• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales Thread: remember: you can actually play after buying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enco

LiquidMetal14 said:
I tried the speed one but it doesn't seem to go as long as the 2km. Mind you, you are already going very fast by grappling everywhere so the extra speed isn't necessary. I've tried that mod and it wasn't as good as the 2km. The clouds and stuff though, I will def apply those.
It doesn't seem much faster to me. I thought it was the same as the 2km haha. They're all the same anyway.

Personally I wouldn't recommend the make everything free black market mod. Kinda makes the money you get useless.

Arnie

Is anyone having issues with Steam? My internet is working without a hitch but steam keeps stalling my download. It says downloading but there isn't a speed next to it, and then every now and then a speed will appear, shoot up to about 1mb/s and then plummet back down to nothing again. It's so infuriating.

Nalsh

BigAT said:
Is there any online component to Just Cause 2 or is it purely a single player affair?

Also, is any of the DLC worth picking up? I kind of hate the idea of paying for what amounts to just a single in-game item.

I don't believe so and I don't believe so.

If you're worried about a lack of content because it's SP only, don't. It's a massive world with so much to do.

Baby Milo

bought Just cause 2 and GTA4 complete

im sort of wavering on frozen synapse.just not sure if im gonna enjoy it from youtube videos ive watched.

I just have to add my voice to the chorus recommending JUST CAUSE 2. I'm playing it at 1080p, 60fps, and it is gorgeos. The scale of the world is incredible. The world is huge and well-populated. The variety of environments is huge -- GTA-esque cities, beaches, jungles, snowy mountains. It is incredible to fight a mission on the ground, finish by grappling to an aircraft, knocking out the pilot, then seamlessly flying to the top of the world, seeing your mission location as a tiny spot on the ground. Then you can zip to the other side of the continent to a completely different environment, no loading, just amazing. If the environments were more destructible, it would be incredible. My only gripe might be the seeming scarcity of weapons and ammo near the beginning, but I think I just need to be seeking out more missions. Also, the grapple can be a pretty decent offensive weapon all by itself...

BUY THIS GAME

Gvaz

Banned
Darklord said:
How does Assassin's Creed 2 play with a M/KB? Also, does it need an internet connection to steam EVERYTIME you play it?
Trying to do ass creed 2 with a keyboard makes me want to kill someone.

With a controller:

appropriate buttons are listed on the gui

with a keyboard:

visual representation of what the keys are supposed to do are listed on the gui, but if you want to find out what key goes with what, you have to look up the keys in the options. I had to go back and check "what was this key again?" about four or five times before I wrote off the kb/m for AssCreed2 because the designers were so fucking stupid.

Some of the keys are not in a place you'd think they'd be either.

Ledsen

Baby Milo said:
bought Just cause 2 and GTA4 complete

im sort of wavering on frozen synapse.just not sure if im gonna enjoy it from youtube videos ive watched.
Videos don't convey the experience at all. Just buy it.

gdt

I think I'm doing something wrong, the grapple length isn't changed at all, and the clouds still look like normal.

Do I put make the dropzone folder in the steamapps JC2 folder?

Artofwar420

I did my best, thanks everybody. Now to wait and see if I get the big prize.

1837928-steam_summer_tickets.png

Gvaz

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
I probably have better HW but I have everything maxed and I'm at a perfect 60fps. It's really funny how some can run a game like Crysis 2 well but a game which looks less visually pleasing and technical gives issues.
Yes it's called "being a console port". If it was designed for the PC first then toned down for consoles no one would have these issues.

Drkirby said:
Yeah, but PC gaming is dead.

It really isn't. PC gaming is still very profitable.

Sanic

We've had many posts on this, but we need one more:

You have two hours left, please consider buying Just Cause 2. It's a fantastic game at a great price, and it's a good port.

DTLIONS1013 said:
It all depends on what games you have

Uhh, yeah. Probably a vital detail.

My choices are 4 of

DoW2 Retribution
Monday Night Combat
Spacechem
Killing Floor
Magicka
Beat Hazard
TF2

I bought the DoW2 one. Spacechem one looks like it adds a bit of content. Not sure, really.

Enco

Not only is it a massive world but the variety is great. Snowy mountains, nice shorelines, jungles and large cities. All with their own community. You also have plenty of nice weather effects and a large variety of NPCs.

Here are some shots I just took:

DzM9R.jpg

I'm sure I could've taken better ones but you can just explore yourself. Sorry about the quality.

Nalsh

Gvaz said:
100 people (out of 4~ million) are winning the first ten games on their wishlist.

Note that you need to have at least 10 games on your wishlist to qualify, so the odds are likely better than 100/4000000.

Just Cause 2 looks really nice, but it seems like the only thing to do in it is wrecking havoc. I get the impression that the story sucks, the missions sucks, and that there aren´t anything worthwhile to do outside the missions.

Nalsh

CecilRousso said:
Just Cause 2 looks really nice, but it seems like the only thing to do in it is wrecking havoc. I get the impression that the story sucks, the missions sucks, and that there aren´t anything worthwhile to do outside the missions.

A) True
B) False

toasty_T said:
Uhh, yeah. Probably a vital detail.

My choices are 4 of

DoW2 Retribution
Monday Night Combat
Spacechem
Killing Floor
Magicka
Beat Hazard
TF2

I bought the DoW2 one. Spacechem one looks like it adds a bit of content. Not sure, really.

KF: 4 steampunk characters, purely cosmetic. You can buy it later if you want, looks like it's included in the KF complete pack so you might already have it. Pics: http://store.steampowered.com/app/35425/
Magicka: it's a VS (PvP) map, I'm not too enthusiastic about it. You need it to complete and achievement though.
Beat Hazard: useful to distinguish your ship from the rest.
TF2: also purely cosmetic. Pics: http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Summer_Shades

Double D

I bought Just Cause 2 a while ago, played it for a couple days, and got distracted. This sale inspired me to fire it up again, and wow I forgot how awesome it is. I just went ahead and bought all the DLC for $2.23, so hopefully there is something there worthwhile.

Anyways, Can anyone give me a refresher on a couple things I've forgotten since I last played?

- Do I have my own hideout? (if so how do I find it?)
- If not, is there a place other than dead dudes, the black market, and random crates to acquire weapons and ammo?
- If I buy something from the black market, is it a one time purchase deal or do I have to keep spending that money every time I want another Assault Rifle?

Any other tips you guys have would also be helpful. Like stupid stuff you'd forget if you stopped playing for a while. Thanks

Gvaz

Banned
Vik_Vaughn said:
- Do I have my own hideout? (if so how do I find it?)
- If not, is there a place other than dead dudes, the black market, and random crates to acquire weapons and ammo?
- If I buy something from the black market, is it a one time purchase deal or do I have to keep spending that money every time I want another Assault Rifle?

Any other tips you guys have would also be helpful. Like stupid stuff you'd forget if you stopped playing for a while. Thanks

1. no, you can capture strongholds though which are safe zones. not what you're looking for however.
2. no
3. one time purchase. don't worry about running out of money if you blow everything up you see and you do sidequests.

Talyn

OmegaDragon said:
KF: 4 steampunk characters, purely cosmetic. You can buy it later if you want, looks like it's included in the KF complete pack so you might already have it. Pics: http://store.steampowered.com/app/35425/
Magicka: it's a VS (PvP) map, I'm not too enthusiastic about it. You need it to complete and achievement though.
Beat Hazard: useful to distinguish your ship from the rest.
TF2: also purely cosmetic.
To add to this, the Monday Night Combat prize is just some summer themed skins (which may be exclusive to this event, not sure) and Spacechem's prize does add a new set of puzzles.

Quite tempted by Just Cause 2 as I'm looking for last minute purchases before the sales end. Does the game offer any co-op mode though? Like story campaign or free roam? I'm not interested in SP at all, won't touch it so co-op is a deal maker for me.

plc268

Artofwar420 said:
I did my best, thanks everybody. Now to wait and see if I get the big prize.

[/IMG]

I got 43. There's a couple of more achievements that are easily attainable, but that would require me installing those games. I unlocked everything I wanted, so I'm happy.

Sye d'Burns

BlindCommunication said:
Quite tempted by Just Cause 2 as I'm looking for last minute purchases before the sales end. Does the game offer any co-op mode though? Like story campaign or free roam? I'm not interested in SP at all, won't touch it so co-op is a deal maker for me.

No co-op, SP only

I bought the Magicka complete pack, how do I access the Vietnam DLC? Do I have to beat the campaign? I haven't finished the tutorial, got through the dungeon but quit in the classroom after it.

mclem

toasty_T said:
Which of the ticket rewards are worth getting? I have 12 tickets.

Which of the games do you actually have?

I went into choosing with the intent that there was one must-have item - the SpaceChem DLC - and the Portal 2 and TF2 cosmetic items would be nice as well. Also, Alien Breed worked as it was a standalone game. After that I just kept picking and choosing from games I had.

Also, the 4 million figure is way off. Better to go with how many joined the Summer Camp Steam Group since it was the first easy ticket. That is little over 500,000. So with a 100 winners, you have a 1/5000 chance or 0.02%. Still better than the lottery.

ElyrionX

Having played JC2 on the 360, I would recommend people pick it up since it's so damn cheap on Steam anyway. At full price, I'd advise people to stay away but you can't go wrong for 5 bucks. It's a decent game, not great by any measure, but still fun enough to dick around for several hours before you get bored.

Damn, a lot of you have so many tickets. I only have 12 (which is due to the fact that I'm constrained to a Mac). :(

I wonder how many other people have as many tickets as the crazies here.

Mr_Zombie said:
Steam is cheating! I have the Sunburn achievement yet I haven't got the ticket for it :(
I actually had a similar problem, but that was because my Cloud data hadn't synced with the Steam servers yet.

Talyn

BlindCommunication said:
Ah shame, thanks for the reply anyway. Don't understand why they still release that kind of sandbox games without proper co-op features nowadays. Such a wasted opportunity :/
Have you tried Saint's Row 2? Terrible port to be sure but with the Gentlemen of the Row super mod you can do a lot of crazy shit in co-op mode. (Although I wouldn't pay more than $5 for it which is half of what it's currently on "sale" for on Steam.)

Gvaz

Banned
BlindCommunication said:
You can free roam all you want in an enormous enviroment but MP has never been a needed or included component in the just cause series.

BlindCommunication said:
Ah shame, thanks for the reply anyway. Don't understand why they still release that kind of sandbox games without proper co-op features nowadays. Such a wasted opportunity :/

Idk about anyone else but I think an open environment (400 square miles!!) with more than one person would be weird and hard to make.

The damage for the whole sale:
- King's Bounty Platinum
- Might and Magic Complete thang
- Beat Hazard Complete
- Civ V...via Gamersgate
- The Path
- Vampire: The Masquerade-Bloodlines
- Jamestown
- Company of Heroes Complete (already owned two of the expansion packs but I figured getting the whole shebang on Steam would be worth the price)

not too shabby! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom