• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEEL COMBAT (New fighting game by the developer of MVC3) for Oculus Rift announced

miku

HIiGtsP.jpg

Hmm...

q5rkzZU.gif

- Developed by 8ing/Eighting
- Robot called VR (Voluntary Ranger)
- Freely choose between close range and long range combat mode during battle
- Online mode, training mode, spectator mode
- Release this summer 2016

4gamer

Venfayth

Those screens are incredibly hard to parse visually. MVC3 had the cartoony aesthetic going for it which helped in that regard, but you commonly heard people complaining about the same thing.

That being said, as a Rift owner I'm incredibly intrigued by the idea, will be keeping an eye on this.

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

okay I guess? VR fighting games could be a really cool genre. This doesn't look like the ticket to that coolness, but I dislike mechs anyway so I'm a bit biased in that regard.

HotHamBoy

The robots are too bland.

I feel like fighting games live and die by the strength of their character designs. I mean, you didn't see a lot of Americans playing Virtua Fighter 5 FS.

Oh wow I didn't know Eighting worked on MVC3

Would rather a shmup in VR but that doesn't seem to be their focus anymore

Nzyme32

How does VR play into this? Floating camera?

As you can see from the first screen in the OP, seems to be based around a seated / standing player, with the fight occurring in 360 around them rather than in front of them alone. It's pretty much just a translation of any fighting game to VR.

Didn't care too much for MvC3 but that was more me. This kinda reminds me of Cyberbots.

Wish it didn't REQUIRE Oculus though.

Kinda glad they are working on something else that isn't Marvel though.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

Eighting did a lot of fighting games: they did the Bloody Roar series, MvC3 and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, the early Naruto fighting games for Gamecube, even weird stuff like Castlevania Judgement and the Fate/Stay Night fighting game. (They also worked on a few of the more recent Monster Hunter games.)

They're owned by a larger company now and they'll probably be doing VR projects like this one from now on.
Yeah, from finding out about games like Garegga and Batrider I saw it was developed by Raizing/Eighting but never understood the significance of the different branding. The more you know, etc

This rules

Oh for fucks sake. Not only PC exclusive but VR exclusive and OR VR exclusive?

This is bullshit. Nobody is strapping these blocks of circuity onto their face to play a fighting game.

DrArchon

First off, who wants a VR exclusive fighting game? Second, who wants an Oculus exclusive VR exclusive fighting game?

What an awful idea. This is doomed to die in obscurity.

Oh for fucks sake. Not only PC exclusive but VR exclusive and OR VR exclusive?

This is bullshit. Nobody is strapping these blocks of circuity onto their face to play a fighting game.
Oh, I'd love to try VR fighting someday, but I'm very sad that this game makes it obligatory (for a specific VR device to boot). What a shame.

Regiruler

I've preferred eighting's 3D output but they're a fantastic studio nonetheless. Definitely have my eyes on this.

EDIT: wait, is it 2D or 3D? With eighting's gameplay style it's hard to tell from screens.

Really curious if there's any deeper VR implementation to it. From the screens, I'm guessing your view is in the center of a "ring" where the characters can fight and rotate around on the periphery with no corners/walls (thus the curved UI and floor).

Regiruler

Absolutely in love with the colors used for the art style.
Eighting did a lot of fighting games: they did the Bloody Roar series, MvC3 and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, the early Naruto fighting games for Gamecube, even weird stuff like Castlevania Judgement and the Fate/Stay Night fighting game. (They also worked on a few of the more recent Monster Hunter games.)

They're owned by a larger company now and they'll probably be doing VR projects like this one from now on.
They did the entries for Clash of Ninja on the Wii as well, not just the GameCube.

If this is a 3D fighter I may have to buy a Rift.

Foggy

Huh, looks neat and it has a solid pedigree. I'm skeptical of fighting games in VR but I'm to giving it a try. On the surface, a game like Blaze Rush seemed underwhelming for VR but in practice it's some of the most fun I've had.

Just noticed it's releasing this summer. Nice!

Top Bottom