• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Steam] Zestiria tier 3 PO reward has unlocked (100%), PO now to get free Symphonia

I'm surprised no one is upset/brought up Deus Ex in this thread. Different audiences I guess?
These have been going on for a good while now and a free game is one hell of a pre order incentive. I still don't understand what was the big deal with the Deus Ex pre order campaign, to be honest. I guess console gamers just have had enough with pre order shenanigans.

I'm surprised no one is upset/brought up Deus Ex in this thread. Different audiences I guess?

Getting a $20 game for free and not having to miss out on bonuses sight unseen no matter what I choose? Yeah. Completely fucking same right there.

I still don't understand what was the big deal with the Deus Ex pre order campaign, to be honest.

Because no matter what you chose you still lost something. It's a really shitty thing to get people to choose what they lose.

Durante

Well that was quick. I always expected it to be reached, but I thought it would be in the final push on the day before release, not more than one week out!

Fularu

Banned
And the gamecube version is the base for the HD version and that is 60.

It confirms nothing. I don't care about discussions on framerate, but at least wait until a proper confirmation to jump on Bamco's throat.

No, the PS2 version (which was 30 fps) was the base for the HD port, which is the base for the PC port. Chances the game remains at 30 fps are prety high

kewlmyc

Hell yeah, a free copy of a game I own two copies of. :p

Just messing, I'm glad it made it. Had me worried for a bit. Hopefully this sells well so we can get future or even previous Tales games on PC. Would love if Berseria got a day-in-day PC release without a framerate lock.

Just messing, I'm glad it made it. Had me worried for a bit. Hopefully this sells well so we can get future or even previous Tales games on PC. Would love if Berseria got a day-in-day PC release without a framerate lock.

Depending of the sales of Zestiria, it will likely do. Well, Zestiria kinda do, if for 3 days. But I wouldnt be surprised if Berseria gets a PC release in west.

Stuart444

Well it being on the top sellers list and reaching the pre-order targets can only be good things.

Fingers crossed. :D

Momentary

Banned
Well that was quick. I always expected it to be reached, but I thought it would be in the final push on the day before release, not more than one week out!

AND it's at the topsellers list in the number 2 position a week out. This bodes well for some future tales games.

Well, Berseria is already 60fps. If it's locked at 60 I will be more than happy. If they allow it to run at 120/144, then I'll be amazed.

Flarin

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but why are people okay with this and furious about Deus Ex? It seems like literally the same thing.

Hektor

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but why are people okay with this and furious about Deus Ex? It seems like literally the same thing.

How is it not?

The preorder bonuses don't included getting the game 4 days early and having to pick which bonuses you want. Also preorder tiers have been around as early as RE6's PC release (maybe even earlier), so I guess we're used to it by now.

Corpekata

Banned
I think you people saying it's similar to the Deus Ex thing need to explain exactly what you mean, because it's kind of baffling.

Stuart444

From what was already posted in this thread (I never kept up to date with it (Deux Ex) so I'm just taking what was posted here):

Deux Ex allowed early access to the game as a bonus and you can to pick what bonuses you got (and thus what bonuses you lose) while this you get everything, no picking and choosing.

Labadal

I am very interested to see how this does on Steam. Symphonia, not so much, because it will come for free with Zestiria pre-orders.

Flarin

I think you people saying it's similar to the Deus Ex thing need to explain exactly what you mean, because it's kind of baffling.

More pre-orders = more pre-order items. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what people were upset about with Deus Ex, but that seemed like the crux of it to me.

Edit:
Deux Ex allowed early access to the game as a bonus and you can to pick what bonuses you got (and thus what bonuses you lose) while this you get everything, no picking and choosing.

Ah okay that makes more sense. Thanks. I remember Bamco did what they're doing with Tales for the Ni no Kuni CE and no one seemed to bat an eye. The Deus Ex thing confused me but I get it now.

Momentary

Banned

I'm so mad that I'm getting a free game, a free side story that was once paid for DLC, and cosmetic items that don't affect gameplay. GRRRRRRR!!!!!

Pre-ordered, I've never played TOS so that will be a nice addition plus i had some money in my steam wallet it was the right time to use it.
Exact same situation here. Hopefully we get the other game as well since I've heard amazing things about it.
Nevermind TOS for free, awesome.

So, how is Nvidia Gamestream anyway? Considering, as always, the coop in Tales games has always been local-only, anyone wondering how effective Gamestream will be for getting around that?

kiyomi

Okay, so it's fine because it doesn't have the superfluous items that you'd lose by picking one preorder bonus over another, and it doesn't have the option of arriving a few days earlier (also kind of a "nothing" bonus.).

Instead, it has two tiers of completely non-essential costume DLC and a free game. So because you don't lose anything, people are totally fine with it.

Preorder incentives have gotten to the point where people think this shit is acceptable, and y'all just lap it up.

This is just giving away free stuff that would be available through other methods. It's also very simple - you pre-order a game, one that's been out in a territory at that, you get some free stuff. Deus Ex you had to choose one bonus or the other for each tier. It was overly gamified and confusing. It locked out content (though nothing major), which is especially unappealing when the precedent for these types of things is just to give pre-ordering more value.

Durante

I think the fundamental difference here is that the pre-order bonus people are really excited about is Tales of Symphonia, and there's really no way to argue that this was "cut out of the game" or should have been part of the normal purchase.

Okay, so it's fine because it doesn't have the superfluous items that you'd lose by picking one preorder bonus over another, and it doesn't have the option of arriving a few days earlier (also kind of a "nothing" bonus.).

Instead, it has two tiers of completely non-essential costume DLC and a free game. So because you don't lose anything, people are totally fine with it.

Preorder incentives have gotten to the point where people think this shit is acceptable, and y'all just lap it up.

I don't understand what you are trying to get at.

Pre-order incentives have been going on for basically ever in the gaming world. There is absolutely nothing malicious about how Bamco is doing the pre-order bonuses for this game. At all.

Giving away a free game if enough pre-orders are met is perfectly acceptable to me and actually makes me want to buy the game more since I will be getting a bonus by doing so.

You sound like you are trying to stir the pot to stir the pot.

Momentary

Banned

Yep. I lap it up just like the dog that I am. I didn't buy this game for pre-order bonuses. I bought this game to support JRPGs to come over to STEAM. So just because I get bonuses for buying this game early after seeing how well it performed on a live stream and want more of this genre on the platform, you're saying I bought this because of DLC? Thanks for generalizing big dawg. You're awesome. On top of that... attacking these preorder incentives is pretty much grasping at straws.

Seda

I've played Tales of Symphonia more times than I care to admit on Gamecube and PS3. Looking forward to playing through it again.

kiyomi

I think the fundamental difference here is that the pre-order bonus people are really excited about is Tales of Symphonia, and there's really no way to argue that this was "cut out of the game" or should have been part of the normal purchase.

Right. I totally get why people are excited to get a free game. But to me, I dunno, it still seems like something of a hypocrisy. That's all I'm getting at.

Hektor

Giving away something completely unrelated to the game, like a copy of another game is preorder bonus done right (If we ignore the DLC's) because it doesnt punish the people that dont preorder.

MUnited83

For you.

If all the preorders ever would start including the next games to be released as a bonus, I don't see how that isn't "acceptable". Seems pretty damn fine to me.

But of course, "hurr durr preorders hurr durr shitpost something something" I guess.~

Right. I totally get why people are excited to get a free game. But to me, I dunno, it still seems like something of a hypocrisy. That's all I'm getting at.

Completely different situations that have nothing to do with each other and have completely different contexts have a different perception from people? SHOCKER

It's like saying people liking cosmetic microtransactions on F2P games that don't affect gameplay and are fairly balanced can't complain about stupid F2P microtransactions. IT'S HIPOCRISY because they like it when it's done right. of course.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Is this PC only? I'm kinda bummed that I won't get a free game for buying the PS4 version even though I get all the costume/item packs.

the only thing they had in common was tiered rewards

with Zestiria you got everything offered per tier

with Deus Ex you had to choose one item each tier (and by doing that locked out the other choices) and getting the game early was tied to the amount of pre-orders instead of just being for pre-ordering like other games have done

Nyoro SF

How vague

Especially when just looking at the system briefly shows that it's not at all the same

I dislike preorder bonuses but they can't be changed, sadly, because that's what the market wants. But if this is the system used, I'd prefer that to retailer-specific nonsense.

Top Bottom