• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales Thread: remember: you can actually play after buying

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAT

KaiserBecks said:
A last minute reminder:

Jagged Alliance 2 is still available for 5 bucks. The "Gold Edition" includes Jagged Alliance 2 and the stand alone add-on "Unfinished Business". Runs fine on Windows 7 64bit, the 1.13 fan-patch works perfectly with the steam version.

If you like strategy and/or rpg games, there is absolutely no reason not to get this game.
+1

Jagged Alliance 2 is AMAZING! Probably my most underrated game of all time.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Is the download speed affected by popularity? Just Cause 2 and Hitman Blood Money exceeded my typical speed, but Freedom Force barely goes double digits.

PS: I tried switching regions, nothing changed.

KaiserBecks said:
A last minute reminder:

Jagged Alliance 2 is still available for 5 bucks. The "Gold Edition" includes Jagged Alliance 2 and the stand alone add-on "Unfinished Business". Runs fine on Windows 7 64bit, the 1.13 fan-patch works perfectly with the steam version.

If you like strategy and/or rpg games, there is absolutely no reason not to get this game.

+2.

Jagged Alliance 2 > The XCom series (similiar gameplay).

svegis

Ookami-kun said:
Is the download speed affected by popularity? Just Cause 2 and Hitman Blood Money exceeded my typical speed, but Freedom Force barely goes double digits.

PS: I tried switching regions, nothing changed.

I'd venture to say that this is because JC2, Blood Money and other "high profile titles" are in higher demand, so they're on more content servers and/or many people have downloaded JC2 in your region(or the servers you switched to) before and Valve has seen the interest for it.

Interfectum

DoctorWho said:
This game is crazy!

Do we have an official thread for mods? It would be nice to see some of the best mods for games featured in one thread.

The game looks so good with all the settings cranked to the highest. I love just going to a nearby beach and looking at the water. Makes me want to take a tropical vacation asap.

Nalsh

Going along with what everyone above said, if you are looking for one more game in this sale please let it be Just Cause 2. I spent $8 at Jimmy Johns yesterday. Do yourself the favor of spending $5 on this awesome game.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
svegis said:
I'd venture to say that this is because JC2, Blood Money and other "high profile titles" are in higher demand, so they're on more content servers and/or many people have downloaded JC2 in your region(or the servers you switched to) before and Valve has seen the interest for it.

I guess so. Oh well.

PBalfredo

slidewinder said:
No, it (Dogfighter) doesn't. Might be ten actual people playing during a particularly active time.
Well damn. That's disappointing. I guess that's what I get for waiting on it for so long.

I might grab some of the Fallout NV DLC instead. How is Honest Hearts? Worth it?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Out of curiosity, is there any way to change the grid icons for non-steam games added to the library? My collection would look nicer if it wasn't plagued with tiny icons in large rectangles when I switched to grid mode.

GuardianE said:
Out of curiosity, is there any way to change the grid icons for non-steam games added to the library? My collection would look nicer if it wasn't plagued with tiny icons in large rectangles when I switched to grid mode.

I hate this shit.

HATE IT

Is devil may cry 4 now full price? Like an idiot I missed out on it during the daily deal and I just now bought a 360 pc controller so I really want to get it...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Just bought Sanctum. I wanted it, then not, then just said screw it and got it. Co op pushed me over the edge and it obviously really cheap.

Everyone must buy Just Cause 2.

If you get these mods:

- increased grapple distance
- Superman mod
- fully unlocked black market
- super rocket launchers
- triggered bombs

... it becomes one of the most fun games ever made.

Remember how fun San Andreas was? This is more fun. And it's only $5.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
MRORANGE said:
Rush?

oh and:
52h5t.png

it's the 12th most popular gaming thread, wooh! PC/STEAM GAF!!!
pc gaming is still dead
Its a bit of a good thing the sale is already over, or else we would have to make an OT 2 for the sale.

Just cashed in my last few tickets, didn't get to many all in all, just 15. Here is the DLC I got in order.

TF2 Sunglasses
Spacechem DLC
Alien Breed 2
Defense Grid DLC
Serious Sam DLC (Should be playing the entire game co op with some friends in a few days, so I figured they would get some use pretty soon)

What prizes did all of you get?

LiquidMetal14

Don't forget the bolo patch AND 2km rope mod. And if you want to use the bolo patch you need the modified exe on the steam forums. Just search as I don't have url handy.

Red

MRORANGE said:
Rush?

oh and:
52h5t.png

it's the 12th most popular gaming thread, wooh! PC/STEAM GAF!!!
pc gaming is still dead
Yes, we are all pirates etc etc

Just silly and perplexing when people use anti-PC rhetoric when the proof is right here.

JudgeN

ShockingAlberto said:
Eugh, I think that might be my problem.

Radeon 4890 here. :|

Its the shadows thats kills ATI performance, think I had to set them to low to get a good FPS on my 5850 (when I had a 5850).

Only picked up exactly what I was waiting for:

Mass Effect Pack - $19.99

Now I'm thinking I should have jumped on other sales... This was my first "active" Steam Summer sale (built my gaming PC last August), so I think I showed some restraint.

LiquidMetal14

I'm gonna save some of you time and if you want to use the bolo patch on the Steam version you need this exe here

LiquidMetal14 said:
But it does!

Backup your Steam EXE and just replace it with this one HERE

I can confirm that it works!

Playing now.

JDS 1977

Banned
KrayzeeGloo said:
Well, this sale was definitely good to me! Haul includes:

Gumboy Tournament - $0.74 (Gift)

Definitely got a LOT more than I was expecting. Thanks to all of you who gifted me some things, really helped out a lot!

Except for you, JDS. Now I have an urge to actually try and beat Gumboy Tournament just to justify your purchase. >:

Ha Ha! I'm sure it will be a blast.

gdt

I'm just looking for a working grapple length increase mod. The one posted a few posts up apparently has a lot of bugs going by the comments.

Hmm, might just get the Bolo mod.

LiquidMetal14

gdt5016 said:
I'm just looking for a working grapple length increase mod. The one posted a few posts up apparently has a lot of bugs going by the comments.
Use this one and never go back. Like I said, the infinite one has all broken links and you really don't need that kind of range.

As was said in the comments, you have to tinker with it for it to work. I want instant satisfaction and the 2km mod is more than enough.

Enco

gdt5016 said:
It works fine.

The only glitch is that sometimes an old grapple hook doesn't go straight away and it looks like you have two. Not a major issue though.

From the official Just Cause 2 thread:
Enco said:
As I said in another thread, this game is amazing.

The engine is stunning. The whole game is not even 5GB. There are huge variations in scenery and there are lots of communities and many different NPCs. You get a huge beautiful world to do as you please in. Hopefully the next GTA is a mix between the freedom of JC2 and the extremeness of SR2. Having said that, JC2 is also pretty over the top. It makes you feel like a badass.

Just finished the main missions yesterday (also done plenty of side missions) and I'm only at 22%.

I recommend downloading this triggered explosions mod and using the Air Explosion. Much better than the normal one and it isn't too overpowered/underpowered.

I also downloaded the less psychic police, no black market cutscenes and longer grappling hook. The longer grappling hook is kinda glitchy (sometimes you get two temporary hooks with one being useless) but it's well worth it. It also makes it more powerful which is pretty awesome. Oh and I also got HD clouds.

I love how easy it is to install mods and how you can easily remove them.

JDS 1977

Banned
Caerith said:
*adds both TLJ bundle and Syberia bundle to cart*

I feel like I'm forgetting something, something more important than these... Guess I'll wait until 9:55 to pull the trigger in case I remember.

Get the Still Life games.

--Considering the Paradox pack. Although I'm not interested in the elven games.. Buuut.. I have Majesty Gold on disc. And Majesty 2 vanilla on d2d.

Maybe I'm better off buying something I don't sort of have already.

BigAT

Is there any online component to Just Cause 2 or is it purely a single player affair?

Also, is any of the DLC worth picking up? I kind of hate the idea of paying for what amounts to just a single in-game item.

I posted these impressions in the Bloodlines thread. I am loving this game and it is only on sale for a few more hours. If you are thinking about it, bite.

BravesCountry said:
So I said I would post my impressions after I played bloodlines, and lo and behold I am absolutely floored by this wonderful game. I am only a few hours in and I am already completely enthralled in this world. The characters, the atmosphere, and especially the voice acting and script are incredible. I was stunned by the script, rarely are video games this well written. The only knock so far is the combat, but I think I am getting used to it. I haven't been this into a game in years, and it easily takes precedence over the other games I ordered during the sale, which pretty impressive considering that list consists of darksiders, borderlands, just cause 2, Fallout NV, etc. If anyone is on the fence about getting this game, I highly suggest it if you have even the slightest interest in rpgs.

LiquidMetal14

Enco said:
It works fine.

The only glitch is that sometimes an old grapple hook doesn't go straight away and it looks like you have two. Not a major issue though.

I tried the speed one but it doesn't seem to go as long as the 2km. Mind you, you are already going very fast by grappling everywhere so the extra speed isn't necessary. I've tried that mod and it wasn't as good as the 2km. The clouds and stuff though, I will def apply those.

JDS 1977

Banned
Callibretto said:
can I play Longest Journey windowed, or at least correct the aspect ratio when playing it in fullscreen?

I think you need to run it in a 4:3 mode. I forget if it has higher 4:3 modes than it's standard.

gdt

Enco said:
It works fine.

So, I just make a dropzone folder and drop the mod file in there?

LiquidMetal14

gdt5016 said:
So, I just make a dropzone folder and drop the mod file in there?
Yes but as I said, the increase speed grapple is not as good as the 2km one in my opinion. It just doesn't reach as far and you already go fast enough. Installing the clouds now.

Amneisac

BravesCountry said:
I posted these impressions in the Bloodlines thread. I am loving this game and it is only on sale for a few more hours. If you are thinking about it, bite.

I bought it, and I'll have you know that $13.39USD is a great sum of money and I will be holding you personally responsible if I don't enjoy this game. Be ready for my angry PM in about 14 months when I actually start playing it.

Amneisac said:
I bought it, and I'll have you know that $13.39USD is a great sum of money and I will be holding you personally responsible if I don't enjoy this game. Be ready for my angry PM in about 14 months when I actually start playing it.

Haha I am pretty confident that the PM in 14 months will be nothing but positive. I suggest playing it now though.

LiquidMetal14

The clouds look better but I can't really remember how much better since it's such a detail that is really not that important but here are 3 quick random shots.....

justcause22011-07-1110mkuk.png

justcause22011-07-1110hm1y.png

justcause22011-07-1110qj6n.png

The best part is that these don't really affect performance. I would say that it doesn't affect things at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom