the style and setting.

This post could also be filed under, "When in the hell are we getting Professor Layton on PC?"

Annubis

Man, playing Skyrim on Legendary is though. Even when I'm extra cautious there is always that one archer that finishes me with one sloppy aimed arrow (playing as a destruction mage, 0 armor rating). With Lydia as my tank it almost feels like we switched places with me being her follower not able to do shit without her xD

But oh well, I'll most likely drop the difficulty. If i keep making progress at that speed I'm never going to finish this game at all :)

Anyone that wants to play as a mage pretty much needs to download mods to not be completely gimped.

Chariot

igMI8R59seTdl.gif

Holy shit Chariot, thanks so much. I'm getting off work early to install and play this tonight. I love boobs and glasses, cheers! I might just figure out how to work screenshots.
Congratulations! :D

Just push F12 in Steam to make Screenshots, show us a picture of your bride.
I hope you have a lot of fun :)

RS4-

ModBot said:
Instructions for RS4-:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (RS4-, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

receiver -- MB-EF605568F66DF7CA

t1411160371z1.png

Hopefully that works for anyone that missed out on it a few days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom